Steam Deals Thread V11 ~ Let's move along, people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Seemed about time for a new thread, so here it is. Welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V11!

Daily Deal
Luftrausers - $9.99 $5.99

Yesterday's Deal
Metro: Last Light Complete Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Metro 2033 - $14.99 $3.74

Weekend Deals
Europa Universalis IV - $39.99 $9.99
Europa Universalis IV Extreme Edition - $44.99 $11.24 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis III Collection - 39.99 9.99
Europa Universalis III Complete - 14.99 3.74 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition - 9.99 2.49
PAYDAY 2 - 29.99 9.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
PAYDAY™ The Heist - 14.99 4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]

Midweek Madness
Audiosurf 2 - $14.99 $8.99
Audiosurf - $9.99 $2.49
XCOM Complete - $49.99 $24.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]
Painkiller Complete Pack - $69.99 $13.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]

Weeklong Deals
Pool Nation - $9.99 $1.49
Booster Trooper - $4.99 $0.74
Zeno Clash - $9.99 $1.99
Thunder Wolves - $9.99 $1.99
Alien Breed™ Trilogy - $22.99 $11.49 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Two Worlds II - $19.99 $4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne - $14.99 $3.74
Titan Quest - $14.99 $3.74
Sine Mora - $9.99 $2.49
Primal Carnage - $14.99 $3.74
Mirror's Edge™ - $19.99 $4.99
Hard Truck Apocalypse / Ex Machina - $7.99 $1.99
Guncraft - $14.99 $3.74
Expeditions: Conquistador - $19.99 $4.99
Alien Spidy - $9.99 $2.49
Violett - $9.99 $2.99
Dark Matter - $14.99 $4.49
Survivor Squad - $8.99 $2.96
Victoria II - $19.99 $6.79
Star Trek - $14.99 $5.09
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition - $14.99 $5.09
Tiny Troopers - $4.99 $2.49
Spate - $9.99 $4.99
SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Litil Divil - $9.99 $4.99
Last Dream - $9.99 $4.99
KickBeat Steam Edition - $9.99 $4.99
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
Dead Space Pack - $34.99 $8.74 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Earthworm Jim Collection - $19.99 $9.99
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension - $34.99 $17.49
Desert Thunder - $9.99 $4.99
Construction Machines 2014 - $14.99 $7.49
Tower of Guns - $14.99 $8.24
PlayClaw - Game Video Recorder - $49.99 $29.99
Vox - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure II (Obscure: The Aftermath) - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure - $6.99 $5.24
Action Indie Pack - $14.99 $1.49
Geneforge Saga - $19.99 $3.99

Miscellaneous Deals (end time varies)
Cloudbuilt - $19.99 $9.19
Titan Quest Gold - $19.99 $4.99
Football Manager 2014 - $49.99 $12.5
Dracula Trilogy - $19.99 $9.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
The Wolf Among Us - $24.99 $16.74
MXGP - $39.99 $25.19
FX Eleven - $19.99 $9.99
Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 - $39.99 $19.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - $14.99 $6.00

Thread under construction, more to be added shortly...

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT:

Nope, I actually typed this from home.

And, as I've said before recently - I type what I think and I type very fast. What you see, is what I think.
No, I meant, do you actually have a job, do you write in a similar manner there, and if so, what do you do for a living.

edit: Inquiring minds want to know.

So, I'm about 65% through the main campaign of BS:I and am pretty much enjoying it.  Decided to play ME Vanguard style using Charge + melee/shotgun; next time through I may go Adept style with Plasmid Vigor projectile spam.  However, I will say that anyone familiar with FPS games and/or the Bioshock series is probably better off playing on Hard difficulty initially.  On Medium thus far, it's been pretty much a cakewalk.  I think my next playthrough will leapfrog Hard and go straight to 1999 mode. 

So, I'm about 65% through the main campaign of BS:I and am pretty much enjoying it. Decided to play ME Vanguard style using Charge + melee/shotgun; next time through I may go Adept style with Plasmid Vigor projectile spam. However, I will say that anyone familiar with FPS games and/or the Bioshock series is probably better off playing on Hard difficulty initially. On Medium thus far, it's been pretty much a cakewalk. I think my next playthrough will leapfrog Hard and go straight to 1999 mode.
Glad you're enjoying BS:I - I thought it was fantastic.

Do you have the Season Pass?

Burial At Sea Ep 2 is pretty damn good.

