Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
At last Dirt Rally is free. Wonder when the same will happen to Grid Autosport?

With all of these Epic freebies, my Barter.vg blacklist grows larger. Exception would be if the Steam version of said game offers some major benefit over the Epic Games Store version. Decent odds of some past Humble Monthly headliners making an appearance later eg. Kingdom Come, Hellblade, Slay the Spire, Surviving Mars  Chances probably higher if the game is on game pass already.

Hamble: "Here's a new bundle. Inside is in the $10 tier."

Epic: "Or just get Inside for free on our store."

Hamble: "Well, here's Dirt Rally for free."

Epic: ?

Digital game store competition is BACK, baby.

So if I drink it, I have to give it back?
You dont "buy" Surge, you only 'rent' it! (I love Surge BTW.)

So I'll use this as a jump off for something that's been nagging at me. I'm itching to build a new system (though I'll probably hold off till be know more about the PS5 et al. to decide if I want faster IPC or 'moar corez!'). But something keeps popping up everywhere I look and that is people shunning the stock coolers in view of better aftermarket ones (air or liquid) to get more out of their systems. I kinda understand this as a mid-rig-life upgrade, but if you're doing it at the time of initial purchase, why not just put that towards a better chip?

I understand that I am spoiled being near 3 (!) Micro Centers, so chip prices are lower, but I cant see the benefit of spending, say $20 on a cheap air cooler to overclock a Ryzen 2600 when that same $20 would get you a 2600X with similar performance out the box. Or worse, spending $80 on a liquid cooler for a R 2600, when that same cash could net you a 2700X and not have to worry about the 'silicon lottery.' Am I missing something? Or is my use case (in a noisy house, with 3 kids, tower tucked away and unseen) clouding me from the other benefits?

I'm not morally opposed to overclocking or aftermarket cooling. My FX8320E is sitting OCed to 4.45GHz on a ubiquitous Hyper 212 Evo (which inst even that quiet, but I digress). But given the choices, would the bros rather go for aftermarket and overclock or better chip on stock? T.I.A.

You dont "buy" Surge, you only 'rent' it! (I love Surge BTW.)

So I'll use this as a jump off for something that's been nagging at me. I'm itching to build a new system (though I'll probably hold off till be know more about the PS5 et al. to decide if I want faster IPC or 'moar corez!'). But something keeps popping up everywhere I look and that is people shunning the stock coolers in view of better aftermarket ones (air or liquid) to get more out of their systems. I kinda understand this as a mid-rig-life upgrade, but if you're doing it at the time of initial purchase, why not just put that towards a better chip?

I understand that I am spoiled being near 3 (!) Micro Centers, so chip prices are lower, but I cant see the benefit of spending, say $20 on a cheap air cooler to overclock a Ryzen 2600 when that same $20 would get you a 2600X with similar performance out the box. Or worse, spending $80 on a liquid cooler for a R 2600, when that same cash could net you a 2700X and not have to worry about the 'silicon lottery.' Am I missing something? Or is my use case (in a noisy house, with 3 kids, tower tucked away and unseen) clouding me from the other benefits?

I'm not morally opposed to overclocking or aftermarket cooling. My FX8320E is sitting OCed to 4.45GHz on a ubiquitous Hyper 212 Evo (which inst even that quiet, but I digress). But given the choices, would the bros rather go for aftermarket and overclock or better chip on stock? T.I.A.
I think alot of the goes back to the old conventional wisdom that stock coolers suck and any real pc builder uses after market. That's changed in recent years. I'm using the Wraith cooler that came with my Ryzen chip and it's a great cooler. Not sure about Intel stock coolers. I know some Ryzen chips don't come with a cooler at all.

I think alot of the goes back to the old conventional wisdom that stock coolers suck and any real pc builder uses after market. That's changed in recent years. I'm using the Wraith cooler that came with my Ryzen chip and it's a great cooler. Not sure about Intel stock coolers. I know some Ryzen chips don't come with a cooler at all.
^

From what Ive heard the ryzen wraiths are pretty adequate as a stock cooler. Intel on the other hand if you are buying an unlocked chip dont even come with coolers, and even if they do intel's stock coolers are pretty bad

Which is why I bought a giant honking $40 Cryorig H7 plus air cooler for my PC when I built it in November. (Intel processors don't come with coolers.)

