Steam Deals Thread V11 ~ Let's move along, people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Seemed about time for a new thread, so here it is. Welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V11!

Daily Deal
Luftrausers - $9.99 $5.99

Yesterday's Deal
Metro: Last Light Complete Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Metro 2033 - $14.99 $3.74

Weekend Deals
Europa Universalis IV - $39.99 $9.99
Europa Universalis IV Extreme Edition - $44.99 $11.24 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis III Collection - 39.99 9.99
Europa Universalis III Complete - 14.99 3.74 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition - 9.99 2.49
PAYDAY 2 - 29.99 9.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
PAYDAY™ The Heist - 14.99 4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]

Midweek Madness
Audiosurf 2 - $14.99 $8.99
Audiosurf - $9.99 $2.49
XCOM Complete - $49.99 $24.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]
Painkiller Complete Pack - $69.99 $13.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]

Weeklong Deals
Pool Nation - $9.99 $1.49
Booster Trooper - $4.99 $0.74
Zeno Clash - $9.99 $1.99
Thunder Wolves - $9.99 $1.99
Alien Breed™ Trilogy - $22.99 $11.49 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Two Worlds II - $19.99 $4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne - $14.99 $3.74
Titan Quest - $14.99 $3.74
Sine Mora - $9.99 $2.49
Primal Carnage - $14.99 $3.74
Mirror's Edge™ - $19.99 $4.99
Hard Truck Apocalypse / Ex Machina - $7.99 $1.99
Guncraft - $14.99 $3.74
Expeditions: Conquistador - $19.99 $4.99
Alien Spidy - $9.99 $2.49
Violett - $9.99 $2.99
Dark Matter - $14.99 $4.49
Survivor Squad - $8.99 $2.96
Victoria II - $19.99 $6.79
Star Trek - $14.99 $5.09
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition - $14.99 $5.09
Tiny Troopers - $4.99 $2.49
Spate - $9.99 $4.99
SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Litil Divil - $9.99 $4.99
Last Dream - $9.99 $4.99
KickBeat Steam Edition - $9.99 $4.99
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
Dead Space Pack - $34.99 $8.74 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Earthworm Jim Collection - $19.99 $9.99
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension - $34.99 $17.49
Desert Thunder - $9.99 $4.99
Construction Machines 2014 - $14.99 $7.49
Tower of Guns - $14.99 $8.24
PlayClaw - Game Video Recorder - $49.99 $29.99
Vox - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure II (Obscure: The Aftermath) - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure - $6.99 $5.24
Action Indie Pack - $14.99 $1.49
Geneforge Saga - $19.99 $3.99

Miscellaneous Deals (end time varies)
Cloudbuilt - $19.99 $9.19
Titan Quest Gold - $19.99 $4.99
Football Manager 2014 - $49.99 $12.5
Dracula Trilogy - $19.99 $9.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
The Wolf Among Us - $24.99 $16.74
MXGP - $39.99 $25.19
FX Eleven - $19.99 $9.99
Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 - $39.99 $19.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - $14.99 $6.00

Thread under construction, more to be added shortly...

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding removing DRM from old games:

This is usually not a simple matter, like going into the source code and removing a few offending lines or flipping a binary variable. The more effecting forms of DRM are often built in from the start and would take a team a while to accomplish, then prompting another testing phase. I would simply not expect it for any game that isn't likely to sell decently as a result.

Regarding modders bypassing DRM:

To say that they do it free is technically true, but in the end, they're doing it for themselves and then just sharing the method they found with others. Some do it for the challenge or for the cred or to make a point, but I don't think any see it as their duty.

Of course, you could combine these and have the publisher commission the patch from the modder, but you would still need the testing phase, and you'd probably still want someone to go through the source code to make sue there isn't anything else going on... so you're back at the same amount of labor involved when they do it themselves, still without much of a sales expectation.
If EA has taught us anything, it's that removing DRM is completely impossible.

Oh wait.

47569841.jpg

<insert my inevitable Diablo 3 "Always online DRM" complaint here>
I'm up to the challenge!

Diablo 3's update fixes a lot of crap it should have from the beginning, but there are still glaring issues, the expack is completely overpriced, they took far too many elements from WoW and the always-online really turns me off. D2 remains the better game. /rant

Did I do good?

