Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I love SR3 and SR4, but I wouldn’t really call either of them GTA clones. The series had developed into something distinct by 3.
SR2 still felt like a GTA clone but on steroids, meanwhile GTA3 took things to a new level of over-the-top with even more absurdity, insanity, parody, ridiculousness, etc etc.

SR4 felt like it went into superhero turf, more or less.

Quake Champions.

From what I'm hearing and reading:

People are claiming if you play one match during QuakeCon, it will now unlock all Champions.

Steam Community - https://steamcommunity.com/app/611500/discussions/0/2789370076122042206/

Reddit on Game Deals - https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/i58oev/steam_quake_champions_all_champions_free_when_you/

Reddit on Quake Champions - https://www.reddit.com/r/QuakeChampions/comments/i44a26/you_can_unlock_all_champs_for_free_during_quakecon/

Info:

• Play one match during QuakeCon, it unlocks all Champions.
  • If you already have all Champions unlocked already, you will get 10 Shards for each Champion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bunch of other random Quakecon freebies:

• QUAKE for Free! – During this weekend, players will be able to enter Bethesda.net and get a free digital copy of the original Quake in the Bethesda launcher. You must be logged in to your Bethesda.net account to claim the free game.
  • Donations for QUAKE II – If donations reach $ 10,000, players will get a free digital copy of QUAKE II in the Bethesda launcher, this would happen shortly after the event.
  • ESO Game Mascot – Check out any of the official ESO broadcasts every day and you’ll receive a unique Twitch Drop from QuakeCon, the Flame Atronach Pony mascot, plus Ouroboros Crown boxes! Be sure to link your ESO and Twitch accounts to qualify.
  • DOOM Eternal QuakeCon Slayer Skin – DOOM Eternal players will be able to access a free QuakeCon Slayer Skin, icon and player badge on all platforms. Available until August 11.
  • QUAKE Champions Railgun Pistol Skin – Claim a free and exclusive look of a QuakeCon 2020 Railgun in QUAKE Champions.
  • Demonic variants of the Fallout 76 Sheepsquatch outfit and Mr. Fuzzy’s backpack – Claim these free in-game items at the Atomic Shop throughout the weekend, available on all platforms.

In nine years, I can't remember having an awesome day at work, but it finally happened.  I received some computers from my job that were about to be recycled since they are planning to upgrade there soon. 

I got two Lenovo Thinkstation p330s and one Lenovo Thinkstation S.  I haven't checked these machines' specs yet because I am planning to buy some canned air tomorrow to dust them after I open them up and put them back to factory settings of course.  

The recycling company was about to come and pick them up this afternoon, so my boss let me have what I wanted from the pile.  I was planning to buy a Raspberry Pi kit for tinkering since I am at home most nights after work, but these are way better obviously.  

I am not planning to sell these to anyone nor am I interested in receiving any PMs from any CAGs about these.  I just wanted to share my good news with people who might read this post all the way to the end of it.

Any tips from any of you longtime builders and refurbishers?

Any tips from any of you longtime builders and refurbishers?
Have fun. Once you get around to finding specs and if you find yourself needing help with something in particular, feel free to ask.

Do note that such units often use proprietary motherboards & cabling interface, which may limit your frankenstein plans.

In other anecdotal hardware news:
Randomly found a 3900x on Amazon (Warehouse Deals) for $269. I have no idea what I'm going to do with 24 threads. :shock:

Depending on the specs either of those might make a nice NAS box or HTPC. Free computer beats raspberry pi unless you wanted a really small system.

Grats on the 3900x, thats $10 more than I paid for a 3700x.

That's about what I paid for my 2600x a few years ago!  Actually, I think I paid less than $200... can't remember.  Still an amazing price for a 3900x

Have fun. Once you get around to finding specs and if you find yourself needing help with something in particular, feel free to ask.

Do note that such units often use proprietary motherboards & cabling interface, which may limit your frankenstein plans.

In other anecdotal hardware news:
Randomly found a 3900x on Amazon (Warehouse Deals) for $269. I have no idea what I'm going to do with 24 threads. :shock:
You could re-code Crysis 1 to actually see if it could run Crysis w/ 24 threads. ;)

I use a $15 MS Surface with no LCD hooked up to a TV and Logitech K400 in my kitchen. Does everything I could want and more considering it's location. Haven't tried Remote Play or Steam Link while cooking, yet.

Is there a website that will tell you which graphics cards are compatible with your PC if you want to upgrade?  I don't mean to bombard the thread with my questions, but this is new territory for me.  

After I got some sleep, I looked at one of the PCs that I rescued yesterday.  It was a Lenovo H330.

