Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sp8001']Who was able to earn the most tickets here?

I earned a grand total of 33 over the course of the sale... I know that can't be the highest number though. I didn't buy any games to try and get more, I just played the games I already owned for tickets. Surprisingly I had quite a few of those games :D!

I'm interested to see what you guys were able to accomplish ;)...[/QUOTE]

I was able to earn 49 so far with around 7 more potential that I may do today.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Miloz/

[quote name='MSI Magus']Any thoughts on the The Maw(with DLC)and Stubbs the Zombie? On the fence about both as a last day sale, especially Stubbs since I know its pretty damn old at this point.[/QUOTE]

Stubbs was a fun game, I've played it all they way through and had a great time with it. There is only one part that was frustrating for me, it's been awhile since I finished it but I remember there was a part with a couple tanks and you had to kill the drivers or something. Anyway, a fun, funny game all around.

Okay, so the damage for me this year:

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Painkiller: Redemption
Nation Red
Garry's Mod
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year
Sanctum
Killing Floor - Steampunk Mr. Froster DLC
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Magicka Complete Pack (June 2011)
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
=$54.40

Plus my wife has been wanting a few of the Sims 3 expansions pack and since the whole collection is only $79.99 on Steam I had her go ahead and buy that too.

When I first was gonna post what I had picked up during the sale I was only going to list a few games, and talk about how I should have jumped on more of the deals. Well now that they pretty much took all the best sellers from each day and put them on sale again I don't need to.

During this sale I picked up:

Knights of the Old Republic - $2.50
Deus Ex Collection - $5.00
Trine - $2.00
Borderlands GOTY - $7.50
Fallout Collection (The three original from way back when) -$10.00
Magicka Complete Pack - $8.50
Sanctum - $3.75

Total Spent - $39.25

Not a whole lot really, but I went for the cheaper stuff. When the christmas sale comes around...Ho boy, better watch out then Steam, you'll be getting a lot of bank from me then.

[quote name='shosh']if someone knows.

how big is borderlands vanilla supposed to be as a download?

im asking because i thought i got borderlands vanilla and when i tried to purchase goty edition, it said i already bought it.

so i went and redownload borderlands and its a 7 gig install. but its taking forever and probably wont be able to access it today to find out if i have all the dlc already.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I believe you should be able to right click the game in your Library and go to Properties. Should be a "DLC" tab there that will tell you all the DLC you have for the game. Works with Magicka and Killing Floor, anyway.

[quote name='Khamous']Do let me know if you bit on it, kinda considering it as well.[/QUOTE]

The demo is interesting. There's a LOT to keep track of. There's all kinds of stats and terms to figure out, but you can hover over anything for an explanation. The animations are good, but the game seems possibly too complicated and unclear. I'm afraid I'm going to pass. Some of the comments in the forum indicate the game is just too hard with very unclear objectives.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Everyone keeps pointing me towards The Longest Journey, can anyone who has played it recently tell me without nostalgia goggles if it's held up? I'm really interested, but the lack of multiple resolutions and the pretty awful graphics are keeping me away.[/QUOTE]

I played the demo and didn't find it terribly interesting. The graphics seem icky now, and a lot of the dialogue just went on too long. I'm sure it was great when it came out, but I'm going to pass now. I'd rather play Telltale Game's point-and-click adventures.

[quote name='sp8001']Who was able to earn the most tickets here?

I earned a grand total of 33 over the course of the sale... I know that can't be the highest number though. I didn't buy any games to try and get more, I just played the games I already owned for tickets. Surprisingly I had quite a few of those games :D![/QUOTE]

I think we found the winner of who has the most tickets. I ended up with 15 tickets and redeemed the Aaaah Mission, Guardians of Graxia Map Pack, and the Fate of the World Mission -- although I don't own any of those games. I have a feeling I'll get them at some point though. I did get the Delve Deeper prize, though I've yet to play that game.

I want Magicka but I couldn't get the demo to work, so I am a bit gun shy. I think I will go cheap and get the base and vietnam dlc, because I thought that was cute, lol.

