Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
(Note: This all assumes you aren't already a subscriber)

- Not a Costco member? You can either get full-priced $60 12-month XBL Gold codes or wait for the inevitable $50 deal at Newegg (a monthly occurrence at this point). Then convert to GPU.
Am dum, plz explain. Cause at $5/mo I'm pulling the trigger.

Am dum, plz explain. Cause at $5/mo I'm pulling the trigger.
1. Buy up to three 12-month XBL Gold codes.

2. Redeem them one-by-one here while signed in to your Microsoft account.

3. Each time you redeem a code, be sure to decline recurring billing if they offer it.

4. You should now have 36 months of XBL Gold.

5. Go here to convert your 36 months of Gold to Game Pass Ultimate at the current conversion rate (which as of today is still 1:1)

6. If you haven't had GPU before, it should cost only $1 to convert. So you end up paying $181 (+ tax) for 36 months of Game Pass Ultimate.

7. Optional: Turn off recurring billing if they enabled it on you.

5. Go here to convert your 36 months of Gold to Game Pass Ultimate at the current conversion rate (which as of today is still 1:1)
You sure? Because the FAQ only goes up to 24 months but it converts for considerably less:

Token says… You get…
1 month of Gold 20 days of Ultimate
3 months of Gold 50 days of Ultimate (1+ month)
6 months of Gold 79 days of Ultimate (2+ months)
12 months of Gold 4 months of Ultimate
24 months of Gold 8 months of Ultimate

Unless I'm missing something which is entirely possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure? Because the FAQ only goes up to 24 months but it converts for considerably less:

Token says… You get…
1 month of Gold 20 days of Ultimate
3 months of Gold 50 days of Ultimate (1+ month)
6 months of Gold 79 days of Ultimate (2+ months)
12 months of Gold 4 months of Ultimate
24 months of Gold 8 months of Ultimate
Unless I'm missing something which is entirely possible.
You are. You're looking at the conversion ratio if you're buying XBL Gold codes and redeeming them on an account that's already an Ultimate subscriber. Also, in your example it's just listing the different kinds of XBL Gold cards you can find at the store. What the other poster is saying is to buy 3 12-month XBL Gold cards, and redeem them separately. When you upgrade your XBL Gold account to a Game Pass Ultimate account, Microsoft just does a 1:1 conversion from Gold to GPU. Any Gold, EA Play, and regular and PC game pass codes redeemed once converted to a Game Pass Ultimate account will redeem at whatever they're worth, instead of 1:1.

As for why they say to get 3 12-month XBL Gold codes, it's because Game Pass Ultimate only lets you stack 3 years. So if you get a free month for turning on recurring billing after redeeming the first or second code, the third one won't redeem because you'll have 37 months instead of 36, and you'll have to wait a month.

Hey guys, just thought I’d share this inspiring story of a former iBanker who is using his children to mine cryptocurrency during their summer break … my heart hasn’t been this warmed since I watched all those little kids learning critical job skills in the mine from Temple of Doom …

https://apple.news/AmFbxWO9SQre1ems0yypJzw
I feel sad, but the saddest part is that my sorrow is mostly because they make way more money than me and probably always will when I'd be satisfied with bare bones. There is a reason I'm a cheapass...

Freelancer: HD Edition mod.

Some modder went & did a HD upgrade (of textures, sound effects, etc), gameplay improvements, fixes, & put a bunch of patches together for the classic Freelancer (to be an all-in-one patch).

DSoG on the news - https://www.dsogaming.com/mods/freelancer-hd-edition-is-a-graphical-overhaul-mod-that-is-available-for-download/

ModDB for this HD Upgrade Mod/Patch - https://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-hd-edition/news/freelancer-hd-edition-released
Might have to dig out the disk for this. Thanks for the heads up. This along with Knossos for Freespace and Tie Fighter conversion for X-Wing Alliance make for some great space flight sim times.

