Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Stuff coming to Xbox for PC Game Pass:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/10/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-console-and-pc-june-2020/

Coming To PC Game Pass:

• No Man's Sky - June 11th
  • Battletech - June 11th
  • Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 - June 11th
  • Dungeon of the Endless - June 11th
  • Bard's Tale: Remastered & Resnarkled - June 18th
Stuff leaving Game Pass Soon on June 15:
  • Book of Demons (PC)
  • Everspace (Console & PC)
  • Resident Evil Revelations (Console)
  • Riptide GP: Renegade (Console & PC)
  • Riverbond (Console & PC)
  • Samorost 3 (PC)
  • Superhot (Console & PC)
  • Supermarket Shriek (Console & PC)
  • The Last Door: Season 2 (PC)
  • The Stillness of the Wind (PC)
Games leaving the game pass would cause me too much anxiety to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if this question is not appropriate here but I figure this community would have the best feedback for my usage:

I am considering replacing my older 17in windows gaming laptop (that I no longer use) and 13in chomebook (I use a lot due to portability but sucks for my compatibility needs) for a new, more universal windows PC. I don't want a MacBook but would like something higher end similar to a MacBook Air in build quality. I want it to be good specs and last me for several years. Wouldn't be used daily and when used mostly internet, email, and word/data processing. I would likely game on it some but not high demand stuff, more like older gog games, diablo 2, stuff of that nature. Not interested in touch screen or tablet 2in1 stuff. Would be nice to have it play well with docking station/dual monitor setup as well. 

I have been eyeing the Dell XPS 13 series. Any thoughts on these or feel strongly about something else in the category? 

Apologies if this question is not appropriate here but I figure this community would have the best feedback for my usage:

I am considering replacing my older 17in windows gaming laptop (that I no longer use) and 13in chomebook (I use a lot due to portability but sucks for my compatibility needs) for a new, more universal windows PC. I don't want a MacBook but would like something higher end similar to a MacBook Air in build quality. I want it to be good specs and last me for several years. Wouldn't be used daily and when used mostly internet, email, and word/data processing. I would likely game on it some but not high demand stuff, more like older gog games, diablo 2, stuff of that nature. Not interested in touch screen or tablet 2in1 stuff. Would be nice to have it play well with docking station/dual monitor setup as well.

I have been eyeing the Dell XPS 13 series. Any thoughts on these or feel strongly about something else in the category?
First off - what's your budget for the new laptop you want?

I've never had a Dell XPS.

I have a EVGA SC15 gaming laptop (i7 7700HQ; 16 GB RAM; GTX 1060 6gb; 256 SSD and 1TB HDD; W10 x64) and Acer Nitro gaming laptop (i7 4720HQ; 16 GB RAM; 4gb GTX 960m; W10 x64). Nitro sure can get hot and throttle, so I mostly run older and/or not as demanding stuff there.

For my real current gaming needs, I use the EVGA SC15; must easier to not get slammed w/ heat there & most games at 1080p60fps at High or better (except for a few - i.e. Plague's Tale: Innocence; GR: Breakpoint).

What games exactly do you plan to run? Anything newer than say...Diablo 2? What else at GOG have you been staring at? What might be the most demanding game you're looking at? What about titles that hit GOG recently like...Dishonored? Dishonored 2? Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

(DE MD is still demanding, especially if you crank it up).

B/c really, if you ain't doing much demanding gaming - eh, you could easily get away w/ some kind of recent i5 or i7 8000 series or newer if you're going Intel...or if you going AMD go w/ the 4000 series CPU; 8 to 16 GB RAM; and some kind of SSD.

With the GPU - you could aim for GTX 1650 4gb...and be fine, if you aren't running demanding stuff. You might not even need that, TBH...and that ain't even the best GPU; not even close.

You could even sink more $ in a AMD 4000 CPU and skimp on the GPU, if you ain't playing anything demanding...and have no intentions for future titles on that rig. Integrated GPU's came a long way, on the AMD side - but eh, not ideal for demanding stuff. If you want to go with a AMD 4000 CPU and an "okay" GPU b/c you want something current, look at say the GTX 1650 4gb.

