Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Just got a message from Steam that the game 'x-note' was removed from my account. I activated it July 9, 2015 (over 6 years ago!!).

After doing some digging on the games discussion forums on Steam, looks like I got the key from the Indiegala - Every Monday #66 bundle. I did a group buy here so I'm guessing some of you may have it as well.

Absolutely crazy that the developer can just revoke keys from a bundle 6 years after the fact. And Steam just...lets it happen? I obviously don't give a shit about this game but that kind of stuff worries me. Mind boggling.
Looks like they revoked keys for X Note and Train of Afterlife from Indie Gala and Fanatical bundles, but Groupees is unaffected. I got both from Groupees bundles

yea, it is, but dont try to bring it up on steam forums and question their motives. I tried once the last time this happened and no rational discussion occurred, just a bunch of fanboys yelling at me telling me I got pwned (I didnt even own the bundle it happened on, just knew plenty who did but they couldn't fathom that someone without a direct horse in the race would actually care that their keys could be revoked by a petulant dev at any time).

IMHO steam needs to just put in a tiny amount of effort in the instance when they get a request to revoke 100+ keys, double check accuracy, reasoning, ask for a little bit of proof, etc.

Of course. I just can't believe Steam allows developers to revoke keys with little or no justification. Seems like a slippery slope to me.
I can believe it. This is what I warned people of, back when Steam launched.

A SSA is a Steam Subscriber Agreement. You are subscriber, not a game owner.

This is what happens...when everybody buys into MMO's & online-only games; client-app systems like this; account-based systems like this; DRM like CEG and Steamworks; proprietary systems like Uplay in which SP-games require servers (hi there, Might and Magic X - are you working again?).

They can take their games back from you because...."Well, just because." [shrug]

Only way you get lucky w/ Steam games (and many others on similar wanna-be services)...well, if the dev's and pub's don't wrap DRM around the game (like Larian and some Indie dev's do) and it works offline & saves that way too.

This is just the start. Wait until connectivity around the world gets "better" and game-streaming becomes a requirement, not an option.

EDIT - Interesting, I actually have this game (X-Note). I don't think I got it from IndieGala, though...unless I'm wrong. And it is still sitting in my account.

Last edited by a moderator:

A SSA is a Steam Subscriber Agreement. You are subscriber, not a game owner.

This is what happens...when everybody buys into MMO's & online-only games; client-app systems like this; account-based systems like this; DRM like CEG and Steamworks; proprietary systems like Uplay in which SP-games require servers (hi there, Might and Magic X - are you working again?).

They can take their games back from you because...."Well, just because." [shrug]

Only way you get lucky w/ Steam games (and many others on similar wanna-be services)...well, if the dev's and pub's don't wrap DRM around the game (like Larian and some Indie dev's do) and it works offline & saves that way too.

This is just the start. Wait until connectivity around the world gets "better" and game-streaming becomes a requirement, not an option.
HA19.gif

"Some day someone might revoke your shitty six year old game you never installed and wouldn't know was gone except for the pop-up"?

I mean, it's a dick move from the publisher and people should feel free to bitch about it. Using it as a warning against Steam in general is a bit overwrought.

Reply to above stuff on revokes, SSA, ownership of games, DRM, etc etc:

Absolutely an awful move by the publisher and/or developer.

If the game had no DRM wrapped-around it in the first place (yes, even on Steam; some games have this - i.e. some Indies and Larian titles; DOS Box games often; etc); no account-based checking stuff; no Steamworks/CEG; and none of that stuff in the first place - we wouldn't be in this spot.

We all - yes, including myself - bought into cheap as heck games and stuff of that sort. Yep, and looks where it's got us; and we still do it, too.

More control for publishers and dev's over their games, that we already spent $ on. Ugh.

It's also not like some 6 years later, the dev's actually took the DRM and online shackles off the games and remove the DRM. If it's got SP-content, they really should; and if a game's been old, bundled, and dirt-cheaped-out a zillion times - yes, they should remove the DRM and/or rework it so it works offline.

If they did do so - well, we'd be in a better spot and still have a working game, even if it ain't updated b/c they decided to revoke keys over some 6-years, turning a game even more so truly into a subscription or rental here.

