Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
The entire Star Wars franchise (Lucasfilm) was sold to Disney for $4 billion in 2012.

Zenimax (Bethesda) acquired by Microsoft for $7.5 billion in 2021

Microsoft pays ~$68.7 billion to acquire Activision-Blizzard in 2022. Just to give an idea of the scope on this thing.
Activision executive made out like a bandit and Microsoft is known to overpaid for companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire Star Wars franchise (Lucasfilm) was sold to Disney for $4 billion in 2012.

Zenimax (Bethesda) acquired by Microsoft for $7.5 billion in 2021

Microsoft is paying ~$68.7 billion to acquire Activision-Blizzard in 2022. Just to give an idea of the scope on this thing.
Inflation is worse than I thought

Now if only all bnet games could be converted to Steam keys for free or a minor discount.

I don’t know why, but waking up to read the Activision acquisition news made me oddly uneasy. I’m a Microsoft fan, but it doesn’t exactly seem like all of their acquired studios have thrived lately. Will be interesting to see how this impacts Blizzcon and WoW … wonder if we’ll finally see a console port.
How they treated their studios in the past gives me little confidence, but I don't care too much in the case of Actvision Blizzard since they had been on a downward slide for ages, anyway.

I also wonder what's Sony's next move.

Microsoft just gobbled up one of - if not THE - top AAA Publishers here. Who knows what games might or might not be Microsoft-Exclusive forever; or timed-exclusive for months to a year or 2 or so.

Does Sony maybe buy something big like say - Take-2? SEGA? Square Enix? EA? UbiSoft?
I hope they leave their hands off Square Enix and Sega. They can have EA if they want, though.

And the GamePass continues to consume content.

"You will own nothing and be happy"
But you can still buy the stuff that's on Game Pass. Microsoft will be thrilled to sell you a copy of Doom Eternal, if you'd like one. Game Pass just offers a different way to access it for people who don't give a shit about "owning" video games (as much as you can in this era of digital licenses).

But you can still buy the stuff that's on Game Pass. Microsoft will be thrilled to sell you a copy of Doom Eternal, if you'd like one. Game Pass just offers a different way to access it for people who don't give a shit about "owning" video games (as much as you can in this era of digital licenses).
I'm aware; they are happy creating FOMO with a sub service and sell you marginally discounted games.

Rather wait for a sale anywhere else than dealing with subscriptions. They're not exactly a great deal in the long run.

The Bethesda deal felt more impactful to me personally, but what do I know about contemporary gaming? I'm just an old man in a young girl's world.

CoD on game pass will be a game changer. And you better believe they will be exclusive to Xbox and PC now - MS didn't drop $70 billion to make games for its biggest competitor

With MS now owning the west and Nintendo owning Japan, it seems like Sony is getting squeezed out. Square-Enix might play ball for timed exclusives, but not complete exclusivity. And Atlus still loves Sony for some reason even though they shunned Japan, but even they're starting to put games on more platforms

CoD on game pass will be a game changer. And you better believe they will be exclusive to Xbox and PC now - MS didn't drop $70 billion to make games for its biggest competitor
I think they'll do whatever makes them the most money. It probably feels like a win either way to MS. They either get full blown exclusivity or Sony is going to have to allow them to have a major presence on their own console.

Rather wait for a sale anywhere else than dealing with subscriptions. They're not exactly a great deal in the long run.
Guess it depends on how you approach games. Most times I'm happy with one-and-done and don't need a bunch of digital detritus in my library after the fact to feel like I "own" something I'll never touch again. I've definitely come out ahead on my subscription, albeit that's a "Convert this and buy those shady codes" subscription that came out to a couple bucks a month for the next couple of years.

Guess it depends on how you approach games.
No, it's more an approach on how games would be developed and designed if subscription services would become the normal. We already know that the rise of subs, to include streaming, has impacted both video and music development, thus games would be no different.