Factory specs:

Windows 8.1

6 GB RAM

1 TB HD

After several Google and YouTube searches, I saw a video with a guy upgrading that same PC with a GEForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card.  Apparently, those aren't easy to find on Amazon.  But I saw that the XFX R7 260X and the Sapphire Radeon R7 265 might work instead.

How would you know if a graphics card would be compatible or what other graphics cards are equivalent?

Thank you in advance.  I have been reading this thread for a couple of years, and I know that you guys are very smart when it comes to these types of things, so I appreciate the help.

How would you know if a graphics card would be compatible or what other graphics cards are equivalent?
Saying Lenovo H330 doesn't shed much light because model numbers like these are often shared by different builds having very different components. Maybe you could narrow it down to something like Lenovo H330 77801PU.

Adding a graphics card is one of the easiest things you could modify. If the motherboard has an empty PCI-E slot and the case had the physical room for expansion, just fill the slot with the pci-e card of your choice. Then connect your display to the card rather than the motherboard, load win (which may look funny at first), then update to the most recent drivers for the card available on the card manufacturer's website.

The other thing you have to consider is if you have a proper power supply capable to run the existing components + the card you would be adding.

I don't mean to bombard the thread with my questions, but this is new territory for me.
Don't worry about it. Most of us like talking hardware and are fine with it if you mix in an occasional post about pizza or MysterD's mother.

Adding a graphics card is one of the easiest things you could modify. If the motherboard has an empty PCI-E slot and the case had the physical room for expansion, just fill the slot with the pci-e card of your choice. Then connect your display to the card rather than the motherboard, load win (which may look funny at first), then update to the most recent drivers for the card available on the card manufacturer's website.

The other thing you have to consider if you have a proper power supply to run the existing components + the card you would be adding.

Don't worry about it. Most of us like talking hardware and are fine with it if you mix in an occasional post about pizza or MysterD's mother.
Thanks. I've only ever own pre-built computers, so this is a new thing for me. I noticed that graphics cards ranging in price from very cheap to exorbitantly expensive. The cheapest one that I found that was readily available was this one. So I will have to research it more to see if it will work, but I guess it would?

MSI Gaming GeForce GT 710 2GB GDRR3 64-bit HDCP Support DirectX 12 OpenGL 4.5 Single Fan Low Profile Graphics Card (GT 710 2GD3 LP)

Horizon Zero Dawn PC - Technical Port Analysis from Digital Foundry:
Even more reason to wait. Price drops + performance patches.

I noticed that graphics cards ranging in price from very cheap to exorbitantly expensive. The cheapest one that I found that was readily available was this one. So I will have to research it more to see if it will work, but I guess it would?
First, determine your exact system specs, especially of your power supply. Then determine what kind of room physical room you have inside your chassis to work with. Lastly, identify the card you'd like to add. In general I'd suggest something that's both recent and low power. You might even need low-profile if it's a compact case. You can probably do a lot better than a 710.

Is there a website that will tell you which graphics cards are compatible with your PC if you want to upgrade? I don't mean to bombard the thread with my questions, but this is new territory for me.

After I got some sleep, I looked at one of the PCs that I rescued yesterday. It was a Lenovo H330.

Factory specs:

Windows 8.1

6 GB RAM

1 TB HD

After several Google and YouTube searches, I saw a video with a guy upgrading that same PC with a GEForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card. Apparently, those aren't easy to find on Amazon. But I saw that the XFX R7 260X and the Sapphire Radeon R7 265 might work instead.

Thank you in advance. I have been reading this thread for a couple of years, and I know that you guys are very smart when it comes to these types of things, so I appreciate the help.
What's your PSU, mobo & CPU?

You have Windows 8.1 (ewwwwwwwwwwww!), so...I'd recommend ClassicShell, if you stick w/ W 8.1 here. Since Metro UI and even revamped 8.1 UI just sucks. Heck, I use it on W10, since I ain't fond of the tiles crap. Used it back in the W8 days, still use it for W10.

Classic Shell - http://www.classicshell.net/

You can install Speccy Free Version and look at all your specs.

Speccy Free Version - https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Your PSU, mobo, and CPU should be able to tell you how far you can go w/ this thing - which, I expect, really won't be very far at all; especially if you want to do modern stuff. You could get away w/ turning it into an older games PC's that would be good for older GOG titles and other not-demanding at all titles (i.e. certain Indies), though.

