Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Oddly, I think that makes Colonial Marines more memorable to me than if the game actually worked correctly... and at the right price a memorable buggy-mess might just be worth that $1 or $2 more than a merely competent piece of forgettable bundle fodder.
I see Aliens CM: Collection is $3 on Fanatical over here.

Granted, I do have the base-game only - but are there actually any worthwhile DLC's here?

I don't think MS has a history of putting Play Anywhere titles on Steam. I suspect that's not something they're likely to start doing, either. After all, they really want to drive people through the Windows Store, I mean, Microsoft Store (?!), so it's not smart marketing to take their own studio titles and sell them on other platforms. (Yes, Halo Wars 1 is on Steam, but it's sufficiently old that they probably don't care very much.)
I would guess something great for M$ that does blockbuster sales like say Forza series, main Halo games, Gears of War, and those blockbusters would likely never get on Steam.

Has Killer Instinct (new version) ever done well for M$? I mean, that just seems like something M$ would be like "Well, it didn't sell so hot on our store - so let's try to salvage something and get it onto Steam."

I really am not sure if M$ would have those kind of thoughts about Undead Labs w/ their State of Decay 2, that maybe they could put it on Steam to get more sales, even if they own the studio now.

Honestly, I hate how the Windows 10 Store works; with making it hard to manipulate their files and folders. Every other service is easier than the M$ Store to deal with for reinstalling games/moving folders/etc etc. I would love for more of their games to wind-up on Steam, TBH - even though it probably ain't that likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice that someone found a typo that partially fixes the alien AI but Colonial Marines has a whole lot more problems than just buggy AI from the critters.  It's a boring mediocre shooter with outdated graphics and (even at the time) lame effects and a completely asinine plot that's so bad that, despite supposedly being canon, other Aliens properties refuse to acknowledge.  There's really no reason to recommend it to anyone.

About the same. Had the basic set (and the expert set) then went on to 1e AD&D but never really got into 2e before I stopped. However, a year or two ago I got an itch to play again and picked up the 5e Player's Handbook and joined a few campaigns. Some stuff seems like an abomination (race/class homogenization) but I overall found it fun to play and easy to catch up. Ultimately you're pretending to be an elf in a cave either way so the mechanical framework isn't that important provided everyone understands and agrees to it.

I belong to a Facebook group of 1e/2e players and a lot of guys are genuinely mad at the idea that D&D should be more accessible or -- horrors! -- popular. "If I had to get punched in the stomach and my books thrown in the creek, why don't they??" I guess that their outcast status was all they were holding on to that made them special. Gamers (all styles) are the worst.
Yeah, I was starting on a long diatribe about the versions of D&D blah blah blah, but it's my birthday today and I'm getting too old for this shit. And life's too short to care one way or another. If you're having fun playing 3rd or 4th edition, you're doing it right. If you hate playing 1st or 5th, you're doing it wrong.

So, long story short, we got the band back together, started playing OSR(old school rules, 1st Ed AD&D modified) for a few years, I then took a 4 year break and started the game back up again with 5e. I like 5e but I also like AD&D for different reasons. I also have game system OCD and try to find the perfect system that will never exist.

Since I'm only one session in on 5e, I'm at a crossroads: do I go back to OSR /AD&D and pick up the old game that people fondly remember, warts and all? Or do I run the 1-20 5e campaign coming out this Sept from wizards? There could be worse decisions to have to make... But it drives my perfectionism crazy.

To sum up: just get together with friends and play something, that's the most important thing of all.

5th edition is awesome.  It's everything D&D needed to be since Pathfinder took over for many years and no one even played the game anymore.  D&D is back on top again now and rightfully so. 

I belong to a Facebook group of 1e/2e players and a lot of guys are genuinely mad at the idea that D&D should be more accessible or -- horrors! -- popular. "If I had to get punched in the stomach and my books thrown in the creek, why don't they??" I guess that their outcast status was all they were holding on to that made them special. Gamers (all styles) are the worst.
I think people like things that make them different/"better than" other people.

Like, if I were a mechanic, I wouldn't want everyone to suddenly start being able to fix their own cars. Or if I were an artist/designer, I wouldn't want everyone being able to draw and be creative.