Yo derick, u might wanna stop sharin pics of yourself all over cag, your scarin everyone with that creepy smile.
photo-thumb-456455.png

Glad you're enjoying BS:I - I thought it was fantastic.

Do you have the Season Pass?

Burial At Sea Ep 2 is pretty damn good.
I do have the Season Pass. Also, I can see why others say this is the weaker of the trilogy, but I really think it's just more of a tangent in story and gameplay than actually being "not as good" as the others. It plays similar to Mass Effect 3 in how the game combat has evolved. I love the addition of gear, of which I was unaware of, that has the effect of being able to craft different playstyles. Definitely having fun.

So, I'm about 65% through the main campaign of BS:I and am pretty much enjoying it. Decided to play ME Vanguard style using Charge + melee/shotgun; next time through I may go Adept style with Plasmid Vigor projectile spam. However, I will say that anyone familiar with FPS games and/or the Bioshock series is probably better off playing on Hard difficulty initially. On Medium thus far, it's been pretty much a cakewalk. I think my next playthrough will leapfrog Hard and go straight to 1999 mode.
I like that when you're not playing mass effect you're pretending to play mass effect

I do have the Season Pass. Also, I can see why others say this is the weaker of the trilogy, but I really think it's just more of a tangent in story and gameplay than actually being "not as good" as the others. It plays similar to Mass Effect 3 in how the game combat has evolved. I love the addition of gear, of which I was unaware of, that has the effect of being able to craft different playstyles. Definitely having fun.
I disliked the game compared to the others, but it's not because it's not "faithful" to the originals or anything. It's just got several things wrong with it compared to the originals that lowered the quality for me (two gun limit, for example). I'm okay with Gear and the Vigors and that sort of stuff, but the problem with the Vigors is none of them were really as enjoyable as some of the plasmids in Bioshock 1 + 2.

Basically, I appreciated a different approach, but it felt like the approach went backwards rather than forwards.

Speaking of ME, I bought the Trilogy on Origin for $5, mainly because you go on about it all the time. So congrats, you've made another convert. :p

I'm not redeeming the code until I see next month's On The House promo though.

Have you never played ME?
Nope. Been holding out on a <$20 Trilogy for my 360. Was tempted by $7.50 price at Gamersgate the other day, but held off. I caved after seeing it available for $5 in the Steam/Origin trading thread (I'm assuming by someone who bought a bunch and had 0 demand for it).

... that lowered the quality for me (two gun limit, for example). ...
See, the two gun limit thing is perfect to me. I used to have a playstyle that was more JoAT based and if I still played that why, it might bother me. However, since I started really narrowing my characters abilities in all games (due in part to playing Skyrim about 50 times), I find having limits in games to be more enjoyable. I do kinda of wish the 'Bioshock' name was dropped from the title though. There's as much Bioshock in Infinite (DLC excluded) as there is System Shock in Bioshock. I mean mechanics are similar, underlying tones are similar, but it feels too much like a spin-off to share the same name.

Edit: And glad to hear you picked up the Trilogy. I'm biased, but it is an excellent franchise. And do yourself a favor, make a custom Shepard that isn't a soldier your first time through. Soldier has to be the most OP (i.e. boring) class in ME1. Save soldier for a later Insanity/speed run.

Nope. Been holding out on a <$20 Trilogy for my 360. Was tempted by $7.50 price at Gamersgate the other day, but held off. I caved after seeing it available for $5 in the Steam/Origin trading thread (I'm assuming by someone who bought a bunch and had 0 demand for it).
oh god. you need to drop whatever you're playing and start now...all three games are classics. also, regardless of price, the dlcs that are a must buy imho are kasumi, lair of the shadow broker, leviathan and citadel. Agree w/neuro about avoiding solidier class...all classes are fun, but being a tech or an adept is much more interesting.

Regarding BioShock: Infinite. I know a lot of people played it and gave up on the game or disliked it. I hope you'll at least try the two story DLC. It certainly made Infinite a little more palatable for me when I was finished. (still didn't love it, but hated it less)

oh god. you need to drop whatever you're playing and start now...all three games are classics. also, regardless of price, the dlcs that are a must buy imho are kasumi, lair of the shadow broker, leviathan and citadel. Agree w/neuro about avoiding solidier class...all classes are fun, but being a tech or an adept is much more interesting.
I'm sure going to ostracize myself by saying I have never been able to get into the Mass Effect series. Perhaps it was my mood when I played it -- I do not know. On paper, it looks like something I would enjoy:

- Science Fiction: check!

