Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CapnO']I had 2 games before the sale. I now have 16 at the cost of around $30. By the end of tomorrow I'll probably have around 25 games.

This sale has opened up a side of gaming that terrifies my addictive personality- collecting games.

I've seen some people's game library and I'm thoroughly terrified. 300+:shock:[/QUOTE]
I'm just a few games shy of 200.

I love walking away like a boss from these summer and holiday Steam sales.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Not sure if this has been linked here yet but if you still got a buck or two still left in your bank and want to rectify that, there is a great thread on Neogaf with suggestions and recommendations on various cheap indie games you've may have overlooked durring the sale.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436731

Some great titles can be had for $1, most are less then $5.

I just picked up Toki Tori and Zen Bound 2.[/QUOTE]

Dame you for providing this link. I planned to walk away from this sale without making any more purchases.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Loved the description under Vampires The Masquerade Bloodlines:

"JUST GET IT ALREADY" :lol:[/QUOTE]

If it would just go on a decent sale!

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Hey, for those of you that pick up P.A.M., make sure you get the free download pack that gives you three more vehicles and one new course.

It's a fun little racer that ranks you by how many points you score, not if you win the race. Also, it works great with the X360 controller. Much of the criticism for this title came from lack of content...today's low price and the additional dlc helps with that complaint, imo.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised. It looks great and plays well. I wish they had a few open Twisted Metal/Deathmatch style maps as well.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']... there is a great thread on Neogaf with suggestions and recommendations on various cheap indie games you've may have overlooked durring the sale.

[/QUOTE]

I've got a smallish under $5 list too of games I've personally played or am interested in. Post your recommendations in the thread!

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8644615&postcount=23

Damn. I thought I was done with this sale, but now I'm tempted to get Blood Money based on all the praise it's getting. I really enjoyed the first 2 Hitman games back in the day, but gave up on Contracts prematurely for some reason and haven't gone back to the series since. I don't even really see myself having time to play it before the next sale, but it's only 2.49. Think I will sleep on it...

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Not sure if this has been linked here yet but if you still got a buck or two still left in your bank and want to rectify that, there is a great thread on Neogaf with suggestions and recommendations on various cheap indie games you've may have overlooked durring the sale.

Some great titles can be had for $1, most are less then $5.

I just picked up Toki Tori and Zen Bound 2.[/QUOTE]

Definitely going to pick up Zen Bound 2... I was looking through that list and saw Drakensang: RoT http://store.steampowered.com/app/33770/

Uh.. that game looks kind of awesome, has anyone played it?

[quote name='VexxedCS']Definitely going to pick up Zen Bound 2... I was looking through that list and saw Drakensang: RoT http://store.steampowered.com/app/33770/

Uh.. that game looks kind of awesome, has anyone played it?[/QUOTE]

Looked up some videos on youtube. Seems to play like Dragon Age Origins. I woudl pick it up but the backlog is big enough already without having to add a $10 game to it. Maybe if it was a bit cheaper...

The first game has a Meta score of 75. Might be worth checking out as well.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-dark-eye-drakensang

[quote name='VexxedCS']Definitely going to pick up Zen Bound 2... I was looking through that list and saw Drakensang: RoT http://store.steampowered.com/app/33770/

Uh.. that game looks kind of awesome, has anyone played it?[/QUOTE]

I bought Drakensang: RoT and though I haven't played much I do like it. The storyline is lighter in the early going compared to something like the Dragon Age games, but I kind of welcome that after playing so many games that start off with so much doom and gloom. Graphics are pleasant and the turn-based combat was fine. You don't need to play the first one to get into this one (RoT is actually a prequel), but there'll be the occasional reference to the first game now and then. You'll be fine.

Some things to note:

• There is no manual available for the game, not even a .pdf. The non-NA retail versions included a manual (or perhaps it was just the collectors editions). Having said that, everyone online points to the original Drakensang manual as just fine since the game systems are pretty much alike. Here's the first Drakensang manual.
  • Here's a good starter FAQ to get you going early on in the game. It explains a lot about the system.
  • There are a series of codes you can use to obtain free extra items found here. Just make sure to talk to the person mentioned (the rider with the horse in the harbor) to obtain your goods. I own the D2D version of the game and used the first few codes (not the last two - I didn't know they existed until this evening) to good success. IIRC, the names of the items and/or their descriptions were written in German, but you should be able to figure what's what just fine. All those years of studying German in high school and college finally paid off for me :D
  • Here's a couple of good forums for the game, too: Official forum and RPG Watch forum.
    Take advantage of the poorly documented quick travel feature in the game. Once you pass through a quick travel "zone" you can travel there at anytime if you're in a similar "zone". Think of them as loose teleportation hubs.