There are many ways of looking at this. But the main view is the simple one; PCs are all about customization, and people choose to go with AIOs because they are low-noise and aesthetically pleasing. You're right, that money would be better used on a more expensive processor once it reaches a substantial amount. But you still have to get something to cool your CPU. If you want to do overclocking then you have to go with something that performs well. I've got my i5 at 4.8 GHz for example. An 8-core cpu will get much hotter at OCs and you need something beefier than a stock air cooler. Ryzens don't have that kind of OC'ing so they don't require much cooling. (Though reports are that the new ones run really hot just like the 9900K.) People get sick of their fans spooling up and down all the time and making a lot of noise. These days a lot of people buy AIOs just for the colorful RGB pump.

There are many reasons why people go with water cooling but it's done mostly because it's considered a mature build process that is also aesthetically pleasing. Plenty of other people swear by air coolers and move a Noctua D15 into everything they use. But only the best air coolers keep temps just as low as an AIO.

That's one way that Ryzen also has Intel beat for value; they come with an air cooler. But they don't perform very well either. If you are going to replace them with anything else than that additional value isn't there. For someone doing a cheap 6-core build then it's great, but that CPU also only comes with the 4th rated Wraith cooler so meh. There's a different one inside each step up in the Ryzen lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding stock coolers, what used to come with a $200 or so dual core intel cpu in 2007 isn't even used on a 2015 Haswell i7. Hell a cheap 2010 celeron came with a bigger heatsink than what comes with the standard i5/i7 chips in the past 3-4 years let alone the i3 pure aluminum heatsinks.

AMD has had better stock HSF's for years but much of that was because they needed them to keep cool. The newer Ryzen2 and 3 chips have better stock HSF than Intel does on their non K stuff. The K chips don't even come with a HSF anymore.

It should be noted that Homeworld 3 is being "published" by Gearbox Software, who is also looking for crowdsourced funding for the game through Fig.  LOL

It should be noted that Homeworld 3 is being "published" by Gearbox Software, who is also looking for crowdsourced funding for the game through Fig. LOL
Good God. 90% of enthusiasm gone when I saw that. I guess Epic didn't want to help fund it at least not till its near release. Its Gearbox so they'll go with Epic near launch after pimping the game on Steam, GoG for a year.

I thought the intro flying through the yellow mines was a reference to Relic. Maybe it was. Sadly Relic is Sega owned now and Gearbox owns Homeworld rights.

It should be noted that Homeworld 3 is being "published" by Gearbox Software, who is also looking for crowdsourced funding for the game through Fig. LOL
I don't think that's the big deal people are making it out to be. Wasteland 3 and Divinity Original Sin II were both crowdfunded, and while the former hasn't been released yet, the latter has been hailed as one of the most critically-acclaimed and commercially-successful RPGs of the last several years. Hey, if it means that PCs get a CE, unlike most releases these days where the CEs are limited to the console and/or European markets, I'm all for crowdfunding everything.

The workaround is to not be a basic moron who uses Twitter.
That's actually the solution, not a workaround.

I don't use it anymore except when things get linked to a twitter post.

39cu9r.jpg

I don't think that's the big deal people are making it out to be. Wasteland 3 and Divinity Original Sin II were both crowdfunded, and while the former hasn't been released yet, the latter has been hailed as one of the most critically-acclaimed and commercially-successful RPGs of the last several years. Hey, if it means that PCs get a CE, unlike most releases these days where the CEs are limited to the console and/or European markets, I'm all for crowdfunding everything.
I think it's more of the fact that Gearbox took Sega's money for Aliens Colonial Marines and went in made Borderlands with it more than anything...

Just no way you can trust those assholes.

Playing Slay DERP Spire.  It's fun enough in a turn-based Binding of Isaac sort of way.  However, I don't see why it exploded in popularity because of Twitch.  Doesn't strike me as the type of game that people would want to watch others play.

people are watching wow f'ing classic. that is the most boring shit in the world. i gave up wondering what people watched when mukbangs became a thing.
I can only imagine (maybe hope?) that they are doing other things and just have it on for background noise... (Also suspect its a lot of people who use to play but don't have the time anymore.)