- Action/RPG: check!

- Semi-branching storylines: check!

I even loved Dragon Age which has a similar dialogue tree. But every time I started up Mass Effect I found myself bored by the dialogue (maybe too much dialogue?), bored by the action, and I just wanted to exit the game. I think I played a few hours into the first.

I know everyone loves it and it has all kinds of critical acclaim. Maybe I'll try again once I round up all of the DLC.

Regarding BioShock: Infinite. I know a lot of people played it and gave up on the game or disliked it. I hope you'll at least try the two story DLC. It certainly made Infinite a little more palatable for me when I was finished. (still didn't love it, but hated it less)

I'm sure going to ostracize myself by saying I have never been able to get into the Mass Effect series. Perhaps it was my mood when I played it -- I do not know. On paper, it looks like something I would enjoy:

I even loved Dragon Age which has a similar dialogue tree. But every time I started up Mass Effect I found myself bored by the dialogue (maybe too much dialogue?), bored by the action, and I just wanted to exit the game. I think I played a few hours into the first.

I know everyone loves it and it has all kinds of critical acclaim. Maybe I'll try again once I round up all of the DLC.
The first one starts off pretty slow, and there's definitely a lot of dialogue in the beginning, and most of the dialogue isn't all that interesting..."first human spectre, blah blah blah". If you get bored by the dialogue you can always skip it. The first one also has the worst action of the three. If you liked dragon age, I personally don't see how you couldn't like Mass Effect, unless you happened to only like dragon age because you love the call back to rpgs of yore in the pause action play.

I was the same. Maybe I played it too soon after DA:Origins or expected too much of a "DA:O In Space" but I slogged through the introduction and just had no motivation to keep playing. Tried ME 2 and it was the same.

Actually it's refreshing to hear from somebody else who doesn't fall over themselves when talking about a first entry in a BioWare RPG series. I played DA:O (I actually have three different wardens in it) and, while I enjoyed it, I found the experience far more lacking than most people seem to: it always felt like the combat dragged on too long during fighty parts, and dialogue dragged on too long during talky parts; not to mention the only character I liked was Shale (and, to a much lesser extent, Oghren).

Additionally, I feel almost the exact same way you do about Mass Effect, except about KoTOR. I love Star Wars, I generally think the combat gameplay in "modern" BioWare RPGs is pretty serviceable, and I like tabletop-style character building. In practice, though, the beginning at least just bored me to the point where I couldn't push on for more than a few hours. I should give it another honest shot at some point, but I'm kinda dreading going back through the beginning (and it's been long enough that I really should if I want to remember what's going on).

After playing Dark Forces for a bit I really want to grab the old Dooms.  I never owned them as a kid but would play them in drafting class.  When the teacher wasn't looking we'd pass around a 3.5 floppy and install.

Edit: And glad to hear you picked up the Trilogy. I'm biased, but it is an excellent franchise. And do yourself a favor, make a custom Shepard that isn't a soldier your first time through. Soldier has to be the most OP (i.e. boring) class in ME1. Save soldier for a later Insanity/speed run.
I'll remember that. Thanks.

Well, I'm not going to start until I clear all these Playfire rewards games this weekend. I also might not have the GPU for it. But I'll tell you this much, it'll be my first choice for a non-Playfire rewards game if it works. :p

Gonna also see if I can convince EA support to let me get access to the ME3 DLC on PC that I already have on 360.

Daily Deal
Doom 3: BFG Edition - $19.99 $4.99

Random Deals
Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition - $9.99 $4.99
Unreal Tournament 3 Black - $19.99 $9.99
Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor's Choice Edition - $14.99 $7.49
Unreal Gold - $9.99 $4.99
Unreal Deal Pack - $39.99 $19.99
Unreal 2: The Awakening - $14.99 $7.49
Guns of Icarus Online - $14.99 $3.74
Terraria - $9.99 $2.49
Jesus, between yesterday and today Steam is killing my wallet. First Dragon Age, then Darksiders DLC, and now Doom series and Terraria.

I've spent so much money this week on non-bundles (ME Trilogy, NBA 2K14, Sonic Collection, Serious Sam games in addition to the above) it's not even funny.

As much as I'd love to pull the trigger on Unreal, I'm gonna wait for the collection to hit 75% off again.

