Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nuuvem dailies:

Castlevania:...

-- The LoS 2 discount is still active: $5.17 USD (80% off), DLCs are 0.37 USD, Revelations is 2.95 USD, Base game is North and South America region locked, DLCs are not
FWIW on Reddit people are reporting it activated in the US, Europe and Australia in spite of what the page says and this was as of a few days ago. Also I couldn't find any version of it with a reference to being region locked in the Americas, Europe, Australia etc, only restrictions I saw were for Asia.

*Edited to add: I already own it having gotten it on an Amazon sale a while back and can't verify this personally so don't blame me if it doesn't activate for you. :p

I'd be interested in knowing what everyone's favorite video game soundtracks are. I listen to background music while I work, so ideally just music, no songs. So far I have been really enjoying Expedition: Conquistadors and Bastion. I'll toss you some bundle fodder if I listen to and enjoy your suggestion!
The entire Legend of Zelda series makes exceptional music, some of my favorite individual games are Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time

The Elder Scrolls series, my favorite soundtrack of those being Oblivion, followed by Morrowind

FTL

FC3 Blood Dragon

Bioshock Infinite

Hotline Miami

FWIW on Reddit people are reporting it activated in the US, Europe and Australia in spite of what the page says and this was as of a few days ago. Also I couldn't find any version of it with a reference to being region locked in the Americas, Europe, Australia etc, only restrictions I saw were for Asia.

*Edited to add: I already own it having gotten it on an Amazon sale a while back and can't verify this personally so don't blame me if it doesn't activate for you. :p
I only repeat what the page says. Whether or not it's true, well, that's not up to me to find out. ;p

So, I just 100%ed Magicians & Looters, and had to play the game twice. My first run was 5 and a half hours long, my second (speedrun) was one hour and thirteen minutes. Pros: Good self-referential humor, decent map design, good music and graphics. Cons: Very short, the game can sometimes go nuts with the fireballs, the map doesn't show where the entrances and exits to levels are which is completely mindboggling, and that ending sucked. Still worth buying and playing through in my opinion.

I'd be interested in knowing what everyone's favorite video game soundtracks are. I listen to background music while I work, so ideally just music, no songs. So far I have been really enjoying Expedition: Conquistadors and Bastion. I'll toss you some bundle fodder if I listen to and enjoy your suggestion!
Morrowind. Pretty much anything composed by Jeremy Soule (sp?), really, but Morrowind's soundtrack was the bee's knees.

Dragon Age Inquisition's soundtrack is also pretty awesome. And I say this as someone who's generally meh about game soundtracks.

The Wolf Among us

Monaco

Dear Esther

The Last of Us

The Skyrim Soundtrack

Potatoman Seeks the Truth (So good)

Bastion

Assassin's Creed Black Flag

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

World of Goo

Beyond Good and Evil

Silent Hill series

Alice: Madness Returns

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Zelda: Wind Waker

Every Zelda game, really.

I'd be interested in knowing what everyone's favorite video game soundtracks are
Lots of good mentions already, but I'll add:

The Secret World (Marc Canham): moody, dramatic, but not distracting

Endless Space: ethereal without breaking concentration

Deus Ex Human Revolution / XCOM (Michael McCann): not sure if he just has a signature sound (kinda like Hans Zimmer until about 2010), but DXHR and XCOM soundtracks feel like one album.

Beats Antique (not a game, but if you like Bastion, I spent a couple hours trying to round up similar sounds and B.A. is the top one I remember from my Spotify miniproject); runner up Argo (movie) OST. More random: go back in time and listen to some Dick Dale, father of the summer beach guitar who brought in Middle East sound.

There are many reasons to listen to soundtracks, my main ones are for atmosphere/mood and background. That means no or few vocals (any that are need to be as close to music rather than poetry as possible), and I actually prefer a steady mood rather than jumping from emotion to emotion (it's hard to listen to just the music folder from a game where there's light exploration music and action heavy combat music). Rarely I listen to remind me of the game itself (Chrono Trigger), and I'm more likely to listen to the soundtracks with nice dramatic bits (Bastion, which actually was put together from um GarageBand samples).

For the most part I gravitate to soundtracks from cyberpunk and steampunk settings, but they do tend to get old like 90s Euro techno got old.

I'm coming late, but I can recommend the old castlevania soundtracks. You can also search for The OneUps, a band that plays old console soundtracks (sonic, Mario Kart, toe jam, castlevania)

The Ys soundtracks are awesome too. There are some piano versions that are beautiful.

To the Moon and Deus Ex Human revolution OSTs. I listen both until today. Oh, and the one from VVVVVV too.