This is what i've grabbed over the sale

Dawn of War - Retribution
Recettear
Magicka
Stalker
Nation Red
King Arthur Collection
Dead Rising 2
Lara Croft GOL
Sanctum
Anomaly: Warzone Earth

For $69. I've played at least a few minutes of most of them and the only one I regret purchasing was Magicka. The rest are solid.

This is what i've grabbed over the sale

Dawn of War - Retribution
Recettear
Magicka
Stalker
Nation Red
King Arthur Collection
Dead Rising 2
Lara Croft GOL
Sanctum
Anomaly: Warzone Earth

For $69. I've played at least a few minutes of most of them and the only one I regret purchasing was Magicka. The rest are solid.

Picked up Terraria for my son and I last night. Was going to play it a few minutes this morning to see what it was like. 4h+ later and we are still playing it. Cant put my finger on what makes it so good but its really fun.

[quote name='sp8001']Who was able to earn the most tickets here? [/QUOTE]

I've got 47 completed. I'll probably have another 5 or so done today. Too many tickets and not enough prizes imo.

[quote name='dmdragon']Kind of wish i wouldn't have missed Zombie Driver, I just played the demo and kind of liked it.[/QUOTE]

It's 66% off right now - that's $3.40. You can feel really good about that purchase if you enjoyed the demo. This is another game that the developer has added a lot to since it first came out and there's a good bit of content now. Grab that prize ticket while you're at it.

Alright, so I'm down to the last small chunk of change left for the sale, and I can get either Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines or GTA IV: Complete. I'm not a fan of either per se, but am interested in giving either a try.

Any advice, impressions, or experiences people would like to share? Since (it seems) that the Steam version of GTA IV can be rolled back to a previous patch that supports mods, that's tempting. But VtM:B gets a lot of praise on GAF as an RPG. Since VtM:B goes on sale very rarely, I'm leaning towards that, but I'm just not sure.

Advice, fellow CAGs?

[quote name='Viper45']Well this was easily the worst Steam sale I've taken part it. My haul was already tiny, but combine the Terraria price hike yesterday with the fact that none of the games I was on the fence on (and passed up) are on the recap today... this sale is ending with about the sadest whimper I could have imagined. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

This was a fantastic sale, one of the best yet. The 4 things to always remember when a Steam sale rolls around:

RULE #1 - If it's a daily deal, BUY IT, it won't get cheaper (don't rely on price mistakes).
RULE #2 - When it's a daily deal, check to see if there's a 4-Pack available. You can save a few extra $.
RULE #3 - If it's a larger title or a newer game, wait until the last day to purchase it to see if it will be a daily deal.
RULE #4 - Make a list and stick to it otherwise your wallet will suffer greatly.

Remember these for next time and you won't be :wall: but rather \\:D/ since everyone else will simply be :-({|= for you.

EDIT: On a side note, if anyone still want's Terreria, check out the group buy thread. You can get a 4-Pack and still save a few bucks ($3.75 vs $.4.99): http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279563.

[quote name='keroppilee']I like sir rodericks stories that go with the sale art[/QUOTE]
I like the Holiday Sale reference in the final letter.
"...guess who probably has a girlfriend!"

Time to join the recap bandwagon.

For my husband:
iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Might and Magic V + DLC - $5.00
iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Borderlands GOTY Edition - $6.08
iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition - $10.20

For me:
iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Back to the Future: The Game - $12.49

iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Beat Hazard Complete - $3.24
iconpcwin.gif
Steam: King's Bounty: Collection - $6.99
iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Lara Croft Anniversary - $2.99

iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Puzzle Kingdoms - $3.74

iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Winter Voices: Those who have no name - $2.49

iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Spectromancer + League of Heroes + Truth & Beauty - $4.99
iconpcwin.gif
Steam: Flight Control HD - $1.25

For me, my husband, and two friends:
iconpcwin.gif
Steam:
Terraria 4-Pack - $7.49

Total: $66.95

I'm pretty pleased. :D

[quote name='hal']I've got 47 completed. I'll probably have another 5 or so done today. Too many tickets and not enough prizes imo.

