DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
header.jpg

Deus Ex Collection on Steam

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']Gotta disagree. They mostly look better to me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to recant my previous statement, overall his textures are much better. I didn't realize how muddy the graphics in IW are (not the game's fault, just good for the time). I think the major turn off for me was his alteration of the main character's face ... the male main character at least ... looks a bit too different for my taste, but it's a small price to pay for the added clarity and better features on the other models.

[quote name='ohboy10451']purchased. How does DX 1 perform on Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this bit of information as well. Can't seem to find my disc, and this deal is amazing. Might just bite on the bundle if the high-res textures can be added into the Steam versions.

Nice, thank you OP! This more than makes up for the Buy.com fiasco, thank you Steam for turning my frown upside down! :)

If you've played these games before, you know how great they are and should buy if you don't have the games anymore. If you've never played these games...do yourself a favor and buy immediately.

I still have my Deus Ex GOTY (disc only), but lost IW. I'm re-buying both just to have them secured in my Steam collection.

P.S. In case you're wondering...Buy.com and it's CS employees are fucking liars. Never waste your time or money on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never played the first as the heavy weapon dude. Gonna have to give it a run. I liked IW a bunch too. Like others said the 1st is clearly superior but compared to every other game on the planet, I thought IW was great.

[quote name='ohboy10451']purchased. How does DX 1 perform on Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit?[/QUOTE]

I am getting inconsistent frame rates
sometimes it runs slow...sometimes it runs fast at start up

Can't believe I bought Invisible War when it was $5 and still haven't touched it yet, and now it's even cheaper. I could have saved $2.50!

I also think the first DX was the best game I have ever played. I got part 2 durring the xmas sale but it looks like now I'll pick up part 1 and replace my disk copy.

[quote name='Muitabui']I am getting inconsistent frame rates
sometimes it runs slow...sometimes it runs fast at start up[/QUOTE]

Is there anything to fix it? I know somebody else posted a dxguide but I am rather pc stupid for tech stuff and without a demo I can't tell. I'd be all over this but only if I could get it working right.

I grabbed Deus Ex alone for $2.50; I recall downloading the demo for Invisible War years and years ago, and disliking it. However, I'm very anxious to give the original a try, especially after all the praise.

[quote name='etcrane']...I think the major turn off for me was his alteration of the main character's face ... the male main character at least ... looks a bit too different for my taste, but it's a small price to pay for the added clarity and better features on the other models.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, there are six male and three female faces to choose from.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Is there anything to fix it? I know somebody else posted a dxguide but I am rather pc stupid for tech stuff and without a demo I can't tell. I'd be all over this but only if I could get it working right.[/QUOTE]

Post specs. If your computer is just plain old bad there's nothing anyone can do to help.

So is Invisible War a good game in its own right? I've already played and beaten the original, which I think is one of the best games of all time, so I don't expect the sequel to be as good. That said, for someone like me, who's played the System Shocks, the Deus Exs, and the NOLFs of the video game world, and loved them all, is Invisible War a good investment?

BoysDon'tCry;7103926]So is Invisible War a good game in its own right? I've already played and beaten the original said:
It's not a bad game by any means, it just pales in comparison to the original. A good analogy would be ... Fallout compared to Fallout Tactics. It's not an abomination like Fallout Brotherhood of Steel was ... but IW doesn't really live up to the original. Most of the problems can be attributed to the fact it saw a simultaneous PC / Xbox release and was subsequently dumbed down for consoles. It lacks the really dynamic interaction and choices that made the original game something that is still unique to this day. For whatever reason, I feel like the characters and storyline in the original Deus Ex were far more compelling than the sequel as well. Bottom line, the sequel isn't bad but it's more of a shooter and less of an RPG and as I vaguely recall ... the ending kinda sucks ... whereas the multiple endings from Deus Ex were awesome.

Well one thing, that PC has onboard video, however that chipset should handle this game easily. Not sure what's up on your end. You picked the D3D renderer and not software right?

Bought the bundle during the Eidos week for $10 like 3 weeks ago and have just barely touched the first one.... that burns me.

I'll point out though that none of the mods I tried with it (mostly higher res textures and models) work with the steam version. After much poking around I found out that you need the original retail deusex.exe for any of it to work. The steam deusex.exe to launch the game is significantly smaller. So unless you have a disc version lying around you'll have to find other means to procure it.

is this a midweek sale? how long does it last?? may definitely have to grab Deus Ex since I'll likely never play my PS2 copy..got part 2 on the reg. Xbox..not sure if my e-machine can handle part 2 though, 1 looks like no problem!

[quote name='TestType']I'll point out though that none of the mods I tried with it (mostly higher res textures and models) work with the steam version. After much poking around I found out that you need the original retail deusex.exe for any of it to work. The steam deusex.exe to launch the game is significantly smaller. So unless you have a disc version lying around you'll have to find other means to procure it.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely NOT been my experience. I found several threads on the steam community forums for texture mods and all of them have worked just fine for me. I've yet to find anything that had an issue, knock on wood.

