Steam Midweek Madness Deal - Psychonauts $2

Let me break it down for everyone here:

Buy this. You use bacon to summon a character. If this does not convince you, you are unconvinceable, and also your life is a total waste.

If you don't own this game, you HAVE to buy it. If you've never played it, you HAVE to buy it.

While it hasn't had much competition, Psychonauts is easily one of the best platformers from the past decade. For $2, you can NOT pass it up. Trust me on this - it's worth every bit of the critical acclaim and other love it's received since it came out.

I own this on the PS2, but the PS2 port seems to be rather bad (and the poor PS3 emulation of the title only hampers it)...

From what I've played, the game is well-worth $2 bucks, though! Im wondering if playing it on the PC would help me enjoy it better tho...

if you haven't played it and like video games of the action/platformer variety, you owe it to yourself to buy this. Don't think, just buy. 2 dollars is a ridiculous deal.

Oh wow, $2 is totally impulse buy territory for me, and this is actually better than an impulse buy-type game.

Ah damn, I'm tempted to buy this even though I got it for XBox years ago - It's amazing?

Can anyone tell me how well it controls with mouse/keyboard?

[quote name='sippycupz']Amazing deal, but I'd rather have this one on console I think[/QUOTE]

Load times on console versions were horrid!

I already have this on PS2 but bought it again for 2 bucks just to make Tim Schafer happy.

[quote name='Donnums']Ah damn, I'm tempted to buy this even though I got it for XBox years ago - It's amazing?

Can anyone tell me how well it controls with mouse/keyboard?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='sippycupz']Amazing deal, but I'd rather have this one on console I think[/QUOTE]
It's 2 effin dollars, don't think just pull the trigger.

I'm in the same boat as many of you: I own a PS2 copy but bought this because of the console version's horrendous loading times (not to mention its lower resolution).

[quote name='Warlock82']
Don't know about PS3, but no on the Xbox 360 controller. You need a special adaptor.[/QUOTE]

Few points:

1) You only need the adapter if you are using a Wireless controller (granted that is the vast majority of people, but I digress) The wired (usb) 360 Controller works out of the box, just plug it into your PC
2) If you have a Wireless controller with the USB play n' charge kit, you STILL need the adapter. The USB cable only charges the battery and does not transfer any data over the wire - the controller is still communicating wirelessly.
3) The cheapest way to get the adapter, since it is now OOS everywhere, is to buy the wireless package from Amazon: Link This comes with the controller and the wireless adapter for $50 (at the time of me writing this but I've seen it go lower). The adapter itself would cost $20 new, so it's basically picking up another wireless controller for $30 and saving some hassle with ebay/3rd party vendors.
4) It's totally worth it if you play racing games or platformers such as this, although platformers are pretty rare on the PC. There are also built in configs for TF2, L4D, L4D2 (among many other cross-platform titles) for you console players that want to bridge over to the PC.

[quote name='spuffin']3) The cheapest way to get the adapter, since it is now OOS everywhere, is to buy the wireless package from Amazon: Link This comes with the controller and the wireless adapter for $50 (at the time of me writing this but I've seen it go lower). The adapter itself would cost $20 new, so it's basically picking up another wireless controller for $30 and saving some hassle with ebay/3rd party vendors.[/QUOTE]

For those wondering, I've seen the PC-branded controller/receiver package hit $30 a few times at Amazon. That was the price I paid for it two years ago.

Anyone having issues with the default mapping for a 360 controller? I seem to not have my "look" mapped correctly.

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but the internet boards are only helping me through half of my problem. I downloaded Xpadder and configured it to my wireless Xbox 360 controller and everything (that's what I found on the internet). But now, I can't figure out how to get it working with games (Mostly Psychonauts since I did download it for this....and maybe Indigo Prophecy...). If anyone can help, or offer a link, that would be awesome. I've always wanted to try this game, but I simply suck with keyboard and mouse :cry:

EDIT: I'm an idiot, and I just figured it out for Psychonauts. but if anyone has a mapping image like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49337/steam/p/xpadderpsychonauts.PNG, except for Indigo Prophecy, that would be awesome too I guess, since I can't map it myself considering I'm a complete screw up... Thanks though everyone!

