Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I got:

Audiosurf
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Batman: AA
GTA IV Pack
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
Darksiders
Oblivion GOTY (I bought the wrong one though, I wanted Deluxe)

$44.55
Could have been a lot worse. Was tempted many many times on other games.

[quote name='celegus']Is there a way to use a PS3 controller on PC without buying any extra doodads? I don't have a 360 (or controller), so that doesn't quite work for me. I'm assuming something like Lara Croft will be a lot better with a controller, but I'm not sure if it's possible.[/QUOTE]

Check out MotioninJoy. I use it for Beat Hazard.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Anyone know if the Sherlock Holmes games are any good?[/QUOTE]

It looks like they consistently rake in reviews between 65 and 75% on gamerankings. So probably decent if you're into the style of game. I'm interested in them as well, but they aren't cheap enough for me yet (especially since they're a couple years old). If steam put them in a complete pack for around $10, I'd be buying instantly.

In case you missed my post earlier (and don't mind getting games outside Steam), Amazon download has The Whispered World available for d/l for $6.52.

If you did that, you could get it and the complete Oddworld bundle for the same price as Whispered World is on Steam.

Just another option...

[quote name='sp8001']I actually stayed under my budget this time :D!

I'm proud of myself.

Jamestown was the highlight of this sale for me. Such a great game, less than a month old, for 50% off.

2nd highlight would have to be The Longest Journey. I can't wait to relive this great adventure game. Been over a decade since I've played it.

The only impulse buy would have to be Defense Grid. The prize DLC enticed me to grab this game for $2.50. I am not a big fan of TD, but this game was really well done. One of the more fun summer achievements to acquire.

Finally picked up Chime. I've heard great things.

My only regret would be picking up Doc Clock. It was only $1.25, and I have played it for about 2 hours... so I don't feel cheated or anything. I am almost finished with it, and some of the puzzles are clever, but the interface is quite tricky to navigate and the physics engine could use some work. Not a terrible game, but not a very good one either.

Zen Bound 2 is awesome for $1. Really unique puzzle game. There is nothing else like it (that I have seen).

Tidalis is most likely my favorite puzzle game on steam. I was hoping it would get a deeper discount for you guys, but even at $5 it is a great game if you are into those kind of games.

Blood Money shouldn't have been missed at that price. I picked it up this past winter for the same. I have always loved the Hitman series and this one is the best of them all.

The classic Oddworld pack is a fucking STEAL! If you don't have a PSX with both of these classics, do yourself a favor and pick them up for under $2. You could even grab the Oddbox for a little over $5. I can't recommend these games highly enough. The only reason to pass these up is if you can't stand older 2D graphics.

I am considering The Whispered World and Oddworld Strangers Wrath before the day is over.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Sorry to quote myself, but I'd really love some opinions and this thread is moving fast. Thanks![/QUOTE]

VTM:B in my opinion is one of the finest games ever made, you'd be a fool to pass it up

[quote name='djsmf435']Anyone recommend a gamepad for the pc? I barely play on my pc, but with what ive bought i'm going to start.[/QUOTE]

Do you own a X360?
If yes - do you own a X360 gamepad that has a USB port [S controller]?
If yes - plug it into your PC's USB port.

I use the X360 Games for Windows gamepad.

If anyone has extra copies of Sanctum or Terraria I'd paypal 2.50 each, PM me.

Damage report: $0.00

Bought plenty from past steam sales, and seen a lot of repeats this sale. Bummed out didn't see any repeat indie bundles from last winter,(missed out) but hopefully they make reappearances later this year.

Managed to get 16 tickets.
I picked these prizes: AaAaAA!!! dlc, Magicka map, Beat Hazard gear, TF2 shades, and Portal 2 snorkels.

see y'all next winter ha.

My haul:

Audiosurf 1.49
Borderlands GOTY 7.50
The Mawesome Pack 2.99
Monday Night Combat 3.74
Shatter 2.50
Terraria 7.50

Which adds up to $25.72 which isnt too bad for my 2nd steam sale :lol:. Although i wish i had waited for that daily deal on terraria :/.