It's 66% off right now - that's $3.40. You can feel really good about that purchase if you enjoyed the demo. This is another game that the developer has added a lot to since it first came out and there's a good bit of content now. Grab that prize ticket while you're at it.[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of broke now from the rest of the sale so I may get it later, and that's even better for the dev because I'll end up paying more for it lol.

And now that is all said and done, my damage report:

Alien Breed 2: Assault 0.00
And Yet It Moves 2.50
BIT.TRIP BEAT 2.50
BIT.TRIP RUNNER 2.50
Braid 2.49
Deus Ex: GOTY 2.49
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition 10.20
Lara Croft GOL & Kain Character Pack 4.60
Magicka 3.39
Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle 7.49
Portal 6.69
Time Gentleman, Please! & Ben There, Dan That! 1.24
Toki Tori 1.24
Torchlight 2.99
VVVVVV 2.49

Total = $52.81, very slightly over my $50 budget

My purchases were one part "Hey, it's under $5," one part "finally having a gaming-capable PC," and one part "I guess I should finally play Portal." Portal 2 will have to wait until the next big sale, and by then I'll hopefully be through most of these and other games in the backlog.

If anyone has an extra copy of Terraria for less than $5 from the four pack (or when it was $2.50) please let me know, I have Paypal ready!

i am hosting a 4pack of sanctum if anyone is interested pm me.

2.47 USD

EDIT: all slots taken, deal is done. thanks to Blazncheetah, cabhills, and docvinh :) feedback left for everyone.

[quote name='KillerQueen87']And now that is all said and done, my damage report:My purchases were one part "Hey, it's under $5," one part "finally having a gaming-capable PC," and one part "I guess I should finally play Portal." Portal 2 will have to wait until the next big sale, and by then I'll hopefully be through most of these and other games in the backlog.[/QUOTE]

I heartily approve of your list. A lot of great stuff on there. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. This is the first major Steam sale that I actually owned a gaming computer for. My husband built one for me earlier this year, and I've been transitioning away from the 360 and more towards Steam. The only games I usually played were XBLA games, and those kind of games tend to me more Steam-ish. I still play my 3DS, but my 360 has been gathering dust.

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']I'd recommend to not get any of the DLC for Retribution. Most of the gear for Last Stand is worthless (except space marine) and no one really plays multiplayer.[/QUOTE]
oh ok guess ill pass then

I know that the last day of the sales is always a bestsellers day, but I don't think stuff should be up two days in a row. Should be second chance to reconsider and grab stuff you missed a week ago, not yesterday.

Didn't set a budget, but happy where it fell:

Just Cause 2
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition, Two Worlds II
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword, Frozen Synapse - Two Pack
Defense Grid Map Packs (noticed too late that I could get them with tickets)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, Beat Hazard - Ultra
Beat Hazard Complete
Jamestown
Sanctum 4-Pack
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
Supreme Commander 2 - Infinite War Battle Pack One

$90.13

You'll notice some double-dipping (I actually have the DA:O CE...), so some of these were gifts for my friend's birthday. It's...it's pretty convenient.

Got 15 tickets and spent them on Magicka, Zombie Driver, Monday Night Combat, X3:TC, and the TF2 shades. A lot of the good things I already had (Terraria when it was $2.50 - wish I could gave gifted a friend a 4-pack), and at around $70...this was a good summer.

Got Fallout 3 GOTY the other day, New Vegas worth it or should I wait? Have a massive backlog and not sure if I need to beat Fallout 3 first before playing New Vegas.

for anyone that has Dawn of War II: Retribution, what does it say under your dlc tab? i have 3 dlc's that i didn't pick up but theres no way to see what they are as the dlc window is too small

Does anyone questions whether today's daily deals are truly the best sellers of the week of daily deals?

I find myself looking at the list and thinking that Steam picks the list internally based on other factors. Maybe total profit for the day or based on which games they make most profit from on that day they were a daily deal.

