Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Well duh, of course sales on his $2 game are going to drop right before the Steam Summer sale. I'm sure they've dropped on every single game that's not on sale.

Couldn't care less about these two-hour 'game' 'developers' who poop out crap to sustain their meager existence. If your game is no longer than two hours and has no replay value you deserve to be broke.
You leave "small indies" like Valve alone, you bully!

Portal was a great game! ;)

mk2qm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called The Crotchety Effect. In the same way that tragedy sells better than happiness, Mooby and Brut hating everything is more agreeable than MysterD liking everything.

Hmm from the console threads of all places Watch Dogs PC is apparently $5.99 at Best Buy.

Boxed Retail and Uplay key of course, but still I'm kind of tempted.

considering that even when buying steam version of watch dogs that you have to still go through uplay, yes it is a good deal. (most CAGs have already broke down and logged onto uplay i.e. FarCry 3 or 4)

personally I am waiting for the base game plus season pass to be around $7.5-$10.

The base is $40 on Steam right now so even if it went 75% off, and that's iffy with Ubi's Steam sales lately, that would still only be $10. I would think it would be extremely unlikely to go below 75% off on the Steam sale or really any sale at a digital store.

Not to sound mean, but I'm not sure Valve cares that much about 2 dollar game developers. After all, these are the guys who often toss their games in bundles dirt cheap over and over again. All that does is increase the infrastructure costs of Steam while giving back nothing to Valve.

They are probably willing to lose quite a few 2 dollar developers if they can get refunds to make people more likely to try out 40 to 60 dollar games. After all, Valve's slice of 60 bucks is way bigger than some 2 to 5 dollar purchase.
Valve simply just doesn't care about anything. They actually lose more money from AAA studios selling their games on 3rd party sites than indie game bundles. The amount of money they make from indie studios would be equivalent to AAA studios due to volume. Steamspy.com would give you some insight on the scale of indie games to AAA games ratios.

Also Dead Pixels doesn't even have cards so why bother:

TWJGAIl.png

phZKSyn.png

Hmm from the console threads of all places Watch Dogs PC is apparently $5.99 at Best Buy.

I'm tempted but I have nearly zero interest in playing this game. I'll just wait another year or two until it's a good price on steam.

Overall, I think refunds will help the quality of games.  If you're one of those people who slap any piece of junk on steam and sucker people out of money, you're going to do one of two things.

1.  Stop making games completely

2.  make better games

I don't know how the Dead Pixels Dev has any room to gripe anyway.  They've bundled that game 4 times and sold it for as low as 74 cents.  I'm pretty sure most people who wanted that game have it by now.

Okay but here's the thing. Say it is the refunds. That means you have a good chunk of people who were not happy with your product and felt it to be quite unsatisfactory.

I think the amount of people using this to essentially rent short indie games is being greatly overblown. That's a lot of trouble to go through for something that would be quite frankly easier to pirate. You're not getting a +1 out of it and you'd risk being looked at as a repeat offender and abuser of the system in the long term and could potentially have action taken against your account. Most people aren't going to do that for some sub two hour indie game. Even for those whose morals are fine with using returns to rent a game they could still just get it on bittorrent with far less fuss.

So that leaves people who were genuinely dissatisfied with the game. Unless you're a scam artist trying to pawn stuff off on people that they feel is subpar and laugh all the way to the bank with their money then a reputable developer wouldn't want someone not satisfied with their game to buy it and keep it anyhow. They won't have a good opinion of that developer or the transaction and they won't want to buy from them again. There's also a good chance they'd be more likely to tell that negative impression to others if they felt they wasted money and it left a bad taste in their mouth.

I'm sorry that these indies got to use the former all sales final policy as a shield for putting out half ass product but just because it's always been done that way in the past doesn't mean it's right.

Ultimately these developers are making games FOR their customers and if a good chunk of them are returning the product then they really need to take a long hard look at their game and what they can do to improve it, not just cry victimization by Valve.

Overall, I think refunds will help the quality of games. If you're one of those people who slap any piece of junk on steam and sucker people out of money, you're going to do one of two things.

1. Stop making games completely

2. make better games

3. Bitch and moan

4. Bundle, bundle, bundle!

I don't know how the Dead Pixels Dev has any room to gripe anyway. They've bundled that game 4 times and sold it for as low as 74 cents. I'm pretty sure most people who wanted that game have it by now.
Personally, If I were a indie game developer living in my parents' basement, I'd go with option 3. Maybe even 4, but then back to 3.

I'm not arguing for or against the refund system. If the system is being abused all it would do is force indie devs to sell their games off-site and supply Steam keys to bypass the refund system. The only real flaw I see is it provides no feedback to the developer on where they need to improve. I posted the Dead Pixels image to show that it just wasn't to farm the cards and return the game.

It's easily worth that $6, IMHO.

Story + character development isn't that good, especially since it's often predictable + cliched. Aiden's just not likeable, has cliche problems, & is too generic - i.e. he suffers from Connor AC3 syndrome.