[quote name='blitztwn36']I ask that question to myself quite often. It appears I collect them for one simple reason:

I need to have a ton of games on hand in the event that I become independently wealthy, can quit my job, and have more freetime than I know what do to with myself. Because obviously, if that happened, I wouldn't be able to buy games since they'd all be full price and my mind doesn't always comprehend paying MSRP - even if I was filthy rich..[/QUOTE]

I think like this too, except my scenario is the end of the world, the power stays on, and I don't break my glasses.

I'd post my haul, but I'm not done collecting buying yet.

From Amazon for Download:
Dawn of War 2: Retribution - registered onto Steam - $7.49!
Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga - not a Steam-registering game

From Steam:
Purchases
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem
Terraria - when it was $2.49! :)
Eschalon: Book II
Eschalon: Book I
Empire and Napoleon: Total War - Game of the Year Edition
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year
Beat Hazard Complete
Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts DLC
Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
Singularity
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition

Prizes from Tickets
Summer Sale Prize - Alien Breed 2
Summer Sale Prize - X3 Terran Conflict DLC
Summer Sale Prize - Killing Floor DLC
Summer Sale Prize - Beat Hazard DLC

[quote name='Magicman103']My haul:

Audiosurf 1.49
Borderlands GOTY 7.50
The Mawesome Pack 2.99
Monday Night Combat 3.74
Shatter 2.50
Terraria 7.50

Which adds up to $25.72 which isnt too bad for my 2nd steam sale :lol:. Although i wish i had waited for that daily deal on terraria :/.[/QUOTE]

I hope your first Steam sale cost you at least $100 then :lol:

[quote name='dfg']I think like this too, except my scenario is the end of the world, the power stays on, and I don't break my glasses.

I'd post my haul, but I'm not done collecting buying yet.[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there with that twilight zone reference ;). That was a good episode.

my pickups for the sale. I am happy and I didn't go to crazy overboard....

July 4th
Doom 3-$4.99

July 5th
Call of Duty 4-$9.99 (mainly got this for the Star Wars mod. The mod is awesome!)

July 8th
Mafia-$2.49 (loved the second and really wanted to try the first)

July 10th
Terraria-$4.99 (despite the whole fiasco yesterday, i still decided to pick this up. Looks like a lot of fun)
Magica Complete Pack-$8.49 (loved the demo! Can't wait to play this one!)
Garry's Mod-$2.49

all in all my total was - $33.44

I was hoping to spend under $25, but oh well. I got some games that I really wanted to get (except for Dive to the Titanic, $14.99 is still too much for me.)

[quote name='Magicman103']I see what you did there with that twilight zone reference ;). That was a good great episode.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but your adjective wasn't strong enough for the episode in question ;)

[quote name='jj5206']my pickups for the sale. I am happy and I didn't go to crazy overboard....
Mafia-$2.49 (loved the second and really wanted to try the first)
[/QUOTE]
The original Mafia is great. :)

Picked up Capsized for $5, kinda disappointed with the controls, they're kinda wonky, but with the 360 controller I think I'll get the hang of it. Also picked up the Commander Keen complete pack, for nostalgia heaven. Unfortunately there's no gamepad support (of course), so you have to use a button-mapping program like Pinnacle Game Profiler to bind button presses to the controllers' buttons.

[quote name='MysterD']From Amazon for Download:
Dawn of War 2: Retribution - registered onto Steam - $7.49![/QUOTE]

Oh man, and here I was kinda annoyed that all I had was my iPhone during the 5 minutes that DoW2:Ret was 7.49 on steam. Score 1 for amazon!

(Not that I really need it, I've only played a bit of DoWII, and none of Chaos Rising, but I really like the concept of the games, and $7.49 is a fine price for me to pay for it, even if it takes a while for me to get around to it.)

[quote name='gbpackers94']Anyone know if the Sherlock Holmes games are any good?[/QUOTE]
They're fantastic

If you're into that style of game then add on 15 points to all the scores you see. Even if you're not a fan of the genre they're fun to play but if you're a fan then the set is great. I bought the set last winter sale I think for ummmmm...

No idea, like 17 something I think?

