Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
It's not an argument; it's a preference. I understand the way things are, and why things are the way they are.

But I would prefer to have more things like this:
A Wall of Text draws near. You gain a preemptive strike!

Companies are perfectly capable of activating a permanent digital key for you as well, if you were to buy and install from a physical edition. They just don't. Because they suck. It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing scenario like it is with ancient, broken-install CD-ROM discs, or Steam codes in a box. Just look at blu-rays and 4K UHD discs for example. Almost all of them include a digital code for a copy of the movie. Publishers are essentially giving out a second copy of the movie for free. People can sell them, trade them, or give them to a friend. It's not a problem, it's not lost revenue, and it's not killing their business. They are selling many more discs than they normally would be because it's a better service. The same could be said for PC video games if publishers did a better job. Just look at all of our buying habits. You know that it's true. Sales on new releases are low because the value proposition for customers simply isn't there. AAA publishers could find a way to get you both a hard copy and a digital copy of their games if they wanted to.

AAA PC game publishers give the least amount of effort, both they and their customers have chosen the path of least resistance (towards selling and buying new games), and customers put up with it. Nearly everything is 'games-as-a-service' now. Meanwhile day1 game purchases have their value depreciate and evaporate faster than ever, making the value proposition for the customers go up in a cloud of smoke. Poof. Look at Destiny2. It has zero value. Activision gave it away for free and they bundled it. Half of people who spent $60 on the game are not pleased. They are also less likely to buy another game like that in the future.

You know it sucks. That's why you, and me, we all buy full priced PC games maybe once a year. And then you feel compelled to also have to justify the reasoning to yourself and to other people.

Sure, ok, the argument is pointless. So is buying brand new PC games. So round and round we go until developers get pennies on the dollar because the only way they can sell their games is through dollar store digital bundling.
Your Wall of Text is eaten by a grue?

I'm missing the allusions here. Anyway, I don't think the movies and games analogy works all that well either. For the most part, I'd rather just have a digital copy of a movie in a library than accumulate a bunch of DVDs and Blu-rays that I'll probably not look at more than once. Having the digital copy in addition to a disc may be considered a "bonus" for some buyers, but some people are like me--they're just not that interested in physical media. (Sidebar: IMO, this is the only thing that physical media are good for--commentaries. Once technology advances to the extent that these digital stores find clever ways to compress these data to make it pretty easy to stream a movie or TV show episode+commentary that will pretty much be the last nail in the coffin of discs.)

I'll concede that it's possible that some people would buy more boxed copies if there were extra digital copies inside of game packages, but look at the point I made about piracy earlier. There is zero chance that publishers would view that kind of scenario as a win-win.

Look, you've got your viewpoint and I have mine; I doubt we're going to change each other's minds. I just disagree. Destiny 2 had some level of value for the people who purchased it, played it, and enjoyed it before it was bundled or given away. When I buy a AAA game at near-retail price, I don't feel like I have to justify that because it goes on sale six months later at 50% off retail. I bought it then because I wanted to play it then. If I wanted to wait, obviously I could have. For what it's worth, that scenario of publishers selling for pennies on the dollar, well, that's not going to happen. They'll quit making PC games before they go bankrupt doing it.

I view the collector's edition thing like the before mentioned "whales" in F2P games. Take game, add another $6 worth of low grade metal keychains, tin cases and plastic "resin" statues and sell it for an extra $70 to a certain narrow segment of your clientele. I have too much crap in my house as it is.
I get that too. Lots of folks feel that way and I respect that. I have a lot of crap around my house too. But I only collect a few things, so I allow myself certain indulgences.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's just a choice between $200ish for an AMD 580 or $400ish for a 1070ti. This BF I don't see any other good values price/performance-wise.
Let me know what you find/decide on, those are about the same cards I am looking at as well. Been putting it off since whenever I upgrade one part I tend to get too caught up in it all and end up upgrading everything.

