Steam Deals Thread V11 ~ Let's move along, people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Seemed about time for a new thread, so here it is. Welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V11!

Daily Deal
Luftrausers - $9.99 $5.99

Yesterday's Deal
Metro: Last Light Complete Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Metro 2033 - $14.99 $3.74

Weekend Deals
Europa Universalis IV - $39.99 $9.99
Europa Universalis IV Extreme Edition - $44.99 $11.24 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis III Collection - 39.99 9.99
Europa Universalis III Complete - 14.99 3.74 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition - 9.99 2.49
PAYDAY 2 - 29.99 9.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
PAYDAY™ The Heist - 14.99 4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]

Midweek Madness
Audiosurf 2 - $14.99 $8.99
Audiosurf - $9.99 $2.49
XCOM Complete - $49.99 $24.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]
Painkiller Complete Pack - $69.99 $13.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]

Weeklong Deals
Pool Nation - $9.99 $1.49
Booster Trooper - $4.99 $0.74
Zeno Clash - $9.99 $1.99
Thunder Wolves - $9.99 $1.99
Alien Breed™ Trilogy - $22.99 $11.49 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Two Worlds II - $19.99 $4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne - $14.99 $3.74
Titan Quest - $14.99 $3.74
Sine Mora - $9.99 $2.49
Primal Carnage - $14.99 $3.74
Mirror's Edge™ - $19.99 $4.99
Hard Truck Apocalypse / Ex Machina - $7.99 $1.99
Guncraft - $14.99 $3.74
Expeditions: Conquistador - $19.99 $4.99
Alien Spidy - $9.99 $2.49
Violett - $9.99 $2.99
Dark Matter - $14.99 $4.49
Survivor Squad - $8.99 $2.96
Victoria II - $19.99 $6.79
Star Trek - $14.99 $5.09
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition - $14.99 $5.09
Tiny Troopers - $4.99 $2.49
Spate - $9.99 $4.99
SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Litil Divil - $9.99 $4.99
Last Dream - $9.99 $4.99
KickBeat Steam Edition - $9.99 $4.99
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
Dead Space Pack - $34.99 $8.74 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Earthworm Jim Collection - $19.99 $9.99
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension - $34.99 $17.49
Desert Thunder - $9.99 $4.99
Construction Machines 2014 - $14.99 $7.49
Tower of Guns - $14.99 $8.24
PlayClaw - Game Video Recorder - $49.99 $29.99
Vox - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure II (Obscure: The Aftermath) - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure - $6.99 $5.24
Action Indie Pack - $14.99 $1.49
Geneforge Saga - $19.99 $3.99

Miscellaneous Deals (end time varies)
Cloudbuilt - $19.99 $9.19
Titan Quest Gold - $19.99 $4.99
Football Manager 2014 - $49.99 $12.5
Dracula Trilogy - $19.99 $9.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
The Wolf Among Us - $24.99 $16.74
MXGP - $39.99 $25.19
FX Eleven - $19.99 $9.99
Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 - $39.99 $19.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - $14.99 $6.00

Thread under construction, more to be added shortly...

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since there are no (good) deals to speak of...and I can't believe I'm on the side of Bruticis, but...

Average (second definition by M-W): a level that is typical of a group, class, or series : a middle point between extremes

1...5....10  Five being a middle point between extremes

I get what everyone is saying, but I wish all reviews used a simple 1 - 10 scale with no weighting.  Or better yet, don't use a number scale at all since video games are entirely player subjective and say whether you had fun or not, whether it is the reviewers preferred genre or not and whether there are bugs or not.

Since there are no (good) deals to speak of...and I can't believe I'm on the side of Bruticis, but...

Average (second definition by M-W): a level that is typical of a group, class, or series : a middle point between extremes

1...5....10 Five being a middle point between extremes

I get what everyone is saying, but I wish all reviews used a simple 1 - 10 scale with no weighting. Or better yet, don't use a number scale at all since video games are entirely player subjective and say whether you had fun or not, whether it is the reviews preferred genre or not and whether there are bugs or not.
It's OK to agree with me sometimes, after all I own the ME series on every platform there is and have played all 3 games at least 9 times. Sometimes it just feels right to be on the bad guys team.

