Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Psychonauts 2 is pretty amazing so far in almost every regard. Just the occasional hitch that is apparently some shader issue with UE4 and DX12, but other than that it's easily the most fun I've had with a game all year.

SR3 Remastered... free

Don't buy from Epic store and in another year or 2, the SR Reboot will be free, too.
Pretty sure their entire business model is centered around just giving away free games for website traffic and Fortnite microtransactions

I am amazed they have been able to keep this thing going so long

It costs them like 5% of Fortnite profits or something. They can keep going for awhile.

Edit: It's like ~$5 billion profit from Fortnite and ~$250 million loss through EGS, per year, per the court case with Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Watson (aka IdolNinja), who was working on Saints Row 2 & fixing it up, has unfortunately passed away:
https://kotaku.com/developer-fixing-saints-row-2s-long-lost-pc-version-has-1847559526
https://www.pcgamer.com/saints-row-modder-and-volition-community-developer-mike-watson-aka-idolninja-has-died/

Notes:

- For those that don't know, Mike Watson AKA Idolninja was the modder behind the beloved Gentleman of The Row mod for SR2 PC.

- And he was working on a huge overhaul for SR2 PC for Nordic & Volition.

- This was to fix the PC port & also port the DLC's over to SR2 PC.

- He's also made sure someone else was to continue working on this, even after his passing.

- Even in his final days of having Stage 4 Cancer, the legendary modder/developer was still working on this overhaul.
ripinpeace.gif

It costs them like 5% of Fortnite profits or something. They can keep going for awhile.

Edit: It's like ~$5 billion profit from Fortnite and ~$250 million loss through EGS, per year, per the court case with Apple.
They can keep going for a while but eventually the investors will say "You know, if EGS isn't going to turn a profit, we'd rather KEEP the $250mil rather than throw it down a hole no matter how little it impacts the $5bil bottom line"

Worth noting those figures don't quantify how much Fortnite profit is boosted by boosting EGS.

Considering the Apple lawsuit, it's clear how important it is that Epic has its own platform: Fortnite made $1.2 billion in revenue on iOS in just the short period of time before it was taken down, which means $360 million of that went to Apple's share. That's far more money than it costs Epic to keep running its own platform with all the costs, game giveaways included.

Steam charges a sixth what Apple does, but a 5% cut of $5 billion is still $250 million: not too coincidentally the same amount that EGS is costing Epic.

It's very clear that not only is Epic making enough off of Fortnite to support EGS, but it's completely incumbent upon them to do whatever they can within reason to push EGS as hard as they can to protect their Fornite profits from the hefty platform fees of third-party storefronts.

Worth noting those figures don't quantify how much Fortnite profit is boosted by boosting EGS.

Considering the Apple lawsuit, it's clear how important it is that Epic has its own platform: Fortnite made $1.2 billion in revenue on iOS in just the short period of time before it was taken down, which means $360 million of that went to Apple's share. That's far more money than it costs Epic to keep running its own platform with all the costs, game giveaways included.

Steam charges a sixth what Apple does, but a 5% cut of 5 billion is still $250 million: not too coincidentally the same amount that EGS is costing Epic.

It's very clear that not only is Epic making enough off of Fortnite to support EGS, but it's completely incumbent on them to do whatever they can within reason to push EGS as hard as they can to protect their Fornite profits from the hefty platform fees of third-party storefronts.
I agree. I also think they are banking on a future strategy. It's yet another business model that includes hemhorraging money (which is fine, because Fortnite is their cash cow) in order to have a giant future enterprise. Which, yes, they will need that if they ever want to compete, but lots of things could happen. I suppose they either have a plan, or multiple plans, and they are banking on future changes. And if it doesn't work, I suppose they'll be able to move on, the way Google and Amazon do when they utterly fail at games things. Or try again.

I think it's all completely fucked up, personally, just like almost anything corporate, but I like to get free games (Epic), and I like cheap games (Steam), so here I am! Most don't even think about it, because why bother, and why would they?

