Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Damn, polygon says the new Xcom might be the best value in gaming since the Orange Box. Looks like Fanatical has it for $9 and I have a 5% off coupon but it's not good on preorders. Wonder if it will still be $9 when it releases tomorrow.

Damn, polygon says the new Xcom might be the best value in gaming since the Orange Box. Looks like Fanatical has it for $9 and I have a 5% off coupon but it's not good on preorders. Wonder if it will still be $9 when it releases tomorrow.
ACG just released a review on it also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZF7s5EWVFs

Voyager was was crappier than Enterprise. Enterprise ended up being pretty good.
ActionComicsCvr785.jpg

Me also agree with this statement.

I prefer episodic shows with some kind of larger arc over the season, thus why i prefer Voyager and THG over DSN, Discovery and Picard.  If i want a longer story I'll watch a movie.  It's always why I cant watch Netflix shows or most TV theses days, they are not tv shows just 10 or more hour long movies chopped up.

Well, on Steam the $9.99 price is good until May 1st so I'd imagine this special pricing on other sites holds out until the same day.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy is $13.49 on Gamersgate.  New low.   

Chimera Squad is cheaper on Humble if you are a subscriber, $7.99 maybe?  Something like that.

I haven't seen any of these shows you people are talking about except the Trek shows (minus Discovery) and Dexter - which yes, went to shit with the finale of the Lithgow season, I gave up on the next season and never went back to finish it.  I'd like to see Hell on Wheels and The Wire one of these days but I never find myself willing to commit to watching an entire series.  I'm like 3 seasons behind on The Black List which was one of like four shows I bothered trying to keep up with.

So I was annoyed at someone and threw my hands up in the air in a expression of frustration, forgetting I had my phone in one hand and said phone took flight and then slammed into ceramic tile hard enough to murder it.  You have no idea how much you depend on your cell phone until you break the damn thing.  I just hope I can get it fixed for a reasonable price because screw buying a new one.  Looking at new smartphones (especially the Note 10 since a Note 4 is what I was using and I use the stylus a lot) and the prices are just painful.   On a side note, if you use any authenticators make sure you have security codes or some sort of backup plan because I didn't bother with a few of my accounts and so for the moment a few of my accounts are impossible to use.  

Back on the television watching discussion and continuing to complain that "everything is too expensive," I'd like to pick up a decent 4k TV sometime this year if possible but the price for ones that actually seem like a real upgrade from either the 42" LG LED in my bedroom or the 55" Panasonic plasma in the den are more than I am willing to spend.  I've tried for several of those closeouts at Wal-Mart and various places but never have any luck so a truly amazing deal on one probably is not going to happen.  And the TVs I see that actually impress me are always $2k+ which I just can't get myself to do.  Maybe if I was going for 65" or something but I really don't need it.

I think I'd take the plunge if I saw say a LG OLED55B9PUA B9 or similar TV below 1k, but never see a deal that good.  Am I nuts for thinking it is a straight up waste of money to go from a nice plasma to anything not in the upper tiers of the 4k tvs?  And replacing the bedroom TV, the other problem is that it seems like the really nice looking 4K tvs start at the 55 inch range and that is really too big.  I haven't seen any 40-43 inch tvs that looked that great.   Eh anyway.  I just really want 4k before the PS5 hits and also so I can actually get some good out of all of the 4K movies I have from 4K/BR packs.  

Huh I just made a toaster post.  oh well I'll shut up now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, buying a good 4K HDR television is one of the best investments that you can make.  I tell all of my friends to do that first, before upgrading weird, expensive pc components or buying redundant consoles.  But you get what you pay for; you don't buy some piece of crap Black Friday TV.

There's a nice 48" LG CX OLED coming out this year for the first time and that's going to debut at $1499 so you might  be able to get one for ~$1100-$1200 around thanksgiving.  55" was previously the smallest size you could get in an OLED panel.  Otherwise there's a fantastic deal on the first budget, entry-level 4K HDR TV that I could recommend in last year's TLC 6-series 55" R617 that you can score right now for only $399.  Those sets start at about $599, can have uniformity issues, and/or break easily, but that's the best entry level HDR performance in my mind. 

