Steam Deals Thread V11 ~ Let's move along, people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Seemed about time for a new thread, so here it is. Welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V11!

Daily Deal
Luftrausers - $9.99 $5.99

Yesterday's Deal
Metro: Last Light Complete Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Metro 2033 - $14.99 $3.74

Weekend Deals
Europa Universalis IV - $39.99 $9.99
Europa Universalis IV Extreme Edition - $44.99 $11.24 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis III Collection - 39.99 9.99
Europa Universalis III Complete - 14.99 3.74 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition - 9.99 2.49
PAYDAY 2 - 29.99 9.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
PAYDAY™ The Heist - 14.99 4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]

Midweek Madness
Audiosurf 2 - $14.99 $8.99
Audiosurf - $9.99 $2.49
XCOM Complete - $49.99 $24.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]
Painkiller Complete Pack - $69.99 $13.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]

Weeklong Deals
Pool Nation - $9.99 $1.49
Booster Trooper - $4.99 $0.74
Zeno Clash - $9.99 $1.99
Thunder Wolves - $9.99 $1.99
Alien Breed™ Trilogy - $22.99 $11.49 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Two Worlds II - $19.99 $4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne - $14.99 $3.74
Titan Quest - $14.99 $3.74
Sine Mora - $9.99 $2.49
Primal Carnage - $14.99 $3.74
Mirror's Edge™ - $19.99 $4.99
Hard Truck Apocalypse / Ex Machina - $7.99 $1.99
Guncraft - $14.99 $3.74
Expeditions: Conquistador - $19.99 $4.99
Alien Spidy - $9.99 $2.49
Violett - $9.99 $2.99
Dark Matter - $14.99 $4.49
Survivor Squad - $8.99 $2.96
Victoria II - $19.99 $6.79
Star Trek - $14.99 $5.09
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition - $14.99 $5.09
Tiny Troopers - $4.99 $2.49
Spate - $9.99 $4.99
SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Litil Divil - $9.99 $4.99
Last Dream - $9.99 $4.99
KickBeat Steam Edition - $9.99 $4.99
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
Dead Space Pack - $34.99 $8.74 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Earthworm Jim Collection - $19.99 $9.99
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension - $34.99 $17.49
Desert Thunder - $9.99 $4.99
Construction Machines 2014 - $14.99 $7.49
Tower of Guns - $14.99 $8.24
PlayClaw - Game Video Recorder - $49.99 $29.99
Vox - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure II (Obscure: The Aftermath) - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure - $6.99 $5.24
Action Indie Pack - $14.99 $1.49
Geneforge Saga - $19.99 $3.99

Miscellaneous Deals (end time varies)
Cloudbuilt - $19.99 $9.19
Titan Quest Gold - $19.99 $4.99
Football Manager 2014 - $49.99 $12.5
Dracula Trilogy - $19.99 $9.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
The Wolf Among Us - $24.99 $16.74
MXGP - $39.99 $25.19
FX Eleven - $19.99 $9.99
Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 - $39.99 $19.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - $14.99 $6.00

Thread under construction, more to be added shortly...

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
is the bully port really that bad?
Depends on what system you run it on.

If you have it or want to get - it's like rolling dice. You don't know what you're gonna get.

You roll a dice - and you'll find out the hard-way if the game works well, poor, decent, or not at all on your system on or not.

It's the way w/ Rockstar's PC ports - especially GTA3 + Bully PC. ;)

Bully PC ran on my current PC no problem at a locked 30 FPS and it looked like a PS2-game....

...yet would NOT run on my previous PC which was way above the system requirements.

If you can get it going - I think it's a blast of a game. A lot of fun.

Well, I thought the 30 GB of textures succeeded in making it visually detailed.... unlike your 35 GB of uncompressed Titanfall audio. To have high visual fidelity you need high res textures.
Oh, I agree w/ you - MP3 is drop-dead gorgeous on the PC, technically.

It's just....you have to make room for it + wait for it to install, more or less. ;)

About Titanfall PC - visually, the game looks fine. It certainly don't look technically like Max Payne 3.

Titanfall PC certainly looks better technically than that ESO Beta, though. ;)

The 35 GB of uncompressed audio is kinda crazy for Titanfall PC. If it's high-fidelity audio, then I'd bet people w/ ridiculously high-end surround sound set-ups will probably love that.

But, I don't care too much right now - since I had the HDD space open for it & since I won the game in a contest. ;)

This is the sort of thing that happens when you make friends with burgers:

k1Nm76X.png
To:

photo-thumb-387254.jpg

you're welcome :D

from,

photo-338480.jpg

Is anyone else seeing Motoki and vince_carter with Mooby's avatar? I thought it was all Mooby the whole time! Now I'm scared and confused (more than the usual amount).