If you want to play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Shadow of the TR, AC: Origins, AC: Odyssey, GR Breakpoint, any other recent UbiSoft demanding games - yeah, then you'll want to aim for better GPU's for sure. Think like say a GTX 1060 6gb, 1070, 1080, 1660; or RTX 2060, 2070, 2080.

Also, what is the specs on your 17-inch gaming laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm a big fan of the HP Elitebook series. I have 1040 G3 right now. It's 14''. A bit older, but I always buy business notebooks off lease so they are usually around 3 years old when I buy them. I love it. This has a touchscreen, which is nice for me, and they sell docks for the HP business notebooks. I'm not sure what kind of gaming it would handle, but it ran the Jackbox games along with Zoom recently for some family game nights so I imagine it would be fine with older GOG stuff.

I got this "refurbished" aka off lease before the pandemic for $250 off ebay. The price shot up since so many people were working from home/needed notebooks. My last notebook was also an Elitebook that was still running strong (I think it was a 2012 notebook) but I just felt it time to replace it before it stopped working and also it was a chonky boy. This one is a lot lighter.

If refurbs aren't your thing, you can look at what new Elitebooks go for. If refurbs are your thing and you like Dell you should also check out Dell Outlet, they have some good deals.

If you want high build quality, I think business notebooks are the way to go so the XPS should be fine as well, I'm just not super familiar with Dell notebooks. .

First off - what's your budget for the new laptop you want?

I've never had a Dell XPS.

I have a EVGA SC15 gaming laptop (i7 7700HQ; 16 GB RAM; GTX 1060 6gb; 256 SSD and 1TB HDD; W10 x64) and Acer Nitro gaming laptop (i7 4720HQ; 16 GB RAM; 4gb GTX 960m; W10 x64). Nitro sure can get hot and throttle, so I mostly run older and/or not as demanding stuff there.

For my real current gaming needs, I use the EVGA SC15; must easier to not get slammed w/ heat there & most games at 1080p60fps at High or better (except for a few - i.e. Plague's Tale: Innocence; GR: Breakpoint).

What games exactly do you plan to run? Anything newer than say...Diablo 2? What else at GOG have you been staring at? What might be the most demanding game you're looking at? What about titles that hit GOG recently like...Dishonored? Dishonored 2? Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

(DE MD is still demanding, especially if you crank it up).

B/c really, if you ain't doing much demanding gaming - eh, you could easily get away w/ some kind of recent i5 or i7 8000 series or newer if you're going Intel...or if you going AMD go w/ the 4000 series CPU; 8 to 16 GB RAM; and some kind of SSD.

With the GPU - you could aim for GTX 1650 4gb...and be fine, if you aren't running demanding stuff. You might not even need that, TBH...and that ain't even the best GPU; not even close.

You could even sink more $ in a AMD 4000 CPU and skimp on the GPU, if you ain't playing anything demanding...and have no intentions for future titles on that rig. Integrated GPU's came a long way, on the AMD side - but eh, not ideal for demanding stuff. If you want to go with a AMD 4000 CPU and an "okay" GPU b/c you want something current, look at say the GTX 1650 4gb.

If you want to play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Shadow of the TR, AC: Origins, AC: Odyssey, GR Breakpoint, any other recent UbiSoft demanding games - yeah, then you'll want to aim for better GPU's for sure. Think like say a GTX 1060 6gb, 1070, 1080, 1660; or RTX 2060, 2070, 2080.

Also, what is the specs on your 17-inch gaming laptop?
Appreciate the info.

I would like to be in the $1500-2000 area and would like this thing to be relevant for 3-5 years. I am fine with upgrading RAM or SSD at some point.

