Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
What pizza is so bad that no one would ever eat it?
I've had plenty of terrible pizza. Usually it's consistently burnt or tasteless. It's typically from shitty one-off locations since it's hard to take completely awful pizza to national franchise levels. If you want to go coast to coast, you need consistent mediocrity.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm sure this will get me kicked out of the computer builders' club, but I have a Cooler Master Hyper Evo something or other rotting in a box at home that my wife probably paid $80-odd for. When I took my i5 CPU out of the box and mounted it to the motherboard and looked at the stock cooler, I said to myself, "Okay, that seems easy enough." Then I got the Cooler Master out, looked at the size of it, compared it to the motherboard and stock cooler, read where it warned you to avoid cracking your motherboard by mounting it incorrectly, put all of that sh*t back in the box, and put the fan/heat sink that came with my CPU on the motherboard and never looked back. I haven't had any problems yet (except for the "I wasted $80 on a cooler I will probably never use" problem).

For the record, I don't even remember putting any kind of fan or heat sink on the CPU in the last computer I built 25 years ago. Maybe there was a small fan, but I don't remember that being the case. Then again, it was 25 years ago.

My wife and I occasionally got Domino's instead of Papa John's or Little Caesar's. It's better than LC but not as good as PJ. But they do have good chicken wings if you're in the mood for pizza joint chicken wings. For what it's worth, I've never been convinced that anybody's "50% off regular price" deals are better than "get x topping pizza for x.99" deals; regular menu prices are usually comically-overinflated.
I know what you mean. I am scared of those CPU cooler things. The last time I built a PC it was like pulling teeth; it took a massive amount of weight and pressure in order to get that thing to snap on. I was worried about the motherboard cracking.

next time i'm going with a liquid cooling setup, fans suck
word.

Speaking of PC cases, might I suggest putting one of those old pizza boxes to good use?

MGjewfX.jpg
w5Z9HnH.jpg

MmVIWWw.png
vlpF6Nm.jpg

I was looking at PC cases yesterday at microcenter too.  It's like fuck I really want one of those $189.99 ones with the swinging magnet doors and then I can get one of those RGB color watercoolers, and omg stack of 3 rgb colored case fans for $119.99 god fuck what I am doing??

There's maybe three tiers of pizza. Terrible stuff you'll never eat, cheap shit you'll eat and good stuff. Dominos, Pizza Hut and the other national chains all fall under "cheap shit you'll eat" and pretending that there's any significant difference between them is silly. You've already committed to a mediocre pizza experience for the sake of cost so just accept it for what it is.
the weird thing is, the pizza hut here is actually pretty good. the local pizza places are way worse, so it's the best alternative in addition to being much cheaper. I've never had anything from Domino's or PJs or whatever else, though, because if I'm somewhere out of town I'm not going to just go to a different pizza chain.

I've definitely had better pizza than this PH, but not good enough to justify how much more it cost.

also the best period for The Hut was when they actually had more flavors. I hate that they scaled them back, I loved salami/spinach on crushed tomato sauce with the spicy ginger crust and balsamic drizzle. Now they only have like 3 crust flavors, no drizzles, and they put the spinach on BEFORE cooking the pizza even if you tell them not to (which is fuckin gross, cooked spinach is nasty).

so now I just get chicken/bacon on one side, pork/meatball on the other side, barbecue sauce pizzas. maximize the topping variety.

Speaking of that, if anybody wants ass pizza for cheap Domino's has 50% off this week.
Horrible deal unless you want pan pizza or a brooklyn XL. EDIT: or you get a ton of toppings.

They always have a national deal that is $7.99 for a large 3 topping. Normal price for 3 topping large at my local Dominos is $15.50. That makes the $7.99 deal almost 50% off all the time.

Domino's is the perfect name for that pizza, since getting it even once acts like a domino effect in the decline of your tastes. Get Domino's once and you'll be eating Totino's out of a trucker's fly in a gas station bathroom stall before you know it.
Are you following me...

Their new crust has way to much garlic, and their old sauce tasted better. I'm probably the only one that liked the old formula (or else why would they change it) but they should switch it back anyways.
You can request no garlic topping.

The secret is to buy one good case and then keep reusing it forever. USB 2.0 is overrated and today's cases usually don't even have a Turbo button.
This is what I did.

Got a lian li case (its one of the ones that copies the g5 powermacs) like 12 years ago and I'll probably never get another. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of ports built into the case, but I have six empty 5.25 drive bays that I could add a thingy to add more usb3s and extsats and stuff if I cared about that stuff.

