Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
That guy sounds like a douchebag, searching for answers to questions no one is asking. I don't want a persistent Tomb Raider world. Part of of what I like about the game is that I get a story and a somewhat unique locale to enjoy for a while and then... boom. I'm done. I don't want to stay on the "Island of Yucatai" or whatever it is forever.

Frankly, there are very few games that I finish where I say "gee, I wish I could play this for 20 more hours. About half the time I find myself wishing it would be done already.

Give me a quality six to eight hour experience and if it's extra-special I'm down for an expansion pack or something. Then move on.

When is the last time you went to see a movie, and when it was done you said, "Gee... I wish I could see 4 more hours of this movie every single day"? Right, never.

I may be wrong, but I just can't see Squeenix doing this right and I can't help but think they're in it for all the wrong reasons. Not every game needs to be stuffed into the same mold and with titles like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex, you're sort of taking away what is special about them when you string them out and make them open-ended. My greatest fear being, of course, that these "MMO-ized" games replace proper sequels to good games.
Mostly agreed, but the movie comment reminded me that there are a bunch of really good episodic tv shows that ended way too early (been rewatching HBO stuff on Amazon Prime). I would kill for more Rome, Deadwood. It's the writing what does it, and it's sad that the most critically acclaimed stuff in video games, currently at least, doesn't even hold a candle to that. I wish Telltale could get hold of talent on that level; their stuff is sadly overrated.

I don't think you have much to talk about. Starforce DRM was the worst crap we've ever had and it is no longer an issue. If you played console (IF haha), then you should know that a while ago, EA start charging people for playing multiplayer i.e. FIFA, Madden etc. After the big backslash, they stop doing it.. for now
If we're talking straight-up DRM - StarForce was probably the nastiest. Namely b/c of the harm it could do to any part of your system. It could cause security issues to your PC; speed-up + speed-down of your optical drive which could burn it out and/or ruin the drive completely; the way it manipulates your drive + measures the disc could eventually cause the disc to shatter into pieces; game might have issues booting on OS's it wasn't designed for (i.e. SF games initially out-the-game did NOT work on Windows Vista); discs installs special StarForce drivers (often behind your back); and the list goes on.

Always-online DRM is just account-based, normally - just sign into your account and be online. This sucks, if you want to play your game offline - and for some reason, you can't get a connection to their servers; whether it's on their end, your end, ISP's end, or whatever. To me, if you can solo the game w/out anyone else around (think D3 + RoS on the PC), there's no real reason at a later date when player numbers dwindle to a very low number, they just don't institute an offline mode as a last resort to keep the game alive for the gamers who want to keep it alive themselves.

Mostly agreed, but the movie comment reminded me that there are a bunch of really good episodic tv shows that ended way too early (been rewatching HBO stuff on Amazon Prime). I would kill for more Rome, Deadwood. It's the writing what does it, and it's sad that the most critically acclaimed stuff in video games, currently at least, doesn't even hold a candle to that. I wish Telltale could get hold of talent on that level; their stuff is sadly overrated.
Yeah, I'm not saying the Deus Ex universe couldn't be an interesting place for an MMO, but that's not really what the game is about and I'm utterly lacking in confidence that Squeenix would go about it in the right way.

Yeah, I'm not saying the Deus Ex universe couldn't be an interesting place for an MMO, but that's not really what the game is about and I'm utterly lacking in confidence that Squeenix would go about it in the right way.
I think the thing is this - I, and probably many others, as well - don't really want to see Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Elder Scrolls, and any other old-style SP-style games that are known for that experience just get shoe-horned into the always-online atmosphere. We like them for their offline experiences b/c they bring something to the table in its SP-experience.

While I'm not fond of always-online experiences normally, I'd just rather a game company create something brand-new entirely - like say Shadow Realms + Destiny - and just flat-out make those always-online games from the get-go.

For all u animu/waifu lovers, Cho Dengeki Stryker All Ages Version is out now and it's $19.24
This is the All Ages version. All explicit adult content has been removed; however, it does contain violence, coarse language, suggestive themes, and partial nudity.

No explicit adult content, no buy

Destiny Thoughts:

Takes a lot to get this going on PS3, download patch, copy game to the system, etc.  A lot of effort for a 1 day rental, but worth it.

The game looks great even on PS3 and it plays really well too.  It plays like a really good FPS.  That's my main issue with most shooter MMOs is that the shooting mechanics usually suck or are secondary.  This just feels really good and satisfying.  The story so far is great and it really doesn't feel like an MMO since you don't see a million other people running around randomly like in most MMOs.  I'd say this is sort of like if Rage was an MMO.  

Definitely will keep a look out for sales on this one.  

Did anyone forget that if an artist is actually gonna rap, that they actually have to spit some worthwhile bars?

The opening double-entendre she threw was slick, but...that was where it pretty much ended unfortunately, pretty much.

A: No one is paying any attention to her rapping.
B: She's as fake as can be, and not just her ass. See point A.

I don't bother to critique a vast majority of mainstream rap anyway, it's become vapid. Tech N9ne though? I'll put in a call to get on the guest list (and I hate asking for things), heh. But seriously, if anyone actually cares about rap, and want it to be more than something playing in the background, they're going to look past most of what the mainstream does.

Edit:I applaud you for knowing what bars are, but that list is just sad... besides I don't want to hear about Wu Tang or their affiliates right now.

An "artist" rap? LOL, I know it's MysterD but hot damn, that's a good one.
Good to see some more hip-hop CAGs but I know some people hate on it because of what is dominate on the radio. I gave up on trying to convince people we have artist in rap like rock, country or any other art form because you will find sellouts or bad music in all genres.

