Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was asleep when the whole auction/gems thing went on.

Am I right in saying...?

• Many of Steam's games were put up to auction and odds are, winners for good games would be hoarders or those who spend all their wages on Steam cards/events.
  • All the junk in your inventory could be converted in to gems with items having different values - not necessarily a ratio between card price and gems awarded.
Did I do the right thing by being unconscious and ignoring it all? :)
Yes, your points are correct (also throw in glitchers to that first group in point 1). I will say that it was interesting watching the disaster unfold -- so there's that.

Guys, check your market page, if you somehow managed to get some buy orders for gems through before the crash, they'll be there.

I just canceled $15 worth of glitched buy orders. Gaben ain't taking my profits away!

Guys, check your market page, if you somehow managed to get some buy orders for gems through before the crash, they'll be there.

I just canceled $15 worth of glitched buy orders. Gaben ain't taking my profits away!
I still have my gems that I mostly acquired through trashing stuff, only 1k of my 3k was from marketplace. I have a feeling they are going to bring it back in some capacity

[quote name="Syntax Error" post="12321918" timestamp="1418391361"]When I can turn that copy of Gun Monkeys in my inventory into gems, let me know.[/quote]
Dead Island epidemic FTW

So I was asleep when the whole auction/gems thing went on.

Am I right in saying...?

• Many of Steam's games were put up to auction and odds are, winners for good games would be hoarders or those who spend all their wages on Steam cards/events.
  • All the junk in your inventory could be converted in to gems with items having different values - not necessarily a ratio between card price and gems awarded.
Did I do the right thing by being unconscious and ignoring it all? :)
Carl,

As others have alluded to, it's actually only items in your inventory that Steam calls "Community" items, meaning cards, emoticons, and backgrounds, as far as I can tell. Coupons and games could not be converted.

But, yes, unless you have a metric ton of that sort of crap in your inventory (or possibly even then if you value sleep and/or sanity), it wasn't really worth bothering with.

[raging mode on]

Greenwich time!!!! Orchilla Time should have been kept as the name. Orchilla (Canary Islands) was ditched for Greenwich in 1884

[raging mode off]
Watch out England!

yA39lXw.jpg

Mechanical question: When a game says there are 100 copies available at auction, that means that, after the current auction, there will be 99 more auctions--as opposed to the top 100 bidders in that auction each winning a copy of the game--right?

Mechanical question: When a game says there are 100 copies available at auction, that means that, after the current auction, there will be 99 more auctions--as opposed to the top 100 bidders in that auction each winning a copy of the game--right?

Mechanical question: When a game says there are 100 copies available at auction, that means that, after the current auction, there will be 99 more auctions--as opposed to the top 100 bidders in that auction each winning a copy of the game--right?
Yea, only the highest bidder will get a copy when the first auction ends on the 15th, and a new auction (with all previous next highest bids carrying over) will start and end every 45 minutes thereafter until the 18th.

But since last night, the way they're going to handle the auctions may have changed since then. Just going to have to wait and see.

Mechanical question: When a game says there are 100 copies available at auction, that means that, after the current auction, there will be 99 more auctions--as opposed to the top 100 bidders in that auction each winning a copy of the game--right?
Yeah, auctions are separate, but bids are kept and top bids can't be canceled. Auctions ends every 45min after first auction. That's if feature ever comes back, it was pretty fucked up due to glitches.

Yeah, auctions are separate, but bids are kept and top bids can't be canceled. Auctions ends every 45min after first auction. That's if feature ever comes back, it was pretty fucked up due to glitches.
Right right, glitch glitch. Thanks for the clarification. The first auction wasn't supposed to end until Monday any though, right? Looked to me like they launched it early to see just how real things would get. :p

Right right, glitch glitch. Thanks for the clarification. The first auction wasn't supposed to end until Monday any though, right? Looked to me like they launched it early to see just how real things would get. :p
And as usual they failed to anticipate just how stupid things would actually get. When will Valve learn? I mean it's not like they don't have at least some kind of baseline to work from--I'm sure they have metrics on the marketplace and trading activity.

