Steam - Elder Scrolls Has Arrived with Launch Deals

It's surprising that Call of the Cthulu isn't included. That might be what was holding up these games from being released a few days ago when they were first announced over the Steam RSS feed.

Update: Never mind, CotC is released. It didn't have Bethseda as the developer, just the publisher.

Do both of these run on Vista? And if so, for those who have played the 360 version of Oblivion, is it worth the upgrade to PC?

[quote name='etcrane']Do both of these run on Vista? And if so, for those who have played the 360 version of Oblivion, is it worth the upgrade to PC?[/QUOTE]

Oblivion runs without issue on Vista. I heard Morrowind had an installer issue with Vista, but you shouldn't have any issues with it since Steams installs it.

The PC version is also a lot better than the console versions. You should be able to load the mods without issue except for the ones that require the enhanced scripting extension. I'm not sure if that will work with the Steam version since the executable might be different to make it work with Steam's DRM.

Very good deals. If I had a better PC a few years ago I would have played the PC version of Oblivion over the 360, tho the 360 ran very good considering It's hardware at the time.

This is a very good deal. If I had a better computer than my current laptop, I would definitely buy this.

[quote name='etcrane']Do both of these run on Vista? And if so, for those who have played the 360 version of Oblivion, is it worth the upgrade to PC?[/QUOTE]

The graphics and load times are certainly improved on PC. You also can more easily fix any random glitches you might encounter with the PC's console commands. Unfortunately, on the PC I did experience a few random glitches with my horse disappearing, NPCs getting stuck, but they weren't that hard to fix.

[quote name='jp0213']I would get these, but I highly doubt that the mods will be usable on the Steam versions.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't make that assumption. Mods work on other Steam games, such as Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Far reach but i hope maybe the retail copies could be Steamable...

I've got two I haven't played with and Steaming them would be nice.

Yes, it owns it handily.

When you buy it, go here http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/top.php to start your collection of awesome mods.

The game plays so much more differently and more deeply with the mods. They also fix a ton of bugs as well.

[quote name='drock']I wouldn't make that assumption. Mods work on other Steam games, such as Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.[/QUOTE]

Yep, they should work. I doubt it would mess around with the plugins on the fly to mess with the mods at all.

I've already got Oblivion, but I'd be interested in Morrowind if I see confirmation that all the mods will work.

And yeah, I'd love to be able to put my Oblivion game on Steam as well, hopefully they'll add that option at some point.

[quote name='z3razerviper']looks like the price went up to 28 already[/QUOTE]

No, there is 2 different packages. One says Oblivion Deluxe GOTY is included while the other just says Oblivion GOTY is included.

The difference between the Oblivion Deluxe and regular is $3.20 ($3.00 difference between the two packs).
Considering that both have the Knights of the Nine pack, isn't the only extra content in the Deluxe version the Fighter's Stronghold?

• Fighter's Stronghold Expansion
  • Knights of the Nine Quest
  • Spell Tome Treasures
  • Vile Lair
  • Mehrune's Razor
  • The Thieves Den
  • Wizard's Tower
  • Orrery
  • Horse Armor Pack
Those are the DLC that the deluxe edition comes with, though I find the Knights of the Nine thing odd because both say they have it. I'm interested in knowing if the DLC is worth the extra few dollars, otherwise can just stick with mods for fun.

morrowind is awesome and totally worth it if you are strapped for hardware (please take time to get past initial jitters, you'll begin to understand everything and you'll get used to the dice-roll battle system)

and oblivion rightfully has that high of a score on metacritic, can't recommend it highly enough for those that can run it and like rpgs in the least

[quote name='Ryukahn']
And yeah, I'd love to be able to put my Oblivion game on Steam as well, hopefully they'll add that option at some point.[/QUOTE]

They've only ever done this for a few non-Valve games, so don't hold your breath.

Ugh. I'm unreasonably tempted to pick up the complete pack with all Oblivion DLC for $28, even though I already own all of it. $28 is a pretty good price for everything, and I enjoy the games and Steam.

Shit shit shit. I probably shouldn't and should instead wait for possible weekend deals in the future for Steamifiying them.

[quote name='ddrpower']
  • fighter's stronghold expansion
  • knights of the nine quest (included in kotn)
  • spell tome treasures (included in kotn)
  • vile lair (included in kotn)
  • mehrune's razor (included in kotn)
  • the thieves den (included in kotn)
  • wizard's tower (included in kotn)
  • orrery (included in kotn)
  • horse armor pack (included in kotn)[/quote]
kotn=Knights of the Nine

The Stronghold is the "only plug-in that is not available as a retail product (the Knights of the Nine CD)"

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Official_Plug-ins

[quote name='cheapo72']
[/LIST]
kotn=Knights of the Nine

The Stronghold is the "only plug-in that is not available as a retail product (the Knights of the Nine CD)"

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Official_Plug-ins[/QUOTE]

Great info, thanks. The question now comes, what does Oblivion GOTY include? Is it just an incomplete teaser for the DLC? $3 for fighter's stronghold, I couldn't say how good that DLC is. I also find it odd, because the horse armor is renown on the console side for being expensive DLC, did they just start packing that in?