Final Fantasy VII: Interrupted by Firework
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pi9xgOXvTs

The Wolf Among us

Monaco

Dear Esther

The Last of Us

The Skyrim Soundtrack

Potatoman Seeks the Truth (So good)

Bastion

Assassin's Creed Black Flag

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

World of Goo

Beyond Good and Evil

Silent Hill series

Alice: Madness Returns

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Zelda: Wind Waker

Every Zelda game, really.

Persona 3 and 4 soundtracks for console soundtracks are great. (final fantasy games also had cool soundtracks)

I feel very odd reading all of the talk about favorite videogame soundtracks. I appreciate the music for what it adds to the game, but never once have I wanted to actually bust out a track and listen to it while I'm doing something different. I know it's very popular -- it just does nothing for me whatsoever.

-- The LoS 2 discount is still active: $5.17 USD (80% off), DLCs are 0.37 USD,
Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten all about the DLC so I was able to grab it while it was still on sale.

How could I forget the Ys games... I'm such a fake music nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqIgW3rVzVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbylZk4ptOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSgVppJMKNo

I actually listen to a selection of video game tracks sometimes when driving.  Keeps me from messing with the radio and the lack of lyrics makes it less distracting to me too.  Just depends on my mood.  

Several tracks from Super Castlevania 4 and Symphony of the Night are always on there.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFtpZS_t0sQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot3M8D984PU

Just a few hot bangers.  Pretty much anything from Project Diva F.  There are a few other games escaping me that just have good ass music. 

http://youtu.be/YBRqLm-seys

http://youtu.be/-5R2UKy5b-g

Jesus, I'm glad I played Elite tonight... this thread looks like you guys were busy... on a Friday night... instead of.. I dunno.. drinking or something...

Dragon Age Inquisition Digital Deluxe was purchased the other night under $30... so if you guys can't read enough to go back and see that (shrug).  I'd recommend keeping up with the thread.

Civilization Beyond Earth shouldn't be bought yet.  There's too many issues with it.  Every time I played I encounted another "known" bug.  And lest we get through the bugs the AI goes from retarded easy to ZOMG full nuclear war.  It's quite ridiculous.  (and based on some of the "random" planets.. the xeno's'll get you before you ever see another colony)

I don't have a favorite game soundtrack.  Even when I was a kid, I tended to play them on mute.  Though I still dream sometimes I'm dog fighting to the NES Top Gun soundtrack.  Spent sooooo long on that game as a kid it's ridiculous. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=penl35d5POM

I'm sure that I've forgotten a few of my favorites in this list.

Song Singles:

Portal - "Still Alive"
Mirror's Edge - "Still Alive" - The Theme Song from Mirror's Edge
Metal Gear Solid 4 Theme Song-Old Snake
Payday 2 Soundtrack - Pat Briscoe - Drifting (Dentist Trailer Song)
Brothers -a Tale of Two Sons- Bird Flight
Mass Effect - Main Theme
Theme to Civilization IV - Christopher Tin - Baba Yetu
Medal of Honor / Linkin Park - "The Catalyst"
To the moon - 23 Everything's Alright (Laura Shigihara)

Entire Albums:
Quake 2
Diablo 1
Torchlight 1+2
Deus Ex 1
Deus Ex HR
World of Warcraft - All Albums
Dragon Age Origins (esp  Leliana's Song)
Payday games
Sanctum 1
FTL

Is it funny every time I see that King's Bounty: Dark Side game image with the snow white girl....I think man she looks pretty hot...and then I almost buy it....happens every time. Will likely just get Ghostbusters for the decent price it's at.

I just saw greenday post in the psn code thread. Looks like another one bites the dust :D/
Eh, got a PS3 for Christmas last year. Don't want to lose access to all those "free" PSN games.

I don't really play games though. I just buy them, as does everyone.

EDIT: And as far as my Yu-gi-oh image goes, I haven't played in a couple years and my true love lies in the abridged series, cause it's so spot on.

Is it funny every time I see that King's Bounty: Dark Side game image with the snow white girl....I think man she looks pretty hot...and then I almost buy it....happens every time. Will likely just get Ghostbusters for the decent price it's at.
Pretty sure that's exactly what they're going for w/the pic.

Also got Ghostbusters.

Eh, got a PS3 for Christmas last year. Don't want to lose access to all those "free" PSN games.
I counted up all the games I downloaded from PS+ since I activated my subscription (I paid 35 bucks as I bought mine 2013 black friday, activated in March), I don't remember how many it was but it's a lot. I'd say I got my money's worth, and it's a good way to pick up sony exclusives, as well. Problem is that I've probably only played 2 or 3 of the games so I don't know if it's worth the ps+ subscription if I never play the games anyway.

