Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='INCyr']Anyone know if they have controller support? The store page doesn't say they do, but since they were ported from XBL, it seems like they should. If not, how are the controls? I'd almost rather get them on the 360 if they don't have controller support on Steam, and the price difference isn't that much.[/QUOTE]

At the start of BoD7 it shows the 360 controller, and then says they forgot it's the PC version, so maybe it does, but I actually like the keyboard for it better

So I think the main goal of these sales is to get us to pay the most we are willing to pay for a game. Since a Steam game is essentially free to 'produce' (just the bandwidth costs to serve the files), they can go as low as need be to reach us.

It is far better to sell a copy of the game for a dollar or two to a steam account, then not to sell the game to that person at all.

I think what Terraria realized (if it wasn't a mistake) half way through the day, is that there were probably people who were willing to pay more for the game who were getting it at the insanely low price, just based on the volume of sales.

I also like the way game devs test to see if you're willing to pay more then the MSRP with those 'collector's' editions at launch.

You know if you ask $5.00 for it, it's going to start the "discussion" all over again. ;)

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']Looks like I have an extra copy of Terraria. My friend played my copy and he didn't like it much. If anybody wants to buy it off of me PM me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']You know if you ask $5.00 for it, it's going to start the "discussion" all over again. ;)[/QUOTE]

uh technially YOU'VE started it all over again lol

[quote name='INCyr']Anyone know if they have controller support? The store page doesn't say they do, but since they were ported from XBL, it seems like they should. If not, how are the controls? I'd almost rather get them on the 360 if they don't have controller support on Steam, and the price difference isn't that much.[/QUOTE]
Supports controllers (360 that I know of), AWESOME games.

[quote name='jkimrey']you know if you ask $5.00 for it, it's going to start the "discussion" all over again. ;)[/quote]

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i hate spending 5 dollas on anything!!!!!!!!!!!

Aren't they 80 MS points a piece on 360? I'm pretty sure BoD VII was 80 but I wasn't even aware another Zeboyd game came out so I never checked on Cthulhu.

[quote name='Killbomb']Aren't they 80 MS points a piece on 360? I'm pretty sure BoD VII was 80 but I wasn't even aware another Zeboyd game came out so I never checked on Cthulhu.[/QUOTE]

BoD7 is 80 but Cthulhu is 240, which is like 3 bucks on Xbox

[quote name='guardian_owl']

I can understand the impulse of Rollingskull, to see something you perceive as utter shit gain high praise and sales whereas something you perceive as much more worthwhile is ignored by the populous (I still cannot fathom how Avatar became the #1 grossing movie of all time for example). It's not much different than how core gamers thumb their noses at facebook games.[/QUOTE]

Avatar's success is not hard to see at all. The 3D was pretty great and a little novel at the time. Without the 3D, it's probably not really worth watching.

People snub Facebook games though, particularly Zynga games, because the president's an ass, and they essentially offer nothing substantial yet make more money than indie developers (like Terraria's) can even dream of.

[quote name='tossin']Avatar's success is not hard to see at all. The 3D was pretty great and a little novel at the time. Without the 3D, it's probably not really worth watching.

People snub Facebook games though, particularly Zynga games, because the president's an ass, and they essentially offer nothing substantial yet make more money than indie developers (like Terraria's) can even dream of.[/QUOTE]

The fact that they offer little gameplay yet make boatloads of money is indeed a problem. Developers chase the money, and most gamers don't want to see Minecraft 2 bug them that since they didn't play yesterday their mine collapsed.

Look at MW2 and the pop-ups that you constantly get for doing trivial tasks. It's clearly "achievements gone bad" and the design is pulled from reward-driven games like FarmVille.

BoD7 supports 360 controller, but does not support my Logitech Cordless Rumblepack 2. Had to use XPadder play the game with a controller. Have not tried CStW yet.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Breath of Death VII is 2.69
CSTW is 2.69
The Double Pack is 2.69[/QUOTE]
Nope, that never happened

They're a package, Breath of Death is a free game added in, the way that Steam is doing it is making sure people see both games because both are fantastic.

I have them for the 360 and I'm buying a second set for the PC to support his efforts here

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Nope, that never happened

They're a package, Breath of Death is a free game added in, the way that Steam is doing it is making sure people see both games because both are fantastic.