[quote name='Showstoppa42']There's a great logic game that I got hooked on during the last sale called Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. It's a weird but awesome mix of sudoku and math problems. It starts out pretty easy, but gets harder and harder over its thousands (over 20,000) of puzzles, and has both achievements and cloud support. It's normally $9.99, on sale for 50% off ($4.99) 'til the end of the sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32150

Definitely try the free demo![/QUOTE]

I can't second this hard enough. Sadly, it was a lot cheaper during the winter sale (my record says $1.84 or thereabouts) but I've put more time into this game than any other game on Steam, and I haven't even finished the basic play through of most of the levels yet. It's really just that good, as a casual math game. Will challenge any level of experience, and will keep any level of experience going for a long, long, long time.

[quote name='Doomtime']Any input on Two Worlds 2?[/QUOTE]
RIDICULOUS improvement in every single way over the original game.
One of the most improved sequels I've ever played.

If you like 3rd person action-RPG's like Gothic series and Fable series - chances are, you'll like this.

This is a warning, though: first hour of Two Worlds 2 is like The Witcher 1 - A BIG tutorial.
After the tutorial is done with, then the game gets really going.

[quote name='shosh']if someone knows.

how big is borderlands vanilla supposed to be as a download?

im asking because i thought i got borderlands vanilla and when i tried to purchase goty edition, it said i already bought it.

so i went and redownload borderlands and its a 7 gig install. but its taking forever and probably wont be able to access it today to find out if i have all the dlc already.[/QUOTE]

Did you get an answer on this? I just checked... I own vanilla Borderlands (and only vanilla) from Steam. I went to install it, and it said 7014 MB.

Anyone know if 1701 AD gold still has tages with the steam version... and compatibility issues with other 1701 one games? Thank you!

Thank you so much for the info on the DoW II Ret for 7.50 at Amazon. I was going to pass on it for 15 as I was picking up a few other games, but for 7.50 I'll have to buy it.

In total I got:

The Witcher 2
BFBC2
Total War Shogun 2
DoW II Retribution

[quote name='gcorlett']Did you get an answer on this? I just checked... I own vanilla Borderlands (and only vanilla) from Steam. I went to install it, and it said 7014 MB.[/QUOTE]

If you go check your games list on steam from a browser, the dlc will show up seperately from the main game even though on steam client it just shows "Borderlands". My borderlands is the GOTY and it shows as 12gb download, not 7gb

i'm pissed... i bought Sanctum like a week ago for the minor sale steam was having for it then... now they are showing $3.75. Damn! O well...

[quote name='Mooby']I love those type of games. Dumped 100+ hours in Puzzle Quest 1 and 2. Was hoping Puzzle Chronicles would get more than a 50% discount but since I bought enough it'll just stay on the wishlist.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Played PQ1 and 2 to death. Even enjoyed Puzzle Quest Galactrix plenty. Puzzle Kingdoms is quite good for fans of the original Puzzle Quest. There appears to be a LOT of playtime in this package.

[quote name='jkimrey']Must....stop....reading....thread....

:)[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I've been living in this thread for a week.

A few of you have asked for opinions on Zen Bound 2. I bought it during the Winter sale for $2.50. Here is the review i put on Steam for my friends.

Zen Bound 2:

A nifty idea. But this game doesn't deliver the down-tempo experience that the description states. Unlike Osmos or Eufloria (true down-tempo indie games), there is never a single second of time when you can sit back and enjoy this game's atmosphere while watching your plans unfold.

Zen Bound is basically a game of fidgeting and fighting with the controls until you get your desired result. The lack of a "z-axis" control means you don't get all the control you want, and instead this is 90% frustration, 10% grim satisfaction. There is no euphoria, no "a ha" moment in this game.

Presentation is attractive, and the sound is very good, too. But I do not recommend this game, even at the $2.50 price point that I paid during a Holiday Sale.

In short, I wasn't exactly thrilled with it, and I play (and like) lots of 1-concept indies. Since writing that review, I have acquired a gamepad, and I reloaded the game thinking that having 3-axis control would help. but SURPRISE, this game doesn't even support controllers. I can't think of another game that needs controller support more than this one.

