Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
What's the consensus on the 480 4GB vs. 8GB? What good would the 8GB do? Prices are finally normalizing and I see the 8GB as cheap as $200 with rebates and coupons. See the 4GB hit $175ish. Friend is looking for a new GPU and wondering if he might as well spend the few extra bucks to double up the memory.
I'm sure D is posting a novel right now but 25 bucks for the chance of being more future proof seems reasonable to me... and, well, the requirement for VRAM is rocketed up considerably the last few years so I really think it would be money well spent.

He might as well.

^

More and more games are using 4k textures, and that can easily eat up that 4gb. In some games you can even specify the texture size like in elite and have it use 6k/8k textures since they are generated. It provides a great image boost with almost no performance hit, just as long as you got the ram. That way you dont have to think about hitting that 'ultra' setting on texture quality

I'm sure D is posting a novel right now but 25 bucks for the chance of being more future proof seems reasonable to me... and, well, the requirement for VRAM is rocketed up considerably the last few years so I really think it would be money well spent.
Thanks for the feedback. Was leaning that way, but figured I'd ask since he wants to save as much money as possible.

Also, MysterD, I have what I need. Please save the effort and instead play something with the time you save.

Yeah, he might as well. Just make sure he has an SSD.

I'm not going to be able to relax until I hear what MysterD has to say about all of this.
3o6gbeJwA9jRp6M0Lu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting... Maybe I will pick it up now. I would much rather play with a some cag friends than all alone
We'll definitely be playing it. If you haven't already, good idea to add me and I can invite you to the CAG bro group where we play. Had enough promises of people that are going to buy it that we should have more than enough. Unless people back out, but that would make them dishonorable and I'd have to burn their face with a hot iron.

Dead by Daylight was probably the most fun I've had playing with the bros, with the possible exception of that Jackbox game. I'll be picking it up too so I can feel even worse when I can't make the event.

As for the Skyrim audio, I don't think it was done for parity considering that the PS4 version's audio is supposed to be just fine. It was just a fuck up!

So far I haven't heard a single reason why I'd want to bother installing the new Skyrim edition.
There's a few more graphics features (like TXA) and some better quality textures here. Noticed that quite instantly, right off the bat.

Problem is w/ TXA just like it is in FO4 - you need to use an additional outside AA filter from NVidia/AMD Panel or some SweetFX w/ multiple AA features - even if it's just the low-resource hogging FXAA just to combat the poor TXA vasoline-like look that gets smeared over your screen.

For me, the current lack of Quickloot Mod + lack of especially SkyUI (or anything similar) right kills Skyrim SE. While this is nice to have a 64-bit Skyrim version w/ Skyrim SE, it needs more mods - namely, just those two, to suit me - ported over to get me into it.

It also needs to perform better, too. I don't know what it is, but Skyrim SE running at 30FPS at Ultra tops on my 970. At High, 60FPS no problem. Original Skyrim runs much better at its Max settings. So, I don't know what they did here w/ Skyrim SE - don't know if they VSync'ed the crap out of this; Adaptive VSync'd it in-game; or something isn't mixing w/ my global NVidia Panel settings. I'd have to mess w/ my Skyrim SE specific settings on my NVidia panel probably, too. Something isn't fully right here - and w/out the mods that I feel are necessary more so than anything, I just am going to wait on SE until they get it in better + more suitable shape for me.

It must be an nvidia vsync setting, On my partners tower (4690k) her R9 380 4GB is doing 60fps at 1080p on Ultra with the occasional frame drop  down into the high 40s.

What's the consensus on the 480 4GB vs. 8GB? What good would the 8GB do? Prices are finally normalizing and I see the 8GB as cheap as $200 with rebates and coupons. See the 4GB hit $175ish. Friend is looking for a new GPU and wondering if he might as well spend the few extra bucks to double up the memory.
Higher textures, resolutions & graphics settings could be useful w/ the 8GB - especially if you're above 1920x1080. This might also help, if they go extra-wide - b/c 2560x1080 is going to need more VRAM than 1920x1080.

Though, the bigger buffer is really going to be much more useful at 1440p & 4K (2160p).