It's very clear that not only is Epic making enough off of Fortnite to support EGS, but it's completely incumbent on them to do whatever they can within reason to push EGS as hard as they can to protect their Fornite profits from the hefty platform fees of third-party storefronts.
You don't need a whole PC game store for that, you just need a website/app that lets people buy direct from Epic. Like they had before EGS started and you got your PC versions from Epic's website.

Fortnite doesn't rely on EGS, EGS is Epic's way of trying to spin their Fortnite success into more revenue streams.

You don't need a whole PC game store for that, you just need a website/app that lets people buy direct from Epic. Like they had before EGS started and you got your PC versions from Epic's website.
Yeah, who need massive platforms with millions of customers established and already buying things? You can just get people to navigate to your website just as easy!

Every single successful business in history looks at its costs, and sees if there's a way they can make the inputs themselves cheaper, instead of paying someone else a profit margin to provide them. 

Amazon was spending a lot on web servers, so it created AWS. It was spending a lot of money on shipping, so it created its own delivery service. Apple was spending a lot on Intel processors (in both pricing and other dimensions) so they created their own processors. 

In the case of selling videogames on a microtransaction model, your single biggest cost, by far, is the transaction fees that digital storefronts charge you. 

And no, those transaction fees are not just paying for pushing the bytes of your game files to players and processing their payments. They are also paying for the privilege of being on an established storefront with millions of customers. Just making your own shitty website where people can download your game does not fully replace that input.

Fortnite doesn't rely on EGS, EGS is Epic's way of trying to spin their Fortnite success into more revenue streams.
Sure, I have no problem w/ using a website and downloading games - but does the average Joe Smoe? Or new guy or new girl named Jess that just joined PC Gaming?

Thing is: Steam really set the standard for this, so everybody copied.

Client-app services like EA Origin, Steam, GOG Galaxy, IndieGala Client, UbiSoft Connect / UPLAY, EGS, and all of those client-app's make games so much easier to deal w/ - especially for newbies - to just download the app and let the app handle the rest.

The app can download the games; install the games; and also update the games all via the app. It's so painless; no muss, no fuss. Easy-peasy.

I'm really not the person that these stores need to get in, as I'm already in and hooked; been since '95. It's all about them doing all they can to hook newbies into their platform.

And the future probably isn't in console gaming and/or PC gaming wars - it's gonna be all about the client-app platforms. Already, Steam especially w/ the super-portable Steam Deck and even Microsoft w/ the Xbox Platform (the Xbox console itself and also the PC Gaming App; and also with stuff like XCloud) is proving this - by basically trying to merge PC gaming and console gaming under one big client-app platform banner; especially since all the main gaming platforms (PC, Xbox, and Playstation since PS4) are pretty much similar w/ their PC-like architecture.

Yeah, who need massive platforms with millions of customers established and already buying things? You can just get people to navigate to your website just as easy!
Epic was already an established company and platform with Fortnite. No one was saying "Holy shit, I had no idea FORTNITE was available until I went to Epic Game Store!"

The customer base Fortnite has dwarfs anything EGS is doing on its own. You're looking at it 100% backwards. In fact, the Apple lawsuit was about how Epic was routing customers to their own store from in-app to buy shit directly from them. Epic doesn't need a PC game store to do that.

Just making your own shitty website where people can download your game does not fully replace that input.
Right. Because the only binary options for a multi-billion dollar company are "fully expansive PC game store" and "Geocities web site with a download link".

Sure, I have no problem w/ using a website and downloading games - but does the average Joe Smoe or new guy or new girl named Jess that just joined PC Gaming?
Again, you don't need a game store with 2,000 games for sale to sell Fortnite from your website or even have a client that's basically just Fortnite in case your customers don't understand download links. The idea that Fortnite needs a whole PC game store to survive is hilariously ridiculous.

Spotify is involved in a similar suit with Apple. And, like Epic, what they want is a way to accept payment directly through the app without Apple taking a cut. In the meantime, they require people who want to upgrade to premium to go to their website directly. What they DON'T need to do is open Spotify App Store with 2,000 different apps in order to get people to subscribe for Premium Spotify.