I agree with the general consensus here:
Deus Ex ranks in the top 3 PC games of all time. The sequel seems awful by comparison, but if you don't play them back to back or expect the same level of awesome, you'll still enjoy Invisible War. It's really not half bad stand-alone.

Mini-crossbow FTW.

[quote name='token2k6']is this a midweek sale? how long does it last?? may definitely have to grab Deus Ex since I'll likely never play my PS2 copy..got part 2 on the reg. Xbox..not sure if my e-machine can handle part 2 though, 1 looks like no problem![/QUOTE]

They usually end Thursday at 7 pm EST. Sometimes later.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Well one thing, that PC has onboard video, however that chipset should handle this game easily. Not sure what's up on your end. You picked the D3D renderer and not software right?[/QUOTE]

I didn't buy the game yet. I read about somebody having frame-rate problems that had windows 7 64bit, which is what I have so I was wondering if there's a way to fix it. I realize the game is only $2.50 but if I can't play it properly, it's a waste.

[quote name='Bruticis']That's definitely NOT been my experience. I found several threads on the steam community forums for texture mods and all of them have worked just fine for me. I've yet to find anything that had an issue, knock on wood.[/QUOTE]

Really? Then you must be pretty special since I could get nothing working until I replaced the deusex.exe file, then everything clicked.

Read this for more info:
Deus Ex, Steam, and You: THEY KINDA WORK TOGETHER

I didn't have to replace any .exe's either. The only thing I had to do was set the compatibility mode because I'm on Win7 64-bit. That post you link to is almost 2 years old though. Not doubting that you had to use those methods, just odd.

Well I'm glad to hear that. I did notice the age of the thread although it has posts in it that were made this year. Are you guys using the HDTP (high definition texture pack) mod for example? That thing hasn't been updated in about two years though.

Bought both ... this is even better than Deus Ex at $4.99 by itself during the Steam holiday sale.

Right after the holiday sale, PC Gamer released their Top 100 of all time, and Deus Ex was #1. When I read that, I regretted that I didn't get it during the sale ... this makes up for it.

Deus Ex and Deus Ex: IW are two of my favorite games of all time. I have them both physically, but I'm extremely tempted to re-purchase them digitally.

BoysDon'tCry;7103926 said:
is Invisible War a good investment?

The game is TWO DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS. If the cost is somehow an issue to anyone reading this thread, BUY THE GAMES.

IW is a good, good game.
It is just not as good as the original.
IW is better than most other games, period.

[quote name='supershammy']The game is TWO DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS. If the cost is somehow an issue to anyone reading this thread, BUY THE GAMES.

IW is a good, good game.
IW is better than most other games, period.
It is just not as good as the original.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth!

[quote name='TestType']Really? Then you must be pretty special since I could get nothing working until I replaced the deusex.exe file, then everything clicked.

Read this for more info:
Deus Ex, Steam, and You: THEY KINDA WORK TOGETHER[/QUOTE]

I am pretty special, at least my mom thinks so. Was that your attempt at being a smart ass? I'm using the Deus Ex fixer for D3DX10, also using the HDTP mod (had to adjust the steam deus ex ini myself though), and also using the Ultra High Quality Mod. Those are the only mods I've tried and the only mods I have a desire to use (don't want to use to use Shifter so no clue if that works). Which mod have you had trouble getting to work?

I bought them even though my computer sucks ass. I read on Steam that you can play the game on any computer. Once I upgrade... someday..

I gave in and purchased it. Probably won't get around to play it anytime soon, but I heard great things about this franchise. Thanks op.

[quote name='saosin42']I bought them even though my computer sucks ass. I read on Steam that you can play the game on any computer. Once I upgrade... someday..[/QUOTE]

Your computer is more than ten years old? Damn, you don't need an upgrade, you need a completely new system. I don't think you can even buy components anymore for the architectures that your motherboard probably uses.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']was this a one day only sale? I forgot to sign up for an account yesterday, and just checked. Its back to $20.[/QUOTE]

Their midweek madness sales usually start Tuesday afternoon and go until Thursday afternoon (pacific time).

Picked it up and now comes the task of modding the thing. It's always so daunting trying to mod a game when you know NOTHING of the mod scene for it. So to somebody who DOES know about the mod scene, which would you say are the essentials? So far I've got:

-HDTP
-OpenGL/Direct3d9 Renderer (Does it matter which one I choose?)
-The Nameless Mod

Shifter, for sure. Also, look up New Vision. More textures, works alongside HDTP. MIGHT only work with the OpenGL renderer.

[quote name='Vegan']Shifter, for sure. Also, look up New Vision. More textures, works alongside HDTP. MIGHT only work with the OpenGL renderer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Both of those look awesome.

With kentie's Deus Ex fixer tool (Found here), this shouldn't be too hard.

Now I wonder if I have to find the retail deusex.exe they were talking about earlier...

Grabbed DE: IW. For those who are interested, you can grab a high texture pack. As well as run the game in widescreen and adjust the fov by going to widescreengamingforum.com

bread's done
Back