I dunno - I just have a hard time believing some of those really were best sellers...

[quote name='aus_nacht']I'm kicking myself for missing beat hazard. Is it worth 5/6.50?[/QUOTE]

I'd wait. Beathazard is in every sale.

[quote name='jamezuva']Any of the Just Cause 2 DLC worth it?[/QUOTE]

Some of it? The plane, there's a neat multirocket launcher...it's cheap, right? I explained more of it over here. There are mods that make them free, but you can't get them free (in-game) without the DLC. I'd at least get the rocket-propelled parachute pack and the explosives; and the one that has the plane in it.

[quote name='CapnO']Is magicka any good solo?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='djsmf435']Is Magicka like Gauntlet? I want this game, someone convince me.[/QUOTE]
I thught Magicka was a lot better in multiplay due to Solo just feeling...downtrodden and slow. It's a lot more fun with people. :D Also, not as frantic/quick as Gauntlet...but similar, and much slower.

[quote name='aus_nacht']I'm kicking myself for missing beat hazard. Is it worth 5/6.50?[/QUOTE]
Do you think Asteroids on sounds fun? Grab it if you've got some more upbeat stuff to listen to. It's...it's pretty weird with classical music, with a lull in the intensity DURING A BOSS BATTLE. Metal/techno/rock/whatever-you-kids-these-days-are-listening-to would probably work fine.

My haul this summer was MUCH smaller than the last couple summers. My wallet is thanking me!

Just Cause 2, Agency Hovercraft DLC, & Black Market Boom Pack DLC
All the Magicka DLC
Terraria
Mass Effect 2

I gifted Trine to a friend, and had Magicka gifted to me which is why I went ahead and bought the DLC.

From the Prize Booth, I got:
AAAAAAA! - Brutal Concussion mission
Killing Floor - Steampunk Character Pack
Magicka - The Lonely Cruise map
TF2 - Summer Shades
Portal 2 - Goo Gear Snorkels
Defense Grid - Resurgence Map Packs

All in all, not bad for ~23 dollars spent total. :)

[quote name='fishphoenix']Got Fallout 3 GOTY the other day, New Vegas worth it or should I wait? Have a massive backlog and not sure if I need to beat Fallout 3 first before playing New Vegas.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you - just got GOTY and was mulling NV. FWIW I decided to hold out for the inevitable NV GOTY edition or similar with all DLC packed in. I won't get around to playing it until next summer sale...so figure that'd be perfect timing to see that sucker on sale.

I noticed some people ragging on GAF and I think there if a big difference in the communities.

The CAG community is more interested in saving money in the context of the games they've heard of, or at the very least, are publicized to them, rather being of the mind to try anything at least once. Especially if there is money involved. They would rather spend cash on a sure thing instead of throwing it at something they have never heard of.

The community over at GAF are fans of gaming in general. It seems to be varied enough that people are willing to try anything and everything thrown their way at least once and they don't seem to be scared to spend their cash. If you look at their main page, they have a picture thread dedicated just to how much people splurge on a daily basis, regardless of cost.

[quote name='ForeStorm']

I thught Magicka was a lot better in multiplay due to Solo just feeling...downtrodden and slow. It's a lot more fun with people. :D Also, not as frantic/quick as Gauntlet...but similar, and much slower.

[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the response. I'm more of a solo gamer than a social gamer. I'll probably pass on magicka.

Bought Darksiders, Torchlight, Magicka, and Sanctum. I'm going to really try and make a conscious effort to play these games instead of just letting them collect virtual dust.

