Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CapnO']Hydrophobia looks like an interesting game. My only concern is that I've heard complaints about its mechanics.

Whats the consensus?[/QUOTE]
It's... weak. Amateurish. It's got a lot of ideas and a style it aims for. The water is quite pretty and at times the gunplay works, but it faffs about with crappy pseudo-puzzles for way too long and then the last act abandons the carefully paced shooting and just goes full bore nonstop action on you and then it runs completely off the rails. The basic shooting revolves around your sonic shot. That thing charges for about a second before you can deliver real damage. Only a headshot kills with it and there's a ton of wrecked environment to shoot instead to murder these awful caricature villains with.

Of course then you start picking up loads of real ammo and can play it like a normal shooter, except none of those weapons have the satisfying feel that ragdolling/drowning/burning cruddy villains did with environmental kills did.

It's competent and knows what a good game is, unlike most indie crap, but they still don't grasp the language well and what they think is a puzzle really isn't.

My haul:

The Oddboxx
Magicka + Magicka: Vietnam
Zen Bound 2
Stubbs the Zombie
Time Gentlemen, Please + Ben There, Done That pack
Penny Arcade Combo Pack
And Yet It Moves
Nation Red
Audiosurf
Terraria
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Mafia
The Sims 3
Monday Night Combat
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Recettear (Gifted)
Sanctum (Gifted)

Prizes redeemed:

Alien Breed 2
Team Fortress 2 shades
Beat Hazard DLC
Monday Night Combat summer gear

[quote name='DualHelix']So I thought I was safe cause I already owned 75% of the games on sale during this sale...
I was wrong.

Starwars Battlefront II
2.49 USD
Dungeons
13.59 USD
Dwarfs!?
4.99 USD
Dungeons DLC Pack 1
1.35 USD
SpaceChem
5.09 USD
Alien Breed Trilogy
11.49 USD
Hamiltons Great Adventure
4.99 USD
Garshasp The Monster Slayer
2.50 USD
Tropico 3: Absolute Power
2.49 USD
Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 1
0.24 USD
Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 2
0.24 USD
Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 3
0.24 USD
Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 4
0.24 USD
Beat Hazard Complete
3.24 USD already owned was a gift for a douchebag who didn't buy it when i told him to
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW)
2.49 USD
AI War: Light of the Spire DLC
1.49 USD
Beat Hazard iTunes DLC
0.25 USD
Jamestown
4.99 USD
Atom Zombie Smasher
2.99 USD
Sims 3 Pack - June 2011
79.99 USD
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
3.99 USD
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
4.00 USD
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising
4.00 USD
Sanctum
3.75 USD
Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars
6.00 USD
Command and Conquer: Kane's Wrath
4.00 USD
Cities XL 2011
7.99 USD
Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight
4.00 USD
Divinity II - Dragon Knight Saga
19.99 USD
Universe Sandbox
4.99 USD
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
13.39 USD
Fallout Collection
9.99 USD (I've bought these games like 4 times physically)
Razor2 Hidden Skies
2.49 USD
SpaceForce2 Rogue Universe (NA)
4.99 USD
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
3.39 USD
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
1.69 USD
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER
4.99 USD
Total = 249.02

So this puts me at 391 games on steam. Steam owns my soul.[/QUOTE]

You know for a penny more than Munch + Stranger you could have bought the Oddbox which includes those two along with the two original Oddworld games.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Unless it's free or part of a pack, don't bother. It's maybe five minute of entertainment.[/QUOTE]

I dunno I've gotten a lot of play out of it I thought it was a lot of fun even if its pretty easy. Funny characters etc..

As for other Indie games to look for I'd look into:

Capsized
Zombie Driver
Toki Tori (Its like a buck and change!)

