Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='houdinilogic']haven't played them yet, but reviews i looked at on rpgamer.com said ~4 hours for BoD and ~8 hours for cthulhu.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. Looks like steam is getting more of my money.

[quote name='bantheradio']Anyone know of any good Torchlight mod sites? I know that there were a few listed when it was on sale during the daily deal but I've dug through this thread and haven't had any luck finding such links.[/QUOTE]

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/downloads.php

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Anybody know how long new releases (i.e. the Cthulhu pack) are usually on sale at the 10% off "new release" price?[/QUOTE]

Does it matter? It's like, 30 cents off.

[quote name='LegioXIX']Overwhelmed by all the games you bought during the summer sale? Don't know what to play? I came across this program which might help:

I’m feeling lucky
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/15/dont-know-what-to-play-add-an-im-feeling-lucky-button-to-steam/[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for posting that! After adding it to my Non-Steam games list I edited the name with a hyphen before the name so that it appeared at the top of the list. Underscore just pushes it down to the bottom.

Video Game Roulette Get! :D

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Anybody know how long new releases (i.e. the Cthulhu pack) are usually on sale at the 10% off "new release" price?[/QUOTE]

1 week(so until july 20th). check out a game's store page and click on "read related news" on the side of the page in game details section. It'll usually tell you how long a sale lasts.

Yay, steam is having problems.

I go to buy the Cthulhu saves the world bundle, and it adds fine to my cart. Click on Zeno Clash and it's server unavailable.

Stupid Stream.

[quote name='doodofdoods']1 week(so until july 20th). check out a game's store page and click on "read related news" on the side of the page in game details section. It'll usually tell you how long a sale lasts.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for this. CAG teaches me something new all the time :)

Have 27.47USD in Steam Wallet that I would like to convert to PayPal or Amazon Gift Card
Pay me with PayPal or Amazon Gift Card and I'll gift you your game of choice

Is Dungeons of Dredmor any good?

Alright, I can't seem to find a FarCry 2 topic in the gaming section (and it would probably be a few years untouched by this point), so I hope no one minds if I ask here since this is the Steam version.

I'm playing FC2 and just after you beat the tutorial missions, you're told to head to Mike's Bar. I go there, but when I go inside, the people that I seem to remember having to meet when I first played years ago on the 360 aren't there. There's just a few floating books where the table and people should be. I can't progress forward until I talk to them, and quitting/reloading doesn't help. I ran into this on the 360 version too when I last tried to replay a few months ago, and its driving me mad. I can't even find anything on this glitch online. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

[quote name='NeoGutsman']^I think you'll have better responses and success in the trading forums. :)[/QUOTE]

thanks for the heads up, posted!

I played Dungeons of Dredmor. It has about as much polish as you'd expect. Good music. I got pretty far once I rolled a fighter-heavy class. Every single early tier magic spell is damn near useless or just a way to do a bit of damage at range to use that otherwise worthless blue number.

90% of the swag in the dungeons is crafting fodder, and since I did not major in crafting, I did not have the skills to do much of anything with the crafting, even if I grinded at the tier 0 crafting recipes so that just left an entire dungeon full of vendor fodder. This isn't Nethack or the like where you're picking up keys and towels and pickaxes and cream pies, loads of useful side crap. It's tiresome, to say the least.

Regening HP and mana requires food and booze respectively, and any consumed just adds X turns of 1/turn regen.

I cleared the first level after about two to three hours of play time (Huge levels) and I am just dulled by the experience. Leveled about 4 times and still felt like I was weak sauce even with better loot. Dungeon Level 2 versions of the same enemies were reaming me. I've not been one for roguelikes once my obsession with Nethack waned into boredom and this does nothing to rekindle the flames. If the music weren't a hoot and the descriptions kinda smile-worthy, I would rage and consider this a waste of $5, especially against the superior, free roguelikes out there. But I think it's alright.

Verdict: Eh.

And don't roll a caster.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You're just more man than the rest of us. Does your hubby know?[/QUOTE]

Heh, we're both gamers. Until we got married, I had never had a gaming computer. He just built me one earlier this year, so I'm new to PC gaming.

But I'm LOVING Steam. It's like a console experience on PC.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Alright, I can't seem to find a FarCry 2 topic in the gaming section (and it would probably be a few years untouched by this point), so I hope no one minds if I ask here since this is the Steam version.