I have them for the 360 and I'm buying a second set for the PC to support his efforts here[/QUOTE]

You are right, I'm playing through Breath of Death, fantastic game so far. I haven't started CSTW yet, but I played the trial for it and enjoyed it alot

[quote name='wilflare']thanks.
just thought I should have gotten the remastered PoP Trilogy on PS3 instead.
widescreen and all. (a nagging sense that it could have been played in a better setting)

may give Hitman a try.
should have known the PC versions of PoP werent remastered[/QUOTE]The console versions of PoP aren't "remastered" in any way except they are now in widescreen and in 720p, that's about it. There are no remade assets, in fact the "remasters" are all made from the PC version. Look it up. So unless there is some real anti-aliasing in the remasters, they should in fact look worse than the PC version provided you are running them in higher resolution than 1280x720. The "remaster" term basically refers to the fact they have never looked this good before on a console.

The only thing they might have improved upon (and I would expect them to) is the compression of the FMVs, they are highly compressed on the PC (at least for SoT, haven't gotten round to the other two yet) and look and sound very crappy. Its also possible they used less compressed sound in the game, although I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Also, there is a hack to make Sands of Time and Warrior Within widescreen on the PC, a small program called UniWS. Couldn't be easier to apply and works perfectly. Two Thrones has native widescreen support.

I already own Breath of Death and Cthulu Saves the World on 360. Why am I having such a hard time resisting buying it on Steam as well?

What's. Happening. To. Meeeeee...

[quote name='utopianmachine']I already own Breath of Death and Cthulu Saves the World on 360. Why am I having such a hard time resisting buying it on Steam as well?

What's. Happening. To. Meeeeee...[/QUOTE]

So I take it these games get your seal of approval?

[quote name='utopianmachine']I already own Breath of Death and Cthulu Saves the World on 360. Why am I having such a hard time resisting buying it on Steam as well?

Because their creator is one of the largest voices for indie devs and is a good guy to boot? lol

[quote name='Killbomb']Aren't they 80 MS points a piece on 360? I'm pretty sure BoD VII was 80 but I wasn't even aware another Zeboyd game came out so I never checked on Cthulhu.[/QUOTE]
Breath of Death is a dollar = 80 points
CSTW is 3 bucks =240 points

[quote name='henrylin22']im pretty sure i got CSTW off xbox live for 80msp[/QUOTE]
You didn't, it's been 240 since launch day

I'm not even sure he could sell it for less then 240 because of the size

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']BoD7 is 80 but Cthulhu is 240, which is like 3 bucks on Xbox[/QUOTE]

Ah, I made the right choice getting them on Steam then. :D Played a little of CSTW and I also think no RPG fan can go wrong here especially at that price. Love the music as well. The song in the trailer was awesome and the music is just as good in the game.

You've caught Steamitus. Symptoms include rebuying games you already have on other platforms, double-dipping on the PC just so you can have it "on Steam", and buying games because they're 75% off even though you will never, ever actually play it. There is no cure.

You're becoming one of us. One of uuuuuuuuussss....

Grabbed Cthulhu et cetera. They won't bump any of my summer sale purchases lower on the backlog list, but I have a trip I'm taking in September and these will likely make good laptop selections then. =D

[quote name='Eldredpe']So is BODVII re-textured or something?

I don't remember it being nearly the same size as CSTW on XBLIG.[/QUOTE]
They used the CSTW graphics engine (instead of the original BoD engine) for the port so it is the same as CSTW.

Edit: Actually I am wrong, the original post on it said minor improvements from the engine change and graphics wouldn't qualify as minor I think.

http://zeboyd.com/2011/05/19/breath-of-death-vii-pc-free-stuff-and-donate-button/

[quote name='CapnO']So I take it these games get your seal of approval?[/QUOTE]

Breath of Death really amused me with all of its humorous RPG references. Battles are fast, and the characters are great. It was well worth 80 MSP when I got it.

Although I own Cthulu on 360 (bought the day it came out to try to help Zeboyd Games), I still haven't played it.

[quote name='BitLooter']You've caught Steamitus. Symptoms include rebuying games you already have on other platforms, double-dipping on the PC just so you can have it "on Steam", and buying games because they're 75% off even though you will never, ever actually play it. There is no cure.

You're becoming one of us. One of uuuuuuuuussss....[/QUOTE]

:applause:

LOL what on earth? Cthulhu saves the world and the other one. Never heard of these before but they look awesome. Love that retro RPG stuff. And 3 bucks for both? Neato. Getting one when I get home from school

[quote name='callmewoof']LOL what on earth? Cthulhu saves the world and the other one. Never heard of these before but they look awesome. Love that retro RPG stuff. And 3 bucks for both? Neato. Getting one when I get home from school[/QUOTE]

I think it was a XBLA indie game. Not sure, but I remember playing the trial at least it looked like the screenshots on steam. Seemed ok, trying a bit too hard to be retro maybe. But yeah, I am a sucker for the modern retro genre. Bought the pack.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I think it was a XBLA indie game. Not sure, but I remember playing the trial at least it looked like the screenshots on steam. Seemed ok, trying a bit too hard to be retro maybe. But yeah, I am a sucker for the modern retro genre. Bought the pack.[/QUOTE]

It's completely retro. It's not retro with a modern twist, the game is pure retro with plenty of silly jokes on the way. The problem I find with both games is that either one could've been made in RPG Maker.