Games that can be easily consumed within a subscription window would likely die off unless there's sustained proof that they can make more money being on a sub platform than standalone. Non-subsidized, to be clear, as "free money" goes away when market share dominance is reached.

Larger titles will either build to create gameloops that last longer than the sub window (thus forcing a purchase convert), create subscription limited versions (see Godfall on PSN+ this month), or vastly increase monetization schemes further (NFTs, ahoy!).

So if you're thinking it just from your pocket book stand point, yea, I guess it can be a good deal. For now. But in the long run, big picture, it's not great to absolutely awful.

These companies never do anything that's a "good deal" to you and I. They are legally required to hold the interest of shareholders as the highest regard, and the require continuous growth. Forever. They wouldn't be making and pushing subs if there wasn't some way to extract more gaming dollars from either more people (which has saturation limits) or more from people who do game (which has less limits).

So, no, I don't think CAGs should be for subs. Short sighted completely.

We already know that the rise of subs, to include streaming, has impacted both video and music development, thus games would be no different.
There's tons of great stuff created for streaming video services and my music collection has grown a lot with services like Spotify introducing me to artists/songs so... yay?

There's tons of great stuff created for streaming video services and my music collection has grown a lot with services like Spotify introducing me to artists/songs so... yay?
I suppose ask the people who create the stuff, the music artists, etc. how much they like it?

If you don't think subscriptions won't royally rip through game design more than other monetization schemes have, then dunno what else to tell you. To be clear, sub models have negatively impact those who work in the industry and what does/does not get greenlit onto them.

And if you're not on them, you don't exist.

And none of that really addresses the other points of how they scheme pricing and making sure they make record profits. Only $120 a year from their customers on subsidized hardware ain't gonna cut it.

"You will own nothing and like it."

Edit: To be clear, at least we have Steam that ensures it won't get dominance in the PC marketplace, for now. But I do believe that it's not great to be supporting. Been pretty right about how bad other monetization has got; you don't need to be an expert to determine these corps will do anything they can to squeeze a nickel more from you.

I suppose ask the people who create the stuff, the music artists, etc. how much they like it?
Well, otherwise I would have literally never heard of those artists or their music so "you have to have never heard the artists so they can be paid more" doesn't seem like a great structure. I get it, you seem very passionate about this. The arguments aren't really there though, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm NOT very passionate about it so I'll leave it there.

Well, otherwise I would have literally never heard of those artists or their music so "you have to have never heard the artists so they can be paid more" doesn't seem like a great structure. I get it, you seem very passionate about this. The arguments aren't really there though, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm NOT very passionate about it so I'll leave it there.
I mean, you didn't really address the meat of the argument. I can agree that GamePass has brought some value to some indies because curation has value (see, Steam... SEE?!), but otherwise, that still doesn't mean it won't change how games are or will be made, just like it has to video and music.

Your point just continues to iterate that "I found one small positive, but continue to ignore the massive negatives." It's short sighted, as I said.

But I guess caring about people, how things are made, and what not is all "passion" these days. That's how we get the Bobby Koticks of the world, by not caring.

With MS now owning the west and Nintendo owning Japan, it seems like Sony is getting squeezed out. Square-Enix might play ball for timed exclusives, but not complete exclusivity. And Atlus still loves Sony for some reason even though they shunned Japan, but even they're starting to put games on more platforms
Nintendo doesn’t own Japan … I think there are two Tiers of the gaming world in Japan and Sony is still in control of the more mature gaming market. In Japan Nintendo has the same appeal as Disney, but without Disney’s ability to use other internally owned brands to fully market to adult audiences.