My haul and I'm not adding prices as that would take way too much time

My haul

Bioshock 2
Battlefield bad company 2
Borderlands
Frozen Syanpse
Grand theft auto
Grand theft auto 2
Grand theft auto 3
Grand theft auto San Andreas
Grand theft auto Vice city
Grand theft auto IV
Grand theft auto Episodes from Liberty city
Hoard
The Maw
Saints Row 2
Terraria
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider Legends
Torchlight
Alien Breed 2: Assault
Dark Messiah Might and Magic
Defense grid the Awakening
Deus Ex: Game of the Year
Elder scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Hammers of Fate
Magicka
Monday Night Combat
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
Civilization IV
Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
Civilization IV: Colonization
Civilization IV: Warlords
Star Wars: Knights of the old republic

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Would you say that that first hour tutorial is a good one? I've played a lot of games that still leave a lot of deep mechanics out and away from the player unless they go to the game's forum or a FAQ. I ask because I'm almost about to buy the game since I enjoy Risen, the Witcher games, Divinity IIK DKS, etc. Thanks much for your further input![/QUOTE]

First hour is a decent enough tutorial - it's just, they really do throw A LOT at you very early on here...just like The Witcher did. Most of it, thrown at once, early on. It tells and teaches you a lot, but alas - not everything...as you'll learn more things later. There's a lot of cut-scenes and storytelling here in this first hour, as well.

The game's crafting system is unreal. You can seriously just about break apart any items for parts. You can use parts for creating and upgrading items. It's addictive as can be, too.

I didn't experiment much w/ the magic system - which also has crafting components, as well. I was more so a melee character, first go-around.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Unless it's free or part of a pack, don't bother. It's maybe five minute of entertainment.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you must not like the characters AT ALL.

Poker Night at the Inventory has more recorded voicework in it than any Telltale game to date, and that is what you play Telltale games for.

I got over 20 hours out of it, and I didn't even know how to play Hold Em when I started.

FYI: For anyone who is a fan of the Total War series: Medieval 2: Gold Edition (Includes Base Game + Expansion) is currently $6.69.

I'll be picking it up for sure, especially considering the Third Age Total War conversion mod.

[quote name='keroppilee']it's been great, see you guys at teh winter sale lol[/QUOTE]
be sure to check steam around black friday.
[quote name='HeSaveDave']Neogaf is old school.

My haul:
X3
PAM

Most of the other daily deals I bought on previous sales.[/QUOTE]

to me some portions of gamefaqs is old school. Which is I suppose in a way sad but eh, go rogue squadron n64, fft is probably one of the ones least changed.
[quote name='Showstoppa42']There's a great logic game that I got hooked on during the last sale called Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. It's a weird but awesome mix of sudoku and math problems. It starts out pretty easy, but gets harder and harder over its thousands (over 20,000) of puzzles, and has both achievements and cloud support. It's normally $9.99, on sale for 50% off ($4.99) 'til the end of the sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32150

Definitely try the free demo![/QUOTE]
Definitely a good numbers game, though puzzles were a little annoying tad too much guess work it seemed, but made it all the way through to the end. Reading a chapter then doing a puzzle was amusing.

[quote name='celegus']Is there a way to use a PS3 controller on PC without buying any extra doodads? I don't have a 360 (or controller), so that doesn't quite work for me. I'm assuming something like Lara Croft will be a lot better with a controller, but I'm not sure if it's possible.[/QUOTE]

http://www.davieslim.com/ps3/using-ps3-controller-in-windows/#index4
got mine working with jamestown with this, though beat hazard isn't detecting a few buttons at the moment, actually probably just thinks its a 360 controller or something bah.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']God damn you, I'm at 624. THIS WILL NOT STAND!

Edit: 631. I'm safe... For now.[/QUOTE]

Damn it, i'm gonna quick buy some DLC content for number filler.

[quote name='evantrees']Definitely a good numbers game, though puzzles were a little annoying tad too much guess work it seemed, but made it all the way through to the end. [/QUOTE]

Odd. I never hit a point where I had to make any guesses. There were times I had to stare at the grid for 20 minutes before spotting the cell where I could rule out all but one choice, but never a point where guessing was mandatory. I thought the puzzles were very well designed in that regard.