I get what everyone is saying, but I wish all reviews used a simple 1 - 10 scale with no weighting. Or better yet, don't use a number scale at all since video games are entirely player subjective and say whether you had fun or not, whether it is the reviewers preferred genre or not and whether there are bugs or not.
I'm not against ratings, since rating a game "fun" or "not fun" would be a little odd, but I agree with that sentiment. It bugs the crap out of me when a reviewer gives a game a terrible rating, yet says the game is fun, that they got addicted to it, etc. I've come across that numerous times and done a headdesk because the purpose of a game is fun. When they rate the game something like like a 4 or 5, and then proceed to call it fun or addicting, that's just bad reviewing right there.

I give this latest topic the following scores:

Saffir-Simpson - 3
Kardashev Scale - Type I
Kinsey Scale - 4
Bortle Scale - 9
Bristol Scale - 2
Hamilton-Norwood Scale - VI
Kelvin - 305

1...5....10 Five being a middle point between extremes

I get what everyone is saying, but I wish all reviews used a simple 1 - 10 scale with no weighting. Or better yet, don't use a number scale at all since video games are entirely player subjective and say whether you had fun or not, whether it is the reviewers preferred genre or not and whether there are bugs or not.
Technically speaking, there are 4 elements below 5 and 5 elements above 5:

<5 : 1, 2, 3, 4

>5 : 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

so 5 is still not the middle. The middle point, or median, is still 5.5 = (5 + 6)/2.

I completely agree with your point though. What's the point of a wide range if you only really use the top 30% when giving out actual scores? I suspect it's an attempt to convey the sheer difference in quality of games, such as BioShock 1 is slightly better than BioShock 2 (say 9.5 vs 8.5) and a typical player would receive about 12% ((9.5-8.5)/8.5) more utility when playing BioShock 1. On the other hand, a game like Ride to Hell: Retribution is so bad that you literally receive 9 times more utility when playing a BioShock game in comparison.

If game reviews used a simple 1-5 rating system in which 20% of games receive each score, there would be much greater variance in the lower end of the scale compared to the higher end.

Personally, I agree that assigning a score to a game is completely pointless, and reviewers should try to express their impression from the game while trying to avoid subjective bias.

So with all this thrilling ratings system talk, does anyone miss my flavour of off-topic yet? O:)

Ugh. One day, Manhattan Project. One day...
Considering how recent the last time it was bundled is (Flying Bundle 6 which I'm kicking myself for missing), chances are you'll see it again. Maybe they'll bundle the first 2 Dukes too? :pray:

And Escape Goat is done. Enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought it would even though it was pretty difficult. Took me 3 hours and I died 353 times. There's an achievement for beating it in under 45 minutes so I assume the more skilled platformers will take less time.
I have a similar amount of time logged and I seem to recall a similar number of deaths. Even with the deaths, I didn't think it was all that difficult. It's just a game that uses some trial and error to figure things out. That's balanced by death not being punishing.

As to ratings, Boardgamegeek has a recommended rating system for board games that allows for a use of the range of numbers 1-10 with a real use for the entire range.

• 10 - Outstanding. Always want to play, expect this will never change.
  • 9 - Excellent. Always want to play.
  • 8 - Very good. Like to play, will probably suggest it, will never turn it down.
  • 7 - Good. Usually willing to play.
  • 6 - Fair. Some fun or challenge at least, will play occasionally if in the right mood.
  • 5 - Average. No significant appeal, take it or leave it.
  • 4 - Below average. Slightly boring, could be talked into it on occasion.
  • 3 - Poor. Likely won't play this again although could be convinced.
  • 2 - Very poor. Annoying, I plan to never play this again.
  • 1 - Defies description of a game. You won't catch me dead playing this. Clearly broken.
Now, obviously not everyone on BGG follows this ranking system, but I tend to gravitate toward those definitions when I rate board games. The desire to play aspect doesn't apply exactly to video games, of course, but it can translate to something analogous. Bad Rats would probably be a 2 on this scale. Escape Goat might be a 6.5.

Semantics.

A zero score should not be given as that would indicate an unfinished (alpha, beta) game. It's easier to type and understand 1 - 10 as opposed to 0.1 - 10.
Obviously a true average of 5.5 doesn't matter I was merely correcting an mathematical error. The larger point I guess is ideally the scores would have a normal distribution around a mean of 5.5 (or 5 if you prefer) rather than having the scores heavily skewed right. Or better yet eliminate assigning a numerical score entirely.