Personally, FFVI is my favorite soundtrack. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RPY-oiDAQ

Square games (Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, FF games) in general have excellent soundtracks for listening to in the background.  Lately, I also like Last of Us, To The Moon, and Lost Odyssey.

However, I'd also like to give a shoutout to OCRemix (http://ocremix.org/albums/).  If you haven't checked out any of their albums, I recommend doing so.  95% of the albums are free, and most are pretty great and put new spins on old classics.  The FFVI: Balance and Ruin album (http://ocremix.org/album/46/final-fantasy-vi-balance-and-ruin) is absolutely fantastic, which is high praise considering how much I value the original soundtrack.

Problem is that I've probably only played 2 or 3 of the games so I don't know if it's worth the ps+ subscription if I never play the games anyway.
It's not, and most people in the PSN threads don't realize that. It's only worth keeping a PS+ subscription if you:

1. Play most of the free games or

2. Buy a lot of shit with PS+ discounts.

Otherwise, it's a waste of money. Oh and unrelated but.. it wouldn't surprise me if Ghostbusters gets bundled, along with Test Drive Unlimited 2. Atari has slowly started to bundle games.

Wanted to ask a quick opinion, should I grab Sins of a Solar Empire or give Planetary Annihilation a chance?
Never played PA, but I've put in quite a few hours into Sins of a Solar Empire with my buddies and absolutely love that game. I definitely recommend picking it up if you enjoy playing RTS games, especially if you can find three other people willing to split a 4-pack at $29.99 (Brings it down to about ~$7.50 per person, with the host scoring 1 cent! Haha)

Just be warned, the larger matches can take up quite a bit of time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqHnhIaa90E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t2SPlj83LE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBLQ8AOVlis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sX3fjpkFwk

Since nobody else seems to be interested, I'd love a copy of Driftmoon.

My usual review after playing will have to wait a few days instead of hours, but once I get back home, I'll make it the first thing I play.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

This game is not. I have to admit, i haven't seen a game in quite this style before. It looks like a twin stick Diablo clone, but it actually has autopilot combat instead of actual hacking and slashing. Pretty much everything plays itself out as soon as you click on the right item or dialogue option. But don't think it's a point and click, because it's incredibly hard to click on anything. Even when you do, it may arbitrarily decide not to work. In just a few minutes, I managed to backtrack one screen into the well I just left that was suddenly full of new unique loot, get blocked in place by my AI follower, click on a door twice to hear that it was locked and then have it open, and then find the wonderful text overlapping above on a preset plot item.

I did like that you have the option to be a horrible person, but I didn't feel like the choice was ever going to matter again once I left that screen, and i didn't care enough about the game's mystery plot to find out more.

A big thanks to djbooba, though, because otherwise I would have picked up a bundle for this game at some point and been very disappointed. Instead, I got half an hour of laughing at how incompetent it was and a wonderful screenshot to cherish forever. If it hadn't been a gift, I would have quit within five minutes and missed most of the highlights.

[quote name="MysterD" post="12362801" timestamp="1419682408"]ITAD's saying this is the cheapest for both Ghostbusters Games - GB The Video Game + Sanctum Of Slime (base-game):
http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:ghostbusters;/scroll:#gamelist

GB: The Video Game looks like a no-brainer, given reviews + opinions.

But, How's Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime?
Anyone here have that?
Doesn't seem as well-liked or reviewed as well as GB:TVG.[/quote]
GB the video game IS a no brainer. Even more if you're a fan of the films. It is really fantastic.

Sanctum of Slime. I tried the demo when it came out. All I can say is... The best part of the game is the menu. FINALLY someone used the original theme music! The game is horrible.

This game is not. I have to admit, i haven't seen a game in quite this style before. It looks like a twin stick Diablo clone, but it actually has autopilot combat instead of actual hacking and slashing. Pretty much everything plays itself out as soon as you click on the right item or dialogue option. But don't think it's a point and click, because it's incredibly hard to click on anything. Even when you do, it may arbitrarily decide not to work. In just a few minutes, I managed to backtrack one screen into the well I just left that was suddenly full of new unique loot, get blocked in place by my AI follower, click on a door twice to hear that it was locked and then have it open, and then find the wonderful text overlapping above on a preset plot item.

I did like that you have the option to be a horrible person, but I didn't feel like the choice was ever going to matter again once I left that screen, and i didn't care enough about the game's mystery plot to find out more.

A big thanks to djbooba, though, because otherwise I would have picked up a bundle for this game at some point and been very disappointed. Instead, I got half an hour of laughing at how incompetent it was and a wonderful screenshot to cherish forever. If it hadn't been a gift, I would have quit within five minutes and missed most of the highlights.
Okay this is what I get for trying to post on mobile. Quote somebody and can't post my reply. Anyway back on my real PC.

