Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing for me in the recap, so let's see what my total damages were for the sale:

Just Cause 2 (& DLC) - $7.25
Battlefield: BC2 - $5
Beat Hazard - $3
GTA IV Complete - $10
King's Bounty Collection - $7
Rift (x2, one for the wife) - $20
Terraria - $2.50

Total - $54.75. Not too shabby. :)

Bought non daily things today.

The Mawsome Pack 2.99
wanted more Majesty 2 so Paradox Fantasy Pack 7.99
and 1701 A. D. Gold 7.49.

Miss 5.00 indie packs from the last sale.

I about had a fit when I heard people were having saving issues with Nyxquest. I ran to check mine and it was doing just fine.

I'm on Windows 7 with UAC enabled (Hurr durr me.) so I don't know what the cause might be. Sorry for anyone I pointed into a game that doesn't work right but I had no troubles with it. I still think it's quite good, especially for $2.50, but if you guys can't run it right there's no point, is there?

Total damage so far:

BIT.TRIP RUNNER - $2.50
SpaceChem - $5.09
Magicka DLC - $5.74
Defense Grid Packs - $0.96
A.I. War Bundle - $4.49
Sanctum 4-Pack - $9.86
Worms Reloaded - $4.99

And today I'm considering:

Fate of the World - $4.99
Portal 2 - The Final Hours - $1.33

Which would put me at $30.07 total. Plus a simply absurd amount of stuff from the Prize Booth. I feel good about things.

I was considering Winter Voices, but it'll almost certainly be much cheaper once it's finished (if indeed it ever, like, gets finished).

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed some people ragging on GAF and I think there if a big difference in the communities.

The CAG community is more interested in saving money in the context of the games they've heard of, or at the very least, are publicized to them, rather being of the mind to try anything at least once. Especially if there is money involved. They would rather spend cash on a sure thing instead of throwing it at something they have never heard of.

The community over at GAF are fans of gaming in general. It seems to be varied enough that people are willing to try anything and everything thrown their way at least once and they don't seem to be scared to spend their cash. If you look at their main page, they have a picture thread dedicated just to how much people splurge on a daily basis, regardless of cost.

I don't know, I think you're over generalizing in both cases.

I can't claim that I'm speaking for all CAGs, but speaking for myself I can say thats not entirely true. I do in fact have a budget, I have tons to pay in college loans every month, have a sittay job at the moment, and have a lot of bills to pay. So yes, I do have a limit on what I can purchase.

What I do purchase however, is not what the big publishers shovel down my throat with marketing, but what I think actually might be a decent game. It all comes down to WHEN is the best time to buy it. As a regular CAG, I tend to notice trends in the way that Steam puts games on sale, and its easy to pick out things that will definitely show up next time (which is just about everything). Its not that I'm completely unreceptive to trying something new, it just doesn't make sense to buy something at a higher price point when:

• I already have hundreds of hours of games to play before I'd even get around it (I still have PS2 games that I haven't gotten around to)
  • It will definitely be cheaper in the future.
I might be wrong, but I think CAGs are more concerned with WHEN to buy rather than whats the best price to review-score ratio. So no, I probably won't buy everything that has been recommended to me, because it doesn't make sense for me. Not because they aren't good games.

Light sale for me this time, mostly because I already had most of the games on sale. Bought:

* Fallout 3 GOTY
* Some miscellaneous Just Cause 2 DLC
* The Mawsome Pack (maybe - probably will cuz I usually pick up $2-$3 games and play them a couple of hours before forgetting about them, like P.J. Winterbottom. It's cheaper than a lunch.)

My total haul:

Hydrophobia: Prophecy
Total War: Shogun 2 & DLC
Darksiders
Torchlight
Trine
Singularity
Deus Ex Collection
Killing Floor
Fallout 3 GOTY
Shatter
Sanctum

Total: ~$73

I got Bully: Scholarship Edition and The Sims 3.
Already have Trine and Braid from the humble bundles, or else those would've been bought as well.