Got a lian li case like 12 years ago and I'll probably never get another. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of ports built into the case, but I have six empty 5.25 drive bays that I could add a thingy to add more usb3s and extsats and stuff if I cared about that stuff.
I still have this bad boy hanging around my house with no plans to toss it.

This is mine.  I do not like the side fan, I do not use the stuff on top and a window in a case that isn't designed to hide cables and the like is just ugly.  I'd be fine with one with no window or a fancy RGB-crazy one with good cable management but I am sick of this one.  When I got this case I was looking for a full tower and this one was on clearance for like 50% off or something which is why I bought it in the first place.

I love my G-Sync on my SC15 gaming laptop.

So, does anyone here have a G-Sync monitor tied to their desktop PC? If yes - what model? Brand? Refresh rate? The whole works.

Been looking around for something with 2560x1440p with some kind of crazy refresh rate of 120hz (or better).

I bought one of these for a bit more space and USB 3.  Haven't gotten around to moving my components into it yet.

Replacing this classic, which should still see use for secondary and test systems.

Before that Three Hundred I had an Antec Super Lanboy .  It was a bit obnoxious.  Also really cramped and a real pain to work in.

Monster Hunter World is coming to Steam on August 9th.

:whee:
Wow! I wasn't expecting this before November.

Yeah and you need an intel processor from 2014 or later by the min. system requirements.
I don't expect much from this port, so PS4 is always an option. It will probably always have a larger playerbase on PS4 anyway, and there's no crossplay on PC (another very bad sign for the quality of this port). Sales have been plummeting (along with Capcom's share prices), so I suspect heavy price cuts on console as well.

Hopefully they release a free weekend (or at least the demo they released on console) so people can test out how it runs on their systems.

Westboro Baptist Church, nice.  Great job picking that name. 

just google "westboro" for more details on that game.  or don't.

I bought one of these for a bit more space and USB 3. Haven't gotten around to moving my components into it yet.

Replacing this classic, which should still see use for secondary and test systems.

Before that Three Hundred I had an Antec Super Lanboy . It was a bit obnoxious. Also really cramped and a real pain to work in.
You wanted something bigger, so you got a black cock hawk?

Such a size queen.

Re: Cases, I got a Define R5 a couple years ago. It's as close to perfect as I could find: Affordable (~$90 at the time), clean aesthetics, good sound dampening, great cable management, easily removable filters. Highly recommend the Define series.

Re: Cases, I got a Define R5 a couple years ago. It's as close to perfect as I could find: Affordable (~$90 at the time), clean aesthetics, good sound dampening, great cable management, easily removable filters. Highly recommend the Define series.
You and I have a somewhat different definition of affordable. I spent less than $20.

You and I have a somewhat different definition of affordable. I spent less than $20.
To me at least, $90 feels pretty affordable when it's something you know you'll be using for the next decade or so (that's how long my P180 lasted, so I'm planning on the same for this one).

To me at least, $90 feels pretty affordable when it's something you know you'll be using for the next decade or so (that's how long my P180 lasted, so I'm planning on the same for this one).
Spent more on the Three Hundred, but still less than half of that $90 and it's done fine for eight years or so now. I don't think longevity is something I'm concerned about for cases. Build quality, air flow, ease to work with, and aesthetics all seem to have more range of values.

(And by all means that R5 looks to be great in all those areas. While the Blackhawk I picked up isn't obnoxious, it is not as clean looking as the R5. I sacrificed a bit on aesthetics and likely some on build quality as well. But, well, $18 is little enough to be nothing in terms of a PC budget. I could spend more than that on a single case fan.)

So I'm sure this will get me kicked out of the computer builders' club, but I have a Cooler Master Hyper Evo something or other rotting in a box at home that my wife probably paid $80-odd for. When I took my i5 CPU out of the box and mounted it to the motherboard and looked at the stock cooler, I said to myself, "Okay, that seems easy enough." Then I got the Cooler Master out, looked at the size of it, compared it to the motherboard and stock cooler, read where it warned you to avoid cracking your motherboard by mounting it incorrectly, put all of that sh*t back in the box, and put the fan/heat sink that came with my CPU on the motherboard and never looked back. I
Stock coolers at stock clock speeds is fine. I've built close to a hundred PCs in my life and have never done more than stock. Never an issue.

I bought one of these for a bit more space and USB 3. Haven't gotten around to moving my components into it yet.

Before that Three Hundred I had an Antec Super Lanboy . It was a bit obnoxious. Also really cramped and a real pain to work in.
the antec super lanboy was the greatest case ever made. i was going to have it buried with me when I died. Alas vid cards are just too damn big now and lan parties have died. It was a sad day when I had to mothball mine

Stock coolers at stock clock speeds is fine. I've built close to a hundred PCs in my life and have never done more than stock. Never an issue.
Well, you know what I always say: overclocking is for people who know what they're doing.