You damned kids! *shakes cane*

It's basically a love letter to Ultima 7, which in its day was considered one of the best and more expansive interactive RPGs but I supposed by modern combat obsessed standards would be looked at as closer to an adventure game, only not point and click on a static background so no one would really know what to do with it.

Mind you Driftmoon is not nearly as huge and as many people to talk to and places to go as Ultima 7 and I don't think they ever intended to match it, but the influence is there and I think anyone who loved Ultima 7 will appreciate it. Otherwise yeah 'these kids today' will probably go WTF is this?

It's a cute little game that's really best considered closer to an adventure game or even perhaps a bit more interactive version of a top down visual novel like To The Moon I suppose. Don't go in expecting riveting combat. There isn't any.

Ultima 7 itself was sort of a top down Skyrim with a party and autocombat. Actually, if you play Dragon Age Inquisition on casual, like I freely admit I do, the combat also for the most part takes care of itself unless you wander into an area with the enemies are too high level for you at the moment or into a dragon.

It's a style of RPG that I miss because I really don't care about combat, never have. At best its a means to an end to me and I mainly play RPGs for story, characters, exploration etc. All those words and talking and wandering and stuff that the masses could care less about since they just want to slash, smash or shoot something.

I also think that's what I found Divinity Original Sin tedious as hell in spite of looking like the second coming of Ultima 7, because it's got that (for me) long, dry, drawn out move a square here and there strategic combat that stodgy Europeans luuurve.

/high horse :p

It was 5:30am when I posted that, I was in bed half awake and my tablet wasn't cooperating with the old farty rant I was trying to make. Give me a break. Anyway it's edited now.

XFUnNKc.jpg

{Epic talk on Ultima 7 + Driftmoon}

Okay this is what I get for trying to post on mobile. Quote somebody and can't post my reply. Anyway back on my real PC.

You damned kids! *shakes cane*

It's basically a love letter to Ultima 7, which in its day was considered one of the best and more expansive interactive RPGs but I supposed by modern combat obsessed standards would be looked at as closer to an adventure game, only not point and click on a static background so no one would really know what to do with it.

Mind you Driftmoon is not nearly as huge and as many people to talk to and places to go as Ultima 7 and I don't think they ever intended to match it, but the influence is there and I think anyone who loved Ultima 7 will appreciate it. Otherwise yeah 'these kids today' will probably go WTF is this?

It's a cute little game that's really best considered closer to an adventure game or even perhaps a bit more interactive version of a top down visual novel like To The Moon I suppose. Don't go in expecting riveting combat. There isn't any.

Ultima 7 itself was sort of a top down Skyrim with a party and autocombat. Actually, if you play Dragon Age Inquisition on casual, like I freely admit I do, the combat also for the most part takes care of itself unless you wander into an area with the enemies are too high level for you at the moment or into a dragon.

It's a style of RPG that I miss because I really don't care about combat, never have. At best its a means to an end to me and I mainly play RPGs for story, characters, exploration etc. All those words and talking and wandering and stuff that the masses could care less about since they just want to slash, smash or shoot something.

I also think that's what I found Divinity Original Sin tedious as hell in spite of looking like the second coming of Ultima 7, because it's got that (for me) long, dry, drawn out move a square here and there strategic combat that stodgy Europeans luuurve.

/high horse :p
I have Ultima 7 (from GOG) + Driftmoon (on Steam) sitting in my backlog.

Damn, man - sounds like I need to get to those, when I get the chance.

Thanks for the long-winded post/rant on those 2 games.

I have Ultima 7 (from GOG) + Driftmoon (on Steam) sitting in my backlog.

Damn, man - sounds like I need to get to those, when I get the chance.

Thanks for the long-winded post/rant on those 2 games.
I'm honestly not sure how someone just playing Ultima 7 for the first time now will receive it and if they'll even find it tolerable. I think it might be one of those old games you need nostalgia tinted glasses for. If you do end up trying it out, get Exult. It makes playing it on modern systems a bit more tolerable but still, don't expect it to look and play state of the art.

The Exult team probably could have done more with it, but everyone involved with the game claims the source code has long since been lost. Oh and the entire UItima 8 expansion which was reportedly even finished but just never released has apparently been lost too. I guess no one believed in backups in those days. Either that, or they're lying because they don't want to get into a bunch of drama with EA.

Oh, and to add to the this sale sucks, let's talk about VG music discussion... Most of what I tend to listen to are covers of in-game music.

[customspoiler=This sale is boring, so listen to these:]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re32xnyYP3A&l
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e4Crth_Hb8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5scparvQWE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuJnvC8voJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFCKhUgIziU
[/customspoiler]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back