Expeditions: Conquistador is a crazy good turn based tactical RPG. You may already have it from the Humble Bitcomposer or the current Bundlestars.

The tactical battles are great. They involve varied locations and parameters, most story based but some 'random' encounters, allow you to chose what party members to bring, and sometimes have options to shape the fighting area. There are some solid character classes to pick from with a variety of special abilities. The story is compelling and interesting, with tons of dialog and connecting stories. The graphics, music, and sound effects are all average but fit the gameplay and setting. My only issue is that late game becomes a little tedious with large distances to be traveled.

The developer describes the games as "Expeditions: Conquistador is a tactical roleplaying game with a touch of strategic resource management and a pinch of choose-your-own-adventure" which I totally agree with.

If you are a fan of tactical RPGs, I'd say it is a must play.

Grade: A

Yeah, it's odd it hasn't been. Same with "The Cave", but that's published by Sega, and same with Iron Brigade, but that's published by Microsoft.

It'll probably be bundled with La Mulana or something.
IB was actually sorta/kinda bundled by Tony in the Microsoft bundle last year ($5; 2012/1013 holiday).

Okay, I went ten pages back and nobody is saying anything about Payday 2. Is it worth it? If I get it, should I get the DLC? (Have played a couple of hours and it seems interesting enough, but I could see it getting ridiculously repetitive?)

Okay, I went ten pages back and nobody is saying anything about Payday 2. Is it worth it? If I get it, should I get the DLC? (Have played a couple of hours and it seems interesting enough, but I could see it getting ridiculously repetitive?)
I have it from PS+ but have yet to really play it all that much. What little I did play seemed fun, but a lot of the reviews I have read say that there is too much reliance on RNG drops for weapon/equipment advancement. I have never really been big on this (even though the same can be said for MOD cards in a FTP game I can't stop playing for the past couple months - Warframe).

That said, it is a pretty good price & if you don't have PS+ and have been enjoying it.... well, it's up to you, of course.

Okay, I went ten pages back and nobody is saying anything about Payday 2. Is it worth it?
Payday 2 was a pretty fun game when it released. It had some glitches and stuff, but it was fun to figure out all the heists and run around shooting cops with your friends. Over time, the devs have been tweaking and tweaking, and it has become clear that they are trying to make a game that I have no interest in.

I highly recommend taking it for a spin while it is free this weekend. Gather some friends, shoot some cops, steal some money. I do not recommend a purchase. Also, all the DLC is crap, so it is good that it isn't discounted.

And wow, I have 253 hours played...
If I get it, should I get the DLC? (Have played a couple of hours and it seems interesting enough, but I could see it getting ridiculously repetitive?)
I feel like I should elaborate on the Payday 2 DLC, as I have probably played more of it than most people here.

Official Soundtrack: If you like game soundtracks, this one is pretty sweet and heisty. You can listen here.

Christmas Soundtrack: Pretty funny, but you probably won't listen more than once. Try it here.

Armored Transport: The only real content in any of the DLCs. It adds essentially one new mission in five different places, and a bonus train heist that will sometimes be unlocked in the other heist. If no one in your crew has a saw, be prepared to spend five to ten minutes doing nothing but holding F while cops whittle your health down. And if you get the train heist, be prepared to leave with not much money or spend half an hour lugging bags to the boat.

Weapon Pack 1: The grenades are awful. The guns are just okay.

Weapon Pack 2: The LMGs are not very good at all. The knives are almost identical to regular melee but slower.

Only 10 pages back? Amateur. :p

Here's some impressions because I have nothing better to do. (The earliest responses were at page 96 for me. This is page 117.)

Payday 2 seemed good on paper and I impulse bought it a while back, but I didn't realize that it was mostly an xp treadmill / rng drop farming game. Still worth a recommendation i suppose if you have friends who want to play it in the same way as you.

The DLC masks are not bad, if you like paying for that kind of thing. I could probably be convinced to run a few heists. My Steam is here.
If I get it, should I get the DLC? (Have played a couple of hours and it seems interesting enough, but I could see it getting ridiculously repetitive?)
It is now, but don't buy it. The stuff it adds ranges from underwhelming to lame.