So, for cards...maybe you want to look at mostly cards ending in x50 if you're going NVidia? Namely - i.e. GTX 750, 950, 1050, 1650, etc etc. Don't know if you want to go into the 1050 or 1650 range w/ that rig. You'll need something lower-powered since you probably have a weak CPU and PSU. I don't think you'll want to play doctor here and do massive surgery on it though; might as well go build or buy a new one.

If you're trying to find a GTX 750 Ti (2014 budget card!!!) - yeah, good luck; it's old. You are not going to find that at retail. You're likely going to find NVidia GTX 10xx and whatever the newest generation of AMD Radeons at retail - even then, you'll probably bottleneck the crap out of the PC, if you mix a new graphics card w/ old hardware like an old CPU. You might have to go hunting from users on Reddit, CAG, maybe Amazon, and other places; and see if any of your friends have any of these old parts lying around and are trying to get rid of them.

EDIT:

If you're trying to say learn how to replace parts, upgrade, modify, tinker, and stuff of this sort - yeah, this also could be a test-bed for you to mess around with, if you are trying to do that.

So, for cards...maybe you want to look at mostly cards ending in x50 if you're going NVidia? Namely - i.e. GTX 750, 950, 1050, 1650, etc etc. Don't know if you want to go into the 1050 or 1650 range w/ that rig. You'll need something lower-powered since you probably have a weak CPU and PSU. I don't think you'll want to play doctor here and do massive surgery on it; might as well go buy a new one.
If the lenovo build is slim he's probably going to need a low profile (LP) card. So that will limit his options to things like 1650, 1050ti, 1030, etc.

Has anyone been playing Fall Guys? I've been out of town all week, and I'm itching to get it when I get home. It looks hilarious. I plan to get it for...full retail price.

If the lenovo build is slim he's probably going to need a low profile (LP) card. So that will limit his options to things like 1650, 1050ti, 1030, etc.
Great point, yeah.

I mean, even in other builds - the 4gb 960 fit fine, but the 970 card was barely fitting in those cases. And yeah, I use normally much bigger cases. IIRC, the 970 barely fit in my big box Cooler Master HAF.

Has anyone been playing Fall Guys? I've been out of town all week, and I'm itching to get it when I get home. It looks hilarious. I plan to get it for...full retail price.
I played it for a couple of days (free on PS+). It's fun and silly. But the levels get old pretty quickly. For me was the perfect kind of game to try through a subscription and enjoy for a short period. But then again I'm not someone who plays battle royales or has motivation for grinding to unlock cosmetic items.

Highlight for me was getting a final round win on my first time playing a level (the falling honeycomb floor). Oh, and there's a trophy / achievement awarded for finishing a race in first, but only after stopping to perform an emote right before crossing the finish line. Good fun.

What's your PSU, mobo & CPU?

You have Windows 8.1 (ewwwwwwwwwwww!), so...I'd recommend ClassicShell, if you stick w/ W 8.1 here. Since Metro UI and even revamped 8.1 UI just sucks. Heck, I use it on W10, since I ain't fond of the tiles crap. Used it back in the W8 days, still use it for W10.

Classic Shell - http://www.classicshell.net/

You can install Speccy Free Version and look at all your specs.

Speccy Free Version - https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Your PSU, mobo, and CPU should be able to tell you how far you can go w/ this thing - which, I expect, really won't be very far at all; especially if you want to do modern stuff. You could get away w/ turning it into an older games PC's that would be good for older GOG titles and other not-demanding at all titles (i.e. certain Indies), though.

So, for cards...maybe you want to look at mostly cards ending in x50 if you're going NVidia? Namely - i.e. GTX 750, 950, 1050, 1650, etc etc. Don't know if you want to go into the 1050 or 1650 range w/ that rig. You'll need something lower-powered since you probably have a weak CPU and PSU. I don't think you'll want to play doctor here and do massive surgery on it though; might as well go build or buy a new one.

If you're trying to find a GTX 750 Ti (2014 budget card!!!) - yeah, good luck; it's old. You are not going to find that at retail. You're likely going to find NVidia GTX 10xx and whatever the newest generation of AMD Radeons at retail - even then, you'll probably bottleneck the crap out of the PC, if you mix a new graphics card w/ old hardware like an old CPU. You might have to go hunting from users on Reddit, CAG, maybe Amazon, and other places; and see if any of your friends have any of these old parts lying around and are trying to get rid of them.