Is anyone else seeing Motoki and vince_carter with Mooby's avatar? I thought it was all Mooby the whole time! Now I'm scared and confused (more than the usual amount).
The answer is in the Amazon thread but TL;DR Tony is gone and Josh is MIA so people are bored.

I haven't owned a computer monitor in years. Panasonic plasma master race. I also don't have cable though because I only ever used it to watch sports, so I just buy league pass and use netflix. $200ish a month for 300 channels of shit? No thanks guys.
Me three. I started with a 42", then a 50" and now a 65" which I will continue to LOVE until the day I have to move it. I also use a 32" LG LD450 on a cart so I can have a game room anywhere in the house. I love playing games from my recliner.

I had Dish but they just raised their rates again so I am now OTA + Netflix.

Big tvs are fine for single player games, but if you are playing any competitive multiplayer stuff you better get an actual pc monitor.
I'd guess using big TV's for PC games while sitting on couch are probably fine for games that you'd play w/ a game-pad.

I don't know - but I think games I'd use KB/mouse with, I'd rather sit-up close right up to my 23'' 1080p monitor.

Of course, I play all my PC games on my monitor.

This is my first post here, and I was wondering, is this really legitimate? The prices for some of these games are really low. How can they charge so little for them?

I remember several years back when F.y.e stores were still around, t
What happened to your F.Y.E.'s? I have two near me, stopped in one just a couple of weeks ago.

My 5" [REDACTED] was could run on batteries, I ran it from the wall wart. My [REDACTED] quality was quite good.
Unnecessarily censored that for you.

Looks like Spoder spun me another web of lies.
I see what you did there.

This is my first post here, and I was wondering, is this really legitimate? The prices for some of these games are really low. How can they charge so little for them?
Welcome to the Steam master race.

The real kicker is that many of the games give you free cards that you can sell to other people for real Steam credit and get all your game purchases for free.

Welcome to the Steam master race.

The real kicker is that many of the games give you free cards that you can sell to other people for real Steam credit and get all your game purchases for free.
Are... are you serious? You're not messing with me, are you? How do you get these cards?

Are... are you serious? You're not messing with me, are you? How do you get these cards?
Game must support Steam cards, in 1st place.

Run games -- whether you play them actually; or decide to just run game idly in background just to generate + farm cards, up to you.

Then, go sell or trade cards on the Steam Card Market.

It's also worth pointing out that the cards don't sell for enough cover the cost of the game (except in rare cases), so the "get all your game purchases for free" part is rubbish.

This is my first post here, and I was wondering, is this really legitimate? The prices for some of these games are really low. How can they charge so little for them?
The truth is console manufacturers sell the consoles to you at a loss due to the fact that the tech being put into them is new and still bleeding edge. They offset this with the fees charged on top of the software (game disc), which is why console games are always higher priced, even when on sale, compared to PC games. In PC gaming, you pay a premium up front by the cost associated with you building or buying a PC rig capable of playing the games you want ($500 or more at a minimum, likely $1,000 if it's your first machine with the added cost of things usually recycled in a new build such as monitors, hard drives, power supplies, controllers, keyboards, mice, etc.) , meaning there is no premium (fee) built into the software cost like there is with the console manufacturers, who need to recoup from selling you a high end machine as cheap as they can up front.

This strategy is known as a "loss leader". With the advent of digital gaming, this divide has become even more stark and obvious. This is why if market share in consoles isn't immediately found, the console can't survive (R.I.P. Sega Saturn), as the software sales aren't creating the "stop gap" necessary to recoup the cost of underselling the hardware. PC games (at least where us CAG's are concerned) are measured in pennies, console games you pay with dollars, lot's of them.

Game must support Steam cards, in 1st place.

Run games -- whether you play them actually; or decide to just run game idly in background just to generate + farm cards, up to you.

Then, go sell or trade cards on the Steam Card Market.
Thanks for that information. That's great advice.

It's also worth pointing out that the cards don't sell for enough cover the cost of the game (except in rare cases), so the "get all your game purchases for free" part is rubbish.
I see. But getting more discounts on already steep discounts are still amazing, I think.

Some required reading for new entrants courtesy of BigSpoonyBard.
Thanks a lot. I'll read that immediately.

Don't believe them. Steam is just a big DRM/millinery/collectible scam. Stay far away.
With prices like these, I think I can make a few compromises.

