Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm what's Nuuvem? I'm completely new to PC gaming and I just started a week or two ago. Horrible timing, considering the Region Lock. Did pick up about 10 keys before that happened though. I'm in the US, can I use Nuuvem? Or is it restricted for me?
Yes, you can buy from them if you're in the US. A couple of tips...

The website is in Portugese, so you may need to copy and paste some text into a translator to make it out.

If you decide to buy from them, create your account before going through checkout. Problems will likely occur if you attempt to create your account during checkout. They also offer the option of using a Facebook or Twitter account if you're into that.

If I was going by money - Shadow of Mordor.

(I don't have SoM yet, BTW),

Though, going by actual games and their releases, in order - AC2 + Batman: Arkham games are both inspirations for SoM, in some ways.

So, I don't know...

{shrug}
the thing about going through backlog is that sometime you want to play the newest game YET you know that once u play that newer, more superior, feature rich game, you will never go back to the older one (unless the newer is a crappy one).

decision.. decision.. i WANT to play SOM (very good review) yet i know that i NEED go through AC2 and Batman first.. >.<

That's it, I'm not playing Dark Souls anymore until they complete the Steamworks migration.

Five seconds after I cease being hollow I get invaded again? Back during the GFWL era invasions weren't that common. :|

That's it, I'm not playing Dark Souls anymore until they complete the Steamworks migration.

Five seconds after I cease being hollow I get invaded again? Back during the GFWL era invasions weren't that common. :|
I'm willing to bet it's more common because a lot of people were heavily anticipating the transition so there's an increased userbase. For example, I played a good bit when the beta released, and I probably wouldn't have played it for at least a year or so of they weren't in the middle of a transition. Just either stay hollow or play offline

My experience has been the complete opposite. Since the steamworks beta started I've had zero invasions, and one successful summon. Even messages and bloodstains aren't really showing up for me. *shrug*

Switch your download region to some remote server. Invasion/co-op is based on that in the Steamworks version.

it was bundled once..
$10 tier doesn't count.

I'm willing to bet it's more common because a lot of people were heavily anticipating the transition so there's an increased userbase. For example, I played a good bit when the beta released, and I probably wouldn't have played it for at least a year or so of they weren't in the middle of a transition. Just either stay hollow or play offline
i thought half of the Dark Souls experience is online/multiplayer? is there any fun playing offline?

and while they intergrate Steamwork, why can't they fix the graphic too so that we do'nt have to use mod to improve the shoddy PC port?

Yeah, the bad half.  Jaykay... it works well within the framework of the game but at this point (with DS2 being out) most of the time it's just going to be sociopaths who are all-pro trolling new-ish players.

Just curious, but why not play as hollow. The only time I ever used humanity was to kindle or summon help.

^ That, too.  But, as I said, if you change your Steam download region to the far side of the moon then you won't get invasions.  Like, Foxhack, when I had mine set to Dallas or some other US region it wouldn't be more than a minute before I got invaded.  Changed it to... [SUPER SECRET LOCATION REDACTED] and I haven't gotten an invasion in hours walking around human.

How low can Prison Architect get before it's 'release?' Ah if only Russian Pricing were still around I'd grab it for $2. Probably be in the BTA tier of an upcoming Humble.
There is a 1000% chance that it will reappear in a future Humble bundle.

i thought half of the Dark Souls experience is online/multiplayer? is there any fun playing offline?

and while they intergrate Steamwork, why can't they fix the graphic too so that we do'nt have to use mod to improve the shoddy PC port?
Personally I play for the single player experience. I only really play multiplayer in order to assist in getting the achievements (some of they sorceries/miracles are covenant based, and while you can farm enemies to get the requirements, this can get stale so I'll also do PvP).

