STEAM: Indie game sale (10-33% off)

So what are the chances this would be mostly a waste of $10? It looks....interesting but I can't tell much about it. Steam is really trying to do some research with this one. Offering a game on serious sale before people really know what its about.

"Players will play the role of Ghat; the son of a impressive hermaphrodite creature called Father-Mother, whose children form the most powerful clan in the city of Halstedom. Ghat must escape from his family and start an incredible journey with his female companion Deadra, who will aid him in the dangerous lands of Zenozoik."

I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Damn this is a tough decision. I'm all about immersive first-person games, not just shooters, like Breakdown and Call of Cthulhu and as odd and unique as this game looks i just can't make up my mind if I'll like it or not.

[quote name='coleipoo']"Players will play the role of Ghat; the son of a impressive hermaphrodite creature called Father-Mother.".[/quote]

:applause: SOLD!!

Never heard of the game, but after watching some videos of the game in action on Youtube, I'm definitely in for a preorder! The game looks great and different than anything else that has come out.

I've been watching this game since 08, it looks excellent. Be warned, it's single-player only with little to no replay value unless you want to play it again. It has a survival mode but other than that it's story only.

I'm all over this deal though.

Looks interesting. Watching the trailer the combat intensity reminds me of the Condemned games. The game looks like it will be worth $10 so I'll preorder.

Ah, I've had this game on my radar for a while now. I was probably going to spend the $20 at release, but the $10 pre-order made that a definite. I love Steam and their deals.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The art style looks absolutely terrible, but I love first person brawlers so I bit.[/quote]

Hmm...Half the reason I bought the game is because I thought the art style looked amazing...something new and refreshing from what we usually see. That's just me though, to each his own I guess.

Yeah, I don't like first person brawlers, but the art direction is awesome!

I'll probably buy it just to see what crazy creatures and levels they've created.

Looks like their blog post says if you don't get the 1 day sale then it will be 25% off until the release day. Anyways I pre purchased it :)

Zeno Clash will be available for 50% off its regular price for the first 24 hours of the pre-purchase period, starting Thursday, March 19 (8 pm GMT) up to Friday March 20. After that the game will continue to be available for 25% off its regular price up to the launch on April 21.

I could see a whole lot of people prepurchasing it for ten dollars, then they delay it to make a whole new game from the ground up with our money. Zenoclash, coming 2011! I bought it. I looked at it a year ago thinking "I'd buy that!"

the art style is WAY different than anything i've ever seen (it's a little similar to rise of nations: rise of legends with the whole steampunk thing). And the combat looks like a lot of fun. For $10 i'll probably bite. And the weekend deal is coming up tomorrow! Steam just won't let up!

[quote name='eastx']The art style is kind of garish, but that's its charm. Vaguely reminds me of the CG movie Kaena.[/QUOTE]

That's a great movie, there's a PS2 game of it too but it's import only. I got it from play-asia awhile back. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-43-77-2-49-en-15-kaena-70-3ov.html It's not that bad, I still haven't finished it though probably due to it's tank-style controls ... or was it my complete lack of understanding the Japanese language? :lol:

I'm still unsure about this, I know it's only $10 but it is only a $20 game. I guess I'm too used to getting $50-$60 games for $5-$10. Thanks to CAG! :D

I have been waiting for this game since August 2007. I was fully prepared to pay whatever they wanted for it. When they announced it was only $20, I was pleased. For just $10, I almost feel like I'm stealing from them.

Can't wait to play it.

I am somewhat dismayed now that I realize it wasn't releasing in 24 hours but instead releasing a MONTH from now. It feels like I was just dug into for additional capital. Caveat emptor and all that, but I doubt I'll be buying in on any further of Steam's experiments. Monster Truck Nitro was a disappointment and this is now a bit of an irritant.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I am somewhat dismayed now that I realize it wasn't releasing in 24 hours but instead releasing a MONTH from now. It feels like I was just dug into for additional capital. Caveat emptor and all that, but I doubt I'll be buying in on any further of Steam's experiments. Monster Truck Nitro was a disappointment and this is now a bit of an irritant.[/QUOTE]

... I wouldn't think this is any different than a pre-order through amazon that may have it for $5 less.

And so what if they need more money, what would be the alternative, the game NEVER comes out? I would think that would be more dire than the situation right now.

And the situation is that you didn't read properly, and understood what you got yourself into.

Neither the maker nor steam or any of us are at fault, yourself, and your wallet now.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I am somewhat dismayed now that I realize it wasn't releasing in 24 hours but instead releasing a MONTH from now. It feels like I was just dug into for additional capital. Caveat emptor and all that, but I doubt I'll be buying in on any further of Steam's experiments. Monster Truck Nitro was a disappointment and this is now a bit of an irritant.[/QUOTE]

I dug around a bit and found you a way out of your proverbial hole of additional capital. :lol:

Steam Refund Policy
Question

I bought a game with my credit card through Steam and either don't like it or don't want it anymore. Can I get a refund?

Answer

As with most software products, we will not offer refunds for purchases made online as outlined in the software license - please review Section 4 of the Steam Subscriber Agreement for more information.
Steam Subscriber Agreement

Steam Subscriber Agreement

We can make an exception for pre-ordered games if the request is received prior to the release date.

... and on this note I may just bite now and I could change my mind closer to release date. Hopefully by then more people will get hands-on with the game and if it looks good I still get the deal.

interesting theme/visuals and it's based on the source engine. $10 seems like a deal. in for 1.

[quote name='xycury']And the situation is that you didn't read properly, and understood what you got yourself into.

Neither the maker nor steam or any of us are at fault, yourself, and your wallet now.[/quote]
Speaking of reading properly, I thought I acknowledged that in my original post...

Either way, it isn't about my wallet. I waste more money on more worthless crap every day. The problem is the principle. Steam sales are, to my perception, taking a more and more weaselly turn. How many of them are available on games that actually have demos out for them?

[quote name='Brak']What are some good indie games?[/QUOTE]

I'd highly recommend World of Goo if you didn't buy that a couple weeks ago at the Weekend Sale. I've also been enjoying Eets.

I've been waiting for a good sale on Aquaria (which seems like a cross between Metroid and Ecco the Dolphin). I bet it will hit $10 some time, but I'm grabbing it now, just in case.

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble is an inventive RPG. Check out this review. Got it for $6.69.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
Either way, it isn't about my wallet. I waste more money on more worthless crap every day. The problem is the principle. Steam sales are, to my perception, taking a more and more weaselly turn. How many of them are available on games that actually have demos out for them?[/QUOTE]

I don't know what principle you think you're standing on here. I can't see any weasely element in offering a significant preorder discount or the many other excellent sales Steam offers. Games have demos when the developer feels like creating one. Sure it's great that all XBLA games on 360 have demos, but they rarely go on sale or have price drops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit on this Steam deal as well. Unfortunately I missed out on Zeno Clash for $10, but I did pick up Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble ($6.69) and The Path ($8.99).

1) It might be nice if they had this sale when all the games on the indie promotion page were actually available for sale.

Braid, And Yet It Moves, Between, Musaic Box, etc.

2) Am I the only one unable to download the demos for Musaic Box & Between?

[quote name='cheapo72']1) It might be nice if they had this sale when all the games on the indie promotion page were actually available for sale.

Braid, And Yet It Moves, Between, Musaic Box, etc.[/QUOTE]

The sale runs until the 29th. Some of those games come out closely after that, so I'm hoping their pre-orders will at least fall during the sale.

But yeah, it is a little annoying looking through the catalogue and seeing so many games on there that aren't even available yet. Dyson doesn't even come out until the end of July!

bread's done
Back