Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones are $60 on Best Buy w/ Free Shipping.

Anyone got a pair of these? Any thoughts on them, if you do?

I ordered a Logitech G710 Mechanical Keyboard last night. Looking forward to it arriving, when it does.

Anyone got one of those? If you do, thoughts?
I am currently using the Blue Switch version of the G710 and it's been a great keyboard for the 1+ yrs I have been using only thing that sucks it is not rgb but that's more of an nit pick.

A lot of people care about bass though. Unless I'm mixing, I don't want a flat sound. Bass is important for explosions and stuff in games too.

I've never heard these Senns, but I'd put my money on the Philips SHP9500S, just based on overall reviews from people who've heard both.
They aren't flat by any means...they just dont have over inflated Bass like most people nowadays like.

Should check out more reviews on Audiophile's/Head-Fi's website to see real reviews...ppl prefer the 558's vs 9500s

Also Sennheiser makes some of the best headphones on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
How was it horrible? I wasn't being sarcastic. The set fits a very specific niche, even for people looking for reference headphones.

- If you like bass, don't get them.

Their bass is weak as fuck, compared to other reference headphones. (better sound stage than most reference headphones)

- If you want a closed set, don't get them.

They're open. (obviously)

- If you want to use them for gaming, don't get them.

They're open, and aren't designed for something like surround sound, and doesn't have a mic. (wrong about surround sound; also Open is better for gaming, except for the sound leakage.....gg)

- If you don't use 1/4" jacks, don't get them.

None of the included cables is 3.5mm, and the adapter is massive. (The adapter is not massive...and it's for gaming not for on the go)

- If you don't have any headphone amps, don't get them.

50 ohm is on the higher side for headphones not using amps, so they're poorly driven by many devices if you don't have an amp. (I wouldn't got even close to saying "poorly driven", you would hardly notice a difference)

Nothing I said was wrong.
But your points are absolutely bad, hence why I commented.

17f02eb7d01c6c3f7b511a37f58f5e07.jpg

That adapter is YUGGGGE

- How does a better sound stage refute that it's weaker in bass than most reference headphones?
- The adapter is massive.
df4Jr5i.jpg
- Poorly driven depends on the device. Some cheaper phones etc have problems driving this well. Will they work? Yea. But you're still better off with a 35 ohm headset.

17f02eb7d01c6c3f7b511a37f58f5e07.jpg

That adapter is YUGGGGE
So you refute it by connecting it to an amp, instead of directly to a soundcard/phone? Ok then.

Edit: Seriously, connect it directly to your phone and see how ridiculously large it is. I can't even connect it, because my phone case won't fit it.

Earbuds, ew. And what kind of person even uses headphones in their own house? If your wife and/or kids don't like you blasting Mount Your Friends so loud the window panes crack, then they can find another place to live. I'll even send you a link for finding government assistance houses.

They aren't flat by any means...they just dont have over inflated Bass like most people nowadays like.

Should check out more reviews on Audiophile's/Head-Fi's website to see real reviews...ppl prefer the 558's vs 9500s

I've had Senns before, they're good headphones, but checking HeadFi and it seemed pretty split on which ones people prefer.

If you like bass, don't get them. If you want a closed set, don't get them. If you want to use them for gaming, don't get them. If you don't use 1/4" jacks, don't get them. If you don't have any headphone amps, don't get them.

Otherwise, they're great entry level audiophile headphones!
Well, I don't think anyone is gonna use these primarily with a phone in mind so I doubt the big adapter is a problem. Back when I needed a new pair of headphones I did a LOT of research and most audiophile and gaming forums recommended the 558 for the price, as long as you don't mind buying a separate mic (modmic or boompro are good options, boompro requires some modding though). I don't think you can beat the 558s for the price, especially for gaming, and 50 ohm is just fine without an amp, but yeah pretty much anything will sound better with an amp.