Theoretically, PvP could be a lot of fun, but as I mentioned last night a lot of the people who are into PvP are either just flat out douches (a few days ago I got invaded by a guy who refused to come out from a cluster of enemies - he wanted me to follow him in so he could attack me while I was getting attacked by other enemies), or they're people who prefer PvP to the single player experience and make specific builds that are beneficial for PvP (only play w/most efficient weapons, spam magic attacks, etc), and they tend to be really good so you just get your ass handed to you. Some of these people are ridiculously good (I'm pretty stale at DS at the moment, but I used to be pretty good - could take on Ornstein and Smough fairly easily in NG+ modes without a summon, and would still get my ass kicked by a lot of invaders). Also the people who love PvP tend to just do backstab fishing which is just really annoying.

DS1 PvP has a lot of issues. When, on the rare occasion, you get an invader who doesn't fit into one of the categories above it can definitely add to the game. The game on its own is really strong though and doesn't need PvP at all to stand out. DS2's PvP seemed to be much better, imho.

Just curious, but why not play as hollow. The only time I ever used humanity was to kindle or summon help.
Yeah, the bad half. Jaykay... it works well within the framework of the game but at this point (with DS2 being out) most of the time it's just going to be sociopaths who are all-pro trolling new-ish players.
I'm currently close to the part with the gargoyles and wanted to call a helper to give me a hand with them. But what's the point if I get attacked immediately and can't even get to them?!

^ That, too. But, as I said, if you change your Steam download region to the far side of the moon then you won't get invasions. Like, Foxhack, when I had mine set to Dallas or some other US region it wouldn't be more than a minute before I got invaded. Changed it to... [SUPER SECRET LOCATION REDACTED] and I haven't gotten an invasion in hours walking around human.
Wales?

No human beings there.

I'm currently close to the part with the gargoyles and wanted to call a helper to give me a hand with them. But what's the point if I get attacked immediately and can't even get to them?!
The twin gargs are actually rather simple (don't buy into the hype)... iirc, the "praise the sun" NPC will also offer to give you a hand. I wouldn't worry about finding another meatbag to help you.

Hey Flow, how many Gems did The Golf Club cost you in the auction that you won?

Seeing it there on sale has me regretting not copying you with your auction bid/win.

You can summon both JOLLY CO-OP dude and the dude you free from the prison behind the wall on the second level of the church.   The two of them make the fight pretty easy.  Of course, you have to be in human form to summon npcs.  Just pick an obscure Steam download region and your problems will be over.

Hey Flow, how many Gems did The Golf Club cost you in the auction that you won?

Seeing it there on sale has me regretting not copying you with your auction bid/win.
7300 I think. Got lucky with that one. It was going for around 8000-8500 at the height of the auction (when sacks cost $1.15).

Haven't played yet but it's apparently not setup for joypad? If so, what the hell?! Who plays golf games o0n KB&M?

Edit: it has "partial" controller support. I hate it when they say that.

7300 I think. Got lucky with that one. It was going for around 8000-8500 at the height of the auction (when sacks cost $1.15).

Haven't played yet but it's apparently not setup for joypad? If so, what the hell?! Who plays golf games on KB&M?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkfrEeJ09nE

Play offline. All the help you need is in game. There are NPC summons before all the harder boss fights. Also get the drake sword. It's really overpowered early on in the game (although it quickly becomes useless), and makes slicing through the gargoyles fairly easy.

Auctions make this sale look like shit
Shit makes this sale look like explosive diarrhea

God do I miss being a PC newbie. Everything was amazing after being a console peasant for so long...a horrible steam sale is like the best console sale there is
Yea I understand what you mean but I'm still in for console gaming. Sale prices have been super good on PC though. Just got DeadSpace 1 & 2 and Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Fallout New Vegas all for $22.

God do I miss being a PC newbie. Everything was amazing after being a console peasant for so long...a horrible steam sale is like the best console sale there is
Yea I understand what you mean but I'm still in for console gaming. Sale prices have been super good on PC though. Just got DeadSpace 1 & 2 and Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Fallout New Vegas all for $22.

Personally I play for the single player experience. I only really play multiplayer in order to assist in getting the achievements (some of they sorceries/miracles are covenant based, and while you can farm enemies to get the requirements, this can get stale so I'll also do PvP).