Anytime they have a chance to possibly do something w/ the themes + issues raised in the story, they seem to even not do anything or much w/ it; or they entirely screw it up somehow.

But, the gameplay being a mix of GTA games + stealth games (if you choose to play stealthy) + hacking stuff is TONS of fun. I certainly had a blast w/ that stuff.

Anything else good & newer on PC that's on sale at BB?

EDIT:

PC Gamers can always take this route and look at BB from low to high:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=pc%20games&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=25&sp=+currentprice%20skuidsaas&qp=category_facet%3DPC%20Gaming~abcat0712000%5Esoldby_facet%3DSold%20By~Best%20Buy&list=n&iht=y&usc=All%20Categories&ks=960&keys=keys&seeAll=

I shudder at the thought of how much time it took to tediously list all of those cards.
Last time had a bunch of cards (and that was at most a page), from saving them to sell just before the winter sale, found out how terrible an idea that is to make a few extra cents. Pretty sure took at least an hour. $17 worth? Would probably quit at the dollar mark ><. Basically long way to say in agreement in shuddering at the thought of how long it'd take to list $17 worth of cards O_O.

For all you Blizzard fans...

Blizzard sale at BB:

http://deals.bestbuy.com/?category=video+games3

PC -> StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (base-game) = $10

PC -> StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (expansion) = $10.

PC -> Diablo III (base-game) = $20 **

PC -> Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (expansion) = $20. **

** PC version of D3 + RoS requires currently an internet connection to BNet's servers at all times.

Consoles -> Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (D3 base + RoS expansion package) -- XB1 or PS4 = $30.

Consoles -> Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (D3 base + RoS expansion package) -- X360 or PS3 = $20.

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/607511628024823808

It's the developer edition, but I think it's worth to check it.

Last time had a bunch of cards (and that was at most a page), from saving them to sell just before the winter sale, found out how terrible an idea that is to make a few extra cents. Pretty sure took at least an hour. $17 worth? Would probably quit at the dollar mark ><. Basically long way to say in agreement in shuddering at the thought of how long it'd take to list $17 worth of cards O_O.
Chrome, steam inventory helper. Few clicks, go have lunch, come back, all of inventory now on market.

F8dSSsb.png

https://twitter.com/qwiboo/status/607273637935071232

twitter.com/qwiboo/status/607273637935071232

Seems legit.

I ended up going for Watch Dogs $6 @ BB. By the way the in-store pick availability (to save shipping) was a little better on their Ebay listing than on the site for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191583176686

The second nearest store did not have it available for store pickup on the Best Buy site but it did on their Ebay listing.

The Season Pass as been as low as $3.50 on Nuuvem in the past and there's some people saying Uplay keys for it for $5 on Ebay.

I've pretty much given up fussing over getting UPlay games on Steam. I mean all things being equal I would probably still prefer Steam just to have it all in one place (and yes I know it still uses Uplay) but the Ubi sales at Steam take forever to go cheap. We're talking years and years. I've already got several Ubi games on Uplay only and I just don't care enough about having them on Steam to wait that long.

"Rate of refunds before refunds were allowed was minimal".  Nice data collection there, Indie Dev.

I have no problem getting Uplay games.  Like you said, waiting for them to go on a real sale via Steam can take forever, vs getting them via other merchants or physical copies and activating them.  I have enough stuff on Uplay now that I don't know if I'd even bother with the Steam version if the game was the same sale price on both.

Anyway, I liked Watch Dogs.  I think a lot of people had some hype-train idea that it would be the Second Coming of Video Games and you had the people mad that they couldn't run graphic effects that I couldn't run anyway.  Take away those complaints and I found the game fun.  None of the characters were anything to fall in love with but the missions were fun, the game played well both stealth and not-stealth and cruising around downtown Chicago was enjoyable for a local kid.  Certainly six bucks worth of good times.

Thought I had won CSGO in a Steamgifts giveaway, but it turns out it was created by some wiseguy who thought creating a giveaway meant he was the one getting the game.

I also went ahead and got Watch Dogs from Best Buy.  It also helps that I get free shipping from Bestbuy and that GCU took $1.20 off. It really adds up over all these clearance pc games. I'm glad thats one console thing thats still useful. 

I'm slightly jelly of that extra $1.20 but not pay $30 to join some "Game Club" that I will otherwise never use jelly.

I'm fine with the in store pickup. It's like 10 miles away. I originally thought to maybe do the $35 or more free shipping but I'd have to get other crap in boxes for that price so 10 mile drive it is.

Oh and I did submit a 'Tell us about a lower price' on Amazon last night before I went to bed since I do have Prime and will get a $5 GC from Bing soon-ish, but it still isn't matched and someone went ahead and posted the deal on Reddit so I'm worried it will sell out.

I also went ahead and got Watch Dogs from Best Buy. It also helps that I get free shipping from Bestbuy and that GCU took $1.20 off. It really adds up over all these clearance pc games. I'm glad thats one console thing thats still useful.
I remember in the good old days, before Steam really took off - I'd be in Best Buy almost every week or every other week, picking up something...whether it was a new music CD or retail-box PC game.