My purchases for this round:

The Longest Journey + Dreamfall 6.24 USD
The Maw: Delete Scenes - Brute Force 0.31 USD
The Maw: Delete Scenes - River Redirect 0.31 USD
The Maw: Deleted Scenes - Speeder Lane 0.31 USD
Guardians of Graxia Map Pack 0.74 USD
Guardians of Graxia Elves and Dwarves Expansion 1.49 USD
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER 2.50 USD
HOARD 2.99 USD
Magicka Complete Pack (June 2011) 8.49 USD
Civ V DLC - Polynesia 2.49 USD
Beat Hazard - Ultra 1.24 USD
Atom Zombie Smasher 2.99 USD
Terraria 2.49 USD
The Final Hours of Portal 2 0.99 USD
Lucidity 3.34 USD
FATALE 1.74 USD
Winter Voices: Those who have no name 2.49 USD
Winter Voices: Nowhere of me 2.49 USD
Winter Voices: Ep1 2.49 USD
Winter Voices: Like a Crow on a Wire 2.49 USD
Winter Voices: Amethyst Rivers 2.49 USD
Cyan Complete 9.99 USD
Lume 2.38 USD
Dwarfs!? 4.99 USD

Gift purchase for my overseas brother:
Torchlight 2.99 USD

Total spent: $71.46

Tickets earned: 24

I'm pleased. A couple things on my wishlist yet that I could have gotten for 33-50% off, but with this much, I can wait until they are less or hope to win them in the drawing. =D

Love me some Steam.

Here's my list:
PA Combo Pack
Spectromancer Pack
GTA IV Complete Bundle
Magicka
Terraria
Universe Sandbox
Guild Wars: Trilogy
Trine
Torchlight

Good haul. Most of the games that they had dailies for I already owned on PS3. So walking away with only spending around $47.

Love me some Steam.

Here's my list:
PA Combo Pack
Spectromancer Pack
GTA IV Complete Bundle
Magicka
Terraria
Universe Sandbox
Guild Wars: Trilogy
Trine
Torchlight

Good haul. Most of the games that they had dailies for I already owned on PS3. So walking away with only spending around $47.

Oh steam, why do you tempt me.
I just caved and bought:

Magicka
Magicka Vietnam
Rush
Poker night at the inventory
Time Gentlemen, Please!+Ben There! Dan That!
Penny Arcade Adventures Precipice of Darkness, Episode One+Episode 2.

Last minute purchases ftw.

I love steam.
Thanks valve!

[quote name='RockMySocks10']You know for a penny more than Munch + Stranger you could have bought the Oddbox which includes those two along with the two original Oddworld games.[/QUOTE]

Except I already owned the 2 oddbox games so I saved a penny.

[quote name='Vegan']Wow, you must not like the characters AT ALL.

Poker Night at the Inventory has more recorded voicework in it than any Telltale game to date, and that is what you play Telltale games for.

I got over 20 hours out of it, and I didn't even know how to play Hold Em when I started.[/QUOTE]

I love the characters, particularly Max. It's just that at the bottom of it, you're still playing poker against the computer, which isn't as interesting as playing against people. The characters are much better served by having a story to work through.

[quote name='DPsycho']Odd. I never hit a point where I had to make any guesses. There were times I had to stare at the grid for 20 minutes before spotting the cell where I could rule out all but one choice, but never a point where guessing was mandatory. I thought the puzzles were very well designed in that regard.[/QUOTE]

Yea, the puzzles are designed to where you don't have to guess at all... There is always a way to figure out the solution. I have put around 20 hours into it since I got it during the winter sale. I highly recommend it. Although $5 is not it's lowest price point. I think it was $1.50 during the winter sale.

[quote name='MysterD']First hour is a decent enough tutorial - it's just, they really do throw A LOT at you very early on here...just like The Witcher did. Most of it, thrown at once, early on. It tells and teaches you a lot, but alas - not everything...as you'll learn more things later. There's a lot of cut-scenes and storytelling here in this first hour, as well.