The 558 is actually a bit bassier than the 598, which is what I'm using right now. They both use the same driver, so there's probably not that much of a difference except for a slightly nicer soundstage on the 598s. The 598 is very popular for gaming, so I think for $60 you really can't go wrong with the 558. It's one of the best options in that price range unless you NEED a built in mic which is always a crap shoot with headsets, half the time you'll either get a good mic/shit headphones or good headphones/shit mic. The Game One (open) and Game Zero (closed) are good Sennheiser headsets that are based off of the same driver and include a mic if you wanna go that route.

Yes, if you want a lot of bass you're probably better off getting different headphones entirely, but for gaming the 558 for $60 is a good deal.

While we're on topic about audio, what are some cheap earbuds that have some decent audio quality?

While I love my m50x I hate to travel with them everywhere just for them to get damage or worst stolen.
I've haven't found anything that come close to to decent audio listening without sounding like I'm underwater listening to the radio.

Sennheiser makes some very good low to mid price audiophile headphones, however, if it's used for gaming, there might be others to consider.

You might need some headphones more biased to talking voice and gunshot, if possible true surround sound that you can locate where the sound comes found.

Just brushed out a 10+ years old Turtle Beach HPA2 which has 3.1 speakers in each cup for the 5.1 surround. Used to use it with TB Audio Advantage USB 7.1 sound card but seems no longer works with Wndows 10.

While we're on topic about audio, what are some cheap earbuds that have some decent audio quality?

While I love my m50x I hate to travel with them everywhere just for them to get damage or worst stolen.
I've haven't found anything that come close to to decent audio listening without sounding like I'm underwater listening to the radio
Walmart were clearancing out the Jaybird Freedom F5's for $44, if you happen to can find those, they're 100% worth it for that price.

As for cheap earbuds with decent quality, usually Bose has their Soundsports (wired) for $40 around black friday every year. If they sound like the Soundsport Wireless they're very good. If you don't mind wired, tbh, these are what I used to use before going to bluetooth, I thought they sounded pretty great for the price.https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HJE120-K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1507525640&sr=8-9&keywords=wired+headphones

Just brushed out a 10+ years old Turtle Beach HPA2 which has 3.1 speakers in each cup for the 5.1 surround. Used to use it with TB Audio Advantage USB 7.1 sound card but seems no longer works with Wndows 10.
I had issues on W10 w/ my Turtle Beach PX22.

If you have a DAC such as this USB Syba External Sound Card/DAC, throw this in a USB slot and plug your headphones right into the headphones jack. I picked this up for $5 on NewEgg b/c I wanted something better for my tablet, since the Intel on-board sound sucks worse than RealTek and needed a boast in sound levels. Well, it seems to cure my other issues, too. It's bound to hit $5 again, as these always seem to go on sale on NewEgg - pretty useful, if you ask me.

Well, I ran into this issue w/ W10 on my gaming laptop: plugged the DAC in, plugged PX22's in - bingo, it worked. So happy, bought another one for $5 from NewEgg ASAP since it was still on sale.

You could always try to reconfigure things in W10 w/ Realtek and your headphones other ways, but that don't always work and might not be worth the hassle.

Some USB-based headphones don't always get along w/ Realtek On-Board Sound Cards on W10.

GO GO GO!!! ULTRA MEGA HYPER EXCLUSIVE!!!!

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/917346724078858240

If you like bass, don't get them. If you want a closed set, don't get them. If you want to use them for gaming, don't get them. If you don't use 1/4" jacks, don't get them. If you don't have any headphone amps, don't get them.

Honestly your post is terrible.

Open headphones are the best sound stage for true sound (like the sound you want for gaming) Who cares for bass?

As for a mixamp, yes it does make it sound better...but these don’t need the extra oomph to drive them...

Not worth it right now. BF is close and they will be cheaper and the 598s will be $99 like always.
A lot of people care about bass though. Unless I'm mixing, I don't want a flat sound. Bass is important for explosions and stuff in games too.