Sorry to make this a long post, folks, but I thought it would be good to give people an informed idea of what to expect. The lack of a dedicated manual and deeper tutorial really threw me at first, but I soon got the hang of things just fine. Consider it recommended :)

finally broke my drought and got terraria and The Prince of Persia pack.

PoP was actually on sale not too long ago and I regetted passing on it. 5 games for 15 bucks... I've never really played any of em but if even one is decent I'll be happy.

Call me crazy (and maybe everyone is already talking about this its too late at night for me to re read everyones latest posts) but at like 1pm cdt i could of sworen Terraria was like 2.50 for 1 and 7.50 for 4... oh well Its still in my price point and Im too in love with sprites to keep passing on this game.

on a horrible note, Im going out of town for a week and I am scared to death of what I am going to miss between this and the GoG sale. I could drive about 20 minutes each day to a wifi spot and make purchases with my iphone... Yeah I'll be doing that probably, lol.

EDIT 1 for responses to other posts.

Meridian Pack: I really enjoyed Syberia Syberia II and Still Life (except that you cant skip thru dialog) and I think they we're really underrated.

Civ: Civ 4 is way better than Civ 3 and Civ 5. Been playing Civ since SNES.

Vampire the Masqurade: Bloodlines: This is kind of a "if you dont already know it you probably dont want to know it" but if you really like RPG's and Vampires then you will happily suffer thru the flaws in the game. If you can still get your hands on the unofficial patches (no idea how that would work with a steam game) then you'll be fine. This is actually the second game in the series, based off a PnP game and I love em both, have played thru multiple times and enjoyed it, tho their far from perfect.

EDIT 2, yeah I see people talking about how Terriana was a diff price for a while... oh well. Like I said I need those sprites to live a happy life so 5 bucks? Im down.

Ps If I seem off its cuz im waiting for my sleeping pills to k

[quote name='TraBuch']Anyone recommend the Meridian 4 Adventure Pack?

Has:
Syberia
Syberia II
Still Life
Still Life II
Stratches
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortal
[/QUOTE]

Ugh... at $5/ea I could say no to Syberia 1 & 2/Still Life 1 & 2, but $7.50 per pack or $20 for all 6... that's a good price.

Hinterland is a bunch of decent ideas but at its heart it is just a really lousy, clunky Diablo-style game that you've seen all there is to it once you've played a couple of games. I've forgotten most of it, but you grow and defend your town by occasionally hiring people into it when folks who can do the jobs you need to fill out all the checkboxes you need come a knocking. While this is going on, you're traipsing about the map engaging in really dull combat looking for the encounters that you can handle at your level. It promises stuff like fancy loot or pulling villagers out to form an adventuring party but everything involved on that end is clunky as heck.

If it's $2.50, you'll get that much fun out of it and no more. Any more and I can't recommend it. It's most definitely DIFFERENT but it just doesn't deliver on the fundamentals. And it's mostly different in that it combines two tepid genres that are hard to get right and gets neither of them right.

EDIT: Just remembered why forming a party was a giant pain: Villagers have their own XP levels and the end goal is to clear all the limited encounters on the map, each with varied levels. If you ever reach a point where you need those nitwits to fight with you, they won't be leveled enough. If you try to herd them with you earlier, you have to babysit them and give them experience. It's a system that suggests no right answers.

Grabbed the following.

VVVVVV - Giantbomb discussed the music of this game during GOTY time. Demo was pretty fun.

Ben There, Dan That + Time Gentlemen, Please! - Saw a few recommendations. Is there an order in which to play this?

Puzzle Agent - Another GB recommendation.

VVVVVV is utterly fantastic. It's tough but fair, and only THAT ONE BIT is rage-level hard. Everything else is just clever and great. This game is the last day buy you should all be saving for. I prefer it over Super Meat Boy.

Been there Dan That is first. Then Time Gentlemen.

On a related note, Beat Hazard's DLC adds a lot of good content to the game but it does nothing to fix the fundamental problem with the experience that you are still playing Beat Hazard. Eugh.