Kudos to Epic for recognizing a problem and solving it so quickly. In a time when we're all concerned about studio crunch and overworking devs, it's nice to see a big studio recognize that those arbitrary deadlines for features just create unhealthy, artificial crunch for their employees. Just get you those features when you can and do them right instead of rushing to meet some made up deadline.

I can only imagine (maybe hope?) that they are doing other things and just have it on for background noise... (Also suspect its a lot of people who use to play but don't have the time anymore.)
Well, that and there was for the first bit the rush to see who would hit max level and endgame first.
With that gone, I'd guess viewership would have to drop off a bit. But you never know. Internet people are weird.

Am I the only one seeing a super incorrect link?
Sorry, dude. It was late when I posted that. Even the most perfect among us make mistakes at times. Fixed now.

The link that I had originally posted was to the Game Boy Advance port of the recently released platformer Celeste.

Finished Blair Witch today (took about 8-10 hours, who knows).  I really enjoyed it (gave me serious Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice vibes) and while I won't be playing it again for the different endings I'm really glad I gave it a shot.

Sorry, dude. It was late when I posted that. Even the most perfect among us make mistakes at times. Fixed now.

The link that I had originally posted was to the Game Boy Advance port of the recently released platformer Celeste.
No worries. Just thought it was weird no one else said anything.

Ugh, just found out my Mechwarrior 5 preorder is going to be Epic Exclusive.  Ugh!  It was in my auto-spam folder so I missed the chance to refund it... (sigh)

Kudos to Epic for recognizing a problem and solving it so quickly. In a time when we're all concerned about studio crunch and overworking devs, it's nice to see a big studio recognize that those arbitrary deadlines for features just create unhealthy, artificial crunch for their employees. Just get you those features when you can and do them right instead of rushing to meet some made up deadline.
Your trolling efforts are commendable, good sir.

Ugh, just found out my Mechwarrior 5 preorder is going to be Epic Exclusive. Ugh! It was in my auto-spam folder so I missed the chance to refund it... (sigh)
Did you order directly from the Epic Store?

If "yes", check this:

https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/store-refund-policy?sessionInvalidated=true

What about preorders?

You can cancel your preorder and get a refund at any time before release.

After the game is released, you can request a refund within 14 days if you have not played the game for more than 2 hours.

For purposes of this policy, “release” includes any playable version of the game, including beta versions.

No I preordered from Pirhana's website when they first were posted. It's just annoying these exclusives occur AFTER the pre-order period started.
Just checked Piranha's policy. Today was the cut off date. Man, that bites.

Dev's & pub's just keep giving gamers more reasons to not pre-order, don't they?

Bait and switch from Steam to Epic for keys at the last minute, that's crap.

So I got into the GoG Galaxy 2 beta a week or so ago but really haven't used it a lot till this week when I've been trying to make as concision effort to use it.

I like it... but I cannot figure out how to start my Windows 10 Store games...  I keeps telling me to go to my console to install them.  Now, I got an NHL game where thats correct but all my Forza games and Gears 4 should linked to my PC.

Anyone know how to fix this?

So I got into the GoG Galaxy 2 beta a week or so ago but really haven't used it a lot till this week when I've been trying to make as concision effort to use it.

I like it... but I cannot figure out how to start my Windows 10 Store games... I keeps telling me to go to my console to install them. Now, I got an NHL game where thats correct but all my Forza games and Gears 4 should linked to my PC.

Anyone know how to fix this?
I don't think W10 Store PC Games are supported...yet.

W10 games are a real pain in the neck, as we (users and gamers) don't really have access to them. You have to "own" the folder - and even as an Admin, that can be a pain to deal with, if you can get around it. (Me, I never got around it).

In the meantime, I'd suggest to use UWPHook for Steam - this user figured out how to deal w/ W10 games and get them to be added as a Non-Steam game to Steam and also work within Steam (if the game will get along w/ Steam overlay, of course).

EDIT:

GOG Galaxy 2.0 has some quirks and...

1. Doesn't seem to recognize some of my owned W10 Store games (such as Forza Horizon 3);

2. Only seems to mention Xbox version for Play Anywhere titles for installing console version yet do nothing for PC W10 Versions that I have already installed (i.e. Killer Instinct PC W10 version & Gears of War 4 PC W10 version);

3. And doesn't recognize especially W10 Store PC games I've installed from utilizing the XB Game Pass (such as The Unavowed & Everspace).

bread's done
Back