[quote name='gcorlett']Good article. May I also recommend another article for people who are newer to Steam?

After the first holiday sale (Dec 08/Jan 09), Gabe Newell made interesting comments about how successful the deep price cuts are. In brief:

• 10% sale = 35% increase in sales (real dollars, not units shipped)
  • 25% sale = 245% increase in sales
  • 50% sale = 320% increase in sales
  • 75% sale = 1470% increase in sales
They had also just run a 50% off sale for L4D1 just 3 months after it had been released, and saw a 3000% increase in sales. That was the legendary "Valentines Day" L4D sale that you sometimes hear mentioned here, and it really set the pace for the steep cuts we see on Valve's games. These were the early days of Steam learning how to make us love to give them our money! 50% off a (basically) brand new game? SURE! We're a little more jaded now (witness: Terrarria!)

Look closely - that's REAL DOLLARS, not units sold. 15x the sales, when sold at 75% off, means they sold almost 60 times the volume of units. No wonder the servers are slammed during sales!

The full article (it's short) is here.[/QUOTE]

I think "we're a little more spoiled now" would be better in reference to Terraria.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I think it was a XBLA indie game. Not sure, but I remember playing the trial at least it looked like the screenshots on steam. Seemed ok, trying a bit too hard to be retro maybe. But yeah, I am a sucker for the modern retro genre. Bought the pack.[/QUOTE]

Cthulu Saves the World and Breath of Death were both 360 indie games. They're really great and offer retro gaming experiences.

[quote name='martyback']It's completely retro. It's not retro with a modern twist, the game is pure retro with plenty of silly jokes on the way. The problem I find with both games is that either one could've been made in RPG Maker.[/QUOTE]

The point isn't that the game could have been made in RPG Maker. The point is that it was made and that it's great.

[quote name='utopianmachine']

The point isn't that the game could have been made in RPG Maker. The point is that it was made and that it's great.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Who cares if the games are made in RPG Maker or C++ or whatever. What matters is the game is fun, and a good title. Plus there still needed time to develop this, it's not like ok I make a game in a day. I have messed around with RPG Maker Actually and while it does simplifies some things, it's still a fucking lot of work.

My new goal is to not buy anything off Steam until the Thanksgiving sale. That is unless one of those daily deals pop up that are incredible. We will see how long I last, lol.

And besides all that, how can I pass up TWO retro RPGs for $2.70? You can't even buy dragon warrior + final fantasy for that price. (Emulators don't count, ya scurvy pirate!)

[quote name='Rehykja']Weekend Deal - Zeno Clash - $3.75 - 75% off

I thought I was done after the Summer Sale, but damn it I'm in.[/QUOTE]
Ok so I lied. I thought Cthulhu Saves the World would be my last purchase until the next sale, but god damn this looks fun. I am in because it looks like a decent first person game.

I have a love-hate relationship with Steam going on. I love it until the sales, and then we do our thing and then I hate it for the next few weeks for raping my wallet, then it's all good again :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ok so I lied. I thought Cthulhu Saves the World would be my last purchase until the next sale, but god damn this looks fun. I am in because it looks like a decent first person game.

I have a love-hate relationship with Steam going on. I love it until the sales, and then we do our thing and then I hate it for the next few weeks for raping my wallet, then it's all good again :lol:.[/QUOTE]

It's a neat game, especially for $3.75. Really kinda trippy world and it's interesting doing hand-to-hand combat in first person. I think it's worth the cash, plus there's a demo if you're on the fence. I actually have had this on my to buy list for a while, but was waiting to see if it slipped lower than the Summer Sale.

I have that love/hate thing with Steam too. I can afford what I buy, but I don't have enough time to play all of it so the backlog grows. Still, I guess that's not such a bad problem to have when you put it in perspective. ;)

[quote name='Rehykja']Weekend Deal - Zeno Clash - $3.75 - 75% off

I thought I was done after the Summer Sale, but damn it I'm in.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that games looks weird.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I have a love-hate relationship with Steam going on. I love it until the sales, and then we do our thing and then I hate it for the next few weeks for raping my wallet, then it's all good again :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an abusive relationship. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back