Don't waste your time with any of the budget sets from the main big brand names.  The Sony 950G for $999 is the best overall value and performance that you can get in 4K LCD televisions right now.   High brightness and excellent color contrast.  But most gamers are going with an LG OLED these days because they are HDMI 2.1 compatible for high refresh rate gaming and their PCs. But new consoles aren't going to be able to push above 4K60fps on any new AAA titles anyways, just like the 2080 Ti doesn't do now.  So I don't believe 2.1 to be much of a deal-breaker unless you're going for high VRR as a PC monitor.  The new 2020 Sony 900H is the other option if you want a HDMI 2.1 compatible device but the brightness (and HDR) is going to be much lower. 

Those are the 3 sets at different pricing tiers that I'd recommend.  There's a high amount of diminishing returns that you get for your money spent after these price points.

• TCL 6-series LCD (last year's 55" @ $399)
  • Sony 950G LCD (55" @ $999)
  • LG CX OLED (55" @ $1799, 48" @ $1499, wait for sales.  Or else get a C9 from last year for $1499)

BluesNews has a nice round-up of the XCOM: CS reviews:

https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=210319

Most range from good-to-great.

For $8-10 (depends on where you buy), seems like a heck of a deal for a day 1 release on a game - especially since it doesn't sound like that short of a game (IGN said it took around 23 hours to get through it); especially for the $.

I think I'd take the plunge if I saw say a LG OLED55B9PUA B9 or similar TV below 1k, but never see a deal that good. Am I nuts for thinking it is a straight up waste of money to go from a nice plasma to anything not in the upper tiers of the 4k tvs? And replacing the bedroom TV, the other problem is that it seems like the really nice looking 4K tvs start at the 55 inch range and that is really too big. I haven't seen any 40-43 inch tvs that looked that great. Eh anyway. I just really want 4k before the PS5 hits and also so I can actually get some good out of all of the 4K movies I have from 4K/BR packs.
I've been happy with my 55" 1080p that about 8 years old now, though I've been eyeing the 65" XBR65X950G for awhile now. I tried to buy it when it was $1100 on BHPhoto or one of those sites, but it wouldn't ship to me. So I've been trying to wait til it's under $1200 again. It's 65", one of the best upscaling, and one of the fastest response times (~45ish ms on game mode).

I've made two great decisions in my life when it comes to electronics and movies/gaming: 1) switching from console to PC and 2) upgrading to a nice 4K TV. My main TV for watching movies is a LG OLED65E8 and late last year I sold off a bunch of junk and bought an OLED55B9 to use as a gaming monitor. All I can say is that those two TVs are my two favorite things in the house other than my fami...oh, who am I kidding. They are my two favorite things in the house.

Oh, and on another note I made some quarantine sacrifices lately and picked up Doom Eternal and RE3 Remake. My initial impression of Doom wasn't too great and I ended up ditching that game for RE3, which totally hooked me. I absolutely loved RE3 from start to finish, which is to say I had a great 5 hours or so. As much as I enjoyed it it kind of left a sour taste when I realized how short it was, especially in light of the fact that it cut some cool sections from the original, so I went back to Doom and wouldn't you know it that game actually does kick ass. Once I unlocked all the weapons and powers I started having a blast. Just finished it about 30 minutes ago and want to play it again.

I tell all of my friends to do that first, before upgrading weird, expensive pc components
RGB USB Coffee Maker? Keyboard massage controls?

I don't watch much TV and the last "prestige" show I followed was Mad Men. Don't say that out of any smugness, since I instead spend my time playing video games and reading dumb shit on the internet rather than creating violin concertos. I just don't notice a show until it's three seasons in and then think "I don't want to take on watching 60 hours of this" and skip it. My wife watches TV but she's also happy watching pirated Chinese cam-videos of first run movies so I think she can live without the finest in 55" 4K HDR.

IMO if all you watch is shows, network/cable TV, or pirate-cam footage then a 4K TV is a nice upgrade but I think you're fine staying with good old HD. But if you're a fan of movies and film I think it's a must. UHD has been a real revelation for me. I never bothered having a collection of physical movies until I saw how good they can look on the format. I stopped buying dog food to help supplement my movie budget and now I own over 400 UHDs. The dogs don't seem to mind eating grass and weeds, and as a nice bonus I don't have to mow anymore.

I never bothered having a collection of physical movies until I saw how good they can look on the format. I stopped buying dog food to help supplement my movie budget and now I own over 400 UHDs.
I have/had a ton of DVDs, a handful of Blu-Rays, and zero 4K discs. I think I'll keep it that way... I just have zero desire to collect another physical media that will be out of date in 10 years. (I just do digital media now.)