My wife's a gamer. Both Triple Town and Candy Crush.
My wife hasn't discovered Triple Town yet, but she runs Jewel Quest 1/2/3 like a boss. (And completed Candy Crush without spending a dime on it, which is actually a pretty hardcore achievement.)

I give this latest topic the following scores:

Saffir-Simpson - 3
Kardashev Scale - Type I
Kinsey Scale - 4
Bortle Scale - 9
Bristol Scale - 2
Hamilton-Norwood Scale - VI
Kelvin - 305
What about Fujita scale, Richter scale, Mohs scale, and Tanita scale? Incomplete score is incomplete.

Evolution RTS

PC System Requirements
  • Minimum: 
  • Processor: 1.6ghz 
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM 
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 450 or better (or ATI/AMD equivalent) 
  • Hard Drive: 1 GB available space 
  • Additional Notes: ATI/AMD Video cards have issues with OpenGL games. This is due to the fact that AMD can't be bothered to write proper drivers. That said, post in the forums if you have an issue and it will be worked out.

I give this post a C, Eb, F, G, and Bb on the Pentatonic Scale
Convert it to something we can all understand. So you're saying that's about a 38 DD/F on the US Brassiere Measurement and International Fitting standard (underbust) scales? More hands-on testing needed.

(What are we talking about?)

Edit: Imagine how funny those game reviews would be.

"Would motorboat again. 40/FF" - Gamespot

"Firm and tender at the beginning, but sags near the end. 32/B" - IGN

Evolution RTS

PC System Requirements

• Minimum:
  • Processor: 1.6ghz
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 450 or better (or ATI/AMD equivalent)
  • Hard Drive: 1 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: ATI/AMD Video cards have issues with OpenGL games. This is due to the fact that AMD can't be bothered to write proper drivers. That said, post in the forums if you have an issue and it will be worked out.
That's pretty funny, actually. Aren't Nvidia, Intel and AMD finally fully embracing OpenGL now though since their presentation at GDC this year? To run counter to the new DirectX, I'm guessing.

Dating a girl who sometimes plays games isn't the fantasy many people dream of. Today my girlfriend stole the controller from me while I played Type:Rider and played the whole Futura level without me. She didn't even find the hidden ampersand so I had to redo that section!
You can do better.

That's pretty much exactly how i play games, but I didn't want to say it first :X

And I've 3 cats but I don't play WoW.
I had two and played WoW. Now I have one and I play Diablo III.

I just finished Far Cry 3. Fun game. Though, I can't help but feeling that FC3 and Tomb Raider were not all that disimilar.

Now on to Dishonored. Deciding between a panther or murderfest playthrough. I guess I did a panther-esque style on my first run through, so probably gonna do a high chaos run this time.
Wow... really... I did all my crafting, got all the radio tower on the first island, librated about half of the camps there then moved on, i haven't gotten back yet.

I uninstalled Sleeping Dogs a couple months ago to free more space for more games, since I finished it. I reinstalled it today to get the rest of the achievements (playfire rewards)... but all the saved games seems to be gone when I uninstalled it. Why they remove the saved games when uninstalling?? Even older games don't touch the saved games when uninstalling!! That's why almost all the games that aren't using cloud sync use the "My Documents" folder. GTA 3 is from 2001 and saves there. A lot of low budget indie games are using that folder too!

Too bad. I won't play this game anymore and will NEVER buy any DLC, since I don't want to play it all over again (I played 31 hours and had a lot of stuff)
Sleeping Dogs is weird and it places game saves in the base folder of it's install directory (making it hard for me to put them in DropBox and symlink them.

Before your next uninstall spree http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

Five is half of Ten.
Not in octal it ain't.

So is Steam not doing Weekly Sales anymore...?   Nothing on the front page and of the 93 items on my wishlist only one is at a discount and its preorder sale.

Good lord. All I did was rate a single game 8/10. How did it start all that shit?

To clarify again, my 8/10 is akin to a school grade. So I give Far Cry 3 an 80%. Maybe in the future I'll just give out percentages, nobody will complain then. Even though, mathefuckingmatically, 8/10 and 80% are the same exact thing.