I misspoke about the gaming laptop I have packed away, it is a 15.6in...I guess it just feels huge which has a lot to do with why it is packed away. I want something portable with good battery life. -Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (6th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-6300HQ Processor up to 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M, Windows 10)

Gaming wise, it would not be a priority since I play current stuff on XB1. I do have nostalgia for some of the oldies. I figure the hardest thing I might throw at it would be something like Half-Life 2/Portal 2 or maybe Diablo 3/Torchlight 2. If it helps I have an ASUS Mini PC that runs anything I have wanted to play for the last couple years. -ASUS VM65N-G063Z VivoMini PC with Intel Core i5-7200U and NVIDIA GeForce GT930M Graphics

I love the portability, battery life, size, and weight of my chromebook; just want something more snappy and I hate that I can't boot up Blood or Outlaws and blast some baddies for a few minutes when I get the itch.

I also forgot to mention one recent Steam game I played The A**kickers. Frankly this game is really unpolished for a brawler. I couldn't regularly pull off special moves. The fighting was clunky. There are very few moves and I couldn't even figure out if there was a throw. If one character (some lady) does her kick on you it's guaranteed to hit you. It's very repetitive. It also doesn't look or sound very good, though it's obvious from the music they're trying to get Streets of Rage sounding music. Just another low quality wannabe game trying to emulate another more popular game. 5/10

I wonder if Makoto is going to get upset and jealous if I start spending time with Yukari and Mitsuru again.  I've been missing Yukari a lot lately.  

Appreciate the info.

I would like to be in the $1500-2000 area and would like this thing to be relevant for 3-5 years. I am fine with upgrading RAM or SSD at some point.

I misspoke about the gaming laptop I have packed away, it is a 15.6in...I guess it just feels huge which has a lot to do with why it is packed away. I want something portable with good battery life. -Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (6th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-6300HQ Processor up to 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M, Windows 10)

Gaming wise, it would not be a priority since I play current stuff on XB1. I do have nostalgia for some of the oldies. I figure the hardest thing I might throw at it would be something like Half-Life 2/Portal 2 or maybe Diablo 3/Torchlight 2. If it helps I have an ASUS Mini PC that runs anything I have wanted to play for the last couple years. -ASUS VM65N-G063Z VivoMini PC with Intel Core i5-7200U and NVIDIA GeForce GT930M Graphics

I love the portability, battery life, size, and weight of my chromebook; just want something more snappy and I hate that I can't boot up Blood or Outlaws and blast some baddies for a few minutes when I get the itch.
Wow @ $1500-2000. You could buy a great gaming laptop or desktop for that kind of money. I don't think you need that much $, for what you're trying to do.

Of course, if you're looking for a better build - yeah, you could pretty much buy anything w/ that kind of dough, where power won't matter that much! Chances are, you'd still get something that won't have trouble w/ the stuff you're tossing at it, such as Half-Life 2 or Portal 2.

I can run Diablo 2 on my $200 W10 Tablet (which I got for like $65 on sale) with a GlideWrapper and get 30fps easy on it. Your old gaming laptop (similar to my specs - though you have a SSD and a better Intel 6th-gen CPU) should run that easy. That one should run anything you mentioned easily. Same goes for your ASUS VivoMiniPC too.

About your ChromeBook - you might want to look into other programs, which can run Windows stuff. Something like CrossOver. Granted, I don't have a ChromeBook...but it's free, so worth looking into that app.

Article on CrossOver - https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-windows-programs-on-chromebooks/

Saw this article on some others app's too - https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-play-games-on-your-chromebook

I should look further into this stuff on how to run Windows stuff on other OS's (like Chromebook or Android), as I do have a newer Android tablet...and see if I can get some older Windows classics going on that w/ an app or something.