For anyone who bought the deluxe bundle, i just bought the deluxe bundle, but i don't see the mention of the deluxe version of Oblivion, just the GOTY. Yes I picked the right one too. Does it just automatically include The Stronghold? Just curious.

[quote name='jp0213']For anyone who bought the deluxe bundle, i just bought the deluxe bundle, but i don't see the mention of the deluxe version of Oblivion, just the GOTY. Yes I picked the right one too. Does it just automatically include The Stronghold? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Well, if the DLC works like DLC, you won't find a launcher for the DLC, but when you go in game, you should have something that indicates a quest that relates to the DLC. I believe you either just get the quest when you are in the overworld, or you get an item that lets you start the quest in your inventory.

[quote name='Ryukahn']No, there is 2 different packages. One says Oblivion Deluxe GOTY is included while the other just says Oblivion GOTY is included.[/QUOTE]

Both packages were the same price this morning ... which I thought was odd ... but now I'm gonna wait until they have a real sale on these ... which will inevitably occur sometime in the next 6 months when they drop them closer to 50% off ... I've learned that anything that's an older release on Steam has a good chance of getting an incredible sale price if you just have the patience to wait for it.

[quote name='etcrane']Both packages were the same price this morning ... which I thought was odd ... but now I'm gonna wait until they have a real sale on these ... which will inevitably occur sometime in the next 6 months when they drop them closer to 50% off ... I've learned that anything that's an older release on Steam has a good chance of getting an incredible sale price if you just have the patience to wait for it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for talking me down. I've been putting off getting these games forever, and the deal seems sweet enough. I'll wait for the sale, but thanks OP for the heads up.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I've already got Oblivion, but I'd be interested in Morrowind if I see confirmation that all the mods will work.

And yeah, I'd love to be able to put my Oblivion game on Steam as well, hopefully they'll add that option at some point.[/QUOTE]

The widescreen (Morrowind Graphics Extender) mod probably won't work. That was one of my favorites, you could give Morrowind Oblivion-style draw distance, reflections, etc, and of course real widescreen (not stretched) support.

I don't see why mods wouldn't work, as they're just placed in the folder, added to the launch files, and you're good to go. Anything that required a different .exe (script extender), you could probably just do with the Mod Manager and be done with.

[quote name='ForeStorm']Edit: It seems to me most non-Source games have the entire folder directory in the Steam folder, so it's pretty much like having the game installed normally; which works fine if you intend to use mods. Which, IMHO, I couldn't play Oblivion without modding it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, non-Valve games are in Steam\SteamApps\Common\. The game folder will contain everything you would see in a normal retail release of the game so if you want to drop mods into a folder, update models or textures, etc you can.

The only issue with some mods is that the game's exe is different than the retail release because it contains Steam's DRM. So a mod that changes the executable wouldn't work.

[quote name='SScorpio']Yes, non-Valve games are in Steam\SteamApps\Common\. The game folder will contain everything you would see in a normal retail release of the game so if you want to drop mods into a folder, update models or textures, etc you can.

The only issue with some mods is that the game's exe is different than the retail release because it contains Steam's DRM. So a mod that changes the executable wouldn't work.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if the widescreen and updated texture mod for morrowind change the executable?

[quote name='carn311']Does anyone know if the widescreen and updated texture mod for morrowind change the executable?[/QUOTE]

The textures definitely don't change the executable, and it appears that the widescreen settings are just adjusted in the ini file so you should be able to use both with the Steam version.

OK, apparently when the GOTY edition says it includes "Knights of the Nine" it means only the KOTN plugin, not the retail KOTN (which included other DLC).

If you want the DLC, you must buy the Deluxe version. Sorry about the misleading info in my last post. :cry:

[quote name='SScorpio']The textures definitely don't change the executable, and it appears that the widescreen settings are just adjusted in the ini file so you should be able to use both with the Steam version.[/QUOTE]
Awesome. Thanks so much.

So is it just me or have these games prices been changing randomly lately? Now the deluxe combo is up to $35.99 and MRSP on Oblivion alone changed from $20 to $30. I already have the GotY Oblivion, without the other DLC but there must have been something wrong with the prices either before or currently. I wonder what's going on in Steam's pricing department.

[quote name='bb4lake']So is it just me or have these games prices been changing randomly lately? Now the deluxe combo is up to $35.99 and MRSP on Oblivion alone changed from $20 to $30. I already have the GotY Oblivion, without the other DLC but there must have been something wrong with the prices either before or currently. I wonder what's going on in Steam's pricing department.[/QUOTE]

You're right. WTF?
I was going to buy these tonight too.
Morrowind is also up from 11 to 15. I thought this sale was supposed to be for the entire week?

That's extremely unfortunate, I was about to buy them as well, seeing how fallout mods work and the oblivion mods should. To the quickest go the spoils I suppose.

As a note, GOTY runs $20 on retail. So I would wait for the last day and see what happens.

As another note, it now says "First week promotion" instead of "Ends 6/19". They actually changed the text, so something is definitely up.

As another note:

Deluxe + III = $43 individual, $44 package WITHOUT DISCOUNT. They obviously haven't done the math correctly, they must be having communications problems over the price. Hopefully it swings in our favor, but it'll need to work out before the week is over for the 20% promotion.

bread's done
Back