I haven't put a cent into the Steam store since before the card beta in May last year. When I list the cards I've accumulated, I generally add $5-10 to my wallet in one weekend. There's nothing rubbish about it.

Granted, I have well over 1000 games in my library, so the number of cards I've gained and sold and gained again through booster packs is considerable.

The truth is console manufacturers sell the consoles to you at a loss due to the fact that the tech being put into them is new and still bleeding edge. They offset this with the fees charged on top of the software (game disc), which is why console games are always higher priced, even when on sale, compared to PC games. In PC gaming, you pay a premium up front by the cost associated with you building or buying a PC rig capable of playing the games you want ($500 or more at a minimum, likely $1,000 if it's your first machine with the added cost of things usually recycled in a new build such as monitors, hard drives, power supplies, controllers, keyboards, mice, etc.) , meaning there is no premium (fee) built into the software cost for the console manufacturers need to recoup from selling you a high end machine as cheap as they can up front. This strategy is known as a "loss leader". With the advent of digital gaming, this divide has become even more stark and obvious.
Wow, I see. That's very interesting to know. So that's why these games are so inexpensive.

I haven't put a cent into the Steam store since before the card beta in May last year. When I list the cards I've accumulated, I generally add $5-10 to my wallet in one weekend. There's nothing rubbish about it.

Granted, I have well over 1000 games in my library, so the number of cards I've gained and sold and gained again through booster packs is considerable.
1,000 games? Never mind the price, how in the world will you find the time to play all of them?

1,000 games? Never mind the price, how in the world will you find the time to play all of them?
There's a saying in this thread. CAG's don't play their Steam games. We backlog them.

That being said, we had a push last month to try and complete four games each in the four-week month.

Most of us have robust libraries, teeming with games we've never played, thanks to various indie bundles that give Steam keys. Check out the links in post #2 of this thread.

Finding ways to get cheap games is the game. We don't actually play most of what we own :p

…Also, a lot of bundle games suck

That doesn't sound right. Why buy them if not to play them?
Everyone started with this train of thought. It will change, trust me.

Thanks for that information. That's great advice.

I see. But getting more discounts on already steep discounts are still amazing, I think.

Thanks a lot. I'll read that immediately.

With prices like these, I think I can make a few compromises.
If you're worried about Steam's DRM, check This GOG Thread in particular.

They have on-going discussions and a list of what games that don't come w/ CEG and also don't come w/ any other third-party DRM.

Side note: CEG is Steam's DRM that forces you boot-up Steam, whenever you launch a game's shortcut.

That doesn't sound right. Why buy them if not to play them?
Welcome to CAG! :p

We don't just buy games on Steam. We buy games on GreenManGaming, Amazon DVG, IndieGala, HumbleBundle, Groupees, BundleStars, GoG (for all Anti-DRM gamers)...and once in a full moon when Gamersgate has a worthwhile; and other places. We go where the prices go - Steam doesn't always have the best prices, mind you.

Generic example:

You want say want ONE game in a bundle or a maybe TWO. But, it's cheaper to buy the entire bundle to get what you really want, as opposed to say just buying the two games you want SEPARATELY.

Detailed Example:

When I bought EA Origin Bundle, I had almost every game in there ALREADY except for C&C: Red Alert 3 Uprising and Dead Space 3. I practially spent that $1 just to get those games - even though I already owned every other EA game in the bundle.

take a deep breath and relax...im assuming you're new to pc gaming. prepare to be like "oh cool, sweet prices! nice to get this game i really want a lot cheaper than on console." to "hmm, that game looks interesting, and it's cheap, guess i'll get it" to "meh, never heard of that game/not overly interested, but it's in a bundle/it's only 2.50...why not" to "WTF I JUST GOT A PC LIKE 5 MONTHS AGO HOW DO I HAVE 350 GAMES"

Also, I noticed you made comments like "how would you play 1,000 games" and "why buy if you're not going to play"

just wait. you'll eat your words in less than 2 months.

I don't want to come off as a PC elitist. I still buy consoles (although I wait until late in their life cycle to pick them up, meaning I get the better versions with cooler running processors and bigger hard drives, and of course they are way cheaper than launch prices), because of the exclusives on those systems that I enjoy. Great examples being my beloved Final Fantasy X HD Remaster that will be here in a few days for the PS3, then there's the Metal Gear series. Things like that make consoles still worth it in the end. But the line is becoming more and more blurred, and even when you buy an "exclusive" game on consoles, it can still be re released on PC for far cheaper than you bought it originally, Enslaved being a good example.

I'd guess using big TV's for PC games while sitting on couch are probably fine for games that you'd play w/ a game-pad.

