Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just Built my first gaming pc and im lost here.... i cant get use to keyboard and mouse,i dont know which games to try out.i will say the the steam interface feels SO good compared to those dam laggy consoles. 

I just bought my Built my first gaming pc and im lost here.... i cant get use to keyboard and mouse,i dont know which games to try out.
Portal. Not only is it one of the greatest games ever, but it will give you a easy paced platform to practice your WASDing and get used to controlling movement with a mouse.

Portal. Not only is it one of the greatest games ever, but it will give you a easy paced platform to practice your WASDing and get used to controlling movement with a mouse.
Unfortunately i already played both portals on consoles and really don't want to play them again,although portal 2 is a masterpiece.

This! I swear by my G13 for shootas. It's also much easier on my screwed up carpal tunnel hands.
i swear by this...

old-style-computer-mouse-5913370.jpg

I have all three and use them in all types of games. Why wouldn't you want to use one with an FPS?
There are some good, console player-friendly FPS games, but a very large chunk of them - especially those which were never ported to consoles - weren't designed with gamepads in mind. Many don't even have a way to map the controls to a gamepad without using additional software.

A gamepad is fine too, but what will happen when he can't use it? Better to let him know the basics of WASD+mouse usage now so he can be ready when he gets a game that isn't pad-friendly.

There are some good, console player-friendly FPS games, but a very large chunk of them - especially those which were never ported to consoles - weren't designed with gamepads in mind. Many don't even have a way to map the controls to a gamepad without using additional software.

A gamepad is fine too, but what will happen when he can't use it? Better to let him know the basics of WASD+mouse usage now so he can be ready when he gets a game that isn't pad-friendly.
Because controllers are objectively inferior to mice when it comes to aiming quickly and accurately.
I think you both need to look up the products I mentioned. None of them are controllers (i.e. twin analog stick devices).

I just Built my first gaming pc and im lost here.... i cant get use to keyboard and mouse,i dont know which games to try out.i will say the the steam interface feels SO good compared to those dam laggy consoles.
Just get a Dualshock 4 and plug it in to your pc. Boom, problem solved.

Games that aren't pad friendly are usually casual mobile ports, point n click adventure games, and RTS. Probably easier sticking with pad until needing to play one of those genres.

Knowing how to map a controller is important. By adding Trigger + anything can almost double buttons available. Do that with triggers and bumpers as needed.

Games that aren't pad friendly are usually casual mobile ports, point n click adventure games, and RTS. Probably easier sticking with pad until needing to play one of those genres.

Knowing how to map a controller is important. By adding Trigger + anything can almost double buttons available. Do that with triggers and bumpers as needed.
Doom / Quake (well the readily available PC versions, anyway) beg to differ. And there are some pad friendly adventure games, Telltale is responsible for several (but they're console ports, so.) And isn't the first Mass Effect on PC unable to use gamepads without using mods?

I'm not saying he has to use WASD exclusively, just that he learns the basics so he's ready later.

...also, judging by that picture dfg posted... I picked up a G13 earlier in the week for five bucks. I wasn't even sure what the hell it was.

I'm vacationing in Europe and steam is charging me crappy euro prices, I'm an American dang it!
3 years of VPN for $19!

Read about this through Lifehacker.

Sale ends in 12 days.

Thought it would be a good heads up if you are always on the public wifi. I have been traveling a lot this summer and in hotels so I thought it would be a good snag.

I am using a different home-served VPN, but this is 3 years of VPN for $19! Pretty sweet... I may bite before the sale ends

Didn't see this mentioned...

Newegg (Ends 9/21)
LEGO Complete Heroes Pack (Steam) - $29.99 after promo code EMCPAHP34

• LEGO Batman
  • LEGO Batman 2
  • LEGO Harry Potter Years 1 - 4
  • LEGO Harry Potter Years 5 - 7
  • LEGO Lord of the Rings
  • LEGO The Hobbit
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

This! I swear by my G13 for shootas. It's also much easier on my screwed up carpal tunnel hands.
Agreed, when people say keyboard and mouse are better than a controller for fps they really just mean the mouse for aiming. I 've used different versions of the nostromo for years. It's great for providing access to a lot of well placed buttons and you can use a joystick style movement. I prefer the analog stick movement plus mouse aiming.

Ireland had good public wifi, but I'm in norway now and have very little public wifi. Flying to Germany for oktoberfest tonight so hopefully there's good public wifi in munich. Also, norway is ridiculously expensive for americans. It's a good thing I nickel and dime video game purchases lol.

I know i can use pads, i was using the ds4 earlier but some of the games just have to much going on on the screen. i rather just learn how to use the keyboard and mouse. but your right i dont have to use the computer setup for every game just the demanding ones.

why is Fallout Collection priced $3.74 in the title/post but $4.99 on Steam?  Is it a mistake or do I need to do something to get it for $3.74?

I know i can use pads, i was using the ds4 earlier but some of the games just have to much going on on the screen. i rather just learn how to use the keyboard and mouse. but your right i dont have to use the computer setup for every game just the demanding ones.
I'd suggest playing stuff that's slower paced/low intensity. Portal, Minecraft, Gone Home, possibly Fallout 3 (you can pause almost constantly during combat with VATs and the tutorial/prologue gives you plenty of time to get acclimated to the controls) and QUBE would probably be decent places to start.

I'd suggest playing stuff that's slower paced/low intensity. Portal, Minecraft, Gone Home, possibly Fallout 3 (you can pause almost constantly during combat with VATs and the tutorial/prologue gives you plenty of time to get acclimated to the controls) and QUBE would probably be decent places to start.
Gah, you guys all fail. Clearly the first FPS a noob should play is Half-Life. And for the love of all that is Gaben, use WASD, not the arrow keys!

why is Fallout Collection priced $3.74 in the title/post but $4.99 on Steam? Is it a mistake or do I need to do something to get it for $3.74?
Make a $1.25 donation to Steam, then it unlocks the $3.74 price. Win!

Anyone have experience with this collection on Steam in comparison to GOG? I know GOG does some nice treatments for these older games and I was wondering if these editions on Steam have been optimized to play on newer systems as well?

Make a $1.25 donation to Steam, then it unlocks the $3.74 price. Win!

Anyone have experience with this collection on Steam in comparison to GOG? I know GOG does some nice treatments for these older games and I was wondering if these editions on Steam have been optimized to play on newer systems as well?
Wasn't the fallout collection removed from gog, too lazy too look it up on mobile.

[quote name="MysterD" post="12110208" timestamp="1411295400"]Wait - what?!?
I thought the rumor flying around was that Ariana Grande is dating (rapper) Big Sean.[/quote]
Did you read that in Teen Beat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back