Did I read that Holiday trading cards are live now? And are trading at around $0.25?

If so, bear in mind that this happened last year, and card prices doubled to nearly $0.50 on the first day of the sale. Don't sell yet.

Steam must have outsourced this marketing idea to the Zimbobwe team. To be honest, it was a brilliant Deflation Scheme.  By Deflation, I mean taking all of those tradeable marketable items out of circulation.

1280px-Zimbabwe_%24100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

Expect the same to happen when the U.S. dollar crashes.

Card pricess have now risen from last night's dip. The question becomes, sell off the cards in complete sets or craft the badges and sell holiday cards? If holiday cards were worth 45-50 cents it would be better to craft, but they're still around 20-23 cents.

Card pricess have now risen from last night's dip. The question becomes, sell off the cards in complete sets or craft the badges and sell holiday cards? If holiday cards were worth 45-50 cents it would be better to craft, but they're still around 20-23 cents.
Well some, but many of very expensive are still down to 1% of value. I'll wait to and see what happens, no hurries.

Steam must have outsourced this marketing idea to the Zimbobwe team. To be honest, it was a brilliant Deflation Scheme. By Deflation, I mean taking all of those tradeable marketable items out of circulation.

Expect the same to happen when the U.S. dollar crashes.
Well, someone had to do it. May as well be me.

r6tq0um.jpg

And as usual they failed to anticipate just how stupid things would actually get. When will Valve learn? I mean it's not like they don't have at least some kind of baseline to work from--I'm sure they have metrics on the marketplace and trading activity.
They're always like this. I think the problem is the actual Valve employees live in a virtual ivory tower and don't interact with the community at all. They use outsourced people to do the actual dirty work of communicating with the peasants and it creates a buffer because they don't relay anything back to actual Valve employees.

This lets them live in a Polyanna rose colored glasses lala land and it's why they continually keep not seeing really obvious shit.

Pretty much at anything other than global domination through making a shit ton of money Valve fails at the internet.

To buy or not to but battlefront 2? I'll play singleplayer campaign, not thinking about multiplayer

About holiday cards. I'll wait until the first day to sell them

To buy or not to but battlefront 2? I'll play singleplayer campaign, not thinking about multiplayer About holiday cards. I'll wait until the first day to sell them
It's not really worth it for the campaign content, unless you just really like multiplayer shooters. There really isn't a story to speak of.

EDIT: If you liked and played the first Battlefront, then you know what you're getting.

So they are doing their Spring Cleaning sale this Christmas?  I mean it's logical for them to try to find a way to clear up all that worthless junk in people's inventory and get those pennies back into the economy.  It also looks really bad for their card/crafting system when it becomes clear the majority of the junk produced is worthless.  Though it seems most Steam users have the brain of 5 year old and will keep putting quarters into the vending machine hoping the next plastic egg has something of value in it. 

[quote name="warreni" post="12322171" timestamp="1418400204"]It's not really worth it for the campaign content, unless you just really like multiplayer shooters. There really isn't a story to speak of.

EDIT: If you liked and played the first Battlefront, then you know what you're getting.[/quote]
Never played a Battlefront game. I think I'll pass. I like MP shooters, but it depends on the game.

It's not really worth it for the campaign content, unless you just really like multiplayer shooters. There really isn't a story to speak of.

EDIT: If you liked and played the first Battlefront, then you know what you're getting.
Never played a Battlefront game. I think I'll pass. I like MP shooters, but it depends on the game.
I enjoyed the campaign back in 2005 or so and never had a chance to play much MP. I have fonder memories of that than the prequels themselves, anyway.