EDIT:

If you're trying to say learn how to replace parts, upgrade, modify, tinker, and stuff of this sort - yeah, this also could be a test-bed for you to mess around with, if you are trying to do that.
Thanks for the analysis, guys. Thanks to gospelman, I found the specs on the Lenovo website.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/lenovo/h-series/h530s/

And I was considering this graphics card to give it a little bump since Amazon Warehouse has a bunch of them used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOFD0G8/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1596901020&sr=8-1

I wasn't expecting to get a top of the line rig out of the unit nor was I planning to sink very much money into upgrading it since it was a freebie to begin with. As it stands now, it has an Intel 4400 graphics processor that will allow me to play most games from before 2014 and some indies as MysterD mentioned. And tinkering was what I was going for since I don't have a lot of money for parts but I do own enough Steam games to choke a horse.

Yeah looks to be LP cards only on that.  Just do whatever fits your budget.

PSU looks like a proprietary form ~280w.  Wouldn't be easy or cheap to replace, I'd just live with it.

If it were me, I would spend exactly zero time with Win 8.  I would buy a true ssd (I've seen some ~$25 for 256gb) and just install win10 on it.  Then use the 1tb drive for storage of games that have minimal load time.  Gray market win10 keys can be found for dirt cheap ($3-5), or even just use it in an unactivated state.  Either would be better than trying to live on win8.

Ya'll use graphics cards to play games?!?  I'm so confused.  My 2070 is only really for Chrome browsing.  I almost never game on it ;)  (sad but true)

Man, just make sure the Power Supply fits/works.  All the newer cards all need it and I find the hunt for that to be more painful than the card.  Especially if you use a unique computer design.  

Also, I agree.  SSD is mandatory for Windows on ANY computer I bring into the house.  Period.  

Ya'll use graphics cards to play games?!? I'm so confused. My 2070 is only really for Chrome browsing. I almost never game on it ;) (sad but true)
Oh no, my higher end components are almost always used these days [customspoiler='Spoiler']to play Slay the Spire.[/customspoiler]

Don't buy the 710. It's a useless card. 

Stay with the onboard Intel 4400 or try at least a cheap 1030. You may also find some low profile 1650 with a good price. 

EDIT: There is also 2 variants of the 1030: The slow DDR4 version and the much faster GDDR5. 

Ditto on the 1030 info. I'd rather stick with the Intel HD 4400 igpu that comes with the cpu (if an i3) in that lenovo system.

Wow, this must be like my 3rd copy of Quake, with now the Bethesda version.

It's vanilla, too. No expansions.

I have Quake 1 from Steam (Complete w/ the 2 expansions); and Quake 1 & Scourge both from retail from way back in the good old days.

Any madjoki-style browser hacks to claim the free copy of Quake without actually installing Bethesda Launcher?

Asking for a friend.
I assumed you just have to have a Bethesda.net account to have them automatically load into your account.

Then check the store pages if it says "You already own this product."

Quake 1: https://bethesda.net/en/store/product/QU1CSTPCBG01

Quake 2: https://bethesda.net/en/store/product/QU2CSTPCBG01

BTW supposedly Quake 2 is loaded on Sunday after reaching their 10K donation goal.

Quake 3 is going to be included for free after quakecon too. Also, sounds like you do have to log into the bethesda launcher at least once during the weekend.

Don't buy the 710. It's a useless card.

Stay with the onboard Intel 4400 or try at least a cheap 1030. You may also find some low profile 1650 with a good price.

EDIT: There is also 2 variants of the 1030: The slow DDR4 version and the much faster GDDR5.
Ditto on the 1030 info. I'd rather stick with the Intel HD 4400 igpu that comes with the cpu (if an i3) in that lenovo system.
Thanks, guys. You have all been very helpful with your knowledge and suggestions.

It's an I5. So I might go with one of those higher number graphics cards if I can find one for a reasonable price. I found a bunch of games that will run decently on the pre-installed 4400 GPU. A very nice piece of kit for a workstation. Better than I could afford on my own right now which is why I was so excited.

Ironically, however, my biggest difficulty was attempting to remove the account that was on the one that I was working on all afternoon. It's obviously out of warranty at this point which is why it was getting recycled, but I can't get past the damn username and password screen to get into them since I can't log onto the work server with it anymore. :bomb:

And the YouTube videos that I watched on the subject aren't any help, so I will likely PM one of you to see if you have any suggestions as to how to do that. I'm a babe in the woods, but I don't want to derail this thread too much with my problem.

I'm sure that someone's mom needs talking about.

Have had a really great last week in Div 2.  I got a Big Horn drop, finished the last legendarily I hadn't ran, completed the new raid, got a perfect Fox's Prayer to finally drop, perfect providence holster, completed the blue apparel cache (have all current 100 items in it), and finished the recalibration library for gear.  (I have a few needed roll for each weapon type.) 

Like I said its been a good week of looting!

bread's done
Back