Once I cut out everything from your post that wasn't a ridiculous straw-man, I was left with nothing left to respond to. 

Yep, Epic's business model is "to survive". That's what we're all arguing here. They don't have any higher ambitions than that. Who cares how high fees they pay on other storefronts as long as they break even. [/s]

Nobody is saying "EGS is necessary for Fortnite to survive" or "Epic needs EGS in order to get any Fortnite players".

What I'm saying is extremely simple: let's try again to see if you can get it without twisting it into a complete straw-man:

With the amount of $$$ Epic is bringing in with Fortnite revenue, the cost of building their own complete PC game storefront, including buying users with free games, is a pittance compared to the price they would pay in fees to be on anyone else's storefront.

In short: even if we ignored every single other motivation they might have to build a storefront**, they would be crazy not to spend the relatively little money they are spending to capture this huge cost input.

**I know you will find this confusing. It's called a logical argument: note that I'm not saying there are no other motivations, just that this motivation alone is clearly enough financially to justify the move. Just because you think a bear can kill you with its jaws alone, does not make someone else "backwards" for pointing out that a bear can kill you with its claws alone.

YES, a complete PC game store provides Epic with future lasting revenue streams, exactly like the example of AWS I literally just gave provided Amazon with massive revenue streams, while their need for web services in-house made the development of AWS incredibly affordable on their balance sheet. Web services were a huge cost input to Amazon's Amazon.com revenues, just like PC storefront fees are a huge cost input for Epic's massive Fortnite revenues. In the same way, they make EGS an incredibly affordable venture on Epic's balance sheet.

samnite: provides interesting points

elessar123: provides a nice subtle supporting point, with numbers and case examples to back it up

MysterD: verbose, but some thoughtful unique ideas

SyntaxError: IF YOU DON'T SEE IT THE WAY I DO YOU'RE COMPLETELY BACKWARDS! GEOCITIES! 

:roll:

Whatever guys.  I got a new Steam Deck gaming chair.   I'm in the process of making the rest of the house roller-chair accessible now.

gaming-chair.jpg

Going to save so much on buying new socks.   The chair will practically pay for itself. 

Whatever guys. I got a new Steam Deck gaming chair. I'm in the process of making the rest of the house roller-chair accessible now.

gaming-chair.jpg

Going to save so much on buying new socks. The chair will practically pay for itself.
Why stop there?

SMlv54b.jpg

That actually reminds me of one of my favorite 90s PC gaming ads for Quake III.

lhSFZL0.jpeg

Once I cut out everything from your post that wasn't a ridiculous straw-man, I was left with nothing left to respond to.
And yet... :lol:

The point remains the same: There is no need to create a PC game store just to get Fortnite money. They're already getting Fortnite money and getting Fortnite money directly doesn't require a PC game store. You saying "it's completely incumbent on them to do whatever they can within reason to push EGS as hard as they can to protect their Fornite profits from the hefty platform fees of third-party storefronts." was just silly, no matter how many caps you use or lines of "nothing to respond to" you tantrum out.

Epic was already an established company and platform with Fortnite. No one was saying "Holy shit, I had no idea FORTNITE was available until I went to Epic Game Store!"

The customer base Fortnite has dwarfs anything EGS is doing on its own. You're looking at it 100% backwards. In fact, the Apple lawsuit was about how Epic was routing customers to their own store from in-app to buy shit directly from them. Epic doesn't need a PC game store to do that.

Right. Because the only binary options for a multi-billion dollar company are "fully expansive PC game store" and "Geocities web site with a download link".

Again, you don't need a game store with 2,000 games for sale to sell Fortnite from your website or even have a client that's basically just Fortnite in case your customers don't understand download links. The idea that Fortnite needs a whole PC game store to survive is hilariously ridiculous.