So they are doing their Spring Cleaning sale this Christmas? I mean it's logical for them to try to find a way to clear up all that worthless junk in people's inventory and get those pennies back into the economy. It also looks really bad for their card/crafting system when it becomes clear the majority of the junk produced is worthless. Though it seems most Steam users have the brain of 5 year old and will keep putting quarters into the vending machine hoping the next plastic egg has something of value in it.
Next spring Steam will allow you to convert gems into bracelets.

Then during the summer, you can convert bracelets into coins.

Then the following fall, you can convert coins into pogs.

Then during the holiday sale, convert pogs into rations.

Then after that you can convert rations into Gaben idols.

Next spring Steam will allow you to convert gems into bracelets.

Then during the summer, you can convert bracelets into coins.

Then the following fall, you can convert coins into pogs.

Then during the holiday sale, convert pogs into rations.

Then after that you can convert rations into Gaben idols.
Then after that you can convert Gaben idols into emoticons and backgrounds. And the cycle begins again.

You know, if they were smart they'd have left out the ability to purchase booster packs until after the auction was over. That way the event would have absorbed a huge chunk of the gems on the market and it wouldn't have caused card prices to plummet. 

Then after the event was over they could have announced that, "oh, by the way, any gem scraps remaining can be used to buy booster packs"

You know, if they were smart they'd have left out the ability to purchase booster packs until after the auction was over. That way the event would have absorbed a huge chunk of the gems on the market and it wouldn't have caused card prices to plummet.

Then after the event was over they could have announced that, "oh, by the way, any gem scraps remaining can be used to buy booster packs"
Valve made two primary mistakes imo:

1. Gems should not have been marketable/tradable. Also, instead of "auctions" the bidding should have been done like raffles or lotteries, so you get x entries for every y gems you spend.

2. Booster packs should have cost something like 5-10 times more gems to create, so that they wouldn't undercut card prices.

Anyone have any advice on amazing deals as an upgrade to a Geforce GTX 275? 

I upgraded my entire computer last year (aside the graphics card) but now it's time for an upgrade.

I'd like to keep the price under $200 since I'm a cheapass so I am looking at GTX 660s.

Anyone have any better suggestions in that range?  

(I tend to prefer NVIDIA cards but I've heard good things about the Radeon R9 270X).

2. Booster packs should have cost something like 5-10 times more gems to create, so that they wouldn't undercut card prices.
I was thinking of something in these lines.

The thing is, the booster prices are fine for non-glitched gem amounts. After all the mass emoticon buying and smelting I did, I should've been left with something around 32000 gems, but the glitch made that go up to 320,000, so all of a sudden I have enough to get boosters for lots of things at the prices they calculated.

That glitched screwed EVERYTHING up.

Edit: Also, I know I messed up by selling my cards early - I could've gotten maybe 20% more Gabenbux if I sold now or double the amount when the event starts - but I really don't want to play the waiting game anymore. I figured it wasn't worth my time... it's not like I'll buy stuff anyway, I already have most of what I want.

I upgraded my entire computer last year (aside the graphics card) but now it's time for an upgrade.

I'd like to keep the price under $200 since I'm a cheapass so I am looking at GTX 660s.

(I tend to prefer NVIDIA cards but I've heard good things about the Radeon R9 270X).
If you can stretch to about $330 or so, you should try to do it. This appears to be the bang for the buck sweet spot right now. Have a look at this article. The Radeon R9 290X and GeForce GTX 970 cards are going to be a significant upgrade for you and should be capable enough to hold you for quite a while.

As we move into the holiday season, keep an eye out for deals to knock it down a few extra bucks.

(I tend to prefer NVIDIA cards but I've heard good things about the Radeon R9 270X).
Do you plan to play Assassin's Creed: Unity PC anytime soon?

If yes - that game requires a GF 680. GF 660 is below the requirement there for AC:U PC.

Also, I have this funny feeling game requirements from AAA titles multi-platformed are only going to be stiff like ACU and might even get stiffer than that. Why? I think with more games likely going to use XB1 + PS4 as their low-end starting point and ditching the PS3 + XB360 versions entirely.