I feel like I should elaborate on the Payday 2 DLC, as I have probably played more of it than most people here.

Official Soundtrack: If you like game soundtracks, this one is pretty sweet and heisty. You can listen here.

Christmas Soundtrack: Pretty funny, but you probably won't listen more than once. Try it here.

Armored Transport: The only real content in any of the DLCs. It adds essentially one new mission in five different places, and a bonus train heist that will sometimes be unlocked in the other heist. If no one in your crew has a saw, be prepared to spend five to ten minutes doing nothing but holding F while cops whittle your health down. And if you get the train heist, be prepared to leave with not much money or spend half an hour lugging bags to the boat.

Weapon Pack 1: The grenades are awful. The guns are just okay.

Weapon Pack 2: The LMGs are not very good at all. The knives are almost identical to regular melee but slower.

Payday 2 was a pretty fun game when it released. It had some glitches and stuff, but it was fun to figure out all the heists and run around shooting cops with your friends. Over time, the devs have been tweaking and tweaking, and it has become clear that they are trying to make a game that I have no interest in.

I highly recommend taking it for a spin while it is free this weekend. Gather some friends, shoot some cops, steal some money. I do not recommend a purchase. Also, all the DLC is crap, so it is good that it isn't discounted.

And wow, I have 253 hours played...
I loved the first Payday and Payday 2 was one of the only games I pre-ordered (I think the other was Borderlands 2), and I was even lucky enough to get into their closed beta, but I ended up uninstalling PD2 last week and reinstalling PD1. PD2 is still a fun game, but it relies way to heavily on RNG to get stuff like weapon mods (meaning if you want to do any stealth runs, you have to pray to the RNG gods to give you a silencer), all the DLC is "meh" at most, and the developers seem to cater (and balance the game) for one specific hardcore clan (T$E) that they've been butt-buddies with since PD1. The matchmaking is worse than PD1, the heists are bland and are jokingly referred to as "bag throwing simulators". They also added a bunch of cool masks, but again relies heavily on RNG to get them.

It's sad because I really really wanted to like this game, but in it's current state, it's a bit of a letdown, especially if you were a fan of the first game.

I only have the first one... (And its DLC) but have never really done anything with it other than idle cards and try one heist on my own... Also no matter what I seem to do I cannot get the thing to use up my entire monitor. (Even in full screen.)

So I sort of ended up moving on to other things...
Edit: I would say "Ninja'd by Squirrel!" but I got some opinions he didn't, so nyeh. :p

Daily Deal

Orcs Must Die - $9.99 $2.49
The GotY edition (which includes both DLCs) is also on sale for $3.24* (but there's no sales for the DLCs separately :/)

I get why they didn't include the sequel in the sale (as at the same sale %, the price difference would be negligible), but why not have a sale on the collection as well? Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Edit: fucked up the price the first time. Remedied.

Last time the game went on sale on Steam the upgrade stayed at $5, from what I recall.
Doesn't surprise me. They'd only put it on sale to get people to convert who haven't already, and since most people already have or bought the DC outright (it's been out for a substantial period), they lack the incentive to do so, making it unlikely. They probably view the upgrade as a big enough "deal" in itself. (It's not a bad value, I appreciate that they were willing to offer it at all). Their priority is on selling new copies of DC.

Obligatory mention of Squeenix Bundle and how DX HR will be in it so don't bother buying
Actually, I hope they do do a Humble Bundle and include DX HR. If they include the vanilla version the BTA-tier could be the upgrade DLC or since they have so many new people receiving the original version, they would have incentive to have the upgrade DLC on sale during the promotion. I think that'd make a lot of CAGs pretty happy.

Steam is a grand master at putting things on sale then running so shitty that I lose interest in buying them before I can log in or process a transaction.

You should be more interested in Spelunky because it's an amazing game. And it's addictive, like crack. That too.
Interested in it? No doubt... I've not done many roguelikes but the rave reviews mean anyone should try it when given a chance... but MORE interested in? That, my friend, to me is highly debatable... :)

We all have are favorite Nintendo property... For most its Zelda or Mario (or maybe an off suit of Mario like Mario Cart) but for me its Metroid and always will be Metroid. (And more specifically 2D Metroid.)