It's a recent thing that Steam's frontpage now highlights the Top Sellers tab instead of New releases, right? That makes it seem like they want to hide the fact that a lot of crap gets released every day.

I like the notion that there's a Dragon Age franchise sale on Steam when they only have the first game.

It's a recent thing that Steam's frontpage now highlights the Top Sellers tab instead of New releases, right? That makes it seem like they want to hide the fact that a lot of crap gets released every day.
Yep. I hope Enhanced Steam fixes that soon. Of those tabs it's not the first one that I'm interested in as someone who keeps up with Steam. I'd much rather see what's new or coming soon.

RE: Mass Effect.

The 1+2 bundle was one of my first sale purchases on Steam.  Took me about a year to get through those first few hours of Citadel jogging and dialogue before I realized there actually was fun shit to do if I just left and didn't inspect every goddamned inch.  Still have trouble on subsequent playthroughs getting through that initial "collect all the missions" slog.  I usually get an hour or two into it and then go play ME3 multiplayer instead.  Haven't even touched all the new DLC I picked up during Amazon's Farewell Sale.

Kasumi is my favorite character from ME (which says something because nearly ever character is amazing), and I'm still pissed at Bioware for not giving her a bigger role in 3. Screw the ending hate, I just want Kasumi as a full party member (with requisite romance scenes)!
MNS's favorite character is the one with the weeaboo name?

Sarcastic-No-Way-Kristen-Wiig-Reaction-Gif.gif

Gonna also see if I can convince EA support to let me get access to the ME3 DLC on PC that I already have on 360.
Good luck with that! If by some magical circumstance you manage to pull it off - let me know how you did it! (I played the trilogy on 360 and want to play through it yet again at some point in the near future). Only this time I want to play it on PC. Bioware points and re-buying DLC is the only thing that's holding me back.

Also, if you start the trilogy & for some reason 1 isn't your thing - try playing 2 before you give up. I had to convince my GF to play 2 after she decided that she wasn't into all the driving around on planets in 1. She played 2, then 3, then started over again & played them all through again. It's still both of our favorite franchise - despite all the hate that the pre-expanded ending had (yes, I know some STILL don't like the ending - but I am fine with it).
I was fully aware going in that they couldn't possibly make 40 something satisfying endings that would satisfy EVERYBODY. I am a bit of a pragmatist though.

We try not to talk about that.
Actually, it's probably a good thing Dragon Age II was numbered w/ a sequel.

All the great Dragon Age titles seem to only have a subtitle (i.e. Dragon Age: Origins). ;)

Hopefully, that'll remain true and Inquisition will join that list - especially since it dropped the number III. ;)

EDIT:

Actually, if I was a modder and/or worked on BioWare - I'd love to given the chance rework, revamp, and fix the living hell out of Dragon Age II. I'd upgrade it w/ the strategy of the previous DA title (Origins); limit the amount of "falling from the sky enemy encounters" (especially in the city); put the full-blown tac-cam back in; put the customization of equipment for all party members fully back in; get rid of all of the damn recycled environments; create more unique environments; and polish the living hell out of the game.

7 years or so in the cooker really helped Origins out.

I could imagine what DA2 being 7 years in the cooker and w/ better suited design decisions for the DA franchise could've done.

All the great Dragon Age titles seem to only have a subtitle (i.e. Dragon Age: Origins). ;)

Hopefully, that'll remain true and Inquisition will join that list - especially since it dropped the number III. ;)
Know what series needs to stop that bullshit, though? Assassin's Creed.

Assassin's Creed > Assassin's Creed 2 > Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood > Assassin's Creed: Revelations > Assassin's Creed 3 > Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

It took them all the way until the newest game to realize that you could give a game a number AND a subtitle? The series should have looked like this.

Assassin's Creed > Assassin's Creed 2 > Assassin's Creed 3: Brotherhood > Assassin's Creed 4: Revelations > Assassin's Creed 5 > Assassin's Creed 6: Black Flag

Seriously.

Know what series needs to stop that bullshit, though? Assassin's Creed.

Assassin's Creed > Assassin's Creed 2 > Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood > Assassin's Creed: Revelations > Assassin's Creed 3 > Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

It took them all the way until the newest game to realize that you could give a game a number AND a subtitle? The series should have looked like this.