Disc-based DRM like Securom, Tages, StarForce, Denuvo, etc etc - and also their machine limiting Internet versions; account-based DRM; stuff like Might & Magic X is doing where the single-player game wants to do online checks and some server-side stuff - this is all killing the games we "buy" or "get a license" for, often rendering them useless, at some point.

Though, I'm sure - all these games will get remastered, remade, etc. soon enough; and wind-up re-bundled again anyways. [shrug]

Can't wait for the next inch we give these publishers and dev's - and they just keep on taking it.

Streaming's next, once they get past all of those hurdles. OnLive, Stadia, XCloud, GeForce Now - this is all just the start of it. 

Come on now it has expandable memory.
There's a card-slot and USB 3.1 slot, if they keep it to their specs.

I'd guess, if I actually do buy a Steam Deck, sometime down the line and all - that I probably could grab & plug in my USB 3.0 based Orico HDD/SSD enclosure; and stick any of SATA-based SSD's in there, right?

The dev for train of Afterlife/x note was claiming they didn't get paid by Fanatical (not sure about IG) so they revoked the keys. Why would any sane person wait 6 years to claim they weren't paid? Makes no sense. And why would you revoke the IG keys too? Unless he's claiming that IG didn't pay him either which seems really unlikely

Streaming's next, once they get past all of those hurdles. OnLive, Stadia, XCloud, GeForce Now - this is all just the start of it.
Streaming isn’t next, games as a service is. GamePass is the model for the next stage of gaming consumption, likely combined with microtransactions. By the time streaming comes into its own, it’s just going to be another facet of subscription services.

Has revoking keys that were included in a bundle ever worked out for a developer? Every time I see this happens it always unfolds the same way:

1. Developer revokes keys

2. Community gets mad, review bombs game

3. Developer concedes, asks people to contact them for replacement keys (i.e. unnecessary work for both sides)

------

BTW, did anyone try heading out to a BB this morning for an RTX 3xxx FE card? Lots of stores got a bunch in stock. The one 20+ minutes away from me got stock but I'm betting they're fresh out by now since it's one of only two in Massachusetts to get any.

Is the negative publicity for revoking keys worth it when nobody knows what your game is otherwise?
I never ever knew or remembered anything about this game, until this thread just brought it up w/ the revoking non-sense and shenanigans.

I actually downloaded it too.

I'm about to get back into physical magic cards for the first time in 25 years with a buddy of mine.  Have you guys seen the new D&D Forgotten Realms card set coming out on Friday?? Ho-lee shit.  This tickles me in all the right places.  Should be a fun time to start fresh on a new block.

*queue Ogre nerds .gif*

I'm about to get back into physical magic cards for the first time in 25 years with a buddy of mine. Have you guys seen the new D&D Forgotten Realms card set coming out on Friday?? Ho-lee shit. This tickles me in all the right places. Should be a fun time to start fresh on a new block.
Have fun figuring out what to do with your 7,000 cards in 18 months when you stop playing again! :D

I knew of the expansion from the other side; after umpteen years of 5e D&D getting M:tG inspired source books, they finally went the other direction and injected D&D into M:tG. But I got out of the card game (for a second time) some years ago so it was mainly looking at the card art online and saying "Neat!" for me.

I'm about to get back into physical magic cards for the first time in 25 years with a buddy of mine. Have you guys seen the new D&D Forgotten Realms card set coming out on Friday?? Ho-lee shit. This tickles me in all the right places. Should be a fun time to start fresh on a new block.

*queue Ogre .gif*
I have a friend who’s been into Magic (and D&D) for 15+ years now, and he absolutely hates the way Magic has been handled the past few months. He’s ranted to me twice already about how bad the D&D set is, and he knows I don’t even play Magic, so take that for what it is. His main complaints about it seem to be about how it doesn’t use any of the preexisting mechanics that would make sense for D&D, and how it introduces new mechanics that offer very few options and most of the new cards have to be used with those new mechanics; but again, I’m not a Magic player, so I didn’t absorb a lot of the specifics.