Also, b/c of these growing pains early on, into this new console-cycle - I smell the trend w/ a lack of optimization happening on the PC even more so, as well - until we get at least further into this console-cycle. It speaks volumes to me of this: it's just like how PC ports were turning out, once the X360 + PS3 first launched. So, that's why I think requirements are going to get stiffer.

Also - The Evil Within Demo ran like garbage on my PC. 15-20 frames per second often and even sometimes less in lower digital in 1080p on my PC (an Intel i7 950 @ approx. 3 Ghz; 16 GB RAM; 1 GB VRAM GeForce 560 Ti; Win 7 64-bit). This game looks like garbage in 720p on my PC, even though it runs much better.

And certainly, X: Rebirth + Watch Dogs PC ain't the best performing games on my rig on settings I'd really like to run that at, either. Like yourself - I need a vid-card upgrade.

"Trades involving Gems"... uh oh. I traded gems to four of my alts to make boosters. Hope they don't block me.

At least I'm getting some of my gem money back.

@ DrR0Ck - Unfortunately I don't have an extra $130 to spare right now.  I decided that  the people who in my family that want to 'get me a little something' and keep asking me what I want are pooling their money together for one "good" gift instead of gloves or a bag of socks.  Part of the 'problem' with this idea is that I need to tell them so they can order it for Christmas so I won't be able to add to the kitty to get something bigger without looking like a dick.  Thanks for the article though.  It's definitely something to think about.

@MysterD - I've really burnt out on AC as a whole - didn't even finish Black Flag (trying ACIII for a bit right before it didn't help) so I don't think Unity is in my immediate future - good point about other games though.  Thanks.

@ DrR0Ck - Unfortunately I don't have an extra $130 to spare right now. I decided that the people who in my family that want to 'get me a little something' and keep asking me what I want are pooling their money together for one "good" gift instead of gloves or a bag of socks. Part of the 'problem' with this idea is that I need to tell them so they can order it for Christmas so I won't be able to add to the kitty to get something bigger without looking like a dick. Thanks for the article though. It's definitely something to think about.

@MysterD - I've really burnt out on AC as a whole - didn't even finish Black Flag (trying ACIII for a bit right before it didn't help) so I don't think Unity is in my immediate future - good point about other games though. Thanks.
I personally wouldn't get a 660 as you will be a couple generations behind in cards already. I would at least look at the 700 series cards. Will help to keep you from having to upgrade sooner then later.

@ DrR0Ck - Unfortunately I don't have an extra $130 to spare right now. I decided that the people who in my family that want to 'get me a little something' and keep asking me what I want are pooling their money together for one "good" gift instead of gloves or a bag of socks. Part of the 'problem' with this idea is that I need to tell them so they can order it for Christmas so I won't be able to add to the kitty to get something bigger without looking like a dick. Thanks for the article though. It's definitely something to think about.

@MysterD - I've really burnt out on AC as a whole - didn't even finish Black Flag (trying ACIII for a bit right before it didn't help) so I don't think Unity is in my immediate future - good point about other games though. Thanks.
It's been a while since I bought a video card, but Tom's Hardware used to be a good resource. They break them down by price point, so it's easy to hone in on a certain price. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

I feel a bit let down... it's like Fox is purposely giving us just a few details but not enough to really satiate my curiosity.  You need to be more expressive when you tell us what's going on.  A tweet is just not enough  :)  

@ghost1914 - Yeah I noticed the 760s were close enough in price to the 660s so I'm checking those out.

@TwelveVolt - I was reading that exact article :) That's what got me looking at the Radeon R9 270Xs

As has been said, the 660s are old news. You could get a 760 (but not a 770) on your budget. What resolution do you game at? Because a good R9 280 or 280X would be perfect for 1080p as well.

Edit: check out the cards listed on www.pcpartpicker.com and see what's good for your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back