Let me know what you find/decide on, those are about the same cards I am looking at as well. Been putting it off since whenever I upgrade one part I tend to get too caught up in it all and end up upgrading everything.
I think I'm leaning to the zotac 1070ti at newegg. 380 plus I wanted to monster hunter anyhow

That sounds like a great idea to pitch MangaGamer, only they'd replace "front desk" with "gamut of my relative's genitals" and "Amsterdam" with "Republic of Prolapsing Anus."
You do realize MangaGamer doesn't make games, right? I mean, I get the joke you're making and all, it just doesn't really work if you don't reference an actual developer.

If you bought via IG Twinkly 12 bundle the game Urban War Defense; you may get a notification from Steam that you key has been revoked.  

You do realize MangaGamer doesn't make games, right? I mean, I get the joke you're making and all, it just doesn't really work if you don't reference an actual developer.
It absolutely works, you all got the reference. I'm not going to say "sounds like a great idea to pitch to [random developer] and then have MangaGamer publish it" and then make the joke, that's superfluous information. I also don't know that much about creepy hentai incest rape sex games to even convey the joke as accurately as you want it, other than "MangaGamer releases some fucked up games."

Sorry (not sorry) if that offends you as a weeb/pervert/manga from your avatar.

It absolutely works, you all got the reference. I'm not going to say "sounds like a great idea to pitch to [random developer] and then have MangaGamer publish it" and then make the joke, that's superfluous information. I also don't know that much about creepy hentai incest rape sex games to even convey the joke as accurately as you want it, other than "MangaGamer releases some fucked up games."

Sorry (not sorry) if that offends you as a weeb/pervert/manga from your avatar.
Look, MangaGamer is just a company that licenses and translates stuff from Nipland. All I'm saying is that suggesting a game idea to a company like that is sort of like suggesting new legislation to a judge. It may be a joke, but it doesn't make sense if you stop and think about it for half a second. Structurally speaking, that's not really how good jokes work.

If you bought via IG Twinkly 12 bundle the game Urban War Defense; you may get a notification from Steam that you key has been revoked.
Dev revoked all the Groupees BAGB 7 keys too. Claims IG didn't pay him (though I fail to see why that burden should rest with the end consumer)

Steam really needs to hold revocation requests to a higher standard.

Also... who ever thought we'd see the day when Groupees was more legit than IG? :booty:

The IG bundle was in August 2017 and I think groupees before that.  My point is that we had the game in inventory for over a year.  From my perspective, Steam should give a Dev a time frame to act i.e. 30 days or such.  I just do not believe most people or companies would wait 15 months to say we did not get paid so revoke every key sold through a bundle.  

Dev revoked all the Groupees BAGB 7 keys too. Claims IG didn't pay him (though I fail to see why that burden should rest with the end consumer)

Also... who ever thought we'd see the day when Groupees was more legit than IG? :booty:
So BOTH bundle sites didn't pay him? Sounds like FAKE NEWS people!

Sounds like the dev is lying. Maybe he's not happy about current sales and he's blaming bundle sites/gray market or something. Doesn't make any sense to revoke keys over a year after the bundle went live. 2-3 months I can believe, but not a year.

I'm sure everyone that got their key revoked will immediately buy a fresh copy from steam for full price because they can't go a day without playing that awesome game!

The dev has a bulletproof plan to get extra money for the holidays!

Look, MangaGamer is just a company that licenses and translates stuff from Nipland. All I'm saying is that suggesting a game idea to a company like that is sort of like suggesting new legislation to a judge. It may be a joke, but it doesn't make sense if you stop and think about it for half a second. Structurally speaking, that's not really how good jokes work.
And nobody technically MAKES games, they simply assemble assets into a game format.

I'm not the one being pretentious here, dude. Only you care about critiquing that joke.

That game looks pretty bad. Like maybe someone (a developer and not a publisher) assembled a few asset packages into a game. Only downside to losing it is the card drops.

I own this monitor and really like it.
Yep. I own the HP Omen and they are basically the same thing. They have the same panel and the similar performance metrics. They are both pretty much the best value in g-sync monitors in 2018 at only $350 each when compared to the other g-sync options.

My Best Buy had a whole palette of these Dell monitors a few days ago. It's going to be a really hot Black Friday item this year.