My Haul...
Penny Arcade Combo Pack - $1.80
Left 4 Dead 2 - $4.99
Torchlight - $2.99Star Wars: KOTOR - $2.49
Magicka - Gift (Thanks Buj!)
Total - $12.27

Pretty good for not wanting to spend much money at all :)

And sitting on 13 tickets that got:
TF2 Shades Magicka Map, Killing Floor Characters and Alien Breed 2

Final Haul:

Individual Games:
Star Wars: KOTOR $2.49
Hoard 1/4 Pack $2.25
Monday Night Combat 1/4 Pack $2.81
Worms Reloaded 1/4 Pack $3.19
Terraria 1/4 Pack $1.88
Eschalon: Book I $3.74
Eschalon: Book II $4.99
Greep Corp $2.49
VVVVVV $2.49
Warhammer 40k: Retribution $7.49
Sanctum 1/4 Pack $2.47

Packs:
The Heroes Pack $4.99
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
HOMM V
HOMM V: Hammers of Fate
HOMM V: Tribes of the East

Penny Arcade Combo Pack $1.80
Precipice of Darkness, Episode One
Precipice of Darkness, Episode Two

DLC:
Magicka - Wizards Survival Kit $0.33
Magicka: Vietnam $1.69
Magicka: Watchtower $1.33
Magicka: Nippon $0.33
Magicka: Marshland $0.67
Magicka: Frozen Lake $0.67
Magicka: Final Frontier $1.00

Prizes
Team Fortress 2 Summer Shades
Monday Night Combat Summer Gear
Warhammer 40k: Blood Ravens Veteran's Helmet
Magicka: The Lonely Cruise
Serious Sam: Serious 8

Grand Total: $49.10

Hey guys, I've been thinking of picking something up this whole sale and finally decided to purchase something now. Unfortunately, I missed MW2 for $20 but there are still a few things I'm interested in

BF BC2 - really cheap and I've heard the multiplayer is good
Borderlands GOTY - SP and coop is a plus
AC : Brotherhood - really eager to play the multiplayer

How are these games? If you could only pick one, which would you pick?

[quote name='lito88']for anyone that has Dawn of War II: Retribution, what does it say under your dlc tab? i have 3 dlc's that i didn't pick up but theres no way to see what they are as the dlc window is too small[/QUOTE]

"Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Campaign DLC," "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Last Stand DLC," and "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Multiplayer DLC"

No idea if it was supposed to come with any of that.

I think I'm kinda interested in the THQ pack, but mostly for just the following:

Darksiders
Metro 2033
Titan Quest + Expansion
Warhammer 40K - Dawn of War II and Retribution

Excluding the other games, which I either already own (Stalker, Red Faction, Chaos Rising) and those which I have no interest in (Company of Heroes, Homefront, MX vs ATV, Saints Row 2), does anyone think its worth getting the THQ Hit Collection? Or do you think it'd be better to just piece things together over the next few sales?

Ok so from the whole week:

Nation Red (gift)
Heroes Pack $4.99
Battlefront II $2.49
KOTOR $2.49
Space Chem $5.09
Darksiders $4.99
Torchlight $2.99
Defense Grid $2.49
DA:O UE $10.20
M&B: FnS (Gift)
Frozen Synapse $12.49
GW:EotN $9.99
Clear Sky $2.49
Jamestown $4.99
A.R.E.S. $4.99
Dwarfs?! $4.99
Atom Zombie Smasher $2.99
Sanctum $3.00
Lara Croft GOL + DLC ($3.74+$2.58)
Fallout 3 GOTY $10.20
PAM 3pack $6.24
Magic 2012 (Gift)
Delve Deeper (Gift)
Spectromancer $4.99
Oddbox $5.10
Penny Arcade Combo Pack $1.80

Total= aprox. $115

Was aiming for around $100, so I guess I didnt go too over. Nice sale.

Also, 47 tickets and every prize I could use redeemed (+ Portal 2 item for when I get the game, lol)

I bought Magicka when it was on sale earlier and now that it's on sale again I was thinking about picking up the DLC. I was thinking about only getting the Vietnam pack, but figured I'd ask for opinions on the rest of the DLC. So, any CAG has opinions on if the DLC (especially the clothing only packs) are really worthwhile? Thanks.

[quote name='kyrhon']Shucks. It was 7.49 earlier??? Dang it. I was about to buy it for 14.99 but now I feel bad. So I won't buy it no more.[/QUOTE]
It was at that price a few minutes before the frontpage sale was up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back