Theoretically, PvP could be a lot of fun, but as I mentioned last night a lot of the people who are into PvP are either just flat out douches (a few days ago I got invaded by a guy who refused to come out from a cluster of enemies - he wanted me to follow him in so he could attack me while I was getting attacked by other enemies), or they're people who prefer PvP to the single player experience and make specific builds that are beneficial for PvP (only play w/most efficient weapons, spam magic attacks, etc), and they tend to be really good so you just get your ass handed to you. Some of these people are ridiculously good (I'm pretty stale at DS at the moment, but I used to be pretty good - could take on Ornstein and Smough fairly easily in NG+ modes without a summon, and would still get my ass kicked by a lot of invaders). Also the people who love PvP tend to just do backstab fishing which is just really annoying.

DS1 PvP has a lot of issues. When, on the rare occasion, you get an invader who doesn't fit into one of the categories above it can definitely add to the game. The game on its own is really strong though and doesn't need PvP at all to stand out. DS2's PvP seemed to be much better, imho.
that sounds annoying as hell. So the game still fun with offline, single player?

The Golf Club - 5 minute review

Decent, so far. Not fully polished but I didn't expect it to be. A few observations:

1) its fully-mapped to the Xbox 360 controller, as far as I can tell. You "swing" by pulling back the right analog stick and pushing forward again. It's a good system that's worked well on numerous other golf games;

2) it doesn't spoon-feed you distances. I hit a drive, and it chose a 7-iron for my second shot. I assumed it would be enough, but I actually overhit by quite a bit. I suspect we're meant to check the "hole view" and make a judgement based on how far we've hit, and how far we have left. Interesting choice of design. The Tiger Woods games always felt a little bit too easy in this regard;

3) achievements are broken. Well, one is. I got an achievement for "putting more than one mile in total". With my second putt. Go me!;

4) couldn't see a tutorial. I should probably look harder.;

5) seems competent so far. 60% off might not be a bad deal if you actually like golf. If not, save your pennies.

:whee:

I did back in the day and had a good time with it. It is more than worth the sale price.
+1

Was one of my favorite rts back in the day and bought it (through the ruskies) day one. Still as good today as it was then. IMHO no other rts is really like it with mixing and matching of different time periods within a reasonable amount of time. Doesnt take hours to get to an end game so you can play a fulfilling SP skirmish in an hour or so. It also still doesnt look half bad, looks better than the AoE(1,2) games IMHO

Which reminds me, gotta go back and see if their workshop is fully up and running, was hoping for some graphical updates and mods for it. Last I checked people did port alot of the maps and scenarios over

What a wholly underwhelming sale thus far. Granted, there have been a handful of really good deals on games I already own (as I expect and dont complain about) but its like they're not even trying. The changes they've made to flash and community really have lessened the whole "I gotta check Steam again" feeling sales brought.

The online component adds an interesting facet to Derp Souls but, as others have mentioned, it's now mostly filled with griefing douches.  But, yes, single player it's still a solid game.  A bit too desolate and grindy for me to call it 'GREAT' but the combat is well done and the level of character customization is probably the best I've seen in an action RPG.

I know, I have almost $100 steam credit from selling cards, so I was going to use that on it.
$100? That's nothing...

HfGZNiL.png

My paypal has been safe from Steam since cards were released 1.5 years ago and at first I was thinking cards are going to be useless gimmick.

Has that been in the past two weeks? Before that I didn't have a computer remotely close to running any type of games.
Are you honestly saying that you wouldn't buy those for a buck, because your computer system wouldn't play them? Would you pass up Sunset Overdrive & The Last of Us HD for a buck, just because you hadn't yet bought your PS4?

Are you honestly saying that you wouldn't buy those for a buck, because your computer system wouldn't play them? Would you pass up Sunset Overdrive & The Last of Us HD for a buck, just because you hadn't yet bought your PS4?
Or Alien Isolation + 2 other games for $0.99 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back