I'm playing FC2 and just after you beat the tutorial missions, you're told to head to Mike's Bar. I go there, but when I go inside, the people that I seem to remember having to meet when I first played years ago on the 360 aren't there. There's just a few floating books where the table and people should be. I can't progress forward until I talk to them, and quitting/reloading doesn't help. I ran into this on the 360 version too when I last tried to replay a few months ago, and its driving me mad. I can't even find anything on this glitch online. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I had this issue, too. You first have to head to the building across from Mike's Bar (there are 3-4 buildings in that location) to check out the gun shop. If you pull up your map (hit 5) and zoom in, you will see which building it is.

[quote name='ndawgdrake']I had this issue, too. You first have to head to the building across from Mike's Bar (there are 3-4 buildings in that location) to check out the gun shop. If you pull up your map (hit 5) and zoom in, you will see which building it is.[/QUOTE]
Oh man, derp. Can't believe I forgot to check and make sure I was going to the right objective. Thanks, problem solved. :)

[quote name='RollingSkull']I played Dungeons of Dredmor. It has about as much polish as you'd expect. Good music. I got pretty far once I rolled a fighter-heavy class. Every single early tier magic spell is damn near useless or just a way to do a bit of damage at range to use that otherwise worthless blue number.

Verdict: Eh.

And don't roll a caster.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the mini review. I was asking people on my friend's list about this game after watching the WTF. I have so many roguelikes on the iphone already, think I will hold out till its $2.50 during the winter sale.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']:whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mramazing']:whistle2:#:whistle2:#:hot:[/QUOTE]

Lol, when I said Steam was like a console experience on PC, I meant that you play everything through one interface. Instead of using all these different clients to play games, just keeping everything (or at least, the majority) through Steam really streamlines things.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Lol, when I said Steam was like a console experience on PC, I meant that you play everything through one interface. Instead of using all these different clients to play games, just keeping everything (or at least, the majority) through Steam really streamlines things.[/QUOTE]

haha nice save :cool:

[quote name='utopianmachine']Heh, we're both gamers. Until we got married, I had never had a gaming computer. He just built me one earlier this year, so I'm new to PC gaming.

But I'm LOVING Steam. It's like a console experience on PC.[/QUOTE]

And with a laptop that can run the big games, it's like having a portable console that plays some of the best games out there on the go without having to drag a TV, console, and games around. :D

Games for Windows Live Title that is also cross platform.

Meaning if you already have a xbox 360 copy of this, you can snag this PC version and gift it to your PC only brother and frag his butt. That is if you can talk him into using the GFWL service and create a gamertag :)

For achievo seekers, cross platform games share the same achievo list, so you cannot double dip.

By the way, playing Dredmoor, here's a build I recommend.

Swords
Shields
Dodger
Crossbows
Aimer

You probably will need the ranged of crossbows when the OBLIGATORY ROGUELIKE INSTAKILL/ARMOR DESTROYING/WEAPON DESTROY ENEMIES that I haven't seen but know will appear instantly. Level 2 dodger gives you the knight's jump skill which is free and nice. You can take an additional caster suit just to give you something to do with the blue bar. Level 1 Golemancy summons basically a spike trap at a spot you cast which is good for clever play and a bit less annoying than an all-too-short buff but probably less useful.

I am still rather annoyed by my forgetting to purchase Revenge of the Titans when it was on sale. That game looks perfect for me.

Kind of eyeing Universe at War. It's apparently made by a lot of the old Westwood staff and I was quite a fan of pre-Generals Command & Conquer. I think that alone warrants giving the demo a try. If it does turn out to be not too bad at all, will totally be getting this to support some devs who had quite an impact on my gaming childhood. =)

I had Universe at War, and I think it was merely an average RTS. Empire at War on the other hand, is amazing. Same people, entirely different levels of quality.

[quote name='Kush']I am still rather annoyed by my forgetting to purchase Revenge of the Titans when it was on sale. That game looks perfect for me.[/QUOTE]

Revenge of the Titans is fun, but far from a "perfect" game. The level up system is not balanced well at all, depending on how you choose to level up the game can become extremely easy or nearly impossible, usually the latter. The only way to level up is to beat a level, so you can't grind or anything to level up what you actually needed to of been leveling up the whole game, so you basically have to restart the game because you choose to level up the wrong things.

[quote name='Kush']I am still rather annoyed by my forgetting to purchase Revenge of the Titans when it was on sale. That game looks perfect for me.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it was included in one of the humble indie bundles. I'll bet someone still has an unused key.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I played Dungeons of Dredmor.