I've never heard these Senns, but I'd put my money on the Philips SHP9500S, just based on overall reviews from people who've heard both.
So since I strongly recommend the 558's my thoughts as follows:

Bass - They're definitely not Beats. If you like the Beats sound, don't buy these. Most audiophiles consider Beats bass muddy and overly aggressive.

Headphone amp - They are perfectly fine running from your phone or PC. Headphone amp is definitely not required.

Compared to 598's - The 598's are considered to be the better set of cans, but usually, you'll pay more. The sound is a bit more refined and smooth - Outside of a side by side comparison, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. That said, the bass on the 558's is somewhat stronger, so if you want a bit more bass, the 558 > 598.

Gaming - These are stereo headphones, and as a result, you won't usually feel the sounds coming from all directions as you would with a 5.1 or 7.1 set. I don't play a lot of competitive shooters, but I do feel like I can tell where sounds are coming from with these much better than a set of desktop stereo speakers - They seem more inside your head if that makes sense.

Comfort - they are just right for me. The 558 and 598 are the most comfortable headphones I have tried. I have big ears, so this is a factor, and I can't stand on-ears headphones for any length of time as they get uncomfortable quickly. Closed sets tend to make my ears sweat so while more comfortable than on-ear sets, I can't wear them for too long. I have no issue wearing the Senns for extended periods. Just super comfortable.

General thoughts: A few years back I kind of went down the headphones rabbit hole. I get very involved in researching headphones, reading audiophile forums, trying as many sets as I possibly could, and spending a bunch of money chasing that ever elusive ideal sound. In the end, I drove my wife crazy and ultimately realized that the more you spend, you definitely get diminishing returns. If you're a super audiophile and have money to burn, you can really go crazy with this stuff. I had to stop myself. Plus, reading reviews and forum posts will only get you so far, since everyone has different tastes and concerns. I settled on the Senns and don't regret it for a minute. They are definitely more for music than gaming, but they work fine for my needs and well enough for gaming. I use them with a Modmic, and apart from the crazy wires everywhere, I couldn't be happier. If you have the opportunity to try the 558 or 598 somewhere, then try them or buy from somewhere with a good return policy. If they're not for you, that's fine, but they are definitely worth a look, and dismissing them out of hand is really not productive.

New updates to the Razer ZSilver rewards.  On top of redeeming zsilver for razer products they've added Steam games and gift cards to the mix.  With my current points I could get like $25 in Target or Dominos gift cards.  When you combine zsilver with the blue coins you earn on GG and the double discounts, I don't see why people aren't buying games exclusively on GG using ZGold.  

Because GG doesn't have FC5 :whistle2:x

I saw they also put a time limit on the zSilver now.  Expires in a year but that's starting this month so your old zSilver still has a year on it.

Because GG doesn't have FC5 :whistle2:x

I saw they also put a time limit on the zSilver now. Expires in a year but that's starting this month so your old zSilver still has a year on it.
They had FC5 for a time, but with a shitty discount. And yes, all zsilver expires within a year. They also have a limit on the gift cards. One of each. So I got $15 in Target gift cards. Contemplating buying a $10 Dominos one, but probably won't. Maybe just save it and get Rising Storm Vietnam 2 eventually. Redout is there too, but overpriced.

They had FC5 for a time, but with a shitty discount. And yes, all zsilver expires within a year. They also have a limit on the gift cards. One of each. So I got $15 in Target gift cards. Contemplating buying a $10 Dominos one, but probably won't. Maybe just save it and get Rising Storm Vietnam 2 eventually. Redout is there too, but overpriced.
You should compose a spreadsheet and change your name to zGoldFox

A week late for our talk about the cost of video games... but still pretty entertaining. (And on point.)

https://youtu.be/pHSso2vufPM
And as usual, Sterling is on the money.

This kind of mess is simply exactly why us CAG's should just stick to Bundle sites; our huge backlogs; buying base-games on discount; buying Season Passes on discount; and/or buying Complete Ed's much later.

It ain't always easy to try to do so, though.

bread's done
Back