Spotify is involved in a similar suit with Apple. And, like Epic, what they want is a way to accept payment directly through the app without Apple taking a cut. In the meantime, they require people who want to upgrade to premium to go to their website directly. What they DON'T need to do is open Spotify App Store with 2,000 different apps in order to get people to subscribe for Premium Spotify.
I bet everybody thought when Valve drummed-out Steam with Half-Life 2: "What the heck do we need a PC gaming client-app for? It's online-DRM! There's no other features here!"

Yet, Steam laughed and kept adding features galore and had tons of sales over the years & made it so easy for players do download, install, update, connect in matches w/ games w/ your Friends on your Friends list (Steamworks), etc etc - and Valve became WAY more than just the company that made Half-Life 1 & 2. This even got some who pirate...to just stop pirating - if your version on Steam is the most updated and is the best version, why pirate?

Now, w/ Steam, their DRM'd client-app/account-based app (when used) got us all hooked. My Game Library, a lot of it now is tied Steam. Sure, I got other app's too - EGS, Origin, Battle.Net, Bethesda.Net, GOG Galaxy, etc etc - but a lot of my games are on Steam. I bought more than Half-Life from Valve; I've "bought" say some other 2000+ games that are now tied to their service.

They (Valve, once they dropped Steam) were no longer the developer, but also can be the publisher and/or distributor - cutting out a lot of the middle-men (i.e. retailers). Steam turned everything into a service, like how the cable companies did w/ TV for years...and now look we're we are at w/ that madness (where now many stations trying to go direct & cut-out the cable middle-men, as now they all have their own app's, services, etc etc - NetFlix showed them all the way).

And who was coming to the Steam Store, besides consumers? That's right - dev's & other publishers; so Valve became the middle-men by means of digital distribution...instead of Best Buy, GameStop, FuncoLand, EB Games, Circuit City, and any other brick & mortar retailer that you can think of. Literally, that cut out all of the manufacturing process of discs, CD/DVD cases, staff needed for this, etc etc - that whole old school process on PC went out the window. 2K, EA, UbiSoft, and numerous others came to Steam b/c Steam got so popular, even if Steam took 30% or so from sales. And it all began w/ one killer game and app: Half-Life 2.

Sure, HL1 was first on Steam and you could activate that up there - but I'd say HL2 was the one that really moved the needle on getting Steam into your PC.

Heck, EA needed more $ - so they even went back to Steam, after quitting years ago (over the DA2 and Crysis 2 DLC fiascos).

Now, Epic has their own store - and Epic's tossing $ at dev's, pub's, whoever...to join their "We only take 12% from you" party; and maybe even more incentives if also you, as a dev and/or pub, use Unreal Engine for your game.

Let's face it: Fortnite is INSANELY popular, whether we like it or not. And at some point, I'll bet - gamers will get sick of it; and/or want to move onto some other game. So, Epic now has a fallback plan and also a store, when gamers ditch Fortnite - as they also sell a decent amount of games. And now, some popular ones - whether we like that or not; and/or even some exclusives (World War Z). So, Joe Smoe or New Girl Jess (who's that girl? It's Jess!) who gets tired of Fortnite...don't have to really leave Epic's ecosystem, to go find sales and/or other deals; they can just stick w/ EGS.

And likely, NBA2K is popular as heck too. I'd bet, many casual gamers have both say Fortnite and NBA2K. Heck, 2K and EGS even gave NBA 2K21 away this year. With that good will, I do wonder when NBA 2K22 comes, if some gamers will just buy it from Epic on Day 1 for $60-120 (for whatever edition's out). We, as CAG's might be cheap and try to obtain every game and/or deal - but does every Casual Joe and Jess Smoe do this? I'd say....eh, probably not.

Let's face it: Epic's trying to be the new Steam. Whether they succeed or not at that, that's another story entirely. Whether they surpass Steam, who knows - I'd guess: probably not anytime soon. But they do have a killer app there for the consumer (i.e. Fortnite); and they do have their Unreal Engine (which is attractive to dev's and pub's) and do like to toss $ at dev's to go exclusive and/or have that 12% cut (topping Steam's 30%).

Money talks.