I'm sure a part of the grey beards' irritation is they're no longer looked up to by the new guys without a ton of obscure rules and restrictions for them to know by heart.

It's a little pathetic that their knowledge of old D&D was all that made them different. Like the football player that peaked in high school by winning the area championship game but then knocked up his girlfriend and got stuck working a no skill, dead end job.

I like 5e but I also like AD&D for different reasons. I also have game system OCD and try to find the perfect system that will never exist.

Since I'm only one session in on 5e, I'm at a crossroads: do I go back to OSR /AD&D and pick up the old game that people fondly remember, warts and all?
I'm the same in that I still love 1e and would happily play it again. But it's hard to find old players and few new people want to take on learning a whole ton of rules from books that have been out of print for twenty-five years. Plus my local game shop, which is a great place, really prefers that people using their rooms for gaming to play stuff that they carry. Which makes sense since a new guy excited about 5e can drop $150 there but someone playing 1e/2e is just going to hit eBay (or download old PDFs). So it's a 5e world but I don't mind too much.

Happy birthday, by the way. Buy yourself some cheap dice from AliExpress and they'll get here in time for your next birthday.

I think people like things that make them different/"better than" other people.

Like, if I were a mechanic, I wouldn't want everyone to suddenly start being able to fix their own cars. Or if I were an artist/designer, I wouldn't want everyone being able to draw and be creative.
You're right. Sad part about it that they could put that energy into being an excellent DM/Player in 5e and be "better" that way instead of clinging to Saving Throw matrices from 1979 and obnoxious weapon speed rules.

You're right. Sad part about it that they could put that energy into being an excellent DM/Player in 5e and be "better" that way instead of clinging to Saving Throw matrices from 1979 and obnoxious weapon speed rules.
Yeah, but the new version doesn't have nostalgia.

You can smell it over the stench of Code Red and Extreme Doritos coming from your Overwatch shirt and RGB keyboard?

Yeah, but the new version doesn't have nostalgia.
Into-The-Borderlands%E2%80%93Cover.jpg

I'm the same in that I still love 1e and would happily play it again. But it's hard to find old players and few new people want to take on learning a whole ton of rules from books that have been out of print for twenty-five years. Plus my local game shop, which is a great place, really prefers that people using their rooms for gaming to play stuff that they carry. Which makes sense since a new guy excited about 5e can drop $150 there but someone playing 1e/2e is just going to hit eBay (or download old PDFs). So it's a 5e world but I don't mind too much.
First edition has been back in print for a while now. Second edition, too.

Yeah, but not at my local game store it's not.  I'm pretty sure DriveThruRPG prints to order rather than distributes.

3e is always going to be my favorite. It was where I cut my teeth, and the sheer volume of content is absurd. Even after nearly ten years, Pathfinder is only probably just starting to catch up (just as they're moving on to their second edition, at that), and 4e never got the same love (and it's pretty unlikely 5e will, either). I also honestly like how fiddly it is, though I've never actually played a game that was completely RAW fiddly, and I'm not really sure I know anybody who would enjoy doing so.

But my main reason for being a 3e enthusiast is just how flexible the system really is. It's mostly thanks to how much content was produced for it, but with sufficient system mastery (an admittedly absurd task in and of itself), you can make pretty nearly any permutation of any concept you can come up with with relatively minimal refluffing.

Whether it'll be particularly well balanced against the rest of the players in your party is another matter.

Yeah, but not at my local game store it's not. I'm pretty sure DriveThruRPG prints to order rather than distributes.
Many gamers have moved away from physical copies though, at least as far as actually using the material for playing a game. The nice hard covers are meant to look pretty on the coffee table.

Many gamers have moved away from physical copies though, at least as far as actually using the material for playing a game. The nice hard covers are meant to look pretty on the coffee table.
That hasn't really been my experience but it doesn't affect the fact that my local store still prefers to use their rooms for hosting games that they carry and can sell to players. I doubt that "Yeah, but they wouldn't buy your garbage anyway because they're all going digital" will be a winning argument :D

Has anyone done the tabletop for Cyberpunk and Vampire The Masquerade?
I played V:tM back in its first edition when it was the original White Wolf. It was pretty fun. I also owned all the Wraith: The Oblivion books but only ten people in the world actually bothered to play a game. No Cyberpunk but I did play Shadowrun.