Destiny Thoughts:

Takes a lot to get this going on PS3, download patch, copy game to the system, etc. A lot of effort for a 1 day rental, but worth it.

The game looks great even on PS3 and it plays really well too. It plays like a really good FPS. That's my main issue with most shooter MMOs is that the shooting mechanics usually suck or are secondary. This just feels really good and satisfying. The story so far is great and it really doesn't feel like an MMO since you don't see a million other people running around randomly like in most MMOs. I'd say this is sort of like if Rage was an MMO.

Wow, That sounds refreshing! Everything I've heard until this post was: Like Borderlands, just not as funny.

I can't wait for it to come to PC!

Destiny Thoughts:

Takes a lot to get this going on PS3, download patch, copy game to the system, etc. A lot of effort for a 1 day rental, but worth it.

The game looks great even on PS3 and it plays really well too. It plays like a really good FPS. That's my main issue with most shooter MMOs is that the shooting mechanics usually suck or are secondary. This just feels really good and satisfying. The story so far is great and it really doesn't feel like an MMO since you don't see a million other people running around randomly like in most MMOs. I'd say this is sort of like if Rage was an MMO.

here is another take on Destiny

"The game has been dinged for a lack of content, a lack of story and a lack of refinement. Destiny seems to suffer from "The Lack," which is actually a perfectly acceptable name for a new Destiny villain race."

Meta-review: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/16/metareview-destiny/

Wow, That sounds refreshing! Everything I've heard until this post was: Like Borderlands, just not as funny.

I can't wait for it to come to PC!

here is another take on Destiny

"The game has been dinged for a lack of content, a lack of story and a lack of refinement. Destiny seems to suffer from "The Lack," which is actually a perfectly acceptable name for a new Destiny villain race."

Meta-review: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/16/metareview-destiny/
Admittedly, I only had the game for a day so I can't speak to long term content or the end story. The story seemed good to me from what i played. It's an MMO and the devs are supposed to be adjusting content based on in game events as time goes on. Give it's an MMO I expect content to get added as time goes so that should address some of the concerns about content.

I notice that "take" on the game isn't a review itself, but a summary of 5 other reviews of the game, two of which are very positive and the other three are 3/5 so average to good. I also notice that even the positive reviews the person who wrote that up just pulled some of the more negative quotes to support the point they were trying to make so I wouldn't really put much stock in that particular summary.

Admittedly, I only had the game for a day so I can't speak to long term content or the end story. The story seemed good to me from what i played. It's an MMO and the devs are supposed to be adjusting content based on in game events as time goes on. Give it's an MMO I expect content to get added as time goes so that should address some of the concerns about content.

I notice that "take" on the game isn't a review itself, but a summary of 5 other reviews of the game, two of which are very positive and the other three are 3/5 so average to good. I also notice that even the positive reviews the person who wrote that up just pulled some of the more negative quotes to support the point they were trying to make so I wouldn't really put much stock in that particular summary.
personally, Destiny is mediocre and unworthy of Bungie's legendary name. The guy above pretty much sum it up pretty well --> the unfunny version of Borderland 2. Definitely not a step forward for the genre. I thought this would be Titanfall killer but it doesn't seem to be the multiplayer shooter that we look for to trump the 10 years of COD dominance. I played this at my cousin house and it was.. meh. I am not in a hurry to rush out of the door to buy this day one. Maybe when I work away my backlog then I try it again.

3 Stars of Destiny has cards now.  It must have been in a bundle, so maybe you have it.

I don't know why I'm bothering to post since we all learn this nowadays by firing up Idle_Master and seeing whether it catches anything.   :whistle2:

personally, Destiny is mediocre and unworthy of Bungie's legendary name. The guy above pretty much sum it up pretty well --> the unfunny version of Borderland 2. Definitely not a step forward for the genre. I thought this would be Titanfall killer but it doesn't seem to be the multiplayer shooter that we look for to trump the 10 years of COD dominance. I played this at my cousin house and it was.. meh. I am not in a hurry to rush out of the door to buy this day one. Maybe when I work away my backlog then I try it again.
I have not played Destiny, but I have a feeling it will not live up to the hype. I had the same feeling about Titanfall and it did not live up to the hype. It didn't live up to CoD4 or MW2.

I have not played Destiny, but I have a feeling it will not live up to the hype. I had the same feeling about Titanfall and it did not live up to the hype. It didn't live up to CoD4 or MW2.
Both Titanfall + Destiny had ridiculous amount of hypes + buzz surrounding them.

It could take a bunch of patches, expansions, and/or DLC's to make them where many might they should've been in the first place.

It pretty much rang true for Diablo 3, as well.

D3 (base-game) just did not live up to the hype, out-the-gate, IMHO.

It wasn't until both Loot 2.0 (patch) + RoS (expansion) both changed the game immensely + entirely.

EDIT:

Granted, I ain't played Destiny yet - since it ain't on PC.

I have indeed played D3 + RoS; and Titanfall.

damn i thought i was special :cry:
photo-29209.png

My front page says $2.49 for the collection but when I add to cart I end up with just Fallout 2.  Bummer.

My front page says $2.49 for the collection but when I add to cart I end up with just Fallout 2. Bummer.
Same here, but instead it added nothing to my cart at first, and when I tried again, just Fallout 2. Its fine though, I think I have them on GOG where I'll also never play them.

hey guys, I tried Wasteland 2 and it was epic.  The game was obviously made with tons of love & support from the developers.  this is the 2nd game I fakeybro in the Fall and worth every penny

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back