Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
This really maybe the worst of Steam's event sales. It's less about the deals (they mostly stink) but there's just no reason to care anymore. It used to be a regular thing to check every 8 hours at least for flash/cc. Now it doesnt even matter. The day is basically over immediately.
You're actually complaining about not being forced to obsessively check a sale page (a marketing tactic) and having more time to see deals without missing them? And all with no decrease to the total number of games going on flash deal, since there are 6 at a time now instead of 3 4?

I'd call that the best change of the sale compared to the previous.

You're actually complaining about not being forced to obsessively check a sale page (a marketing tactic) and having more time to see deals without missing them? And all with no decrease to the total number of games going on flash deal, since there are 6 at a time now instead of 3?

Used to be 4 flash sales every 8 hours. Now there are 6 every 12. Both of those total 12 games a day. The difference now is 1 community choice per day, which all have proven to be garbage thus far. To combat that, they put the loser on a slightly-higher-than-normal discount. What this amounts to is nowhere near the 4 games that would win the community choice every 8 hours during the summer sale, or even the 1 that won a large discount every 8 hours last winter.

And how many times were people here ever satisfied with the community votes? Not often. More of them just means more suckage for people to complain about.

The booby prize discount bugs me more because while in the past losers generally eventually got the same discount they would have gotten had they won, this crappier discount for a day sort of implies that won't happen.

What I really want is for Steam to start doing gog-like bundles. Publisher packs are nice but gog introduced me to games I never would've looked at if they didn't come with huge titles for 85% off. And of course Steam would need to start cutting the price of games you already own from the bundle...

You're actually complaining about not being forced to obsessively check a sale page (a marketing tactic) and having more time to see deals without missing them? And all with no decrease to the total number of games going on flash deal, since there are 6 at a time now instead of 3 4?

Wait, there are deals?

What I really want is for Steam to start doing gog-like bundles. Publisher packs are nice but gog introduced me to games I never would've looked at if they didn't come with huge titles for 85% off. And of course Steam would need to start cutting the price of games you already own from the bundle...
Yeah, and Steam should do an Insomnia Sale. That'd be great!

Hey don't tell me what to...

*buys*

goddammit
Your sacrifice shall not be forgotten! :)

I'm tempted to go in for Spelunky. If I didn't have some games to play I'd probably get it, but since it'll probably get bundled or at least go on deep discount again I can resist.

Just throwing it out there that if you intend at all to play it shortly after purchase, Spelunky is most definitely worth 3 bucks. Great, addicting game

Is it just me or could the algorithm for displaying games in the endless steam front page use a little work?  I mean I know it is going to repeat itself but this is ridiculous.

hMmNURr.jpg

It's like it's not even trying.

Those "buy them all for the best discount" bundles are what make me not buy stuff from there. I usually only want a game or two and the total price ends up being more than I want to spend.

Is it worth getting the DLC for Darksiders II?

Already own Darksiders and thinking about the Franchise Pack
The Darksiders II DLC really isn't worth it. The weapons look cool, but you out-level them very quickly, and then the only use you can get out of them is feeding them to better weapons, and they're not even good for that. The armor is the same, except you can't recycle it. The Abyssal Forge is an okay dungeon but with almost no story. I didn't even bother with Belial, as it wasn't necessary for the 100% and I was Darksiders'd out. Oh, and for achievement hunters, beware of possibly not being able to get the community achievements because the mailing system becomes unavailable at times.

Heck, I don't seem to even watch shows until they've been cancelled. ...and there is a mighty backlog. :D
^_^ That's my preference. But my absolute minimum is to have one season available, e.g. Dexter, White Collar, Game of Thrones, etc.

You're too young to remember this, but in days of yore, when thyne steam sale 'twas righteous, publisher packs were bountiful, discounts were large, and backcatalog 'twas amply discounted.

Maybe the dev/prod paid for a large and small ad. Maybe..
I guess that might work... if Heroes V, Dungeon Siege, Volgarr & Scratches devs all paid for 2 small ads..

but no, I think it's just a bad algorithm. I guess the best that can be said is that none of the doubles are actually touching themselves.

(My inner 12 year old is laughing at that last sentence fragment)

PvZ Garden Warfare for $7.50 (75%) not cheap enough for you?

Origin is giving away

Sims 4 Holiday Celebration Pack - $0

...and I could snag it without owning Sims 4.
If you're going for free Origin stuff that you have absolutely no use for there's also this:

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/dragon-age-inquisition/pc-download/addon/dragon-age-inquisition--destruction-multiplayer-expansion

On a completely unrelated note, I have a confession that while the Steam sale does nothing for me, I am mezmerized by the jello snowman.

Ubvoefq.gif

^_^ That's my preference. But my absolute minimum is to have one season available, e.g. Dexter, White Collar, Game of Thrones, etc.
More and more I find myself refusing to watch a show until it wraps up a second season. Pisses me off to no end to get hooked on a show only to see it cancelled right after I started getting into it. Terra Nova. That show about the submarine captain not firing the missile and being hunted by the military. So many goods ones come and gone.

New Releases

Starwalker- $14.99

Dwarf Tower- $2.99

Ukrainian Ninja- $2.49

One Late Night: Deadline- $14.99

Geometry Dash- $3.99

Psy High- $1.97

I Will Escape(early access)- $11.69

The Repopulation- $33.99

BF4 Standard Edition is $5 at Gamestop. Is the Single Player Campaign worth $5?
Took me about 10 hours - campaign itself was a blast w/ its action and the way it tracks how you play, unlock guns, and all of that (which could make it quite replayable for some).

Though story development + character development from DICE is pretty weak; think like Crysis type of weak.

If you're here for the gameplay, shootouts, gorgeous graphics - this is the best campaign SP campaign DICE has put together since BF:BC2.

The MP's great and the real crowning jewel, though - as one would expect from a BF game.

You really should play the MP, IMHO.

Took me about 10 hours - campaign itself was a blast w/ its action and the way it tracks how you play, unlock guns, and all of that (which could make it quite replayable for some).
Though story development + character development from DICE is pretty weak; think like Crysis type of weak.

If you're here for the gameplay, shootouts, gorgeous graphics - this is the best campaign SP campaign DICE has put together since BF:BC2.

The MP's great and the real crowning jewel, though - as one would expect from a BF game.
You really should play the MP, IMHO.
I found BF4 campaign really boring and MP was... Not for me, everyone were uber soldiers with mega weapons and scoping you from every corner. I liked BF:BL2 SP and MP, I even liked BF3, but BF4... No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back