Now, I don't think you can go wrong buying it for just $1.00 in this sale, so go crazy, maybe you'll like it. But you have been warned. :)

Anyone have any opinions on the Freedom Force Pack, it's $5 and looks pretty good. Also heard it runs on Win7 64 pretty well, so any ideas on it?

[quote name='Cantatus']Am I missing anything if I skip Just Cause 1 and go straight to 2?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, no.
Basically, in these sandbox-style games, you run around the world, cause havoc, blow stuff up, kill stuff, shoot stuff, drive vehicles, and any other havoc you can dream up.

There ain't much of a worthwhile story in JC1.
Though, JC1 is a fun sandbox.

It looks like I'm done for this sale. I like reading what other people got, so I'll post mine too:

The Mawesome Pack: $2.99
DarkStar One: $2.49
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year: $10.19
Defense Grid: The Awakening: $2.49
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition: $10.20
Darksiders: $4.99

Total $33.35

For the tickets, I redeemed Homefront DLC (don't have the game yet), Alien Breed 2, Defense Grid DLC, and will probably get the Magicka DLC even though I don't own that game yet.

[quote name='momouchi']Anyone have any opinions on the Freedom Force Pack, it's $5 and looks pretty good. Also heard it runs on Win7 64 pretty well, so any ideas on it?[/QUOTE]

Freedom Force [original] is great.
If you want a linear Strategic-ARPG, you'll dig this.
Some of the best and most over-the-top voice-acting you'll hear.
It's A LOT of fun - picking up cars, tossing cars, saving people, etc etc.

I didn't really get much into its sequel, even though I own it.

This was years ago, though - ain't tried them on Win 7.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']
The CAG community is more interested in saving money [/QUOTE]

Congratulations. You figured out the name of the website!:roll:

Seriously, this whole social discussion thing going on at CAG (specifically: this thread) is new. This thread has taken on a social aspect of it's own, one that is generally frowned upon at CAG. The "norm" is that if you're not posting deals, or commenting specifically on deals in that thread, then your posts get dumped.

But - I hadn't heard of Neogaf before you started posting about it. I've checked in there and it looks like a good community. Thank you for the tip. But please don't expect CAGers to be more than we are - a small subset of the gaming community that is extremely price-sensitive, here to talk about deals on games, not about the games themselves. We trade our time (hunting and sharing deals) as a way to collectively save a buck or ten.

[quote name='Pollox']The Mawesome Pack: $2.99[/QUOTE]
Nice choice, man! I myself waited until today to buy it, as odd as that sounds. (Really, what were the chances of it going lower?) I'm glad there are other Twisted Pixel fans out there.

Speaking of which, I do hope Ms. 'Splosion Man comes to Steam; I liked the gameplay of the first one, but, sadly, it never made it to the PC.

Anyone else not looking forward to the return of midweek madness and weekend deals? I need some breathing room with my backlog and wallet XD .

My Haul:
Altitude
Eufloria
Dwarfs!?
Killing Floor Bundle - July 2011
Atom Zombie Smasher
Frozen Synapse
Beat Hazard Complete
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Torchlight
Super Meat Boy
Grand Theft Auto Classics
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Garry's Mod
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood -Shit terrible game.
For a grand total of $68.08. Not bad for my first steam sale. It would be much higher if I actually had a decent gaming pc.

I'm kind of sad I missed out on Bully, but I have enough games to keep me busy until I can get it on the cheap.

I almost bought the stronghold collection this afternoon. I love RTS, and I was kind of looking for a game similar to AoE. I've seen a lot of good reviews for this, but I still balked at the ~$13 price tag. Would anyone recommend these games?

Money spent on my self during sale: $17.65
Money spent on gifts during sale: $8.45
total games bought: 11
total money spent: $26.10
total tickets earned: 25
average price per game: $2.37
oh how I love steam

Anyone care to give some thoughts on Terraria? In particular, what sets it apart from Minecraft? Outside of the obvious perspective shift. I've played (and enjoyed) Minecraft quite a bit, but for some reason Terraria looks kind of... boring. I can't quite put my finger on why, though. I'd still like to give it a try, just not sure if it's worth $5 to me right now.