I have/had a ton of DVDs, a handful of Blu-Rays, and zero 4K discs. I think I'll keep it that way... I just have zero desire to collect another physical media that will be out of date in 10 years. (I just do digital media now.)
I think it's that way for a lot of folks, and I'm not sure I'd want to dump more money in a new format if I already owned hundreds of DVDs and blurays. I'm just glad I waited since it really is an incredible format and streaming is not my bag. I will say this--if you do start upgrading I highly recommend selling the digital copies that come with the physical UHD. No joke I have made over a thousand dollars selling those things and they practically paid off my entire OLED65E8.

Huh.  I never even thought about trying to sell those.  I have never used a digital movie that came with a physical one, I have let a lot of those codes expire though.  lol

Huh. I never even thought about trying to sell those. I have never used a digital movie that came with a physical one, I have let a lot of those codes expire though. lol
They might still work? I know I bought a few older UHDs that said the code expired in 2018 or something but they still worked. I just let the buyer know I'll send a refund if it doesn't work but so far they all have. Selling codes can be a complicated business though since not all codes redeem in 4K and even if they do it might just be in iTunes or Fandango Now or some shit. Things do seem to be getting more streamlined now, though.

Yeah if you buy some cheap TV you're not going to notice any difference.  People always say "I wasn't that impressed with 4K".  Well it's not about screen resolution its about HDR (high dynamic range).  That's what makes the blacks and whites pop in contrast and gives the screen brilliant color clarity.  If you get a nice set and you use a PS4/XB1, UHD disc player, or stream 4K movies from Netflix, iTunes, or Movies Anywhere, then the noticeable difference in quality is dramatic.  I stream shows straight to my TV's Netflix app in Dolby Vision with my friend's Netflix account.  Though I prefer buying UHD discs bc nothing matches that quality.  Since I bought my TV over two years ago I've been watching wayyy more 4K HDR content and playing far fewer video games.  The video quality is exceptional these days, even over streaming. 

I also never believed in upscaling previously.  It always resulted in what seemed like a marketing sham by the hardware manufacturers.  But a good television also breathes an incredible amount of life into your 1080p and SD content too.  Sports on cable look improved and it handles motion better.   The upscaling is phenomenal on Sony sets.  So regular blu-rays output in even better clarity too. 

I just can't see spending 1200 or more on a tv.  The most I have ever spent is around 400-500 range for my 60+ inch phillips smart tv. 

I'm playing metal gear solid 5, it was in a humble bundle a long ass time ago just got around to it...it's good! I've played MG 2/3/4 and this is easily my favorite one. Gameplay is the best of the series and there hasn't been any 700 hour long cutscenes so far (i know that's a feature of the series and a lot of people like it but it's not for me). Solid, i recommend it if you like stealth

Flawlout 76 update:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1253292802005491715
Ahhh, good old Fallout 76.

The game that keeps on giving (in entertainment to us, with more issues & problems than you can mention)....

...and also now taking too (from players - literally).

I'm playing metal gear solid 5, it was in a humble bundle a long ass time ago just got around to it...it's good! I've played MG 2/3/4 and this is easily my favorite one. Gameplay is the best of the series and there hasn't been any 700 hour long cutscenes so far (i know that's a feature of the series and a lot of people like it but it's not for me). Solid, i recommend it if you like stealth
As much as I wanted to enjoy MGSV, I just couldn't get into it. The core gameplay is damn near impeccable but the open world and Mother Base stuff just wasn't for me. And unfortunately those seemed to be significant parts of the game. Now Ground Zeroes, that was much more my speed: One single, dense, expertly-crafted base to infiltrate and explore with decent replayability. I know it got a lot of shit for being a glorified paid demo but it was legitimately one of the best stealth game experiences I've ever had.

As much as I wanted to enjoy MGSV, I just couldn't get into it. The core gameplay is damn near impeccable but the open world and Mother Base stuff just wasn't for me. And unfortunately those seemed to be significant parts of the game. Now Ground Zeroes, that was much more my speed: One single, dense, expertly-crafted base to infiltrate and explore with decent replayability. I know it got a lot of shit for being a glorified paid demo but it was legitimately one of the best stealth game experiences I've ever had.
The gameplay is great but yeah the mother base stuff is meh and the open world is pretty lame, there's not really much there, just selecting missions out of a menu and then going to the outpost to do the mission. But the gameplay is fun enough that for me it doesn't matter. I'm not a huge stealth fan so i'm not the best arbiter probably but i'd say this is looking like one of my top 5-10 stealth games i've played (thief 1 is still my favorite).

