Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got em all except for the first three days and I don't even know why I bother. It's been a mix of coupons, free 10pt uPlay rewards, and avatars/animated covers (wtf?) so they've all been pretty craptastic so far. Checking it each day is even more of a dissapointment than checking the deals each day of the Steam winter sale.
What the fuck, today's unlock is cosmetics for AssCreed Rogue. Has a PC release date even been hinted at yet?

So far, I managed to get every day, disappointment seems like a kind word for it. Of the unlocks that are somewhat useful, I already owned most of them, and the FC3 one had already been free before, shortly after the game came out.

Wonder if they actually think forcing two Just Dance unlocks on us is actually going to increase its sales. I'm a fairly ridiculous game collector, but I cannot ever see myself owning that.

I got em all except for the first three days and I don't even know why I bother. It's been a mix of coupons, free 10pt uPlay rewards, and avatars/animated covers (wtf?) so they've all been pretty craptastic so far. Checking it each day is even more of a dissapointment than checking the deals each day of the Steam winter sale.
The thing that has amazed me is just how lousy they are... I haven't been able to muster the effort most days. I'm not expecting anything great, but they've even had 0-Uplay point DLC (The Crew - Rust Bucket) in the giveaway... it's already free.

The thing that has amazed me is just how lousy they are... I haven't been able to muster the effort most days. I'm not expecting anything great, but they've even had 0-Uplay point DLC (The Crew - Rust Bucket) in the giveaway... it's already free.
Double free isn't good enough for you??

FREE GAME

Flight of the Amazon Queen -- FREE TODAY ONLY*

Celebrate Free, and DRM-FREEdom** on GOG.com

932d8f5bae0932d6a7742c23452988fa1f1c478e.jpg

*might be free tomorrow and the day after, but I haven't tested it then

** Freedom good while supplies last, offer limited to certain territories

I still remember that awesome Uplay 30% off coupon... that didn't stack with any sale prices :bs:

FREE GAME

932d8f5bae0932d6a7742c23452988fa1f1c478e.jpg

I guess nobody noticed it mentioned as the freebies listed in the OP for the GOG thread?

Then again, I'm probably one of the 3 people on GOG that might actually post in that thread. ;)

What?!? You like never post in the GOG thread, despite your Jihad on DRM.
I nominate MysterD to be the resident GOG Khalif since the old one is lost in the land of coconuts.

I don't even have any interest in it but that thread is just sad.

Backup choices would be Madjoki or Tomasety because they're European and it's like in the EU Charter that Europeans have to love GOG.

I nominate MysterD to be the resident GOG Khalif since the old one is lost in the land of coconuts.

I don't even have any interest in it but that thread is just sad.

Backup choices would be Madjoki or Tomasety because they're European and it's like in the EU Charter that Europeans have to love GOG.
Seconded.

I've been playing Fallen Enchantress: LE. It is an AWESOME game so far, I'm loving it. It is a blend of Civilization and Heroes of M&M... with a DEEP Master of Magic influence. It can be a very deep and customizable game if you want to. I'm still scratching the surface, so I can't make a good review yet, but can recommend it to any fan of the genre, it is really unique (at least if you, like me, never played any of the Fallen Enchantress games). I'm sure I'll end up buying some DLCs next time it goes on sale.

The only downside may be the (still) high MSRP.

BTW, you must create a StarDock account, but it is a simple step, just a popup... user, password, mail and you're done.

Translation:
Steam sales sucked, so everybody finally starting working on their backlog...
I have a theory: With the advent of the Steambox, Valve hopes to bring superior gaming to the unwashed masses. However, during testing, in which dozens upon dozens of console peasants were brought in and introduced to the steam store, Lord Gaben soon found a direct correlation between the peasants' realizations of how much money they had been wasting on their disks and a 90% fatality rate by way of self groin punching.

In order to deter said groin punching, Maester Gabens quickly devised a plan; a plan that would, in time, allow the peasants access to the wonders of his universe without making them feel like the foolish monkeys they had been. Slowly, but surely, he would raise prices, as to lessen the initial blow, allowing more and more into the fold as time goes on. After several winters pass, and much of the gaming race has merged with his glorious light, prices will again fall. They will fall, back to the days of 75, 85, even 95 percent off. And the monkeys will rejoice in their fortune.