I wanted to get Oblivion with all the DLC, but I didn't have any money in the bank at the time. :(

[quote name='Ethereality']"Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Campaign DLC," "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Last Stand DLC," and "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Multiplayer DLC"

No idea if it was supposed to come with any of that.[/QUOTE]

How were you able to see that?

Nothing for me today (its the last day isn't it?). My haul was pretty small - HL 2 Deathmatch and Killing Floor.

HL is good, liked playing it on PC years ago, dislike KF though.. but ah well.

Wish a few more titles were available on Mac because I would of brought alot more.

I've been checking for alternate platforms for the indie games I've been interested in, since I'd have a better chance of actually playing them on a handheld.

Zen Bound 1 & 2 are on sale for $0.99 on iTunes until 7/11; I'd also rather get Osmos on iPad, but I'll wait for a sale there.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']
The community over at GAF are fans of gaming in general. It seems to be varied enough that people are willing to try anything and everything thrown their way at least once and they don't seem to be scared to spend their cash. If you look at their main page, they have a picture thread dedicated just to how much people splurge on a daily basis, regardless of cost.[/QUOTE]
You do know that they too have a massive Steam sale thread, suggesting that many posters over there wish to save money right?

You might have a point about how they are not scared to spend money. They also have a big Steam sale regret thread. Spending money frivolously is nothing to be proud of, no matter how much money you may have. As a consumer, your wallet is the most important tool you have.

But if you want to talk about varied interests, my God, take a look at my collection. I've got the big budget blockbusters like Call of Duty and shit like Railworks and Cities in Motion. You'll find Psychonauts alongside Halo, Ico alongside Mario Galaxy and Mario Teaches Typing alongside Microsoft Excel. I've got varied interests exploding out my asshole.

Final damage:
Hoard: $2.25 (part of 4-pack)
Frozen Synapse: $6.25 (part of 2-pack)
Universe Sandbox: $4.99
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: $3.39
Hitman Blood Money: $2.49

Total: $19.37

SC:CT looks amazing on pc! Hoard is surprisingly fun. The only game I'm disappointed with is Frozen Synapse... I think you need police training to be good at that game.

Total damage so far:

BIT.TRIP RUNNER - $2.50
Magicka DLC - $5.74
Defense Grid Packs - $0.96
A.I. War Bundle - $4.49
Sanctum 4-Pack - $9.86
Worms Reloaded - $4.99

And today I'm considering:

Fate of the World - $4.99
Portal 2 - The Final Hours - $1.33

Which would put me at $25.66 total. Plus a simply absurd amount of stuff from the Prize Booth. I feel good about things.

I was considering Winter Voices, but it'll almost certainly be much cheaper once it's finished (if indeed it ever, like, gets finished).

Nothing, absolutely nothing. First steam sale I could ever say that. Most of the stuff that was really on sale for great prices I already have and the newer stuff wasn't marked down enough for me to pull the trigger.

See you at xmas Steam, hope you can do better or that I've gotten past this backlog.

My final haul:

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Darksiders
Mount & Blade Complete Pack
Fallout 3 GOTY
Aliens vs Predator
STALKER: Clear Sky
Battlefield Vietnam
Monday Night Combat
Killing Floor
Terraria
Just Cause
Just Cause 2 DLC packs
Magicka DLC

Total - $65.12

didn't spend nearly as much as I did during the holiday sale, mainly because I owned most the of the games that went on sale and I managed to stay within my budget

Picked up:

Back to the Future - 12.49
Dragon Age:Origins Ultimate - 10.20
Nation Red - 3.39
Penny Arcade Combo Pack - 1.80
Killing Floor - 4.99
Terraria - 2.49

...for a grand total of $35.36. Got pretty much everything I wanted plus a few impulse purchases and didn't spend too much overall so I'm happy.

Ok, here is the final listing.

Company of Heroes Gold Edition (should have got the complete but oh well)
Sanctum
Magicka (with Vietnam and Marshland DLC)

Grand total = 16.99

Not bad for a first big Steam Sale. Can't wait for the Winter Sale.

[quote name='KingDox']Nothing, absolutely nothing. First steam sale I could ever say that. Most of the stuff that was really on sale for great prices I already have and the newer stuff wasn't marked down enough for me to pull the trigger.