The game's crafting system is unreal. You can seriously just about break apart any items for parts. You can use parts for creating and upgrading items. It's addictive as can be, too.

I didn't experiment much w/ the magic system - which also has crafting components, as well. I was more so a melee character, first go-around.[/QUOTE]

Thanks yet again for the great info on Two Worlds II. You've sold me on it :) There was also a $5 + FS deal for the official strategy guide from the developer a month or so ago, so the game will go nicely with that.

...Am I the only one who's bought a guide before the game? Heh.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Meridian 4 Complete Pack $ 34.99 Wanted Scratches, and the Still Life and Syberia games, so what the heck, why not buy a complete pack?[/QUOTE]

Hehe, that's probably verbatim what was said in a marketing meeting just before the sale began. :applause:

I hope this on-topic enough, but I thought the tie-in with achievements and unlockables in games for this sale was a great idea. I didn't have most of the games in the list, but I had enough to spend most of my 17 points on DLC for Delve Deeper, Beat Hazard, Magicka, the free copy of Alien Breed 2 and Portal 2. I don't even have Portal 2 yet (next sale though, heh)!

Let's hope the next sale does something similar for other games, and more free games. I don't expect them to give away Fallout 3 of course, but even a short episode from a full game would be kind of neat.

I'm currently trying (and failing) to download the 88MB Flight Control HD to get one more achievement. And I thought I had problems downloading the 6-7GB Prince of Persia game today :p

So, after doing a deal on PAM last night and buying Guardians of Graxia tonight, I'm done.

Horde $2.25
Magicka (which I still can't get running on my computer) $2.55
Tropico 3: Absolute Power Expansion $2.49
King Arthur: The Druids DLC $1.49
Toki Tori $1.24
PAM $2.08
Guardians Of Graxia $2.49

Total: 14.60

Course, I still am having problems getting Magicka to run, and this seems to go beyond the temporary graphics card problem, since I seem to have fixed it for every other game I've tried to play. That and not being able to download Guardians left it problematic getting that last ticket to download one more item. Fortunately, I found the help for Toki Tori to find all the sunbeams.

Extras I got:

Defense Grid resurgence pack
Magicka - The Lonely Cruise
Guardians Of Graxia Map Pack
Delve Deeper Treasures and Tunnels
Zombie Driver Summer map
Portal 2 snorkles

ok, i think i'm done now. the final tally:

sw: kotor - $2.49 (double dip for convenience)
sw: empire at war gold - $4.99
bfbc 2 complete - $9.99 (x2 - gift & rebuy for me to get vietnam)
king's bounty platinum - $6.99
sw: republic commando - $6.69
lucasarts adventure pack - $6.69 (the dig, loom, indy & the last crusade, indy & the fate of atlantis)
blueberry garden - $1.25 (gift)
alien breed 2: assault - 3 tickets

grand total: $49.08 + 3 tickets, for ~$3.50 + 3/14ths of a ticket per game. pretty happy with the haul.

as for the tickets, i earned 15 and picked up:
alien breed 2, tf2 shades, portal 2 snorkels, guardians of graxia map pack and killing floor character pack. don't have the last two games, but they seemed like the ones i'd be most likely to get in the future. might grab guardians in the morning if the demo finishes downloading in time, but if not there's always another sale right around the corner!

it's been great sharing another steam event with y'all. feel free to add me on steam (in case we ever get around to actually playing the games... unlikely) - username is houdinilogic.

Started out with 2 games, I now have 30. Mostly indie and older games. Didn't keep track of cost, probably somewhere between $40-$50.

I'd like to thank those who hosted 4packs and those who gave suggestions and feedback to questions. This sale was a lot of fun- opened up new doors for my gaming experience.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I love the characters, particularly Max. It's just that at the bottom of it, you're still playing poker against the computer, which isn't as interesting as playing against people. The characters are much better served by having a story to work through.[/QUOTE]

I just made it my goal at the outset to unlock everything. That was my finishing point. That's what took 20 hours.