I always say that, like at least five times a day. People in the supermarket give me funny looks and my coworkers are convinced that there's something new wrong with me.

the antec super lanboy was the greatest case ever made. i was going to have it buried with me when I died. Alas vid cards are just too damn big now and lan parties have died. It was a sad day when I had to mothball mine
I wasn't at all fond of the thing by the time I stopped using it. Difficult to get hands and fingers positioned to do anything; the drive cages had loosened; limited space for fitting a GPU. I was happy to move on. (I never did lan parties with it. It was always just on my desk.)

I do miss the drawer, though.

The problem with PC cases older than say 2010 on average is that they have sub par cooling. When cases started going to 120mm and 140mm fans, noise levels got a lot better with far better air flow (and then dust filters). Stock cpu fans are fine, I went to them for several years after gettting tired of dealing with non stock setups. But after 1-2 years, you'll be cleaning out that stock fan due to dust and new games pushing the cpu more or living with its high fan speed noise.

When I did my last build, I used this one.

The main feature I was looking for was ease of cleaning dust, since my last case collected it like a vacuum.  This one has an air filter on the front, so I can just pop the cover off, vacuum the filter, and I'm done.

Part of me wants to go with something like this just because of the possibilities.  But then, that would require thought and effort to do something nice with it so..

Part of me wants to go with something like this just because of the possibilities. But then, that would require thought and effort to do something nice with it so..
Aye, there's the rub.

I've considered doing my living room PC in some sort of wall-mounted box with acrylic sides and smartly designed RGB lighting. That would be a lot of work, though.

I have this case in my build.  I like it and it has air filter underneath the power supply.  Don't like the color but I made a deal with a electronics store that wanted me to work a weekend so got this, 980ti video card and mobo for $400 about 3-4 years ago or so.  

The problem with PC cases older than say 2010 on average is that they have sub par cooling.
I just accept it as given that any stock case fans are garbage and should be replaced anyway. My old case has a lot of room for 120s plus a couple 140s though if you get old enough (and certainly into Beige Box territory) then yeah the case just doesn't have enough places to mount stuff or holes to move air through.

I wasn't at all fond of the thing by the time I stopped using it. Difficult to get hands and fingers positioned to do anything; the drive cages had loosened; limited space for fitting a GPU. I was happy to move on. (I never did lan parties with it. It was always just on my desk.)

I do miss the drawer, though.
i traveled with my case 2 to 3 times a month for 5 or 6 years. How the hell did your drive cages get F'ed up? I had one of those super big air coolers in mine too. Wedged 2x 4890's in that case, blu ray drive, multiple hard drives. Do not soil the Antec Lanboy name with your wingnuttery. You owned some other case.

I have this sexy beast for my case now

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119212

I live about 30 mins from coolermasters usa warehouse. They do user focus groups and usually feed your face and kick down a free case or something for your time. Ive got a fort of full tower cases.
My case looks like that, except it's all black and there's no dumbass dragon image on the side glass. It's great and I've had it for almost a decade now, if my school learn'n ain't failed me.

I don't know anything about computer gaming. How is my laptop for it?

7th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5

7th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
Good enough...for gaming on a laptop like a pleb.

The processor and memory are fine. The 1050 is about as low as you can go for new modern gaming but should work for you at 1080 resolution and a willingness to turn graphic settings down as required.

16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
Should be doing quite well w/ the i7 7700 HQ and 16GB DDR4 2400mhz RAM. I also have these parts on my laptop - all good stuff. Though, I have a 1060 6GB on mine.

SSD's are great for quick boot times on OS's. Pretty much, press the button and it's already on. Very fast. Love them.

For you on the 1050 4GB: expect some gaming at 1080p @ 30fps or better (depends per game).

Look at the benchmark section for how decent your card is, on some actual games:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Notebook.178614.0.html

IMHO, you did just fine. Solid stuff.

Should be doing quite well w/ the i7 7700 HQ and 16GB DDR4 2400mhz RAM. I also have these parts on my laptop - all good stuff. Though, I have a 1060 6GB on mine.

SSD's are great for quick boot times on OS's. Pretty much, press the button and it's already on. Very fast. Love them.

For you on the 1050 4GB: expect some gaming at 1080p @ 30fps or better (depends per game).

Look at the benchmark section for how decent your card is, on some actual games:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Notebook.178614.0.html

IMHO, you did just fine. Solid stuff.
Yas, thank you, I didn't buy this laptop for gaming but might check some out now that I know it's good. I probably will be dealing more with indie games than blockbusters so sounds like it'll handle them just fine.

bread's done
Back