The Almight Gaben understands that this will initially upset his long faithful flock, but he knows they will understand, in time.
Gaben is love. Gaben is life. Trust in him, with the same vehemence as you would distrust that "this really Is the last version of Street Fighter IV".

I've been playing Fallen Enchantress: LE. It is an AWESOME game so far, I'm loving it. It is a blend of Civilization and Heroes of M&M... with a DEEP Master of Magic influence. It can be a very deep and customizable game if you want to. I'm still scratching the surface, so I can't make a good review yet, but can recommend it to any fan of the genre, it is really unique (at least if you, like me, never played any of the Fallen Enchantress games). I'm sure I'll end up buying some DLCs next time it goes on sale.

The only downside may be the (still) high MSRP.

BTW, you must create a StarDock account, but it is a simple step, just a popup... user, password, mail and you're done.
Of the recent Fantasy 4x games released I'm gravitating more towards Endless Legend (when it hits a better sale price). Have you played that at all and/or Age of Wonders 3?

So Topware is (supposedly, it's already been pushed back a bunch of times) releasing Raven's Cry at the end of the month and they want opinions on DRM. As in in addition to Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/281130/discussions/0/627456486709592707/

Raidor [dph] [developer] Dec 31, 2014 @ 7:50am

DRM or no DRM let us discuss about it!

DRM means "digital rights management" and it looks like some people misunderstand what it is. Games from TopWare Interactive have use a unique serial key, have an activation and an OPTIONAL registration.

Cons:

- serial key needs to be entered

- game needs to be activated

- only 5 activations, if you want more, you need to send an eMail request to [email protected]

Pros:

- life time warranty for the game once purchased - means:

* free support by eMail

* once purchased, you get free updates for ever (e.g. Knights & Merchants, released 1998, last update 2014)

* if you lose something - game, Steam account, whatever - you get replacement

* if registered, you can even lose your serial key and get a new one

* you can switch gaming platforms (Desura, Steam, GOG) - or even convert to Steam from closed platforms like NetGames, GamesLoad, Games 4 Windows

- the serial key (or registration) identifies the ownership - this is DRM - we manage your right to use the game you purchased.

- we never switched of a game server or any other server in the last 20 years, and we will not do it in the future.

Now, we think about making the DRM optional. But one thing is clear: if someone decides NOT to want a serial key - he will lose all privileges connected with the DRM.

Give us your opinion please!
Activiation limits? For a game on Steam in 2015?

Oh Europe, you are so quaint. :roll:

Also a lot of that junk about getting updates and being able to access your game and post announcements and what not, what the hell do they think Steam is for?

So Topware is (supposedly, it's already been pushed back a bunch of times) releasing Raven's Cry at the end of the month and they want opinions on DRM. As in in addition to Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/281130/discussions/0/627456486709592707/

Activiation limits? For a game on Steam in 2015?

Oh Europe, you are so quaint. :roll:

Also a lot of that junk about getting updates and being able to access your game and post announcements and what not, what the hell do they think Steam is for?
I'm actually glad a dev / publisher is being so damn straight-forward about DRM.

See this post:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/281130/discussions/0/627456486709592707/#c627456486871860153

He talks about a lot of situations I'm sure some of us have thought of: "What if Steam changes any of their policies?" "What If Valve gets bought by EA?" "What if Valve goes out of business"? "Steam doesn't offer refunds in many instances - but, what if we at TopWare wanted to offer refunds on certain situations?" And other horrible situations.

All fair thoughts, sure. But, who the hell here really thinks Steam and Valve are going away anytime soon? Sure, it could happen - God knows; anything can happen. But, I certainly don't think it'll happen anytime soon.

If TopWare really want to make things much more controllable for themselves to be able to track who owns what, how to facilitate updates for their customers for as long as they are in business, and offer support for refunds if need be - why don't they create their own game-client w/ account-based DRM (like Steam) and flat-out remove any sort of silly Draconian limits (i.e. 5 activations limit)? That should work just fine for them, if they want to be in so much control.