EDIT:

And yet... :lol:

The point remains the same: There is no need to create a PC game store just to get Fortnite money. They're already getting Fortnite money and getting Fortnite money directly doesn't require a PC game store. You saying "it's completely incumbent on them to do whatever they can within reason to push EGS as hard as they can to protect their Fornite profits from the hefty platform fees of third-party storefronts." was just silly, no matter how many caps you use or lines of "nothing to respond to" you tantrum out.
I think it's more than just getting that Fortnite money. They want EVEN MORE $ than just Fortnite $. There's gamers like me, who won't even touch Fortnite; no real interest in it. How are they getting someone like me into their Ecosystem? Well, it's their EGS Store; that's how, as I want games!

Sure, I do take their EGS freebies - but I will also buy games from them, if the price is right (i.e. dirt-cheap or tossing $10 off coupon to sweeten a deal) and/or if their version lacks DRM. Sure, I'm cheap - but how many others are buying regular core games like Metro Exodus or Shenmue 3 when they're exclusive and expensive on that store? How many gamers still Pre-Order or Day 1 a lot of their games?

Plus, they are trying to keep people in their EGS eco-system - like what Steam's doing; especially w/ say the Steam Deck.

But once that Steam Deck drops and once players get Windows installs onto the Deck and/or get Linux on the Deck - in which both OS's both can install EGS - yeah, that's going to be HUGE. You'll be able to take Steam and EGS everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more Gaming-based Linux flavors come out w/ say many of the big game client-app's pre-installed like say w/ EGS and Steam - gamers would love that stuff.

Plus, they are trying to keep people in their EGS eco-system - like what Steam's doing; especially w/ say the Steam Deck.

But once that Steam Deck drops and once players get Windows installs onto the Deck and/or get Linux on the Deck - in which both OS's both can install EGS - yeah, that's going to be HUGE. You'll be able to take Steam and EGS everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more Gaming-based Linux flavors come out w/ say many of the big game client-app's pre-installed like say w/ EGS and Steam - gamers would love that stuff.
Hah, that is 3-5 years away at least. Maybe Win11 requiring 2018+ cpu's will push more to Linux and help adoption. The only linux version of EGS you're going to get in the near future is the 3rd party command line one (Legendary) or the GUI one (Heroic Games Launcher) that is out there for Win, mac and Linux. That and I have no faith that Epic is competent or capable of making a decent linux client for their games that could run in linux. Epic is clearly not putting much money in the backend but in game exclusives and lawsuit costs against Apple/Google.

It's weird they don't include LSL4 on their bundles too... also missing from steam... Must be some rights issues.

I did ruin it. Didn't notice the winky face. LOL.
Don't feel bad. I was about to let them have it, too. "OMG u kids, there is no 4, wtf yo!" That was a very hidden wink, and invisible if you're reading the e-mail digest (or not clicking things).

Wasn't there something similar with Space Quest I believe showing games that never existed? I haven't really played that series though. LSL I've played the first and the newer ones, but never these older ones since they were too adult for me when they came out. I'd probably pull out my hair trying to play the older ones without using the guide now and then. That's pretty true for many older adventure games and even some newer. I try not to just follow a guide though (might as well not be playing the game then).

Wasn't there something similar with Space Quest I believe showing games that never existed? I haven't really played that series though. LSL I've played the first and the newer ones, but never these older ones since they were too adult for me when they came out. I'd probably pull out my hair trying to play the older ones without using the guide now and then. That's pretty true for many older adventure games and even some newer. I try not to just follow a guide though (might as well not be playing the game then).
You might be remembering SQ4 which had Roger time traveling to scenes from previous SQ games as well as "future" SQ games e.g. SQ X and XII. Otherwise, there were six SQ games with no skipped titles like LSL. SQ7 was in development in 1997 but eventually canceled.

The LSL games do get better as they go along, in general. LSL 3 and 7 are the best ones. 6 is very good. 5 and 1 are good. 2 is a bit of a mess, having way too many ways to die or get stuck in a dead end.