The gameplay is great but yeah the mother base stuff is meh and the open world is pretty lame, there's not really much there, just selecting missions out of a menu and then going to the outpost to do the mission. But the gameplay is fun enough that for me it doesn't matter. I'm not a huge stealth fan so i'm not the best arbiter probably but i'd say this is looking like one of my top 5-10 stealth games i've played (thief 1 is still my favorite).
MGSV is a great stealth game. It’s not a great Metal Gear game. Still dig it for what it is though and honestly, MGS4 was such a good swan song there wasn’t anything else to add to the story.

I just can't see spending 1200 or more on a tv. The most I have ever spent is around 400-500 range for my 60+ inch phillips smart tv.
It all comes down to value and it''s going to be different for everyone. I bought my first 4K OLED just after I had a kid. I knew I wouldn't have as much time for gaming and I knew I'd be home a LOT. It ended up being an incredible investment and it really opened my eyes in terms of what I'd been missing out on with 4K content, and like Nothing said, it brought the older non-4K content I already owned to another level. I mentioned this before, but if you enjoy film at all, it is at least worth looking into. You're finally able to see films at home the way they were meant to be seen and it's pretty great. And my wife doesn't care about it at all so if nothing else I know I'll get all this shit in the divorce.

I will say this--if you do start upgrading I highly recommend selling the digital copies that come with the physical UHD. No joke I have made over a thousand dollars selling those things and they practically paid off my entire OLED65E8.
I've saved even more money... I buy those codes. Cheaper than a movie ticket.

Man, all of this Metal Gear talk.

I would love for PC ports of all the old NES Metal Gears (since they did release all Castlevania & Contra classics) and all of the Metal Gear Solids since MGS1 on PSX.

I really enjoyed Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge on the NES.

Port the rest here to the PC, Konami!

I need to get at MGSV: Definitive PC someday, since I have that...

Imagine liking the bastardized NES versions of Metal Gear instead of the glorious MSX versions.
I didn't have my first real Windows computer until 1995.

Anyways, I'd be fine w/ other versions - especially if they're better - coming to the PC officially with a re-release too. Since Konami packed in other versions of Contra and Castlevania into their Collection; and even SNK put multiple versions of their games (NES, Arcade, etc) in their 40th Anniversary Collection - can't see why Konami also can't do the same.

Historic stuff like the MG series/MGS series should be preserved officially by these companies.

I didn't have my first real Windows computer until 1995.

Anyways, I'd be fine w/ other versions - especially if they're better - coming to the PC officially with a re-release too. Since Konami packed in other versions of Contra and Castlevania into their Collection; and even SNK put multiple versions of their games (NES, Arcade, etc) in their 40th Anniversary Collection - can't see why Konami also can't do the same.

Historic stuff like the MG series/MGS series should be preserved officially by these companies.
That's easy... they'd not do it because they're Konami.

Decided to take a chance on another rogue like card game. This one is Meteorfall: Krumit's Tale still in early access.

I have played a decent amount of this (very addicting) and it's a good one. First of all the graphics are very Adventure Time like and quite nice. The sounds are also excellent and sound very action packed and all. The gameplay is unique where you have a board that I believe is 3x4 that has enemies as well as your own decks items. There are 4 characters that all play differently and get their own unique cards and some powers. You pretty much have to clear out every enemy and after that you move onto the next area. Everything other than the order the cards come out in is very deterministic. If you do 2 damage every turn in battle you will do that. It makes the numbers add up easier though abilities and cards make some of the math a little harder to predict. You can have 4 items on your character at a time that could be weapons, items, potions, armor, abilities, etc... Balancing when you can take out enemies easily or with just some damage is the draw of the game. There are some status ailments in freeze, poison and burn, which can help you out. Frankly it gets hard quickly after a few stages and becomes punishing later. I think a decent problem is in the later stages figuring out how to build yourself up early as all the fights are hard. Every few stages has a boss in it too which are difficult. Another major flaw is that every enemy has a set attack pattern, but in the actual fights I'm not sure if there is a way to check them. In the before you enter an area screen there you can click the enemies and see the attacks, but I'm not sure how to do it when the level starts. This is needed as I said everything is deterministic in battles. Honestly the whole game is very original and very unique. It's super fun and I'm sure will be great when released. It's fully featured already in its early access form. 8/10

Edit: You can get in and back out of a battle you don't want to fight to see the enemies attacks. I would prefer to see them on mouse over or right clicking them or something. A bit cumbersome.

bread's done
Back