I could see Sony acquiring Square-Enix and maybe Sega to boost their exclusives. What will be really crazy is when Apple buys Nintendo … 😉

I mean, you didn't really address the meat of the argument.
I don't think you understand how this stuff works. I don't care if you use Game Pass therefore I'm not going to put any real energy into convincing you that it's swell or trying to refute fantasy hypotheticals about how the gaming world is in peril and we'll never have 15hr games again. You're trying to convince people NOT to use Game Pass so the onus is on you to present a convincing argument. One convincing to the Game Pass subscriber, not one where you say "DOOM! DOOM!!" then lamely try to guilt anyone who didn't think that was especially convincing with "I guess I'm the only one who cares, man!".

If your goal as to tell yourself that you won an internet argument then mission accomplished, I guess. If your goal was convincingly express that sub services are awfulbad and should be avoided then not so much. My goal was just to say "This argument doesn't really make sense" and I've done that and it doesn't seem as though you're going to make it make sense so whatever.

You actually haven't even framed how the argument "doesn't make sense."  I even provided real examples, such as time-limited games on the service (to increase FOMO and/or encourage purchases on top of sub fees), games designed to be mere fractions of complete titles (Godfall: Challenger Edition on PS+ this month), and additional monetization schemes for reoccuring spending to further increase (see pretty much any first party Microsoft game these days, etc.).

These are real things, happening now.  Do you really think $15/month is going to both replace the direct dollar cost purchase of these games and create more annual revenue without something else to encourage more spending?   If you don't believe that to happen, it's literally against the basis of a for-profit company. 

Thus, revenue and profits must go up.  You either decrease costs through further developer exploitation and/or increase revenues from customers.  They got exploitation down pretty good these days (you can even fart in their faces and still get promoted!), which means these subs and "free stuff" are loss leading market entry tactics that will ratchet up in price later.

And if you think these are "doomsaying," well I guess call me Cassandra.  Or perhaps someone who's read a history book or two and studied economics and perhaps knows how this will play out if history is our guide.

Your argument makes sense, too.  It just remains short sighted and self-centered; it's "I got mine," and to which I say, yes, that's the perspective Microsoft wants you to have based upon loss leading market entry tactics.

They aren't selling a digital-only Xbox Series S for farts and giggles.

But it's just about "internet arguments" not about an hobby I've had for 30 years being monetized and commodified to death.  Can't be that...  In the mean time, do you want some Poopisoft NFTs and some WATA-graded sealed games?

Games that can be easily consumed within a subscription window would likely die off unless there's sustained proof that they can make more money being on a sub platform than standalone. Non-subsidized, to be clear, as "free money" goes away when market share dominance is reached.
then why does microsoft keep adding indie games that can be beaten in less than 5 hours? so far subscription services seemed good for shorter games because you no longer have to think "oh man, $20 for a 5 hour game?", you already have access to it so just play it

I'm waiting for pizza NFTs. Too often have I had to fight soccer moms for the last DiGiorno when they go on sale with member coupon at my local grocery store. Too many times have I had to fight other basement dwellers for the last slice of hot sausage pizza at a Cici's buffet.

Cici's. They lure you in with their low buffet cost, but nobody mentions the prices of drinks and the dangers of wet floors due to grease and back sweat!

then why does microsoft keep adding indie games that can be beaten in less than 5 hours? so far subscription services seemed good for shorter games because you no longer have to think "oh man, $20 for a 5 hour game?", you already have access to it so just play it
Loss leading market entry tactics. It's the exact same thing that was touted in the early days of the Switch online store, being the indie darling, and you hear and see none of that these days because saturation is likely to catch up.

It's nothing new, just making it seem like it is to folks. There's a reason Microsoft is so incredibly aggressive with loss leading as they know the eventual payout is crazy. Just like Epic isn't stupid for their massive rounds of free games to build a user base of new, younger gamers that will see Epic as the place to be over "stodgy, old Steam; that's for grandpa."

Also, there have long been solutions to "$20 for a 5 hour game?" that aren't subs. It's like there wasn't an entire gaming platform that would become the market dominant player and spawn years long posts on deals subs because of the value it offered.