I don't know - but I think games I'd use KB/mouse with, I'd rather sit-up close right up to my 23'' 1080p monitor.

Of course, I play all my PC games on my monitor.
I'm talking more in terms of response time, though screen size is important in multiplayer gaming. No matter what a tv manufacturer claims the response time is in a set, don't believe them. There is so much processing going on in tvs that by the time the tv receives the info, processes it, then shows it to you, you are already dead.

If you're worried about Steam's DRM, check This GOG Thread in particular.

They have on-going discussions and a list of what games that don't come w/ CEG and also don't come w/ any other third-party DRM.

Side note: CEG is Steam's DRM that forces you boot-up Steam, whenever you launch a game's shortcut.
Oh MysterD. You're the only person here who cares about Steam as DRM. You should go hang out with Europeans at GOG to commiserate.

Seriously though, don't scare the console people off. It's not that bad. Most of us here don't care if Steam has to boot up if we run a game. In fact, we want that.

Personally, as long as activation limits aren't involved I'm not really fussed over DRM.

Oh MysterD. You're the only person here who cares about Steam as DRM. You should go hang out with Europeans at GOG to commiserate.

Seriously though, don't scare the console people off. It's not that bad. Most of us here don't care if Steam has to boot up if we run a game. In fact, we want that.

Personally, as long as activation limits aren't involved I'm not really fussed over DRM.
Likely - if you're using Steam, you probably should have a decent Net connection. Most PC games these days are likely bought digitally from Steam or some other digital store - especially here in the USA.

As long as gamers have a decent Internet connection; can connect now and then to Steam for any updates; and they check to make sure Steam offline mode works (if they really want or need to do this step) - yeah, they should be fine.

EDIT:

Personally, as long as activation limits & G4WL aren't involved I'm not really fussed over DRM.
FTFY. ;)

Don't take it too literally when you hear people around here say "we don't play games, we collect them."

That's true to some extent, because many regulars spend a lot of time monitoring deals and buying games, but they also play a few too... whether or not they will admit to it. It's really just a way of making fun of yourself for spending so much time on the meta-game of getting deals. 

Don't take it too literally when you hear people around here say "we don't play games, we collect them."

That's true to some extent, because many regulars spend a lot of time monitoring deals and buying games, but they also play a few too... whether or not they will admit to it. It's really just a way of making fun of yourself for spending so much time on the meta-game of getting deals.
Don't forget the Meta-Meta-game of increasing our Steam-game count + our account's Steam Level, as well. ;)

How many of those new games paid for themselves with their card drops, though? When I see "get all your game purchases for free", I think of all purchases - including the initial ones, which (as I pointed out) is a very rare case.

VERY YES. It's a browser extension made by one of our own.
"One of our own" who I haven't seen here in months.

This all comes with the bonus experience of "Nooooo Game ABC is on a great discount now, less than when I bought it two months ago and I haven't played it yet!"

How many of those new games paid for themselves with their card drops, though? When I see "get all your game purchases for free", I think of all purchases - including the initial ones, which (as I pointed out) is a very rare case.

I never said the cards paid for the games they came from. I've yet to manage to sell cards for a game before I bought it. That being said, I've had plenty of bundles pay for themselves thanks to card sales, particularly older Groupees offerings. But no, you'll never make back the purchase price buying a game directly through Steam, and I would never claim that.

"One of our own" who I haven't seen here in months.

Now you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. His last post to the Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread was two days ago. He's far from being an inactive CAG. =P

Actually, yes. The d-pad and buttons on the G27's shifter work for the menus. I assumed that you had issues beyond the menus though... but rereading, I can't actually find evidence for that. But it has to be so, otherwise i'd be crazy in my well-ordered view of the world. I mean what sort of person would rage quit a racing game because of the menus? (don't answer that, please)

One thing I find invaluable is a secondary wireless mouse... I find all sorts of uses for it, like watching video from my sofa, or just leaning back in my chair, or when Monster (feline) lays on top of my normal mouse. The secondary wireless keyboard gets far less use. I have a couple $10 Logitech M325 that work great, fantastic battery life & standby on one AA battery.
Rage quit from the menus? No, not here... I likely spent 30 minutes or so going around some track... Not one I really recognized but again that doesn't mean much as I don't follow open wheel in the states let alone worldwide.

The menus just left a bad first (and last) impression... It might be silly to think so but if you cannot make decent menus* why would I think you could make something far more complex correctly? (like race physics and whatnot.) The physics are far better than the menus btw. :)

* Or a way to interface with them, I mean, yeah, I had a controller plugged into the PC but I also had a mouse... So why would you disable the mouse?