I have examined NeoGAF's list and found it wanting. It lists a lot of real stinkers. Don't be a moron like me and get suckered into dropping dollar after dollar on indie crap. Most of it is crap and my 'Regret Buying' category in Steam grows every time I fall for the siren song. It is easy to forget that, say, Doc Clock and the Toasted Sandwich of time is a lousy game and Professor Fizzwizzle (Sadly not on sale) is a damn fine game, and it's even easier to forget WHY one sucks and the other rocks.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
I have examined NeoGAF's list and found it wanting. It lists a lot of real stinkers. Don't be a moron like me and get suckered into dropping dollar after dollar on indie crap.[/QUOTE]

Independent games are no different from any other type of game. Indie freaks will convince themselves a bad indie game is good in the same way first person shooter freaks will convince themselves a bad shooter is good.

Don't let indie developers off the hook because "EA is evil!!! support indy developer!" bullshit.

Speaking of indie games, I hope Trine goes back on sale or even Magicka. Ive havent spent anything on this sale so tomorrow I have to get something.

[quote name='Spokker']Independent games are no different from any other type of game. Indie freaks will convince themselves a bad indie game is good in the same way first person shooter freaks will convince themselves a bad shooter is good.

Don't let indie developers off the hook because "EA is evil!!! support indy developer!" bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I've been noticing this a lot lately, particularly with Indie games. Saw a lot of people get grief during this sale for not wanting to "support indy developers" by buying their games. That card was pulled quite a few times in the aftermath of the Terraria debacle earlier today.

Curses. Just saw "The Whispered World". 66% off, but that's still $10.20, which is quite a lot for one game during Steam sales. Reviews vary quite a bit... Anyone tried it?

I'm having a problem resisting Guardians of Graxia. The reviews are saying the game is pretty difficult, which is a big turn-off for me. I love Magic: The Gathering, so I feel like I would like this game.

Can someone let me know their impression?

I wish they recap Trine and Torchlight. Maybe Mass Effect 2, I was hoping they would do the DLC packs but hey it's no big deal.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just recommending NyxQuest. $2.50. Great little platformer, ported from Wiiware.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna have to counter your recommendation. The game just wont save for me. When I first played it, I spent about an hour, and shut it down. The game is supposed to save each time you go through a portal (checkpoint), but when I went back to play it again later, it hadn't saved my progress. I tried playing it a couple of more times, but each time it wouldn't save. Apparently I'm not alone having this problem. There's a topic on the NyxQuest steam forum where several people reported having the same problem.

While I only recently tried to play the game, apparently this has been a problem for at least half a year. Yet at this point, there's no word on if this problem is gonna be fixed.

Apparently, this isn't a problem for everyone who plays, so maybe you'll get lucky and it'll save for you. For what it's worth, I did enjoy the game to the extent that i was able to play, but having to start over again each time I played got old real quick.

I'm having a problem accessing the steam site itself... Perhaps it's related?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Is anyone having problems running Defense Grid lately? I cannot get the game to launch anymore, even after re-installing the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']I'm having a problem accessing the steam site itself... Perhaps it's related?[/QUOTE]

I was in the middle of posting a recommendation for Trine, and everything went down.

[quote name='dmdragon']Oh by the way, I tried the HD mod for HL2 and the episodes, it's freaking amazing. It is however like 20 gigs to install, but it really updates the source engine well.. Look for Fake Factory CM10. Spoiler for size

from this

alyx_full.jpg

to this

alyx1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hoo boy... I've played the orange box on my 360 quite a while ago but this makes me want to replay the whole HL2 saga all over again :D

Think I'll keep my eye out for the orange box on the next sale. Bookmarked the download page for this mod, too.

I saw you need a killer PC for it though, MINIMUM of 4gb ram... I guess my PC might barely run it.

[quote name='Indignate']I've been noticing this a lot lately, particularly with Indie games. Saw a lot of people get grief during this sale for not wanting to "support indy developers" by buying their games. That card was pulled quite a few times in the aftermath of the Terraria debacle earlier today.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, exactly, crappy game is crappy game, just like a good one is a good one. I don't have different standards for games based on who made them. I don't care if it's one guy who spent $40, or 400 people who spent millions of dollars. All I care about is the end product. There are great "indie" and corporate games just like there are many, many horrible ones.

[quote name='jkimrey']I'm having a problem accessing the steam site itself... Perhaps it's related?[/QUOTE]

I exited steam, and ran it "as administrator" and everything went back to being fine.

How annoying.