That hasn't really been my experience but it doesn't affect the fact that my local store still prefers to use their rooms for hosting games that they carry and can sell to players. I doubt that "Yeah, but they wouldn't buy your garbage anyway because they're all going digital" will be a winning argument :D
People buy books, sure. They just don't carry them around. I haven't been involved in an RPG game for over a decade, but I'm at stores where they are going on all the time. People might bring one or two physical books with for creative sessions and use a laptop or tablet for the rest.

(So yes, if someone does want a physical copy of the most used couple of books then 1e and 2e are a bit more difficult.)

Looking for a laptop deal, this may not be the right thread for it, can spend 1000$ or so, maybe something on prime day? Anyone have a suggestion? I have a decent pc gaming rig but want something portable as I travel sometimes and want to take my steam games with me( can I even have my steam account on more than o e device?)

Haven't played it in ages but sure, I liked it when I played it. Not sure if it's still in print or if they revised the rules, etc.
I seem to recall a new edition either recently printed or being printed soon. Though the way things run together I suppose I could be remembering information a good 10 years old as recently.

Looking for a laptop deal, this may not be the right thread for it, can spend 1000$ or so, maybe something on prime day? Anyone have a suggestion? I have a decent pc gaming rig but want something portable as I travel sometimes and want to take my steam games with me( can I even have my steam account on more than o e device?)
I have the SC15, which costed me $1000 on sale:

https://www.evga.com/articles/01113/evga-sc15-g-sync-gaming-laptop/

It normally goes for $1900.

Hopefully, EVGA has a sale on that again; they've done it a few times in last few months.

i7 7700; 16 GB RAM; 6GB 1060 GB (mobile); 120hz @ 1080p 15.6" monitor w/ G-Sync; Thunderbolt 3; W10 64-bit; DisplayPort & HDMI ports; USB 3 ports; 256 SSD (main) & 1TB 5400 HDD (2nd drive); etc.

This thing's incredible. There's nothing like running games at 120fps @ 120hz w/ G-Sync, taking hits down to say 90fps and never feeling it (b/c framerate is so fast) & G-Sync making sure there's no tearing. Smooth as can be.

Running games like Prey 2017 and GR: Wildlands - eh, not a problem. Runs & looks great.

If you can find this or anything close or better than this for $1000 - grab it.

People buy books, sure. They just don't carry them around. I haven't been involved in an RPG game for over a decade, but I'm at stores where they are going on all the time. People might bring one or two physical books with for creative sessions and use a laptop or tablet for the rest.
I'm not disputing your experience, just saying it hasn't been mine. I've been in a few 5e campaigns over the last year or two and people still bring and reference their physical copies of the PHB, Xanathar's GtE, etc. Reaction to Wizard's digital versions of the books was pretty unenthusiastic since you were paying physical book prices but just getting the digital.

People might be relying on digital copies for 1e/2e stuff since it's cheaper and easier than finding an original Unearthed Arcana not being held together with tape and binder clips but my 5e games still rely on the books and even spell cards.

And can I have my steam on more than one device?
You can install Steam on infinite devices but I believe only one can be playing a game at a time.

That Acer Predator was Tom's Hardware pick for best gaming laptop at its price point. Linus Tech Tips had good things to say as well. The main thing the SC15 offers that it doesn't is the G-Sync screen that MysterD creams over but you can likely live without for the price increase and fact that you're gaming on a 15" screen. Note that the only storage is a 256gb SSD so you'll need to invest in a larger SSD or a standard laptop HD before long.