See you at xmas Steam, hope you can do better or that I've gotten past this backlog.[/QUOTE]

Steam would like to apologize to you SPECIFICALLY sincerely....

[quote name='crax']Here's some breaking news if you want Dawn of War 2 Retribution: Just $7.49 on Amazon thats half off the half off price on Steam! I just got it on Amazon, retail key activated on steam no problem at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-40k-Dawn-Retribution-Download/dp/B004NBZBM4/ref=dsvrt_myd_asin_block[/QUOTE]

You're my hero today. I clicked to buy on Amazon....turns out I had 7.38 in promotional downloads credit from earlier purchases. My credit card got charged 11 cents!

I know I'm the only one that bought Puzzle Kingdoms during this sale, but I'm really enjoying it. I had played the DS version a while, and eventually, I decided to put it down and wait for Steam to have it on sale. Sooo much prettier to look at in Steam.

[quote name='D4rkShaDoWz']Hey guys, I've been thinking of picking something up this whole sale and finally decided to purchase something now. Unfortunately, I missed MW2 for $20 but there are still a few things I'm interested in

BF BC2 - really cheap and I've heard the multiplayer is good
Borderlands GOTY - SP and coop is a plus
AC : Brotherhood - really eager to play the multiplayer

How are these games? If you could only pick one, which would you pick?[/QUOTE]

I've only played Borderlands (BFBC2 is in my backlog), but I'd say get the first 2 now (and consider that complete pack for BFBC2 is you want the vietnam thing), and wait for a lower price on Brotherhood next sale.

Heh, funny thing is Retribution was $7.49 on Steam today if you were on JUST as the daily sales changed. On that note, I hope I'm not the only person that got screwed by Terraria yesterday... I saw it for $2.49, told myself I'd buy it after a trip to town with my girlfriend, then came back to find it at $4.99. I was pissed.

...over two and a half bucks :p

[quote name='maguszxz']
Company of Heroes Gold Edition (should have got the complete but oh well)
[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, Tales of Valor only adds three rather short campaigns, some multiplayer units, and a few new multiplay modes. Sure, it's nice, but Opposing Fronts is really more important IMHO. Plus, Tales of Valor is bound to go on sale again somewhere and you don't have to buy it on Steam to get the benefits. I only own Tales of Valor on Steam, but the other two on Retail. I can still access all content when I log into my CoH account.

I believe I have the following:

Consolitis with Steam Fever

WebMD defines Consolitis as irritability and disapproval associated with a gaming console such as a Playstation 3, Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii. Typically, Consolitis is paired with Steam Fever, the act of purchasing a wild amount of video games from Valve's digital distribution software (Steam), that are usually ridiculously cheap.

Now one might ask, how would I know if I have Consolitis with Steam Fever!?

Symptoms:

1. Completely abandon your console for weeks on end, in order to play the ridiculous amount of games you purchased from Steam.

2. Purchase games from Steam that you have never heard of, just because a friend of a friend of an internet friend suggested it.

3. Buy five times as many games on Steam as you normally would, because of a super Summer sale.

4. Reason and conclude that you can buy five times as many games on steam, because they are so much cheaper than console games.

5. Spend tens and hundreds of dollars on Steam sale games because they were SO CHEAP, despite your 100 game backlog.

6. Be happy and angry all at the same time when Steam has a day in which you buy few or zero games.

7. Consider boycotting your console altogether because you just purchased 49 games for $82.

If you have these symptoms, don't worry they will go away after a month or two. Just in time to play 5% of your backlog before the next Steam sale.

Possible Cures:

While there are no known cures, most doctors recommend quitting ones job or school, in order to complete your backlog.

WARNING: Despite the seeming truth of Consolitis with Steam Fever, it is a fictional disease, and doctors do not actually recommend quitting jobs.

[quote name='iso135']I believe I have the following:

Consolitis with Steam Fever

WebMD defines Consolitis as irritability and disapproval associated with a gaming console such as a Playstation 3, Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii. Typically, Consolitis is paired with Steam Fever, the act of purchasing a wild amount of video games from Valve's digital distribution software (Steam), that are usually ridiculously cheap.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I definitely have that. I know I bought at least a couple games I'm never going to play.