And don't roll a caster.[/QUOTE]

That's too bad to hear. I like playing casters. How do rogues do? How does stealth work?

[quote name='AvidWriter']That's too bad to hear. I like playing casters. How do rogues do? How does stealth work?[/QUOTE]
Haven't rolled a sneaker but there's a sneak stat and a couple of sleeping monsters here and there and you can skill up into burglary and rob from the merchants but they don't have anything I'd fight a boss for. Also, a skillset for powerful hits on unaware foes.

Casters MIGHT be viable later, but your spells early on are just garbage. I'm not exactly a roguelike expert.

Big levels and slow progression and precious little in the way of useful loot just makes the whole thing feel like a grindfest but now I can't stop.

EDIT: Reportedly, the fire spell path becomes great if you can last that long. So take that for what it's worth.

EDIT2: I don't know why Nation Red is great because I HATE twin-stick shooters. But it totally is great fun and I can't stop putting a game or two in of it each night.

I like Nation Red in Random Perk Mode, though trying to combine a great set of complementary perks is fun as well :]

I've never played a roguelike, but for $4.50 it's hard not to give Dredmor a shot. I had to wiki the term, though.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Haven't rolled a sneaker but there's a sneak stat and a couple of sleeping monsters here and there and you can skill up into burglary and rob from the merchants but they don't have anything I'd fight a boss for. Also, a skillset for powerful hits on unaware foes.

Casters MIGHT be viable later, but your spells early on are just garbage. I'm not exactly a roguelike expert.

Big levels and slow progression and precious little in the way of useful loot just makes the whole thing feel like a grindfest but now I can't stop.

EDIT: Reportedly, the fire spell path becomes great if you can last that long. So take that for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]

Astrology is pretty nice early on for its first spell. Adds to damage, defense (I think) and occasionally when you get hit, it will send out an AoE shockwave 1 tile in every direction that hits a decent amount. Lasts for 5 hits against you.

Golemancy's third spell is great when you hit a zoo because you can become overwhelmed very, very fast. It makes a wall on a single tile per cast.

Zoos are a bitch until you figure out how to deal with them or have the capacity to. If you open a door to one, make sure you don't corner yourself into a bunch of rooms that have dead ends and the only exit is in the middle of where the zoo enemies are at now.

[quote name='Draekon']Astrology is pretty nice early on for its first spell. Adds to damage, defense (I think) and occasionally when you get hit, it will send out an AoE shockwave 1 tile in every direction that hits a decent amount. Lasts for 5 hits against you.

Golemancy's third spell is great when you hit a zoo because you can become overwhelmed very, very fast. It makes a wall on a single tile per cast.

Zoos are a bitch until you figure out how to deal with them or have the capacity to. If you open a door to one, make sure you don't corner yourself into a bunch of rooms that have dead ends and the only exit is in the middle of where the zoo enemies are at now.[/QUOTE]

Does the game actually refer to these places as zoos? I'm having a hard time to resist the purchase.

[quote name='RockMySocks10']Revenge of the Titans is fun, but far from a "perfect" game. The level up system is not balanced well at all, depending on how you choose to level up the game can become extremely easy or nearly impossible, usually the latter. The only way to level up is to beat a level, so you can't grind or anything to level up what you actually needed to of been leveling up the whole game, so you basically have to restart the game because you choose to level up the wrong things.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree with you. I love this type of game, but I found Revenge of the Titans having severe balance issues that really ruin the flow. If the option to replay levels for additional funds had been implemented, the game would have won me over a bit more. Otherwise, the game looks and plays well, and it has some cute, brief sequences between missions.

Overall, it was a nice addition to the Humble Indie Bundle.

[quote name='Khamous']Does the game actually refer to these places as zoos? I'm having a hard time to resist the purchase.[/QUOTE]
Once you open the door, the music changes and the text MONSTER ZOO splashes on the screen

[quote name='Terlan']Who's that flying for $2.99 today. Looks kinda meh to me so I will pass.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna pass also, for only 50% off it doesn't look to appealing.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Once you open the door, the music changes and the text MONSTER ZOO splashes on the screen[/QUOTE]

Hnnng, sounds, funny :(. Want but, so much spent on the sale, lol.

You know, I never wrote out my summer sale games list, so here it is.

Fallout New Vegas (BB actually, but same time period)
Fallout New Vegas DLCs
Hoard
King Arthur Collection
Magicka
Penny Arcade Collection
Singularity
Transformers: War for Cybertron

And today I picked up Who's That Flying? The video won me over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back