Might as well spend the small amount of the extra $25 for the bigger VRAM buffer, honestly - just to future-proof. It's not like it's A LOT more money for double the VRAM buffer here, TBH. You're talking $25, for crying out loud. It's not like we're talking 100's of $ here.

Some games are starting to use 5-6GB of VRAM at higher settings.

Civ 6 Earth Mod wants 6GB VRAM - http://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civilization-6-earth-map-mod

Doom 2016's Nightmare graphics setting wants 5GB VRAM - http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52122/dooms-nightmare-graphics-setting-requires-insane-5gb-vram/index.html

SoM wants 6GB VRAM at its top settings - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-eyes-on-with-pc-shadow-of-mordors-6gb-textures

EDIT:

More and more games are using 4k textures, and that can easily eat up that 4gb. In some games you can even specify the texture size like in elite and have it use 6k/8k textures since they are generated.

It provides a great image boost with almost no performance hit, just as long as you got the ram. That way you dont have to think about hitting that 'ultra' setting on texture quality.
Bingo.

EDIT 2:

Agreed.

What??? Have you already forgotten our Rocket League Championship? :speaktothehand:
Is that the day I left on you guys to play Street Fighter V again?

On an another note, Don't Starve together is super fun.
If anyone owns it we can do a bro date for it since we can play with multiple people on it.

Is that the day I left on you guys to play Street Fighter V again?

On an another note, Don't Starve together is super fun.
If anyone owns it we can do a bro date for it since we can play with multiple people on it.
We did Don't Starve Together once and the main issue (and I guess technically it's an issue with any survival game) is that when any one of us died, it respawned us all the way back at the beginning. Now I think there might be like something you can craft to spawn closer, but I don't think any of us were able to spawn it any time.

Other survival games at least randomly spawn you so you may be closer to the group. I think that was the nail in the coffin for us, but maybe they fixed it. I'd be up for playing it again.

It's not what they needed at all. Are you assuming that they are running the audio through the GPU?

v8ccqht.jpg
Hey guess what takes up space in RAM? Audio. Lower the quality of audio, get more space for other stuff. Or, you can load it faster from the disk or hard drive.

I originally thought "the less space the audio takes up in RAM, the more space there is for texture data" but I forget that consoles have dedicated VRAM. But it does mean there's more space for other stuff, like the actual, higher quality models, in the main system RAM.

Now if you'll excuse me I just came back from watching Doctor Strange and I'm still dizzy from all those weird special effects.

We can't activate it either.

I blame the Brexiters.

Edit: Also, that whole hot chicken thing... what is that, just fried chicken with hot spices? I mean, real hot spices, not the crappy Tabasco sauce that white people like to use on everything?
Dried scorpion peppers or get the fuck out.

When BGCQ is my primary Steam group, all the Bro-Op events show in the side community panel.  When I make the Bro-Op group my primary, no events show in the side panels.  WTF Steam?  :whistle2:k

When BGCQ is my primary Steam group, all the Bro-Op events show in the side community panel. When I make the Bro-Op group my primary, no events show in the side panels. WTF Steam? :whistle2:k
Every now and then the events don't show up at all for me period, even with Bro-Op as my main group. I think it's just a Steam glitch.

Fox Review:

Usual Fox Review warnings - bought this game really not knowing anything about it and basing my impressions on playing the tutorial (10 levels).

Slayaway Camp:

Okay, so this turned out to be a puzzle game with the premise that you're a killer and you have to kill victims at the camp. Game mechanics is you click in one direction and the killer will go in that direction until he hits a wall or obstacle so you have to figure out what combination of moves will get him to your intended target. Some variety in that there are items in the levels that you can scare your victims into running into like fires and pits. You also have to get back to the portal at the end of each level so you have to make sure you end up in a position to do so. Some levels give you a max amount of moves to solve the puzzle in.

I had a freaking blast. I love me a good puzzle game and this fits the bill. Read a few reviews and gleamed the following info (but have not verified accuracy):

The studio who made this game is run by a former PopCap guy who was high up and they made quality games.

Game is supposed to give you 15-20 hours of game play (which is massive for the price).

After each level you can use coins you earn to buy different killers/deaths, etc.

I got it at Humble for the added 10% off plus 5% to the pups at the Humane Society plus 5% to my Humble wallet. I haven't checked, but I assume that's the best deal for it.

