Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Fakeybro's the shit out of Elite Dangerous: Horizons since I got $500 free last weekend.

Got my hotas/joystick and then played for 2 hours yesterday.  After managing to crash about 10x and really do nothing but training missions...this is the result -.- (so really...I did nothing in about 2 hours)

419270_screenshots_2015-12-16_00001_zpszuqsmeoq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find any particularly good deals, seems weak overall aside from Dying Light which is paypal locked.
Stasis is sort of a deal and supposedly purchasable with just a VPN but you should have bought it from behind GG's iron curtain a week or two ago if you wanted it. Nothing else of any real note to me now that I finally have Dying Light in my pocket.

Maybe I'll get the Talos Principle DLC if I remember later on from home. Which I probably won't.

Gaming media (sigh) needs to give up on the "Prepare to open your wallets for Lord Gaben!" nonsense.  Steam seasonal sales haven't deserved that schtick for a couple cycles now.

If they're not running dailies/flashes this year, it's more like "Prepare to glance over the Steam page at some point during this ten day period" anyway.

It's still decent enough for normal people who don't buy 800 kajillion games, actually play the games they buy, don't scour message boards day and night, use vpns to pretend to be Russian or Brazilian and don't sit F5ing all day to save a few cents on a Humble bundle or watch I Eat P***y videos 100 times so they can wake up at 3am to get games from a $1.49 bundle for free.

It's easy to forget sometimes that we are in a microcosm.

Since this sale is not going to be very good I think I'll just buy a new hard drive so I can download more games that I'll never play. Anyone have suggestions for what brand to go with? I don't need an SSD.

Since this sale is not going to be very good I think I'll just buy a new hard drive so I can download more games that I'll never play. Anyone have suggestions for what brand to go with? I don't need an SSD.
Are there people out there who don't buy Western Digital Black (traditional) hard drives?

Hey guys, Brand X is better in every conceivable way compared to Brand Y, anyone who disagrees with me is a big dumb poopoohead.

I have a WD Caviar Green (I think) that had lasted me four years now. I also just bought a "refurbished" Hitachi Ultrastar I'm using exclusively for games. It only had 13 power cycles but 18k hours in it. For $42 for a 2TB you can't really beat the price, but we'll see if it lasts.

My understanding is that the WD Greens aren't as good for gaming as they tend to "sleep" quickly as a power saving measure (hence the "green") which leads to delays when the game keeps trying to access it.

That said, I've never used one so the difference may be more theoretical than actual.

It's still decent enough for normal people who don't buy 800 kajillion games, actually play the games they buy, don't scour message boards day and night, use vpns to pretend to be Russian or Brazilian and don't sit F5ing all day to save a few cents on a Humble bundle or watch I Eat P***y videos 100 times so they can wake up at 3am to get games from a $1.49 bundle for free.

It's easy to forget sometimes that we are in a microcosm.
I have never watched an I Eat P***y video 100 times. Otherwise, you have summed up my life in a way that makes me depressed.

Those so called "normal people" are just doing it wrong.

Same. I don't twitch, twatter or twerk like the kool kidz. ain't got time fo dat.
Basically, "I'm too old for this shit"?
Which I guess if you're actually old enough to remember Lethal Weapon, you probably are.
(Well, unless you know of it from the Family Guy references- "Just like the bad guy in Lethal Weapon 2, I've got diplomatic immunity, so Hammer you can't sue. Can't touch me!")

My understanding is that the WD Greens aren't as good for gaming as they tend to "sleep" quickly as a power saving measure (hence the "green") which leads to delays when the game keeps trying to access it.

That said, I've never used one so the difference may be more theoretical than actual.
From what I read when researching the Hitachi, you are correct. At the time I bought the WD HDD prices were sky high due to whatever happened in Thailand, so I just went with the cheapest not knowing the difference. I'd be the last person to ask if there's a difference now that I am using the Hitachi as I wouldn't notice it. Newegg Flash had 2TB WD Black refurbished for $35 before Black Friday, but they sold out before I decided to go for one.

I would never buy a refurbished hard drive, though. Too risky. :(
That's why I only use it for games, if it dies I lose nothing I can't redownload. And refurbished is the term they use, but from what I've read used would be more accurate as these tend to be drives pulled from servers, hence the low power cycles and high hours. They get tested and resold.

I hope no one bought the orly xmas bundle.. because it's 50% off now ($1.99)
I wouldn't expect many to buy it even at 50% off.

Are there people out there who don't buy Western Digital Black (traditional) hard drives?
Me. The price premium for the WD Black drives isn't quite worth it. (Assuming you can find an option other than Seagate, that is.) The last drive I bought was a Toshiba.

Im pretty sure my game drive is a WD green cause someone had a good price on 3TB green's at the time. However any power management it might do is easily offset by having an IRST ssd cache drive, ssd speeds for 3TB of games (assuming you've run the game ~3 times first)

Hey Bros,

Does anyone have experience with Jackbox Party 2?  Bundlestars has em on sale again and I want to pick up at least 1 for potential fun over the holidays with family, wondering if 2 is worth it or should I wait?  I know 1 has been as low as $9.99 on BS, but they've run it at $12.49 the last two sales, so I assume that is the new bottom.  They were as low as $7.49 for 1 and $12.49 for 2 on PS+ last week, but that would require to pay for PS+ which I haven't since my sub expired about a year ago.  I think PC might be the best way to go.  They have the bundle with both for $30, but unless someone says 2 is superfun, I might stick with 1 since I Drawful can be hours of fun by itself.  

Foxypie Out!