Assassin's Creed > Assassin's Creed 2 > Assassin's Creed 3: Brotherhood > Assassin's Creed 4: Revelations > Assassin's Creed 5 > Assassin's Creed 6: Black Flag

Seriously.
I believe - just like GTA series - the "number" gets thrown into the equation when they decide to take the game in a wildly different direction gameplay-wise (see Black Flag having free-form ship-driving); a wildly different direction setting-wise (AC3 took it away from Italy); if they revamp the hell out of the game engine majorly; and/or if they create a brand new game engine from scratch.

But, yeah - I'm with you. After a while, when they've put out a ridiculous number of these titles, these companies need to stop using numbers in their titles.

Oh, BTW - where would AC: Liberation HD fit in there if it was numbered? ;)

You're right, all 1 of the dragon age games only had a subtitle. Im sure that has nothing to do w/small sample sizes or anything

You're right, all 1 of the dragon age games only had a subtitle. Im sure that has nothing to do w/small sample sizes or anything
My point was: the great Dragon Age game only had a sub-title (Origins).

Given what I've seen for DA: Inquisition, I'm hoping that follows suit - and also is great.

Only time will tell on that one...

Many fans of DA:O did NOT care for Dragon Age 2.

Many fans of DA2 probably did NOT like DA:O.

Most people wouldn't consider DA2 a sequel. Most people when they see a number, they expect a true-blue sequel - a sequel that takes what made the last game great AND adds major improvements somewhere...which is usually in both gameplay department and technical graphics leaps.

If say Dragon Age 2 was titled say "Dragon Age: The Legacy Of A Champion" or something along that sort, maybe people would've realized, "You know, this game is more of a side-game and spin-off than an actual true-blue sequel." DA2 is a much more personal affair for Hawke and his party members, than say an epic story of "let's gather up party members to save this world from some demonic evil". As a sequel, DA2 is far away from DA1 was doing in many ways - and certainly, that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

My point was: the great Dragon Age game only had a sub-title (Origins).

Given what I've seen for DA: Inquisition, I'm hoping that follows suit - and also is great.

Only time will tell on that one...

Many fans of DA:O did NOT care for Dragon Age 2.

Many fans of DA2 probably did NOT like DA:O.

Most people wouldn't consider DA2 a sequel. Most people when they see a number, they expect a true-blue sequel - a sequel that takes what made the last game great AND adds major improvements somewhere...which is usually in both gameplay department and technical graphics leaps.

If say Dragon Age 2 was titled say "Dragon Age: The Legacy Of A Champion" or something along that sort, maybe people would've realized, "You know, this game is more of a side-game and spin-off than an actual true-blue sequel." DA2 is a much more personal affair for Hawke and his party member, than say an epic story of "let's gather up party members to save this world from some demonic evil". As a sequel, DA2 is far away from DA1 was doing in many ways - and certainly, that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
this response was way too long and unnecessary given my comment

I believe - just like GTA series - the "number" gets thrown into the equation when they decide to take the game in a wildly different direction gameplay-wise (see Black Flag having free-form ship-driving); a wildly different direction setting-wise (AC3 took it away from Italy); if they revamp the hell out of the game engine majorly; and/or if they create a brand new game engine from scratch.

But, yeah - I'm with you. After a while, when they've put out a ridiculous number of these titles, these companies need to stop using numbers in their titles.

Oh, BTW - where would AC: Liberation HD fit in there if it was numbered? ;)
Ehh, I love Assassin's Creed, but none of the games are "wildly" different from each other. They're all the exact same core game, just enhanced and with more features. Their naming/numbering convention is total nonsense.

Mobile/handheld games don't count.

this response was way too long and unnecessary given my comment
If you're talking size...

DAO Ultimate is around 28 GB; while DA2 (without Legacy + Mark DLC) is around 7.97 GB here.

DAO (base-game) took me well over 100 hours, while DA2 was around 54 hours for me.

DAO was the much bigger and much more epic game, for sure.

Much better game, too.

No comparison.

Ehh, I love Assassin's Creed, but none of the games are "wildly" different from each other. They're all the exact same core game, just enhanced and with more features. Their naming/numbering convention is total nonsense.

Mobile/handheld games don't count.
I haven't played AC4: Black Flag yet...

...but in your opinion, did the whole "travel w/ ships" in a free-form style really change the game-play much from previous AC's?

I haven't played AC4: Black Flag yet...

...but in your opinion, did the whole "travel w/ ships" in a free-form style really change the game-play much from previous AC's?
Haven't played it yet either, but I honestly doubt it. Otherwise you'd be hearing a boatload (har har) of complaints and arguments about Assassin's Creed changing it up too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back