The Dell Inspiron 7577 and the new G series are also good at this range. The downside of g-sync is the poor battery life, because of no Nvidia Optimus. Now would be a good time to check out deals on 7700HQ machines, which sellers are looking to clear out and replace with hexacore 8th gen cpu revisions. However, my main complaint with these type of laptops is that they do tend to have very garish "gamer" aesthetics and meh build quality. The XPS line and the Razer Blade series have really put me off on ever again buying these types of machines. At least the gaming lines of various manufacturers have began toning down on the red accents. And for a pure gaming machine, definitely go 1060 at the very least, given the massive performance bump over the 1050 TI.

Sc15? Thx I’ll keep my eyes out.

This acre predator on amazon has very close specs for 1050$, hopefully less tomorrow

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=lp_8588812011_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1531162660&sr=1-2

If it’s like 900$ or so tomorrow I’ll definitely bite. Or is there something better? And can I have my steam on more than one device?
Yep, I have Steam on numerous devices. You can run Steam program itself numerous devices, if you like. You will have to verify your account and Steam set-up for every PC you put it on, of course.

You just can't run games on multiple PC's at the same exact time. One game running at once period w/ Steam.

About that Acer Helios PC - If you do grab it, make sure you get a 2.5'' 1TB HDD (or more) to put some games on; since there is an empty slot for it. 256GB SSD is gonna eat some space quick, if you're putting games on there; especially if you have newer or modern games that can range in the 49GB (WWE 2K18 PC) to 120GB range (Gears 4 PC).

Sounds like that PC is at 60hz from the QA section. If you're cool w/ 60hz, go for it if the price is right to you.

1060 6GB mobile card is a monster for a laptop card; just look at the benchies:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Laptop-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169547.0.html

That's a M.2 style SSD stick.

Does your laptop have an open M.2 slot?

EDIT:

And jeebus 120 gigs for one game?
Yeah. Gears of War 4 PC version eats some space, for sure.

Must be a lot of uncompressed textures & audio for 4K support here.

Yeah I played
Has anyone done the tabletop for Cyberpunk and Vampire The Masquerade?
I have played both R.Talsorian's Cyberpunk 2020 and also White Wolf's Vampire, first edition. I don't remember much about cyberpunk, other than the more Hardware your character had embedded the more likely you go insane. In regards to vampire, I really liked the dice pool system, but other than that the vibe seemed slightly on the pretentious/too-serious side of things,imo

I wasn't a fan of Shadowrun due to the " you've got science fiction in my fantasy", yet strangely enough, I have fond memories of playing in the Expedition to the barrier Peaks module for AD&D
Haven't played it in ages but sure, I liked it when I played it. Not sure if it's still in print or if they revised the rules, etc.

I don’t have a laptop but am probably getting the acer from amazon which I believe has an empty m2 slot

I have the Helios in my cart and am waiting for prime day

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
I just saw that in the reviews, someone mentioned a M2 slot is there.

So, yeah - that's cool. :)

Looks like you'll be off the races and all.

Any idea what the price for the Helios laptop and M2 500GB SSD on Prime Day might be?

The 500 gig ssd are on the list of discounted prime day sale items, the laptop isn’t as far as I can tell. I’m trying to figure out which ssd I should get, to make sure it’s compatible, the one I listed is compatible, right?

The 500 gig ssd are on the list of discounted prime day sale items, the laptop isn’t as far as I can tell. I’m trying to figure out which ssd I should get, to make sure it’s compatible, the one I listed is compatible, right?
It should.

The M2 slot should be all you need, as that SSD is M2-based.

EDIT:

Actually as far as I can tell the laptop may get a discount as well
Oh, that could work out well for you. :)

Well the 500 gig ssd cards from Samsung are normally about 200$, I’m hoping for a $150 sale, that would be awesome. The laptop I’d probably still buy at full price because i would give it a lot of use. If it drops to 900$ to 950 I’d be very happy.

It gives a sneak peek in the amazon app, and it says something like “check out these Samsung ssd that will be on sale tomorrow”. I can check the sneak peak for laptops and the Helios does show up but not sure if I’m searching correctly?

Edit is there a prime day thread on here?

Bunch of role-playing geeks and D&D nerds up in this piece... I can smell the dampness of your mommas' basements through my monitor.
Basements? Parents? These days I see people playing at one of the local game cafes taking advantage of no one needing to deal with hosting.

bread's done
Back