Lego Batman 2   D4JBL-EQ*HL-FMAKM

Lego Batman 3   G7FX4-9RNYK-G7V*H

* is George Brett's jersey number

LEGO Ninjago Movie Video Game  HV*E0-NPB*M-7Z47*
* is Alexander Ovechkin's jersey number

I actually got inspired by Indiegala giving away the Leisure Suit Larry games so I decided to play Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded.

First of all even though this is a remake of the original game and uses an action system for choosing stuff instead of the original typing out commands. This still feels very antiquated with the right click switching actions, the clicking and holding to get a radial of actions, and finally hovering near the top of the screen to get all the actions all being clunky. I mainly used the right clicking to switch actions, but it sucked still. These actions include interacting with something, licking or smelling something, unzipping (this is Leisure Suit Larry after all), moving, item storage and talking. I believe this follows the original quite a bit with some modern things added like some of the dialogue feeling a bit more modern. Honestly it's an old school feeling adventure game through and through.

Honestly I liked it enough, but I felt things held it back. First of all it was annoying to sometimes click things and I would often misclick things trying to interact with items on the screen.  The hit box for some would just not match the annoyingly large hand icon. Talking has choices for the ladies only and is entertaining. The game has some very hit and miss comedy, but I was enjoying myself for the most part. Now a part that is annoying is getting around locations by cab ride. You have a limited amount of money you use for other things in game and must pay for cab rides as well. You have to grind out money on slot machines or blackjack at the casino. I recommend save scumming at blackjack and betting the max every time. This is unnecessary junk that artificially lengthens the game. This remake seems to add extra stuff to make things more annoying for sure. Some puzzles move along extremely slowly if they require multiple parts. Overall it feels like an OK remake, but still feels very old school as well. 

I feel the graphics for this remake were very clean. Larry looked excellent and the areas were well detailed. The characters looked good for the most part, but some look a bit strange. The music is very alright and there is even a jukebox at the first bar that can play different music. The voice acting is very good and I don't remember any truly weak voices. These are all improvements over the original for sure. I also like the throwback Larry theme in the main menu.

Overall I think this game is OK. It feels very dated now in gameplay and comedy, but provides some laughs. Some of the puzzles are very annoying and I admit I used a guide for about 35-40% of the game. Most of the time I used it to hint me where to go and I tried to figure out things once I got there because of the awful taxi system. I played for about 3 hours and 36 minutes with some idling there when I had something to do. These games are bundled so often, though I believe they do the original and VGA remake instead of this version. Overall dated but okay enough fun. 6/10

someone will be along shortly to tell you that it's overrated.

they only got 30 hours out of their 10-dollar game.
I cringe to think about how much time I put into Binding of Isaac and I'm starting to worry that I could put a similar amount into this. I actually hope I get sick of it soon, but right now it just keeps getting better.

Same here. I've been playing it on Game Pass for the last few weeks. I've already completed like 30 runs at this point. LOL
38 for me. At this point I'm just hoping the story elements wrap up soon and maybe that will break the addiction. The problem is I'm starting to love all the different weapons so I just keep cycling through them and it never seems to get old, especially with all the different variants. It definitely lives up to the hype for me.

Sure glad I bought this 3080ti and new Ultrawide monitor so I could get hooked on a game that really pushes them to their limit!

What's the best deal on a Game Pass subscription right now?
(Note: This all assumes you aren't already a subscriber)

- Got a Costco membership? If so, buy (3) 12-month subs over there for $55 each, then convert to Game Pass Ultimate for $15 (or $1 if you haven't subbed before). Works out to $166-180 for three years. Just be sure to disable recurring billing (which might add a free month) each time you redeem a code since I don't believe you can have more than 36 months of Gold at a given time, and that would make redeeming the final 12-month code an issue. Side-note: Costco used to carry 24-month subs for $95 but it looks like they're OOS right now. No idea if they plan to bring them back at all.

- Not a Costco member? You can either get full-priced $60 12-month XBL Gold codes or wait for the inevitable $50 deal at Newegg (a monthly occurrence at this point). Then convert to GPU.

bread's done
Back