Edit: The mods been disabled for download due to too much activity... If someone hits it up and its available for download don't hesitate to make note of it in the thread.

Link to the actual mod's location: http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=4342.0

Steam is a grand master at putting things on sale then running so shitty that I lose interest in buying them before I can log in or process a transaction.
I was trying to buy something earlier and kept getting errors when trying to checkout.

Is Steam giving me a subliminal sign I shouldn't be purchasing any more games right now?

I was trying to buy something earlier and kept getting errors when trying to checkout.

Is Steam giving me a subliminal sign I shouldn't be purchasing any more games right now?
Yes. It is only letting you checkout with purchases done as gifts, which is a sign you should start buying games for other CAGs, like uhh.. me. :p

Actually, I hope they do do a Humble Bundle and include DX HR. If they include the vanilla version the BTA-tier could be the upgrade DLC or since they have so many new people receiving the original version, they would have incentive to have the upgrade DLC on sale during the promotion. I think that'd make a lot of CAGs pretty happy.
There is no "upgrade DLC", the Director's Cut is an entirely separate game from the original, which is no longer being sold on Steam. It's just set up so people who own the original and Missing Link get a discount.

Lots of stores still sell the original though.

There is no "upgrade DLC", the Director's Cut is an entirely separate game from the original, which is no longer being sold on Steam. It's just set up so people who own the original and Missing Link get a discount.

Lots of stores still sell the original though.
Oh. I don't have the original, so I was just going off of what the people here said. They do? I don't see any around here aside from GameStop. I forget where you're from though.

Well, nevermind what I said then. Yeah, that'll never see a sale. /stupidity

Edit: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Duh. /stupidityforrealthistime

Do you think they have a finite amount or are they being supplied with more just because?

Doesn't work either actually, tried that already.
Darn. I was looking forward to a free copy of AvP. CURSE YOU GABE!

Oh. I don't have the original, so I was just going off of what the people here said. They do? I don't see any around here aside from GameStop. I forget where you're from though.

Well, nevermind what I said then. Yeah, that'll never see a sale. /stupidity

Darn. I was looking forward to a free copy of AvP. CURSE YOU GABE!
Online stores. GreenManGaming has the original and its DLCs on sale like once a month. :p

Oddly I've never had any problems buying hard drives from them. Then again, their distribution center is just North of me, across the San Diego valley.
Whether it be an optical drive or a hard drive or anything oem its always wrapped in 2 layers of bubble wrap and taped then put inside a box. Never had an issue.

Of course im sure they had one bad experince and then spend years bitching about it as if some great crime has been committed and that everything they have ever shipped was padded by rocks and broken glass and packed in a garbage bag. Kind of like the people who get one scratched disc from gamefly and then rant and rave for a decade about it in every single thread that mentions gamefly.

Damn you guys talking about that Metroid mod for Spelunky. Now I want the game.

Obligatory mention of Squeenix Bundle and how DX HR will be in it so don't bother buying
I already got DX:HR long long ago in a glorious Amazon Squeenix bundle, the likes of which have never been seen again. Some of you know what I'm talking about.

Whether it be an optical drive or a hard drive or anything oem its always wrapped in 2 layers of bubble wrap and taped then put inside a box. Never had an issue.

Of course im sure they had one bad experince and then spend years bitching about it as if some great crime has been committed and that everything they have ever shipped was padded by rocks and broken glass and packed in a garbage bag. Kind of like the people who get one scratched disc from gamefly and then rant and rave for a decade about it in every single thread that mentions gamefly.
Hey now, GameFly sends chipped discs yo, not scratched ones. Big difference.

Damn you guys talking about that Metroid mod for Spelunky. Now I want the game.

I already got DX:HR long long ago in a glorious Amazon Squeenix bundle, the likes of which have never been seen again. Some of you know what I'm talking about.

Hey now, GameFly sends chipped discs yo, not scratched ones. Big difference.
All of the discs I get from GameFly are chipped. This thread is now about chipped discs.

All of the discs I get from GameFly are chipped. This thread is now about chipped discs.
No no fuck you, every disc I get from them is perfect. Everyone in this thread who says they get chipped discs from GameFly are liars and should die.

(Am I not the only one who has experienced these arguments on the old GameFly physical threads? They were legendary.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back