Also, there have long been solutions to "$20 for a 5 hour game?" that aren't subs. It's like there wasn't an entire gaming platform that would become the market dominant player and spawn years long posts on deals subs because of the value it offered.
Ya, getting the game for $2 from humble. which also has the same "this isnt sustainable" problem as a subscription service.

I bet you nerds love the $10 Taco Bell subscription, too.

https://twitter.com/tacobell/status/1479105481759207424

Nintendo doesn’t own Japan … I think there are two Tiers of the gaming world in Japan and Sony is still in control of the more mature gaming market. In Japan Nintendo has the same appeal as Disney, but without Disney’s ability to use other internally owned brands to fully market to adult audiences.

I could see Sony acquiring Square-Enix and maybe Sega to boost their exclusives. What will be really crazy is when Apple buys Nintendo … 😉
I mean have you looked at Japan sales lately? I think it was last month, the Switch literally outsold the PS5/4 over 100 to 1, and the top 30+ games were all Switch games. Nintendo owns Japan, period

And if you think these are "doomsaying," well I guess call me Cassandra. Or perhaps someone who's read a history book or two and studied economics and perhaps knows how this will play out if history is our guide.
"oh no, dev/publisher is doing something I don't like"

Ya'll got 2k game backlogs that if you started playing now you might actually finish before Elder Scrolls 6 releases. Or sit on an internet forum pontificating about shit you are literally powerless to change.

Ya, getting the game for $2 from humble. which also has the same "this isnt sustainable" problem as a subscription service.
Never claimed it wasn't. Perhaps $20, 5 hour long games are not sustainable at all.

Ya'll got 2k game backlogs that if you started playing now you might actually finish before Elder Scrolls 6 releases. Or sit on an internet forum pontificating about shit you are literally powerless to change.
While true, it doesn't change the circumstances. Two things can be right! :D

I was going to jump in earlier, but I wasn't trying to start an argument with you. But you'd be surprised how much money some of us make with our video game investments. Things like this were purchased for $299 just a year and half ago. I have multiple games listed for $200+ currently. You simply have to know what to buy and be willing to part with some things.

We're not all Gamestop bums jumping through hoops for $3 at a time. Buying certain editions are absolutely an investment as long as you know what to buy. Such as Zelda collector's editions. We collect physical for a reason. Plus I only buy the stuff I really like.

Collecting isn't for you; that's fine. But you seem quite intolerant of it and don't really seem to understand why so many people do it. It can fund an entire year of new games, and even pay for new consoles or hardware.

You actually haven't even framed how the argument "doesn't make sense." I even provided real examples, such as time-limited games on the service (to increase FOMO and/or encourage purchases on top of sub fees), games designed to be mere fractions of complete titles (Godfall: Challenger Edition on PS+ this month), and additional monetization schemes for reoccuring spending to further increase (see pretty much any first party Microsoft game these days, etc.).

These are real things, happening now. Do you really think $15/month is going to both replace the direct dollar cost purchase of these games and create more annual revenue without something else to encourage more spending? If you don't believe that to happen, it's literally against the basis of a for-profit company.

Thus, revenue and profits must go up. You either decrease costs through further developer exploitation and/or increase revenues from customers. They got exploitation down pretty good these days (you can even fart in their faces and still get promoted!), which means these subs and "free stuff" are loss leading market entry tactics that will ratchet up in price later.

And if you think these are "doomsaying," well I guess call me Cassandra. Or perhaps someone who's read a history book or two and studied economics and perhaps knows how this will play out if history is our guide.

Your argument makes sense, too. It just remains short sighted and self-centered; it's "I got mine," and to which I say, yes, that's the perspective Microsoft wants you to have based upon loss leading market entry tactics.

They aren't selling a digital-only Xbox Series S for farts and giggles.

But it's just about "internet arguments" not about an hobby I've had for 30 years being monetized and commodified to death. Can't be that... In the mean time, do you want some Poopisoft NFTs and some WATA-graded sealed games?
Yep. Netflix subs went up in price yesterday and Xbox Live Gold was $59.99 (retail msrp) only a couple of years ago.