Then PC digital download store-fronts came and totally killed PC sections of stores like BB + GameStop.

I've pretty much given up fussing over getting UPlay games on Steam. I mean all things being equal I would probably still prefer Steam just to have it all in one place (and yes I know it still uses Uplay) but the Ubi sales at Steam take forever to go cheap. We're talking years and years. I've already got several Ubi games on Uplay only and I just don't care enough about having them on Steam to wait that long.
Updating Uplay games via Uplay is a pain in the ass.

I made a mistake of buying anno 2070 complete via uplay. God damn.. it took 30 min to apply patch after patch (why the fuck can't Ubisuck give us a new installer)?

At least for Assassin Creed I got on Steam and lauch via Uplay, the patching process is handled by Steam and was very smooth. Just download and play!!

I remember in the good old days, before Steam really took off - I'd be in Best Buy almost every week or every other week, picking up something...whether it was a new music CD or retail-box PC game.

Then PC digital download store-fronts came and totally killed PC sections of stores like BB + GameStop.
Before NewEgg, Amazon, etc you could actually buy computer components at Best Buy. Now they have two video cards, one light-up "Extreme!" gaming keyboard, a couple mice and a single 120mm off-brand case fan.

Yeah their DIY section is about as sad as the PC games section these days. For those who have a Fry's around they are still pretty good for DIY computer builds and parts and such. I usually use Newegg but every once in a while I really need a part that I don't feel like waiting on so I go to Fry's.

Future Shop and Best Buy always sucked for anything PC gaming related. One Future Shop employee told me years ago that PC gaming was dying, when I was trying to trade away my Xbox 360 games during my transition to PC gaming. I wonder if he would make that same statement today.

Before NewEgg, Amazon, etc you could actually buy computer components at Best Buy. Now they have two video cards, one light-up "Extreme!" gaming keyboard, a couple mice and a single 120mm off-brand case fan.
Yep. I remember back when I hardware from them.

I specifically remember buying a 64 MB GeForce MX 400 from BB - way cheaper than anyone else at the time. A cheap + necessary upgrade, at that time.

Future Shop and Best Buy always sucked for anything PC gaming related. One Future Shop employee told me years ago that PC gaming was dying, when I was trying to trade away my Xbox 360 games during my transition to PC gaming. I wonder if he would make that same statement today.
Probably. Not using discs in a box = dead to them.

Little do they know they'll eventually be forced to go digital too. They're just grabbing onto their boxes kicking and screaming to delay the process.

For all you Blizzard fans...

Blizzard sale at BB:

http://deals.bestbuy.com/?category=video+games3

PC -> StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (base-game) = $10

PC -> StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (expansion) = $10.

PC -> Diablo III (base-game) = $20 **

PC -> Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (expansion) = $20. **

** PC version of D3 + RoS requires currently an internet connection to BNet's servers at all times.

Consoles -> Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (D3 base + RoS expansion package) -- XB1 or PS4 = $30.

Consoles -> Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (D3 base + RoS expansion package) -- X360 or PS3 = $20.
Thanks!

Now I'll get my wife and kids to grind out a level 100 in WoW so I can get that Heroes of the Storm mount. :D/

Yeah their DIY section is about as sad as the PC games section these days. For those who have a Fry's around they are still pretty good for DIY computer builds and parts and such. I usually use Newegg but every once in a while I really need a part that I don't feel like waiting on so I go to Fry's.
Fry's sometimes has decent prices but Bestbuy's prices on GPUs are terrible. 750 Tis are $199 at mine. Don't buy anything that's available in-store. GPUs that are available for shipping-only have OK prices but do not come with any of the game bonuses if they're not physical cards included in the box. So don't buy GPUs from BB unless you have credit.

Ending 6/9
Up to 85% off Blackguards games
Up to 80% off Darksiders games and DLC
75% off Tom Clancy games and DLC
Up to 75% off Total War games and DCL

Prices listed do not take into account any available voucher.
Promo: Play Indie - Buy any of the below titles and get the Indie Focus Bundle ($2.00 if bought separately) [customspoiler=Includes]
  • Stealth Bastard Deluxe
  • Gentlemen!
  • Air Guardians
  • Nihilumbra
  • FootLOL
  • Gun Monkeys
  • The Nightmare Cooperative
  • Guns of Icarus Online
[/customspoiler]
24 Hour Bundles
80% off Action Platforming - $10.96
Up to 75% off RollerCoaster Tycoon - $8.97

I'm sure that Steam refunds are a horrible idea. There are only two types of Steam users: people who can afford games and buy them, and high school leeches who will exploit the system and get refunds on everything.

Remember when Valve let you craft coal into games, and one person got the entire Steam library with over 200,000 screenshots and was banned soon after? Then Humble Bundle stopped giving Steam keys for purchases under a buck? Yeah. Valve ideas always get worse.

bread's done
Back