[quote name='mcthatch']You're my hero today. I clicked to buy on Amazon....turns out I had 7.38 in promotional downloads credit from earlier purchases. My credit card got charged 11 cents![/QUOTE]

Huzzah! Thank you! :bouncy:

[quote name='blitztwn36']Damn you Steam - my backlog is huge, and you tempt me again with Just Cause 2 and BF:BC2. Must show restraint.......I was able to let the PoP pack slip, as tough as that was (convinced myself that it'll be back up and cheaper for Black Friday).[/QUOTE]

lol I'm at the same boat as you.. BF:BC2 and Just Cause 2 is tempting as heck..

Sorry to quote myself, but I'd really love some opinions and this thread is moving fast. Thanks!

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Alright, so I'm down to the last small chunk of change left for the sale, and I can get either Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines or GTA IV: Complete. I'm not a fan of either per se, but am interested in giving either a try.

Any advice, impressions, or experiences people would like to share? Since (it seems) that the Steam version of GTA IV can be rolled back to a previous patch that supports mods, that's tempting. But VtM:B gets a lot of praise on GAF as an RPG. Since VtM:B goes on sale very rarely, I'm leaning towards that, but I'm just not sure.

Advice, fellow CAGs?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Sorry to quote myself, but I'd really love some opinions and this thread is moving fast. Thanks![/QUOTE]

To me GTA is boring and repetitive. Vampire TMB is one of the most immersive games i've ever played

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Sorry to quote myself, but I'd really love some opinions and this thread is moving fast. Thanks![/QUOTE]

GTA hands down! One of the best games this generation plus you get the expansions, all for less than $10.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I know I'm the only one that bought Puzzle Kingdoms during this sale, but I'm really enjoying it. I had played the DS version a while, and eventually, I decided to put it down and wait for Steam to have it on sale. Sooo much prettier to look at in Steam.[/QUOTE]

I love those type of games. Dumped 100+ hours in Puzzle Quest 1 and 2. Was hoping Puzzle Chronicles would get more than a 50% discount but since I bought enough it'll just stay on the wishlist.

Must....stop....reading....thread....

:)
[quote name='utopianmachine']I know I'm the only one that bought Puzzle Kingdoms during this sale, but I'm really enjoying it. I had played the DS version a while, and eventually, I decided to put it down and wait for Steam to have it on sale. Sooo much prettier to look at in Steam.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Off-topic: Why the hell is avast blocking a trojan horse virus when I refresh this page? Anybody else getting this?[/QUOTE]

Also got this. I have no idea. :/

Man, my craziest Steam Sale splurge yet.

Post Apocalyptic Mayhem
Sam and Max: Seasons 1-3
Worms Reloaded
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
Quake Collection
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Sanctum
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW)
DLC Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money
DLC Fallout New Vegas - Honest Hearts
Doom Pack
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Tropico 3 Gold
Just Cause 2
Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West

totaled to $83.63
But really, that's a ton of good stuff for about $23.64 over the price of a brand new retail game release for $59.99
Would go with a developer pack, but they all have a bunch of stuff I don't really want.

I'm happy with it. I don't think I see anything else to add lmao.
How'd you all do?:lol:

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Huzzah! Thank you! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Thanks all, I have wanted DOW2 Retribution a LONG TIME! Was all set to buy on Steam since it was back on sale and figured I better check Amazon on a whim. The DOW 2 series are all really fun so I'm excited. Grab it before it's gone this is just a great price on the game. It was $17.99 yesterday on Amazon so yes, it can very well change daily.

Anyone know where I can get a PC demo for Battlefield BC2? I might pick it up if my PC can run it decently, but I'm having trouble finding a demo for it.

[quote name='hwmusic']Why is Knights of the Old Republic 2 not available for download anywhere? I really don't want to pay 19.99 for it at a local store.[/QUOTE]

I would try to get it on Goozex. Managed to snag a copy last year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back