[quote name='Indignate']I've been noticing this a lot lately, particularly with Indie games. Saw a lot of people get grief during this sale for not wanting to "support indy developers" by buying their games. That card was pulled quite a few times in the aftermath of the Terraria debacle earlier today.[/QUOTE]

I've read most of this thread over the week and there was really only one person who repeatedly said "ALL indie games suck!!" until we beat him down like the wanna be troll he was.

Of course there are both great and lame games of all types. Anyone who claims a type of game is absolute in its greatness/lameness is delusional.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Loved the description under Vampires The Masquerade Bloodlines:

"JUST GET IT ALREADY" :lol:[/QUOTE]

I got it back in 2009 from a Halloween sale at D2D for $5. The price its at now, well I would say wait, it wil get cheaper. If you have not even heard of the game until now, or have waited this long, I would say you can wait until the Black Friday deals come along.

[quote name='cRodz']So there is definitely going to be a recap?[/QUOTE]

There will definitely, might be, likely be a recap. (Probably of the best sellers of the past 9 days....maybe). ;)

[quote name='cRodz']So there is definitely going to be a recap?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ryogahibiki']There will definitely, might be, likely be a recap. (Probably of the best sellers of the past 9 days....maybe). ;)[/QUOTE]

We certainly can't know if there will be a recap. Steam has a tendency to re-run major deals on the final day of a sale.

Me, I hope it's all new stuff. :D

Wow, Terraria is in the #2 spot for Top Sellers. It had vanished yesterday, but perhaps that was just related to the pricing issue.

I know I helped Terraria along, buying my first 4-pack since I joined Steam.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I have examined NeoGAF's list and found it wanting. It lists a lot of real stinkers. Don't be a moron like me and get suckered into dropping dollar after dollar on indie crap. Most of it is crap and my 'Regret Buying' category in Steam grows every time I fall for the siren song. It is easy to forget that, say, Doc Clock and the Toasted Sandwich of time is a lousy game and Professor Fizzwizzle (Sadly not on sale) is a damn fine game, and it's even easier to forget WHY one sucks and the other rocks.[/QUOTE]

That's your problem there. NeoGAF is like a retirement home for vets and conspiracy theorists of gaming. Hardly any good and useful info comes from that place, just bitching and complaining really.

Question, I am getting low on hard drive space after this Steam sale, basically can I uninstall some the steam games and keep my save game files? So I can reinstall at a later date and not have to start all over again?

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just recommending NyxQuest. $2.50. Great little platformer, ported from Wiiware.[/QUOTE]

If you're interested in NyxQuest (which is fun), I'd recommend checking out Capsized. It's an astronaut shooter/platformer/puzzler that shares some similar mechanics to NyxQuest. But Capsized has wonderful music, a quirky art style and some clever puzzles in the latter stages.

[quote name='Poor2More']Question, I am getting low on hard drive space after this Steam sale, basically can I uninstall some the steam games and keep my save game files? So I can reinstall at a later date and not have to start all over again?[/QUOTE]
make sure the games you want to uninstall have "steam cloud" support or you'll lose your progress.

[quote name='Poor2More']Question, I am getting low on hard drive space after this Steam sale, basically can I uninstall some the steam games and keep my save game files? So I can reinstall at a later date and not have to start all over again?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='malfuncti0n']make sure the games you want to uninstall have "steam cloud" support or you'll lose your progress.[/QUOTE]

I have uninstalled and reinstalled many Steam games, and my saves have always remained. These games have not had Steam Cloud support. For example, I just reinstalled And Yet It Moves the other day and started playing from where I had left off.

You sure can. If it's a Valve or Steamworks game, it will keep your saves in your Steam folder (Steam>steamapps>common>(game name) ). No matter how many times you uninstall your game, the saves will always be there -- unless you reformat.

Before deleting the games, I'd recommend backing them up onto a disk with the backup utility if they're a few gigs. Downloading 8 gig games time and time again eats up a lot of time.

BTW - if anyone else is interested in this, it's $6.54 on Amazon download.

[quote name='jkimrey']Curses. Just saw "The Whispered World". 66% off, but that's still $10.20, which is quite a lot for one game during Steam sales. Reviews vary quite a bit... Anyone tried it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='utopianmachine']I have uninstalled and reinstalled many Steam games, and my saves have always remained. These games have not had Steam Cloud support. For example, I just reinstalled And Yet It Moves the other day and started playing from where I had left off.[/QUOTE]
oh really? damn i had no idea it works that way. awesome, haha. thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back