Alright, I think I'm done with this sale. Still tempted by VtM:B, but my backlog is so big, I just can't justify it right now. Which sucks, because I'd love to have time to play it and enjoy it, but I know that I just won't. *sigh* I definitely fall into the "collect games" as opposed to "play games" category.

Anyway, my haul is as follows:
Civ V (GamersGate) - $11.18
SpaceChem - $5.09
Magicka Complete - $8.49
Beat Hazard DLC - $1.49
Guild Wars Trilogy - $14.99
Spectromancer DLC - $4.98
Fate of the World - $4.99
Terraria - $2.49
DoWII: Retribution (Amazon) - $7.49
Total: $61.19

Actually kinda surprised at that total. Didn't think it would be that much. The only one I'm really questioning was Magicka, and that only because I'm not sure I'm going to get much out of the DLC as opposed to just the base game - I'm not a huge multiplayer fan. I also probably didn't need the Spectromancer DLC, but at 75% off, I couldn't not grab it.

My tickets went as follows:
SpaceChem DLC
Delve Deeper DLC - Don't have the game yet, was hoping to see it on sale this sale
Zombie Driver DLC
Magicka DLC
Fate of the World DLC
Beat Hazard DLC
TF2 DLC
Portal 2 DLC

Still have 3 tickets left. Trying to decide between DoWII helmet and Alien Breed 2. I don't really care about either, but I don't want to NOT spend the tickets. Kinda leaning toward the DoWII helmet, as I'm sure Alien Breed 2 would just end up being another game I won't play, and will probably sucker me into buying the other games in the series just because I hate not having complete sets. On the other hand... free game.

TL;DR - Bought stuff, spent tickets.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Nice choice, man! I myself waited until today to buy it, as odd as that sounds. (Really, what were the chances of it going lower?) I'm glad there are other Twisted Pixel fans out there.

Speaking of which, I do hope Ms. 'Splosion Man comes to Steam; I liked the gameplay of the first one, but, sadly, it never made it to the PC.[/QUOTE]

Oh I waited too. The "only buy dailys until the last day" rule is key. I haven't tried any other Twisted Pixel games before, but this one looks interesting and it's a good price.

[quote name='SpecialK7225']My Haul:
Altitude
Eufloria
Dwarfs!?
Killing Floor Bundle - July 2011
Atom Zombie Smasher
Frozen Synapse
Beat Hazard Complete
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Torchlight
Super Meat Boy
Grand Theft Auto Classics
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Garry's Mod
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood -Shit terrible game.
For a grand total of $68.08. Not bad for my first steam sale. It would be much higher if I actually had a decent gaming pc.

I'm kind of sad I missed out on Bully, but I have enough games to keep me busy until I can get it on the cheap.

I almost bought the stronghold collection this afternoon. I love RTS, and I was kind of looking for a game similar to AoE. I've seen a lot of good reviews for this, but I still balked at the ~$13 price tag. Would anyone recommend these games?
[/QUOTE]
I would absolutely recommend the Stronghold Collection as I've played the hell out of them all and they are indeed fantastic for AOE fans if not even better. I have yet to find a 'castle sim' that does a better job at gameplay. You are best to start with the very first one too. $13 gets 5 really awesome games there. Like for RTS fans, I'd say it's even better than that Prince of Persia pack from yesterday because of replay value. Better than I expected and if you liked all the other GTAs, you definitely need to grab it later when it's back on sale. Be sure to hold off on Crusader Extreme till your REALLY good though. The campaigns take some time to complete as well. I have yet to play Legends though and don't recommend you try that one first if you truely want to experience Stronghold. The first one is where it all begins.

As for Bully, damn that is too bad. I feel ya though, I missed it in a previous sale and got it this time around even cheaper. It'll probably make a return this winter for sure. Playing it now and it's a lot like the other GTA games, just less gore and mafia - more school and classes. It does indeed feature a whole city to explore, so it's not just cooped up in a school either. You can go out and get jobs and all kinds of stuff with lots of customizations. Rockstar had some fun with this game as usual.

anyone else having trouble downloading games, i haven't been able to download anything for a hour it just says the servers are busy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back