EDIT 2: Incase anyone needs it since I FINALLY found it, the map layout for Indigo Prophecy can be found here http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/indigo-prophecy-gamepad-help/988828 (someone posts the entire setup for it, and if anyone needs help let me know). Thanks anyways though guys! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rapsodist']For those wondering, I've seen the PC-branded controller/receiver package hit $30 a few times at Amazon. That was the price I paid for it two years ago.[/QUOTE]

If you keep your eye on your local Targets, seems that 360 WIRED controllers have hit clearance ;)

[quote name='Nesmaster75']This is probably the wrong place to ask, but the internet boards are only helping me through half of my problem. I downloaded Xpadder and configured it to my wireless Xbox 360 controller and everything (that's what I found on the internet). But now, I can't figure out how to get it working with games (Mostly Psychonauts since I did download it for this....and maybe Indigo Prophecy...). If anyone can help, or offer a link, that would be awesome. I've always wanted to try this game, but I simply suck with keyboard and mouse :cry:

EDIT: I'm an idiot, and I just figured it out for Psychonauts. but if anyone has a mapping image like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49337/steam/p/xpadderpsychonauts.PNG, except for Indigo Prophecy, that would be awesome too I guess, since I can't map it myself considering I'm a complete screw up... Thanks though everyone!

EDIT 2: Incase anyone needs it since I FINALLY found it, the map layout for Indigo Prophecy can be found here http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/indigo-prophecy-gamepad-help/988828 (someone posts the entire setup for it, and if anyone needs help let me know). Thanks anyways though guys! :D[/QUOTE]
I don't understand what you're doing here. Several posts in this thread indicate that Psychonauts has native 360 controller support. You should only be using xpadder when a game doesn't have native support since it is a sort of clunky solution UNLESS you really want to customize the controls that the game won't allow.

[quote name='spuffin']I don't understand what you're doing here. Several posts in this thread indicate that Psychonauts has native 360 controller support. You should only be using xpadder when a game doesn't have native support since it is a sort of clunky solution UNLESS you really want to customize the controls that the game won't allow.[/QUOTE]
I read through all 4 pages and noticed that, but in the options for the controls I couldn't find anything other than the standard PC controls. Then various forums said use Xpadder (which I've never heard of until I purchased this game) or something called XBCD, which seemed way to confusing for me. Anyways, just ignore it then, I figured it out anyways, and a good Indigo Prophecy layout...though I'm still stuck on the part I was before for all the wrong reasons... :D

[quote name='spuffin']I don't understand what you're doing here. Several posts in this thread indicate that Psychonauts has native 360 controller support. You should only be using xpadder when a game doesn't have native support since it is a sort of clunky solution UNLESS you really want to customize the controls that the game won't allow.[/QUOTE]

Does it have native 360 pad support? It says it's compatible with game pads but doesn't specifically mention the 360 support. I'm running into the same issue of not being able to get the game to detect my 360 pad and it would seem that because this game came out prior to the existence of the 360, it does not have native support for 360 controllers. Am I missing something here? Anyone figure out a "native" solution that doesn't involve outside software or drivers? Also it appears the XBCD drivers aren't compatible with Windows 7 64 bit? Any ideas?

Update - So I tried out Xpadder 5.6 (Windows 7 supported) and it works great. I still don't think this game has native support for 360 controllers though. Feel free to prove me wrong if someone knows of a way to use a 360 pad w/o xpadder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I signed up for a steam account just so i can get in on this deal. :D i'm not a pc gamer as my main pc is a laptop... But i figure down the road when i have the money to build a pc i'll be able to play more PC games... :D

Steam...PSN could learn from them. They do digital downloads right; sales ALL the time, not keeping games that have dropped in stores to $19.99 and $39.99. Hopefully Sony sees the light in time to save the PSP Go.

[quote name='etcrane']Does it have native 360 pad support? It says it's compatible with game pads but doesn't specifically mention the 360 support. I'm running into the same issue of not being able to get the game to detect my 360 pad and it would seem that because this game came out prior to the existence of the 360, it does not have native support for 360 controllers. Am I missing something here? Anyone figure out a "native" solution that doesn't involve outside software or drivers? Also it appears the XBCD drivers aren't compatible with Windows 7 64 bit? Any ideas?

Update - So I tried out Xpadder 5.6 (Windows 7 supported) and it works great. I still don't think this game has native support for 360 controllers though. Feel free to prove me wrong if someone knows of a way to use a 360 pad w/o xpadder.[/QUOTE]I was referring to the posts by KillingMachine and Z(+)DIAC. I'll be able to test it myself this weekend.

There shouldn't be a need to use external software like Xpadder. In the game options you should be able to change the bindings to anything you want. I played the disc version using a 360 controller and don't remember having a problem. The initial config may need some tweaking though to make the best use of the 360 controller. Any changes you'd want to make should be available in the controls/bindings area of the options menu.

Finally! I was waiting all holiday sale for a deal on this that never came. Now, it's dirt cheap! Instant buy, and it will be nice to play with the 360 controller I got for christmas.

how long does it take to beat this? I've actually got my backlog under control and don't need anymore...but if its a relatively short game i'm ganna get it

bread's done
Back