You can also look onto this Laptop Deals sub on Reddit, as they post tons of laptop deals - https://www.reddit.com/r/LaptopDeals/new/

I've read reviews were things like the new Acer Swift 3 w/ the new Ryzen 7 4700U [8-cores] CPU, 8GB RAM, AMD GPU integrated, 512 GB SSD, 14'' 1080p screen do all kinds of awesome b/c the new Ryzen 4000's CPU are so good & have good battery life (up to 11 hours, supposedly). It's running DIRT 3 at 79fps, so it'll probably have no problem w/ anything you mentioned. Acer Swift 3 is around $600-700 - https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/acer-swift-3-2020-amd

Fuuka was the worst out of the four girls in sees. Terrible voice, clutzy as hell, lazy or nearly blind as she constantly misread things when cooking with shinjirou. I don't know what people like about her past design. Not to be a dig at someone's personal taste. Just I can't really think of any redeeming qualities that she possessed.

Mitsuru would be my favorite from the sees despite Marin Karin spam and her collection of pron from the dorm cameras.

Non playable track girl junko sp?

There are two kinds of dlc, one focuses on two races that have beef with each other from the lore and adds new lords and units to those races. The other dlc add new races to the game. There are two race packs, but even if you don't own them you will still see and play against those factions during the campaign you just can't start a new campaign and play as them without owning it.

I would just give the base game a shot and see what races you like then pick up the dlc that fleshes them out later on. If you think the two dlc races are interesting and want to try the campaign as them then you can pick those dlc up. Its all preference and I wouldn't say any of it is mandatory. Best bang for you buck would be as synnarc mentioned and getting total war warhammer 1 in order to use all those races in the mortal empires campaign. The first game gets pretty cheap and I think I might enjoy its campaign more than the second ones anyway. Plus when total war warhammer 3 is released if you own all three games all of the races will be able to play together on one giant campaign map.
Shout out to the few CAG's that gave some feedback on Warhammer II. Played about 90 minutes of High Elves till I had to make dinner. Don't think this one will be backlogged! Holding off on any other purchases other than base game since there's already so much content. Gonna be a great summer game now that I finished teaching on Monday!

They are kind of stating the obvious there. Tons of budget cards with 8 GB out there now. Think you can get a 580 for $150 or less. I'm more surprised they didn't say you need 12 GB or more going forward.

You guys keep smashing that Like button so I keep playing them...

Best Garden: Design gardens in a competition to see who has The Best Garden!  Seemed like a fun pitch, reality show style.  My wife just watched a whole season of some British flower arranging show and was "OMG look, it's the woman who plays Nadja in What We Do In The Shadows hosting this thing!" so I watched some and was ready to compete.  Ehhh... even with the crude Tandy looking graphics, this could potentially be fun except the controls are horribly unresponsive and you're on a short timer.  Fighting to move your cursor two spots while time is ticking down isn't a lot of fun.  That said, my first garden won with only being a patch of grass in a field of dirt so I guess that television watching paid off.

Clean ATTACK: Aside from that one episode of Dirty Jobs, skyscraper window washers are the true unsung superheroes of America, preventing us from having slightly less transparent glass on our buildings.  Or totally opaque windows because these were filthy.  Control a 3D guy as he rappels up and down a building, cleaning smudges and worse.  Moving your arm is sort of janky but that's the fun in a "lol physics" sort of way and flailing about with your sponge won't do anything but waste water -- you need finesse and nice circles.  I legitimately enjoyed this game.  It's not a play all the time title but, as far as disposable indie products go, it was fun and challenging without being needlessly stupid.

Us Lovely Corpses: A 2deep4u visual novel style game that has you playing a young witch sent to rescue your monster-haunted friend from the possessed roses growing out of the attic.  As you progress, you can speak to the roses, each offering hints into your friend's illnesses and trauma but learning too much will break you.  Allegories abound. Some other mild puzzles but the obvious goal is in the dialogue.  Attractive visuals and music and I thought the writing was engaging once it got rolling.  I lost but I'm willing to go back and try again.

The Red Door: Indie survival horror with an all too familiar "You're trapped in a house with a bad guy and need to escape and maybe hide sometimes" plot.  It's fine, I guess.  Graphics are the usual "I bought a Unity pack from Humble Bundle" stuff and there's nothing innovative about the game play but it does what it says on the box.  The fact that you have no pockets and can only hold one item at a time is annoying but not a deal breaker.  What was a deal breaker for me was the second time I had a "Solve this mixed-up picture tile" puzzle to open a door two minutes after the last one.  Ain't no one got time for that. 