Come on now, you can’t go slamming the Steam Deck and then try to pitch us on D&D magic cards ;-) … think I’ll just play Baldur’s Gate II on my Steam Deck .
The Steam Deck is fine. I waste my money on buying consoles all the time. PC just isn't leading the market in well...anything really, lately. There haven't even been noteworthy Indie games coming out. Most importantly, Valve (and other companies) don't have the best track record when it comes to both launching and supporting new hardware. A few years ago we were talking about the "Steam Box" and having these same types of discussions. The Ouya, Stadia, 1up Arcade cabinets, Intel NUC, and on and on. These things come and go all the time in a heartbeat. I simply don't buy into the hype cycle anymore. Very few companies succeed at making consoles, and the ones that do, do it very competently. Valve is not going to suddenly compete with Nintendo at making a dedicated handheld. They just aren't. Do you know how many 3rd party companies have tried and failed at making controllers? People are going to get Steam Decks and then maybe the thumbsticks suck, just like some buttons did on the Steam controller. Which is why everybody uses Xbox and PS4 controllers for Steam.

Buy whatever you want. I think the Steam Deck looks cool too. But it's more like expending venture capital where you have to expect to be pissing your money away. (just like Magic cards; I'm going to buy one box and see how well I can sell 2-3 expensive singles to subsidize the purchase. That might be the end of it.)

To be fair.. Steam machines (hardware-wise) were never a Valve thing. They never created the hardware, unless you managed to win one of the 300 prototype models. Steam Deck is made by Valve directly so I don't think it's a fair comparison. I think a more fair comparison would be the Index, Steam Controller, or Steam Link

I have a friend who’s been into Magic (and D&D) for 15+ years now, and he absolutely hates the way Magic has been handled the past few months. He’s ranted to me twice already about how bad the D&D set is, and he knows I don’t even play Magic, so take that for what it is. His main complaints about it seem to be about how it doesn’t use any of the preexisting mechanics that would make sense for D&D, and how it introduces new mechanics that offer very few options and most of the new cards have to be used with those new mechanics; but again, I’m not a Magic player, so I didn’t absorb a lot of the specifics.
The big thing is that it's a very weak set, which is problematic for people who play in tournaments because in the most popular tournament format (Standard), it's going to share the environment with some of the most powerful sets they'd printed for that format. Until those other sets rotate out, it's unlikely to see much if any meaningful play.

But that only matters if you're the sort that goes to large tournaments or play at local game stores.
For the people who buy a box to play with their friends around the kitchen table, it'll be just fine, and they'll probably enjoy the crossover if they're also D&D fans.

While I understand the gripes of the entrenched players and the complaints of the D&D fans that it's a decent D&D set but a pretty awful "Forgotten Realms" set, that's listening to the hardest of the hardcore that were all probably going to buy it anyways.

(Dragonlance is better than Forgotten Realms anyways. Fight me, nerds.)

Buy whatever you want. I think the Steam Deck looks cool too. But it's more like expending venture capital where you have to expect to be pissing your money away. (just like Magic cards; I'm going to buy one box and see how well I can sell 2-3 expensive singles to subsidize the purchase. That might be the end of it.)
Not quiet. The major difference between the steam deck and any console before it is that many of us already have libraries that can last us several life times over. When you buy any other console, you almost always have to start fresh with buying games to play.

Not quiet. The major difference between the steam deck and any console before it is that many of us already have libraries that can last us several life times over. When you buy any other console, you almost always have to start fresh with buying games to play.
I agree but on the other hand I don't think anyone's sure of what games will be compatible with it.

I agree but on the other hand I don't think anyone's sure of what games will be compatible with it.
sure we do, its whatever is listed as good on protondb, can run on the specified hardware satisfactorily (which a ~r3 3300+gtx1050 at 720p is quite a large amount of games), and you would want to play in that form factor. The only unknown is how much proton may improve between now and release and if even more titles can bump up their protondb ratings

This post is of no import, just a kind of "huh... wtf?"

Been awhile (several patches, I suppose) since I started up CP2077 and just peeped the cars at a distance...

CPwtf.jpg

bread's done
Back