I know exactly what you are saying in regards to soulless game development and subscription services. Companies start developing revenue streams surrounding games instead of the other way around. Then suddenly you're Konami.

I mean have you looked at Japan sales lately? I think it was last month, the Switch literally outsold the PS5/4 over 100 to 1, and the top 30+ games were all Switch games. Nintendo owns Japan, period
Part of that is supply chain related, but yes the sales have also been lower than the US and Europe. Wait until a new Dragon Quest game that’s PS5 exclusive comes out … the Japanese will be knocking down the door to get one. Nintendo is cheaper, older technology … of course it will sell well. I wonder if the Steam Deck will have an impact on portable console sales if it’s a strong contender out of the gate.

Probably won’t sell as well in Japan, but I’ll be curious to see how it does since Japan tends to love smaller, portable tech. I remember long long ago when a Japanese delegation visited my high school in the early 2000s and one of the guys had a laptop that was a quarter of the size of what was standard in the US at that time. Blew me away how compact it was, tiny keyboard and all.

Steam and other services will probably shut down first before Elder Scrolls 6 releases. ;) Also meaning, many of those 2K game backlogs laced with DRM...just went up in smoke.

Might have to increase my GOG Catalogue (provided they keep games DRM-FREE), w/ the way this all is going. ;)

EDIT - As if all of these subscription services weren't enough to kill the actual game-ownership thing, well...I wonder when the first real successful game-streaming only service similar to an OnLive or Stadia will actually really work & occur. It's inevitable.

DRM-schemes and Steam (and all of them Steam wannabe's) pretty much already murdered PC Gaming's 2nd hand market.

World of Warcraft/Minecraft crossover expansion coming soon.  Final raid boss is a giant creeper who is revealed to be behind everything in-universe.  I hope they clean house at Activision in a major way so it is not such an awful company to work for and actually do something good with the IPs but too many rich scumbags are going to get even richer from this for me to really see it as a net positive even then.  It is hard to care one way or the other about massive corporations buying up other massive corporations.  Nor do I care if the future is all-digital and all streaming.  Nor do I really care if a giant asteroid impacts the earth sometime in the next century.   At least that would get rid of social media.

World of Warcraft/Minecraft crossover expansion coming soon. Final raid boss is a giant creeper who is revealed to be behind everything in-universe.
RareZigzagChevrotain-max-1mb.gif

Collecting isn't for you; that's fine.  But you seem quite intolerant of it and don't really seem to understand why so many people do it.  It can fund an entire year of new games, and even pay for new consoles or hardware.
Remember when Toys R Us and other stores were clearancing out Sega Saturn games for $5 each back in the 90's? Many of those can sell for a few hundred each now. Smart people who invested in physical games back then can now buy a luxury car and have a down payment for a house if they bought the right titles. It's funny how others laughed at them for buying "junk" then and called those games worthless. The same people are jealous and buying scratched disc only copies of some of those games for $100-$200 each. It's also funny how those same people will complain when their game is one day late when back then it would take a month (if you were lucky) to get a brand new Sega Saturn game in the mail. And if the box was cracked you didn't care, you were just thankful to be able to get games delivered to your house in the winter.

I don't know which way the gaming industry is headed and I have no influence over it, so I don't really care. I will say this though: as someone who enjoys owning my games, I'm more interested in Gamepass now than ever. If Microsoft wants to make it the Netflix of gaming, then fine. 

Gamepass is a little less convenient than accessing my gaming library through Steam, but if it provides a steady stream of new things to try, then that provides value to me. I'm buying stuff selectively, and very infrequently is it brand new stuff at full price. Just like I don't see a lot of movies in a theater and I'm certainly not buying them, but I'll pay Netfilx a flat fee every month to try some of theirs. 