Cats; Mayhem (youngest feline) doesn't seem to interested in the mouse... but she's spent quite a bit of time watching my type on the keyboard... In fact the other day she managed to activate one of my Demon Hunter's powers in Diablo III. (She also has the uncanny ability to know when a boss battle is about to take place... Cause that's when she REALLY wants attention. :p )

This all comes with the bonus experience of "Nooooo Game ABC is on a great discount now, less than when I bought it two months ago and I haven't played it yet!"
Right. :D

More advice for the no0bs.

IMHO, this is why it's always best if you want a game and don't plan to play it ASAP (i.e. you are putting it in your backlog), please wait for the usually safe 75% off (its current lowest digital MSRP price) or better deals.

If you plan to play ASAP - you can do that thing of PWYW (Pay What You Want).

Try to keep those to a minimum - base-games can get cheap quick; many games have tons of DLC); inevitable re-releases w/ Base-Game + ALL DLC's + ALL Expansions, maybe Season Passes can get cheap later.

Often, if I'm desperate for a pre-order or just-released game - 50% off or better can cause me to jump.

EDIT:

Also worth noting - Square Enix is known to slice prices REAL fast.

A lot of people will claim that being a CAG means getting the best price, but really, being a true CAG means maximizing value.  If you value having a game on release day and get it for 20% off, you're not failing by jumping in right away.  If you value Kickstarting a game that maybe wouldn't exist (at all or to the same degree, added feature milestones and all that) without your support, then you're still doing it right.  If you value paying a little extra to get a game in a bundle where 100% goes to charity rather than having Evil Publisher X pocket something, or if you opt to avoid playing the regional pricing game such that you are supporting the publisher and devs more, then you're getting more value out of your purchase.  It's all good.

We also have a common claim here that buying a game on sale will guarantee it for bundling soon after, so doing so is a sacrifice for the greater good.  "I bought Indie Game Retro 5 on sale, and with my luck it'll be the next Humble Weekly.  You're welcome."

A lot of people will claim that being a CAG means getting the best price, but really, being a true CAG means maximizing value. If you value having a game on release day and get it for 20% off, you're not failing by jumping in right away. If you value Kickstarting a game that maybe wouldn't exist (at all or to the same degree, added feature milestones and all that) without your support, then you're still doing it right. If you value paying a little extra to get a game in a bundle where 100% goes to charity rather than having Evil Publisher X pocket something, or if you opt to avoid playing the regional pricing game such that you are supporting the publisher and devs more, then you're getting more value out of your purchase. It's all good.

We also have a common claim here that buying a game on sale will guarantee it for bundling soon after, so doing so is a sacrifice for the greater good. "I bought Indie Game Retro 5 on sale. You're welcome."
Nah ah, it's about spodering keys and yelling at stingy indie devs to give up the goods when they owe us.

A lot of people will claim that being a CAG means getting the best price, but really, being a true CAG means maximizing value. If you value having a game on release day and get it for 20% off, you're not failing by jumping in right away. If you value Kickstarting a game that maybe wouldn't exist (at all or to the same degree, added feature milestones and all that) without your support, then you're still doing it right. If you value paying a little extra to get a game in a bundle where 100% goes to charity rather than having Evil Publisher X pocket something, or if you opt to avoid playing the regional pricing game such that you are supporting the publisher and devs more, then you're getting more value out of your purchase. It's all good.

We also have a common claim here that buying a game on sale will guarantee it for bundling soon after, so doing so is a sacrifice for the greater good. "I bought Indie Game Retro 5 on sale, and with my luck it'll be the next Humble Weekly. You're welcome."
fo sho.

not to mention we get so many games cheap around here that i dont have aproblem paying a premium for a game i really want to play.

I also think the PWYW thing on a new release can be alright, as long as you think you'll get mileage out of a game. I tend to lean this way towards RPG's - those are the games normally that I get plenty out time out of & really enjoy playing.

When I spend good $ on a game, I want a time-sink; value per playthrough; and/or heavy replay value.

i.e. Shadow of Destiny has around 7 different endings. It's about 5-10 hours per playthrough. I got every ending. Do the math.

i.e. ONE playthrough of Skyrim (without DLC) - which is still unfinished on the main quest, BTW - has netted over 110 hours.

We also have a common claim here that buying a game on sale will guarantee it for bundling soon after, so doing so is a sacrifice for the greater good. "I bought Indie Game Retro 5 on sale. You're welcome."
Also wort noting for the no0bs:

Sometimes, when we see insane deals i.e. 95% off, we think it might be bundled soon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back