That's why I only use it for games, if it dies I lose nothing I can't redownload. And refurbished is the term they use, but from what I've read used would be more accurate as these tend to be drives pulled from servers, hence the low power cycles and high hours. They get tested and resold.
That's even worse. MTBF is measured in hours. Buying a used server hard drive that's been used for 17,500 hours is just a bad idea, all around.

Green and Blue drives are fine for install files. Nothing inherently wrong with them. Black do have 5 year warranties though. I choose Black because I have 10+ year old WD Black drives that still work with no errors.

GABEN TAKIN ALL YOURE MONEY stories have a sentimental appeal to me. I would never want to part with them until Steam falls from grace the way Humble and Groupees have done.

Virtue signalling? I thought that's your thing where you write long-ass posts about obscure weeaboo shit nobody cares about aside from a few unwashed basement-dwellers with onahole collections and animu wall scrolls.
First shut up I only have one onahole you can get fuck ed okay?

Second I know your only exposure to nerds is from Big Bang Theory but if you think ranting excessively about minutiae that the vast majority never even thinks about is signaling virtue, then no wonder you think your ITS 2015 meme man is somehow more qualified or whatever fake country you live in.

Hey Bros,

Does anyone have experience with Jackbox Party 2? Bundlestars has em on sale again and I want to pick up at least 1 for potential fun over the holidays with family, wondering if 2 is worth it or should I wait? I know 1 has been as low as $9.99 on BS, but they've run it at $12.49 the last two sales, so I assume that is the new bottom. They were as low as $7.49 for 1 and $12.49 for 2 on PS+ last week, but that would require to pay for PS+ which I haven't since my sub expired about a year ago. I think PC might be the best way to go. They have the bundle with both for $30, but unless someone says 2 is superfun, I might stick with 1 since I Drawful can be hours of fun by itself.

Foxypie Out!
i wouldnt waste any money on it. its mildly amusing for 10 minutes then, meh. I played it in a browser once, maybe because someone had a copy. Find some sucker to buy it, play it once and move on the other stuff.

blah blah is Jackbox 2 fun
I would say no, that sticking to the first Jackbox party is enough. There must be hundreds of hours of playtime between all the games in the first one, if you're one of those "normal" people who "plays" games. That's more than enough YDKJ. No need for the second one at $17.51/$20 more.

Oh, and if you ever thought Groupees chat was bad, make sure you never visit the IG's Trades tab. Witnessed some dumbass kid named ssjason begging for GTA V, then some non-native English speaker said the kid was VAC banned for trading cheap keys, and he was kicked and banned from chat instead of the beggar scum kid. All trades are [H] Bad Rats [W] Valve Complete Pack type of shit, and chat is like zso in the trade cesspool x100.

That's even worse. MTBF is measured in hours. Buying a used server hard drive that's been used for 17,500 hours is just a bad idea, all around.

Green and Blue drives are fine for install files. Nothing inherently wrong with them. Black do have 5 year warranties though. I choose Black because I have 10+ year old WD Black drives that still work with no errors.
Well, it really depends on how you look at it. While exaggerated, MTBFs for most HDD companies tend to be super high so it wouldn't really matter if it had 1 hour or 20k if they claim the MTBF is a million hours.

I'd rather have a drive that's been running fine for five years than one that failed within a year and was repaired. That said, I don't think most companies actual repair faulty drives.

You just gave an example of a high quality drive lasting you over 10 years. WD Black and HGST are basically the top of the line, so the relatively low gamble is paying a fraction of the price for one of those drives that already has 5 years on it and hoping it's one that will last 10+.

When I looked at the price and reviews for the cheapest new 2TB, it seemed to be just as risky a proposition.

Well, it really depends on how you look at it. While exaggerated, MTBFs for most HDD companies tend to be super high so it wouldn't really matter if it had 1 hour or 20k if they claim the MTBF is a million hours.

I'd rather have a drive that's been running fine for five years than one that failed within a year and was repaired. That said, I don't think most companies actual repair faulty drives.

You just gave an example of a high quality drive lasting you over 10 years. WD Black and HGST are basically the top of the line, so the relatively low gamble is paying a fraction of the price for one of those drives that already has 5 years on it and hoping it's one that will last 10+.

When I looked at the price and reviews for the cheapest new 2TB, it seemed to be just as risky a proposition.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/putting-hard-drive-reliability-to-the-test-shows-not-all-disks-are-equal/

Here's a good read for you.

tl;dr: Servers speed up failure rates, used WD are probably a safe bet, Seagate really sucks.

Grabbed Talos Principle and Gehenna dlc for ~$8.30 off Nuuvem, not too shabby.
What dark sorcery is this? Gehenna is telling me unavailable in my country. Does... Does this mean VPNing Nuuvem works again? Did they remove the Paypal address check? Are the Not-As-Good-As-The-Russian-Good-Times-But-Still-Better-Times-Than-The-Now-Times here again?

What dark sorcery is this? Gehenna is telling me unavailable in my country. Does... Does this mean VPNing Nuuvem works again? Did they remove the Paypal address check? Are the Not-As-Good-As-The-Russian-Good-Times-But-Still-Better-Times-Than-The-Now-Times here again?
VPNing works for some games/dlc, but requires both VPN + paypal check on others. It's a crapshoot and you have to test it out yourself or rely on others to test it for you.

VPNing works for some games/dlc, but requires both VPN + paypal check on others. It's a crapshoot and you have to test it out yourself or rely on others to test it for you.
I'll be damned, didn't realize they half-assed it. Guess I'll scoop up Gehenna and see if Sheltered can slip by too.

Edit: Sheltered worked. That's nice, was interested in that at $5 but not $15. Unfortunately the new Europa Universalis 4 DLC was locked, buddy of mine tried that.

bread's done
Back