As to where it's heading... who knows? I mean, they stream other media and still there's a market for sales. And any type of game -- lengthy games, perhaps -- that there's a market for, someone will make it. If enough people don't like Microsoft's practices, they'll go somewhere else to get what they want. Look at movie streaming... there are a half dozen or more major tv/movie streaming services.

None of it strikes me as anything to be particularly stressed about.

I think Game Pass can be great for its uses. For people won't don't care about owning stuff - well, Microsoft's got a crazy library on their side to check out; go check it out - a great way to access tons of games now.

Especially a great way to play expensive games early (No Man's Sky still hasn't hit $10 or less!) and get some games done. Was a great way to check out NMS and see - "So, is it any good? Have they finally improved it?"

Game Pass made me confirm (at that time) - Oh yeah, Fallout 76 really is all kinds of "meh."

If you're a paying member, it's as simple as "Go check it out." For a lot of Day 1 Titles and especially Microsoft-published stuff (The Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 5, etc), this is a great way to get an early jump on certain games and/or get some games done ASAP. Also great for testing games you'd likely never spend big $ on; it's on Game Pass, so...go check it out now; why not?

Also, you could be looking on Game Pass for something to play, to get your $'s worth for the month on Game Pass - and find something you play now b/c it's on Game Pass, instead of say you would've bought it way later and backlogged forever or something. Also great for trying games that you'd never give the time of day otherwise.

Game Pass often makes me want to play as much as I can in a month, too - making me be more active to actually play games....b/c I know I feel that I want to get stuff done within that month, in case I plan to cancel Game Pass soon.

I don't think I would've played The Avowed or State of Mind so early, if it wasn't for Game Pass.

I probably would've bought Wasteland 3 and The Outer Worlds by now from Fanatical or Humble Store or somewhere, if I didn't play it already on Game Pass - instead, I'll just wait 'til they get dirt-cheap or wind up or something, so I can "own" them. [shrug]

Might've even thought of buying The Ascent since it's on sale on Gamersgate - but eh, I don't really feel the need to buy that ASAP, since I did check it out already. Maybe later, I'll grab that one, once it's cheap or bundled - especially since I didn't finish the game either.

I would again say that games are unique, unlike movies or music, that they adapt to the means in which they are played and distributed.

Unlike music or movies, which are structurally basic and follow centuries-old (if not millenia-old) structures for narrative and composure.  Obviously digital stuffs and technology made them better, but a two hour long movie today is similar to one 60 years ago, just more lens flares and product placement.

Games, however, have adapted to their medium of delivery based upon the technologies available.  Arcades influenced design structures of games to eat quarters.  Early home console games followed that, but later adapted to provide more unique experiences.  Same with transitioning to new technologies, as better visuals and simulations provided more potential for ways to play.

But the delivery method played a large part; the fifth generation is proof of that in the stark disparity between the N64, limited by expensive cartridges, and the PS1, popping off with discs.

So too did download delivery change, allowing for more smaller titles to proliferate and spread.

Thus, so too will subscription (and streaming) models change games for better, or arguably, for worse.  You can in theory, disagree, but that would be against both historical precedent and our understanding of the modern video games market, which will take advantage of any nascent technology to turn a buck (i.e. Ubisoft and NFTs...).

So say what you will, but I hope I'm wrong.  But unless something drastically changes, it's not gonna be a fun ride.

You will own nothing and be happy.

This is what we all get for not buying more games on GOG (and Desura).

TBH I'm mostly checked out of gaming these days. Not enough time, energy, or even interest. Haven't used GamePass before. I was an early adopter of rcsample Wa1terSobchak's Game Ass, however. Got my money's worth from that.

Pros and cons to both sides of this debate. Ultimately I think this is simply an inevitability of where the gaming industry has been trending for the last decade or more.

I might be more nervous if I still played any Blizzard games regularly given how these buy outs usually go but meh. The second I have to tie in my Blizzard account though to anything MS account wise....I'm gone for good.

bread's done
Back