If this sounds like your cup of tea, look into it.

So apparently now I have all the dlc for skyrim, thanks bethesda, best free game ever.
Thanks Amazon Tony for allowing this to happen before amazon digital went tits up.
Glad the dlc never went on sale at a reasonable non ass raping price. I might've actually spent money on it.

Ps found drabe's secret liquor stash.

Hey guess what takes up space in RAM? Audio. Lower the quality of audio, get more space for other stuff. Or, you can load it faster from the disk or hard drive.

I originally thought "the less space the audio takes up in RAM, the more space there is for texture data" but I forget that consoles have dedicated VRAM. But it does mean there's more space for other stuff, like the actual, higher quality models, in the main system RAM.

Now if you'll excuse me I just came back from watching Doctor Strange and I'm still dizzy from all those weird special effects.
So here's an interesting bit of news for ya. Bethesda is aware of the issue and will be updating the game sometime next week to ix it.

As something that may shock you it seems that the PS4 version actually has higher quality audio than even the original PC release had and only the PC and Xbox One version suffered the loss of audio quality.

Kinda debunks the theory that Bethesda lowered the quality of the audio to match the consoles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/59u0iw/the_skyrim_special_edition_features_a_significant/d9btgdu/

Found the fix for Skyrim Special Edition 30FPS cap issue that I was having.

Basically, go into My Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimPrefs.INI and switch the in-game VSync Off by turning VSyncPresentInterval=1 & change that value number to 0 so that it reads VSyncPresentInterval=0. Save the file. 

Basically, this is the Fallout 4 FPS performance fix.

Hopefully, Physics + Hit Detection don't go out the window now.

I've got MSI Afterburner capping this at 60FPS w/ this gamed maxed-out at 1080p here - with in-game settings having TXA on; everything else on and at their highest setting; & also the NVidia Panel Enhancing the in-game AA on with FXAA used to drown-out the vasoline-like smearing look that TXA causes.

Much better.

Now I need at least ported over both the QuickLoot Mod + SkyUI Mod and I'll be good to go w/ this new Special Edition.

Alright, official picked up Dead By Daylight. Nvidia should have keys back in stock.

Edit:

Also, with a 10% off wishlist coupon and red card, 3 copies if Battlefield 1 could be as cheap as 36.xx at target. Not $30, but awfully close.

So here's an interesting bit of news for ya. Bethesda is aware of the issue and will be updating the game sometime next week to ix it.

As something that may shock you it seems that the PS4 version actually has higher quality audio than even the original PC release had and only the PC and Xbox One version suffered the loss of audio quality.

Kinda debunks the theory that Bethesda lowered the quality of the audio to match the consoles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/59u0iw/the_skyrim_special_edition_features_a_significant/d9btgdu/
Makes sense, Bethesda games have always been superior on PS.

I think you might be having a stroke, man. And this isn't even a Fox's mom joke.
More like, Fox's mom...stroke. jejejeje

He might be referring to the fresh and clean smell of that Summer's Eve douche Mr. Ghetto and his four minutes of saying the same words over and over while strippers shake their asses in the toy aisle at Walmart.

More like, Fox's mom...stroke. jejejeje

He might be referring to the fresh and clean smell of that Summer's Eve douche Mr. Ghetto and his four minutes of saying the same words over and over while strippers shake their asses in the toy aisle at Walmart.
u just jellos dat he came up with da genius idea of making it rain fries BA DA BA BA BA SHES LOVIN IT

Found the fix for Skyrim Special Edition 30FPS cap issue that I was having.

Basically, go into My Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimPrefs.INI and switch the in-game VSync Off by turning VSyncPresentInterval=1 & change that value number to 0 so that it reads VSyncPresentInterval=0. Save the file.

Basically, this is the Fallout 4 FPS performance fix.

Hopefully, Physics + Hit Detection don't go out the window now.

I've got MSI Afterburner capping this at 60FPS w/ this gamed maxed-out at 1080p here - with in-game settings having TXA on; everything else on and at their highest setting; & also the NVidia Panel Enhancing the in-game AA on with FXAA used to drown-out the vasoline-like smearing look that TXA causes.

Much better.