EDIT:

If TopWare wants to make Raven's Cry force + require extra DRM for Steam-version, they're foolish. Nobody needs that crap. Steam's fine as DRM, all by itself.

But, If they wanted to make an optional registration onto their website for their own games (which you don't have to do and can skip entirely), so they could give us keys for other-versions for some reason (if say Steam goes out business and we own a game there, they then give us keys for the Origin version on our TopWare account) - hey, I'd be all for that. :D

It does gets annoying when I have to re-buy games - b/c say one version isn't supported anymore; or any other crappy situation of that sort.

They're just being foolish and following antiquated thinking while not grasping what the benefits of Steam are. You want to make sure everyone gets updates? Check. You want to communicate with your customer base? He's already doing that on Steam. The concern about losing access is a bit silly too. If you lose your password you reset it or or contact Steam support. As far as them going away, I think they are not grasping the longevity of Steam. Meanwhile he spouts of other services that people supposedly might want to have the game on some of which I've never heard of and some, like G4WL that are basically defunct.

I mean I'm glad that they are at least asking but I kind of suspect it's too late for them to change the DRM status for this release as it's a few weeks away. Maybe they will though or maybe they'll delay it again.

His cons are pretty laughable though. As is thinking multiple layers of DRM or that specifically their DRM will somehow better prevent piracy.

The idea which he's not getting is you want to make it more convenient for people to buy your game, not less. The whole thing with limited activations and then writing them when you run out is nuts. You should never put your customers through that. I also think they have this old mindset from the 90s/early 00s and have their heads in the sand not really looking at what the competition is doing (ignoring the 800 pound gorillas because they have their own clients).

Honestly I'd just crack the damned thing if I ran out of activations rather than email someone and ask and wait back and all that BS.

I was actually thinking of Fakeybro'ing this game if the early word of mouth was decent but if they pull that archaic draconian DRM shit I definitely won't.

Okay I apologize for turning this place into a MysterDRM forum. I'll shut up now. :p

@Motoki

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet by TopWare yet - but any idea if Raven's Cry PC will flat-out require Steam everywhere?

@Motoki

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet by TopWare yet - but any idea if Raven's Cry PC will flat-out require Steam everywhere?
I think so but information is kind of sketchy. Hardly anyone has it up for pre-order. There's a listing on Amazon Germany for a digital download that indicates it will requires Steam.

Also someone asked about activation on the boxed retail listing there and someone else answered that it too requires Steam, but he doesn't appear to be affiliated with Topware and I don't know what his source is.

I think so but information is kind of sketchy. Hardly anyone has it up for pre-order. There's a listing on Amazon Germany for a digital download that indicates it will requires Steam.

Also someone asked about activation on the boxed retail listing there and someone else answered that it too requires Steam, but he doesn't appear to be affiliated with Topware and I don't know what his source is.
If Raven's Cry is gonna require Steam everywhere - why the hell are they asking about additional DRM?

The answer is automatically this: "No. Steam alone is fine."

If they want to do some extra optional key-registration to their own TopWare servers w/ your own TopWare account so that they know we own some version of Raven's Cry (or any other game they publish, for that matter) b/c they're so worried Steam might go away and that they might have to move the game to another service; and/or they want to offer up keys for other versions to game-owners - then that's what they should do. I don't think anyone would object to something optional like that.

But, realistically - I would guess Valve and Steam will be around longer than TopWare, the way things are going...

Of the recent Fantasy 4x games released I'm gravitating more towards Endless Legend (when it hits a better sale price). Have you played that at all and/or Age of Wonders 3?
Still haven't played AoW3 or Endless Legend, and of course both are on my wishlist. I'll wait for that Endless pack to reach a good price, all the games there are very good.

I couldn't figure out how to connect to anyone in DiveKick so I just gave up and looked for a Hidden Object game to play.

Speaking of which, I learned today they have them for consoles too. Who knew?

Want me to post the free GOG games... one a day and make it sound like a big deal, lather, rinse, repeat?
FREE GAME

I don't think everyone's in on the joke...

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/551512468766617600

twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/551512468766617600

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back