I know some people think "TN = ewww" but the HP Omen and the Dell have been rate well and the specs are worth the money.  I just cannot justify buying another monitor right now as I have one that works and a backup even though neither have G-Sync or 144Hz.  

I'm guessing that's an in store price? 'Cause website says $599
Need to be Elite (early BF prices)

I have this monitor and it's amazing; took forever to calibrate it properly though since you need to get an ICC profile that is to your liking since every monitor is different...in the end though it looks like an IPS

Need to be Elite (early BF prices)
Ah.

My thought process went like this:

Huh. Maybe

Nope, says $599

Maybe in-store price?

Eh, I'm not going out of the house to find out

Dell has it on sale this Friday for $399

But that's $50 more than it could have been

Screw it, I don't care any more.

Money saved!

Just delivered last night from FedEx and Newegg:

20181118-135434.jpg

I've got everything I need now except for the case. 

20181118-135520.jpg

Hoping for a good sale at the NZXT or Corsair webstores this week.  I'm looking at the NZXT white H700 or the Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB if either gets a substantial discount. 

Oh, no! Whatever will I do??? (clutches pearls}.... A triple-A game lost.... Right? I mean Urban War Defense is up their with Call of Duty and Ghost Recon...

I know some people think "TN = ewww" but the HP Omen and the Dell have been rate well and the specs are worth the money. I just cannot justify buying another monitor right now as I have one that works and a backup even though neither have G-Sync or 144Hz.
IMHO, TN is just fine.

IPS just looks fantastic; that's all.

For me, give me high framerates and G-Sync and I'm good to go. Nothing like butter smooth framerates, no input lag, no stutters, no hitches, no graphical tears.

Ah.

My thought process went like this:

Huh. Maybe

Nope, says $599

Maybe in-store price?

Eh, I'm not going out of the house to find out

Dell has it on sale this Friday for $399

But that's $50 more than it could have been

Screw it, I don't care any more.

Money saved!
I do the exact thing with games.

Ex-wife got the fridge in the divorce. New house that I bought I have my own room for an office though. Maybe I'll get a smart mini fridge for in here.
Oh, wow @ the divorce. Sorry to hear things didn't work out b/t y'all.

"Bleh" @ you not having that awesome fridge of a system anymore.

With Black Friday and X-Mas around the corner - any plans soon for a new fridge or that mini-fridge?

I don't mind paying $20ish more for a more reputable brand like MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, or Sapphire. Unless there's some surprise deal on Vega's I think I'm pretty much set on a 580 unless 1070 TI's dip to $350. I sort of view this as a stop-gap card period while we wait on the next series after 20X0 and maybe for AMD to catch up a bit.

The premium for an as-of-now limited technology in RTX is too much to pay.

I don't mind paying $20ish more for a more reputable brand like MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, or Sapphire. Unless there's some surprise deal on Vega's I think I'm pretty much set on a 580 unless 1070 TI's dip to $350. I sort of view this as a stop-gap card period while we wait on the next series after 20X0 and maybe for AMD to catch up a bit.

The premium for an as-of-now limited technology in RTX is too much to pay.
Limited when it fails and has to get RMA'd, too.

Glorious Nippon source code, compiled one thousand times?

Good jokes don't always need to be thoughtful. In fact, when you're rapid firing out stuff towards the middle of the set it's ok to have some ones that don't stand up to thorough analysis, especially if they're just there to help establish the bigger premise and set up the big callback punchline at the end of the set.

MysterD and Warreni already logged walls of text this weekend. Don't make me go write a thesis on comedy writing and performance.

It's an EVGA Supernova NEX650G. That's a 650 watt gold series PSU, a line from a few years ago that was discontinued, I believe. Got it on a good deal on an EVGA store Ebay flash sale for only 50 bucks.

I found a similar, cheap flash sale just now while looking for the listing. 650w G2 80+gold fully modualar $58.49.
Modular power supplies are nice. My current one is and its a first would problem eliminator if I've ever seen one!

(I also vote for the Rubbermaid case.)

Anyone who wants a 1070 Ti should've just gotten one last month when Amazon had them for $280 on a Sunday morning at 4 AM. Now you're stuck paying $100 more because you choose to sleep at normal hours.

bread's done
Back