Given that Freelancer's now got this HD Mod, this would be a great time for Microsoft to re-release this onto GOG, Steam, and/or anywhere else...

Never played nor seen much gameplay -- are these basically Far Cry?
It's more platforming mixed with gunplay. Kind of like an Indiana Jones type story told in each game. I have enjoyed each of them a good deal.

I never played the old school Tomb Raiders but if you've played the recent trilogy you should know what to expect from Uncharted. The main difference for me is that the stories and characters in Uncharted are significantly more palatable and the overall presentation is second to none. That said, Naughty Dog games are basically like linear versions of Rockstar games in that the production values are unparalleled but the gameplay is joyless. The puzzles and platforming are okay, but I've always found the gunplay to be particularly abysmal. Firefights can't end soon enough, and that's true for every single game in the series. I may hate every character in Tomb Raider but at least I can skip the cutscenes and enjoy the gameplay. I typically finish an Uncharted game because they get me engaged in the story and settings and I just want to see what is next, even if playing feels like a chore after a while. With any luck these will get Ultrawide support because the environments will look amazing.

Never played nor seen much gameplay -- are these basically Far Cry?
Minus a few segments they play like a more vertical Gears of War do to the combat. (Which is mostly what you be doing.) There's also light platforming elements (nothing you need to be super skilled were you need perfect timing... if you fail a jump you're probably going the wrong way.) And puzzle elements. (Remember those old Tomb Raider levels were the whole level is one massive puzzle? Yeah, none of that. Puzzles make sense, few will confused a player for more than a minute.) And its all done with amazing product values.

Basically, its like playing a summer blockbuster instead of watching one.

I hope we see the MP components make it to PC.

You'll be totally lost what with missing all the important and intricate plot details that carry over from tile to title.
XS5LK.gif

Honestly looks less vomit-inducing than most of what Taco Bell sells.

I still haven't played FC1.
If you play FC1, you're doing it wrong. You start with FC3, think it's great so you pick up FC4 and bitch about how it's not 3 but it has elephants so that makes up for some of the disappointment. You then pick up FC: Primal and bitch about how it's not as good as FC4 and what the hell is with the ooga-booga dialog but it has a rideable sabretooth tiger so all is well. Then you pick up FC5 and bitch about how it's not as good as 4 which wasn't as good as 3 and why do I keep getting captured and well they really should have had a T-Rex to ride but they didn't so it just sucks period. Then you consider pre-ordering FC6 because it has the Los Pollos Hermanos guy in it and you hope you'll get to play Walter White riding a Megalodon but you probably won't so let's say it sucks right now and give it 1 out of 5 stars on Amazon...

wooo-ric-flair.gif

The only FC game I've played is Blood Dragon. I really liked it.

My favorite part was riding the Battle Dragon, but I'd have preferred to ride rcsample Wa1terSobchak's mom instead.

holy hell the ascent is a stuttery mess. i read some shit but didn't know it was this bad. i'm reading people with 3090's having problems so i guess it isn't a card thing, but an optimization thing. oh well, guess i'll cheat again in hades before my gamepass sub runs out. 

holy hell the ascent is a stuttery mess. i read some shit but didn't know it was this bad. i'm reading people with 3090's having problems so i guess it isn't a card thing, but an optimization thing. oh well, guess i'll cheat again in hades before my gamepass sub runs out.
in my experience, it settles down after half an hour of playing.

I still haven't played FC4.
I still haven't finished it. Bad-timing, tried right after FC3 and couldn't get into it there. I liked it - but it was more of the same to me.

I probably should play it soon, since FC6 is coming.

I already did finish FC5 and New Dawn, both within the last 2 years or so.