Weeklongs are at the same URL every week. Steam just hasn't put it on the front page yet.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals
Not much new there but this is the cheapest so far for Loren since it's a newish release for Steam, but not cheap enough for most people here. Also Winter Wolves has had stuff in Groupees and more recently, Humble so there's that.

I was kind of eying getting Rescue: Everyday Heroes with Gabe bucks but reviews seem to say it's pretty bad and that the Emergency games (which I own) are better anyway. Bleh.

Good lord. All I did was rate a single game 8/10. How did it start all that shit?

To clarify again, my 8/10 is akin to a school grade. So I give Far Cry 3 an 80%. Maybe in the future I'll just give out percentages, nobody will complain then. Even though, mathefuckingmatically, 8/10 and 80% are the same exact thing.
Oh you know how this place is, particularly when the deals suck and people are bored.

fuck you.

Might get Penny Arcade 4 and Evoland, both are much better deals now than when they were in Humble Weekly $6 tiers (also, Steambux.)

You do realize that School grades are given expecting an average of 70%, at least in the US, right?

Might get Penny Arcade 4 and Evoland, both are much better deals now than when they were in Humble Weekly $6 tiers (also, Steambux.)
Evoland is kind of generic, good concept but bad execution. I'd wait for it to be in another bundle or maybe for it to get cards. I bit on Penny Arcade 4 though.

Well shit, I am going to post my reviews, but just not tell you the scale, or use one that makes no sense just to fuck around with people.

I have reviewed your post and give it: purple xylophone

fuck you.

Dumbass.
ftfy

You do realize that School grades are given expecting an average of 70%, at least in the US, right?
Yeah...

Well shit, I am going to post my reviews, but just not tell you the scale, or use one that makes no sense just to fuck around with people.

I have reviewed your post and give it: purple xylophone
i posted multiple times how i use the 8/10 scale. Additionally, in past discussions i've posted my opinion on the subject. Also, since people took issue with the mathematics of how i used 1-10, my assessment was mathematically correct. I also didn't say "on a scale of 1-10, i give far cry an 8." That would be a likert scale, and totally different than saying 8/10. 8/10 literally means 8 divided by 10. Which means 80%. It's not fucking around with people when that's the way it really should be technically interpreted anyway. Sorry that my offhand comment about how i think Far Cry 3 is a bit overrated got blown way out of proportion, the point of my comment wasn't even the grade, it was more about how i thought it wasn't quite as good as it was made out to be.

Wow... really... I did all my crafting, got all the radio tower on the first island, librated about half of the camps there then moved on, i haven't gotten back yet.
I did the same thing. I did all my crafting, discovered all the radio towers and liberated all the outposts on the first island before doing my first story mission. The TR reference may be personal, but it seems to fit. While being a shooter at heart and you do have the ability to just shoot at will, stealth is strongly emphasized. Also, the never-killed-before to killing-everyone transformation of the protagonist is eerily similar.

I did the same thing. I did all my crafting, discovered all the radio towers and liberated all the outposts on the first island before doing my first story mission. The TR reference may be personal, but it seems to fit. While being a shooter at heart and you do have the ability to just shoot at will, stealth is strongly emphasized. Also, the never-killed-before to killing-everyone transformation of the protagonist is eerily similar.
Ah sure, from that angle of the story sure. I thought your were alluding to gameplay which I find rather different. (I did melee as much as possible in TR.) And TR2013 is easy to finish, FC3 isn't. (Just so damn long if you're trying to do everything.)

And you said the game was average . . .

edit: typical grade inflation, reviewer must attend an American higher education institute
where did i say it was average? i said it wasn't special. i never said it was average, i believe i said "good, nothing more"

Weeklongs are at the same URL every week. Steam just hasn't put it on the front page yet.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals
Wow. I am surprised that I actually own a good amount of the titles on sale this week. A bunch were recently bundled (Guise, Dino D-Day, Gunmetal (which is in a bundle RIGHT NOW at the $1 tier), Jack Keane 2, Velvet Assassin, Saturday Morning RPG, Hero of the Kingdom).

Evoland was in a recent Blink Bundle right before the Humble one. I think it's safe to say it'll be bundled again soon. Can't say anything about Penny Arcade, as I own 0 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back