[quote name='Vegan']I just made it my goal at the outset to unlock everything. That was my finishing point. That's what took 20 hours.[/QUOTE]

me too, though my interest started to wane after unlocking the tf2 items. still a pretty fun game though... i probably have 5-6 hours in it, which isn't bad for the $5 i paid and certainly not bad for the current $3.xx price.

Spent my budget of $30 and some more for gifts, but that BF:BC2 icon is just haunting me. My backlog is huge enough, please give me a reason to not spend any more money.

Set some rules for myself and spent what I felt like was good. My haul this sale:

Back To The Future The Game: 12.49
Torchlight: 2.99
Secret of Monkey Island Bundle: 7.49
Terraria: 3.75
Garry's Mod: 2.49
Zombie Driver: 3.40
Total Spent: 32.61

Redeemed my tickets for the TF2 shades, Portal 2 Snorkel, and Zombie Driver map. Should hold me over for a few weeks.

Set some rules for myself and spent what I felt like was good. My haul this sale:

Back To The Future The Game: 12.49
Torchlight: 2.99
Secret of Monkey Island Bundle: 7.49
Terraria: 3.75
Garry's Mod: 2.49
Zombie Driver: 3.40
Total Spent: 32.61

Redeemed my tickets for the TF2 shades, Portal 2 Snorkel, and Zombie Driver map. Should hold me over for a few weeks.

If anyone grabbed a PAM (Post Apocalyptic Mayhem) pack the day it was on special and has an extra, just PM me and I'll scoop it up from ya. I posted in steam group buy thread as well but this one is like wildfire right now. :)

I'll list my purchases tomorrow if I can overcome the shame and look at the final tab.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Thanks yet again for the great info on Two Worlds II. You've sold me on it :) There was also a $5 + FS deal for the official strategy guide from the developer a month or so ago, so the game will go nicely with that.

...Am I the only one who's bought a guide before the game? Heh.[/QUOTE]

I did this *exact* thing. They guy that was from the guide company got the sale on the console versions, but I was waiting for the PC; so when it came on as a daily deal for Steam, you better believe I jumped on top of that. :D

[quote name='dark2025']Spent my budget of $30 and some more for gifts, but that BF:BC2 icon is just haunting me. My backlog is huge enough, please give me a reason to not spend any more money.[/QUOTE]

I'd tell you not to get it, but it's a damn good deal. I spent 7.50 alone on Vietnam a while back and thought that was decent.

[quote name='ForeStorm']I did this *exact* thing. They guy that was from the guide company got the sale on the console versions, but I was waiting for the PC; so when it came on as a daily deal for Steam, you better believe I jumped on top of that. :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that fellow did a really nice job reaching out to the community with that promo. I wish the PC version went on sale at the same time as the console versions, but this is still good, too :)

By the way, I send my thanks to all of you who wrote down your intelligent thoughts on deals and games. That really made a big difference for me and I'm sure many others during this sale. I avoided some stinkers and got my eyes opened to other games I was on the fence on.

A big thank you to everyone who also hosted group buys. That's not always easy to coordinate much less shell out for on the hope that others will always pick up the extras. I'm particularly thankful because I live near Seattle and I get charged tax (which is fine if I buy an individual game for myself, but I of course don't want to tack that on if I were to do a group buy).

Alright, so I bought DoW2: Retribution off Amazon and downloaded nearly 8 gigs from them now Steam is trying to download 5 gigs... is that normal?

[quote name='ForeStorm']I did this *exact* thing. They guy that was from the guide company got the sale on the console versions, but I was waiting for the PC; so when it came on as a daily deal for Steam, you better believe I jumped on top of that. :D[/QUOTE]
Same here. Bought the guide, then learned that the retail version may never come out. I'll settle with a $17 Steam copy. :cool:

It requires Steam activation, my question is why is Steam downloading another 5 gigs worth of stuff? Is the update that huge or is Steam trying to download the whole game I just downloaded from Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back