Similar issue to Psychonauts 2. Supposedly has something to do with shader compiling in DX12, so you get these noticeable hitches when you do certain things for the first time (blowing up barrels in The Ascent, attacking enemies in Psychonauts 2). One way around the worst of it is to force the game to run in DX11, but that's only an option if you have the game on Steam. The Ascent has a DX11 option on Game Pass but unless it was fixed in a recent patch, it's completely non-functional. I mentioned it before but I really wanted to like The Ascent more than I did. Stunning visuals and the gameplay is fun but everything surrounding it sucks away a lot of the enjoyment.

And re: Far Cry, every time I try to play one of those games I stop after 5 hours or less, meaning the only one I actually finished was Blood Dragon. The formula wears itself out way too quickly.

FC4 was hands-down best.  Cleaned up the FC3 mechanics, had two story paths between the ally choices, good antagonist

FC3 was good but everyone mainly remembers the first half with Vaas.  The second half starts to drag and the second boss is boring

FC5 has good mechanics and the world is interesting but fuck that kidnapping shit.  No game that interrupts your play six goddamn times in a row gets to place in the top tier.  Plus the religious stuff that felt like the writers watched The Seventh Sign on basic cable and figured that was good enough to make a Revelation-themed plot.

New Dawn was good since it was mainly FC5 game play without the FC5 kidnapping bullshit.

Primal was boring and I dipped out quickly.  Ooga-booga.

Blood Dragon was a ten minute joke stretched over too-many hours combined with an assault on my eyeballs.

FC2 was decent for its time and the annoying malaria mechanic almost feels tame compared to FC5's kidnapping for disrupting your game flow.

Never played FC1.  Or maybe I played it for ten minutes and dropped it because it's a janky old shooter.

All of the modern FC games need to drop the obligatory and obnoxious drug sequences.

re: Far Cry, every time I try to play one of those games I stop after 5 hours or less, meaning the only one I actually finished was Blood Dragon. The formula wears itself out way too quickly.
Ditto on that, although I never played Blood Dragon. Looks like it's $3.59 on Humble right now, might pick it up.

I have the opposite experience of many of you regarding Far Cry. I played Far Cry the year it was released and it was pretty amazing for its time. At least the first 2/3 of the game. The last bit got linear and a lot less fun;

I started Far Cry 2 several times but kept getting pissed off with the whole Malaria thing.

I've been collecting all of them without playing them for some reason.

So... skip ahead to 4 and try again?

So... skip ahead to 4 and try again?
If you were inclined to try a modern one, I would say 4. It smooths some of the issues with 3* while keeping the same overall theme and whatever issues 4 has (drug sequences, boo) are pretty endemic to all the FC games anyway so there's no avoiding them. I mean, you might still hate it but I think it's your best shot.

*Including both thematic issues (example: whiny, white savior protagonist) and mechanical issues (example: can avoid most annoying radio tower climbs if you want by just jacking a gyrocopter and flying to/near the top)

If you were inclined to try a modern one, I would say 4. It smooths some of the issues with 3* while keeping the same overall theme and whatever issues 4 has (drug sequences, boo) are pretty endemic to all the FC games anyway so there's no avoiding them. I mean, you might still hate it but I think it's your best shot.

*Including both thematic issues (example: whiny, white savior protagonist) and mechanical issues (example: can avoid most annoying radio tower climbs if you want by just jacking a gyrocopter and flying to/near the top)
Having finished 3 and at least parts of 4, I agree with this -- you aren't missing anything skipping to 4. 1 and 2 have their own unique charm but 4 is just a more polished 3. Not like people play these things for the story.

Update on my slowly unfolding mental breakdown.

It's been almost two months since I've moved into a new place and I think the frenzy is over and I am done making compulsive and unnecessary upgrades to my gaming situation. Today I swapped out the old 650W PSU in one of my builds and upgraded to 850W to accommodate the 3080ti. That PC is hooked up to my 2019 OLED strictly for 4K gaming, and I've got my main PC connected to the Ultrawide for more every day use. Here they are:

B0VRf0X.jpg

6RTDSdc.jpg

Now I just need to paint the window black so no light can get in and I'm set for life.

bread's done
Back