Color Cannon: Local Multiplayer only game that wouldn't let me progress past the menu alone.  Who plays local multiplayer PC games?  -100000/10 would not play again even if you let me.

Now Free on the MysterD Tim Sweeney Epic Game Store:

• ARK: Survival Evolved, ARK Mod Kit, and some of its Map Packs
  • Samurai Showdown: Neo-Geo Collection

Next Week's Free stuff on Epic will be:

• Pathway
  • The Escapists 2

Lot more EA games added to Steam today, including the Battlefield series (1, 3, 4, 5, Hardline), the newer Battlefront games, and ME 3/Andromeda.
Awesome news @ EA adding more stuff to Steam.

There's also a rumor that Battlefield 3 is getting a Remaster and will come along-side the rumored Battlefield 6 that is also going to take place in a modern setting - https://www.bluesnews.com/s/211946/battlefield-3-remaster-rumor

I'm wondering if the two games will be connected, story-wise and/or character-wise.

I play some of the stuff I get for free/buy but not enough hours in the day and all that.  If I had this backlog when I was a kid I could have blown through it in a year or two with all those all night gaming sessions.

What's a good cpu stress test for gaming that isn't completely overkill? I updated my bios, and basically every overclock, fan curve, ram setting, etc was lost. I'm using Prime95, but I feel like that program is insanely overkill. I don't remember having to have such high voltage before.

What's a good cpu stress test for gaming that isn't completely overkill? I updated my bios, and basically every overclock, fan curve, ram setting, etc was lost. I'm using Prime95, but I feel like that program is insanely overkill. I don't remember having to have such high voltage before.
That's sort of the point of a stress test isn't it?

People define stability differently.  If I'm in a situation where I don't want to run something like Prime95 or OCCT, then I just use the built-in stress cpu function that is now built-in to cpu-z (aka cpu-ID).  Just download the zip file and keep the .exe file on a flash drive.

Alternately, you could just list your board, cpu, cooler, and ram here.  I could give settings suggestions on where to start.

I have a Ryzen 5 2600 with a Gammaxx 400 cooler, B450 Tomahawk board, and 8gb T-Force Delta R 3000mhz x2. I get good temps in the very low 70s with a 4.1ghz all core overclock, but on Prime95 I have to crank the voltage to around 1.375 to not crash. No game will ever push my system that hard. That's why I'm looking for a more reasonable stress test. I guess I could always run the Ryzen Master test for awhile.

Some more itch.io bundle impressions from me:

4 Legged Heroine - This just sucks. It's about a dog after this pandemic we're going through and it's an endless runner that stops every time you can change lanes. Basic and clunky. 4/10

Adventures Of A Radish - A very basic platformer where you collect fruit for some unknown reason and try to reach the end of a world, where each one has a boss you need to defeat. I honestly felt it was fully baked, had an OK variety of enemy types and all the levels played quickly. I finished it in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Honestly I had a good time, though I know there are better platformers. 6.5/10

Arigatou, Ningen-san! - This one I beat in about 10 minutes. It has you as a new person in town petting animals to get them to come to your house. You just click on one, it says it likes something or has a lot of knots and you pretty much click and pinch to mold the animal around like dough or clay. It's weird and eventually the animal becomes happy. It has OK graphics. 5/10

Autumn - A simulation I guess of growing trees with energy. Honestly It was a bit too slow for me. The graphics were pretty nice and the atmosphere was good, but the waiting around for trees to grow was slow. Also I never got how to move energy around which helps you get more land. 5/10

Detective Bot - One of those qwop style controlling games where you control a robots arms and legs and have to move him around to collect stuff. I though it looked nice and played OK, but I hate these type of games. It's functional though and seemed OK. 6/10

Devtheism - RPGMaker game about Devs and how a guy believes in them but others don't. I grew tired of this quickly and it felt kind of boring. 4.5/10