Now I need at least ported over both the QuickLoot Mod + SkyUI Mod and I'll be good to go w/ this new Special Edition.
After screwing around with mods, pref settings, and NvidiaInspector last night I managed to make the special edition completely unplayable. This is because I have no idea what I'm doing. BUT, after I went about trying to repair the damage I'd done I've somehow got the game running on Ultra at 1440p and I'm getting anywhere between 80-120 fps depending on whether I'm inside or outdoors, and so far I haven't had a single issue. This is odd, since the last time I played Skyrim at 60+ FPS I thought I was having an aneurysm.

Sadly, since this was just a pleasant side effect to my utter incompetence I can't offer any advice on how to replicate it other than make your game unplayable and then try to fix it.

After screwing around with mods, pref settings, and NvidiaInspector last night I managed to make the special edition completely unplayable. This is because I have no idea what I'm doing. BUT, after I went about trying to repair the damage I'd done I've somehow got the game running on Ultra at 1440p and I'm getting anywhere between 80-120 fps depending on whether I'm inside or outdoors, and so far I haven't had a single issue. This is odd, since the last time I played Skyrim at 60+ FPS I thought I was having an aneurysm.

Sadly, since this was just a pleasant side effect to my utter incompetence I can't offer any advice on how to replicate it other than make your game unplayable and then try to fix it.
Keep in mind - old version of Skyrim had 32-bit EXE. Skyrim SE should run+perform better, since it's a 64-bit EXE.... provided you have decent hardware+software to support that, of course... and sounds like you do, since you have nice framerates over 60FPS.

Since you have 80-120FPS, you probably forced VSync Off somewhere - either via NVidia Panel/AMD Panel; changed VSync settings in Skyrim's Prefs.INI; NVidia Inspector; or something.

From what I'm reading on Steam's boards: Bethesda's games on their engine these days normally have a 60FPS cap and have VSync On - they're built around that, unfortunately.

So...sure - you could leave it uncapped. If all goes well, you have no issues, and you're fine w/ its performance - leave it alone.

But, if anything goes out the window - i.e. physics go horribly wrong, in-game schedules are off, AI goes wonkier (than usual), animations are messier, you get screen tearing, any other graphical weirdness, hit-detection is way off, etc etc - you might want to 60FPS cap it; or just enable VSync again.

It might just be best to cap it at 60FPS with a 3rd party program (like MSI Afterburner or enable VSync via NVidia Panel), if you disable Skyrim's in-game VSync method.

I normally often do keep VSync off b/c I want the extra frames + performance; and I usually aim for 60FPS myself. If things start going + flying right out the window, then VSync will have to go back on.

This just proves that bitching on the internet is useful!

Also: Not buying their "it was a mistake" excuse.

Also: I may just be poking fun at you right now, or maybe I'm poking fun at myself. In conclusion:

46788971.jpg

Oh I forgot, the local Walmart where I picked up that Divinity ages ago had Doom for PC for twenty bucks. I'm not sure why, since their website has it for 41 bucks.

New milestone?

jpKP5sy.jpg
I actually hit this exact milestone yesterday at about the same time you posted this. I've been trying out as many games as I possibly can before the end of the month, since Comcast is rolling out their new cap on the 1st. The only difference is, rather than hide them completely, I stick them in a category called "ignore."

peeLXfO.png

I guess this makes us backlog buddies?

Oh I forgot, the local Walmart where I picked up that Divinity ages ago had Doom for PC for twenty bucks. I'm not sure why, since their website has it for 41 bucks.
GameStop had it for $20 a while back and NewEgg as well. I think places are just clearing out the retail stock.

Is it wrong for me to want the Cubs to get up 3 games to none in the World Series, and be up by 5 runs in the ninth inning in game 4, only to blow the series in spectacular fashion?
Now that almost the exact opposite situation has presented itself, I'm gonna switch to rooting for a Cleveland Indians collapse. No real reason other than that I'm a horrible person who is rooting for misery.

Lets go Cubbies!!!

It's probably been posted before and most people already know, but if you don't, Rocket League had a few new halloween items added for their halloween event, including repeats of last years items. The event ends November 4th. I'll be playing with Parallacks tonight, if anyone wants to join or play for some halloween drops, hit me up on steam.

You can even watch Parallacks pee in full HD, or ultrawide if that's your thing!

mysterp.png

bread's done
Back