Eizoku - Boring walking around temples and I mean walking around them not on their property game. You walk way too slow and the graphics are just kind of meh. I got bored quickly. 4.5/10

Just Another Day At The Office - Garbage game about going AWOL in your office throwing molotovs and junk. It's terrible. 2/10

Knightmare Tower - This one was fun and I actually beat it. It's about you as a knight launching from a rocket and you click to go down and slice monsters to get speed. You can miss monsters, but you lose speed and lava is slowly coming up the tower. There are upgrades and princesses to rescue. It took me about a bit under 2 hours to get the ending. This was polished and just fun. It's a time waster, but it doesn't feel dumb. 7.5/10

Lacrymo Tennis - Basic game where you play a person with a tennis racket batting back tear gas thrown at protestors. It has an OK message, but it's so basic. 4/10

Ominous - Another RPGMaker game. I beat this one as well. This took me about 30 or so minutes. It is fully narrated and is about a guy who ends up in a place and how he got there. It's basic, but OK enjoyable. 5.5/10

Plana Gravitas - A jam game that is about moving a robot around on a planet and jumping to other planets and collecting spheres or something. It controlled horribly and I got tired of it after a minute. 4/10

Shout out to the few CAG's that gave some feedback on Warhammer II. Played about 90 minutes of High Elves till I had to make dinner. Don't think this one will be backlogged! Holding off on any other purchases other than base game since there's already so much content. Gonna be a great summer game now that I finished teaching on Monday!
Humble has a bunch of total war stuff on sale for 1-2 more days fyi.

Welcome back to Syntax Radio where we're counting down the itch.io bundle hits...

There Will Be Ink: Stick figure squad-based combat action taking place in your spiral notebook.  The whole "animated sketches" thing isn't new but it's well animated and looks good aside from the figures being a bit small.  Maybe later on that matters more with more guys on the field.  You control a guy or squad of black ink guys in real time and try to defeat the blue ink guys.  As you win maps, you get experience to spend on upgrades. The game opens with a warning that it's difficult and means it -- there's an "arcade" setting for casuals like me but otherwise it falls into the 2hard4me bucket.  But if you like difficult stuff and if you like squad strategy type games, this might be worth trying out.

Insufficient Adjectives: A vocabulary/mapping puzzle game where trucks leave a warehouse, their packages labeled with only adjectives, and you need to figure out (a) where they should be going and (b) how to get them there without crashing.  So a package reading "Shiny, paired, sharp" might represent scissors that need to go to the beauty salon.  While you're noodling that part out, the trucks trundle along a tile based map and will crash if you can't quickly change the road system with random street tiles to get them there.  Quickly gets frantic with more than one truck on the road at once.  Cute city/map graphics.  Basically zero instructions; I had to go to the store page to figure out what in the hell was going on.

Zeph: A pleasant enough but sort of generic feeling 3D puzzle exploration game where you are a floating girl spirit thingie trying to unlock the mystery of this land, yadda yadda.  You get powers of light, levitation, fire and gravity to explore the levels, solve the puzzles, get to the gate and do it all over again.  It feels almost exactly like what you'd expect.  Visuals and music are acceptable although, again, reminiscent of other similar games.  There's nothing wrong with the game but it's not breaking any new ground.  It's... fine.  My one bitch is, again, the lack of direction on the menu screen, especially a "controller required" note.  I spent a couple minutes being able to move with the keyboard but not do anything else before realizing that all the actions were only mapped for controllers.

A completely normal and innocent dating simulation that is definitely completely sweet, innocent and normal: *Sigh*.  Low effort attempt at Visual Novel dating sim parody with awful hand-drawn pictures that are probably supposed to be so bad that they're good (but aren't), unfunny writing and a soundtrack consisting of a girl making "doot doot" noises.  The sole credit I can give it is that I suspect it was made by high school kids so good on you kids for putting a game on itch.io and submitting it for this bundle... I guess.  At fifteen games for a penny, I still felt like I overpaid.

bread's done
Back