Steam: SEGA Week. (Complete Pack: $89.99)

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
promo_image_english.jpg

The Complete Pack comes with over 15 games and several expansion/map packs.

------

Friday: Football Manager 2010 ($19.99, normally $39.99) 50% off [Metacritic: 87]

Thursday: Empire: Total War ($20.40, normally $59.99) 66% off [Metacritic: 90]
Thursday: Napoleon: Total War ($26.79, normally $39.99) 33% off [Metacritic: 81]

Wednesday: Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing ($14.99, normally $29.99) 50% off

Tuesday: The SEGA Sci-Fi Pack ($17.49) [The games in this pack are currently individually discounted, as well.]
Tuesday: Space Siege ($5.00, normally $19.99) 75% off [Metacritic: 60]
Tuesday: Stormrise ($7.50, normally $29.99) 75% off [Metacritic: 42]
Tuesday: Universe at War: Earth Assault ($5.00, normally $19.99) 75% off [Metacritic: 77]

Monday: Aliens vs. Predator ($24.99, normally $49.99) 50% off [Metacritic: 68]

------

Is the two-stars rating for my format or the fact that these deals are garbage? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was tempted by AvP for the campaigns, but yeah, $25 is too steep still.

I'd totally bite on a Sega All-Stars Racing for ~$10 or less. I'm guessing it will be $10-$15 one day this week.

To Sega: please pack all Empire TW in one pack and sell it for $50 - I will buy it in a beat. The rest I either already own (Medieval, Rome) or have zero interest in. These mega-packs are usually always a crap deal unless they are really dirt cheap (which $90 ain't).

[quote name='Default09']Kinda unrelated, but is Tropico on sale AGAIN right after this past weekend?

It's at the very top of the "Specials" tab.[/QUOTE]

Steam never removed the sale price. It was still on sale all of yesterday as well.

Pretty shocking, they could make this package $19.99 and I still wouldn't be interested.
$89.99???
Rockstar Week, it ain't.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Steam never removed the sale price. It was still on sale all of yesterday as well.[/QUOTE]

I see. It was on top of the Specials list, so I assumed that it went on sale again.

[quote name='Default09']I see. It was on top of the Specials list, so I assumed that it went on sale again.[/QUOTE]

I think I remember them advertising it on sale through Wednesday.

Sega Sci Fi pack is now on sale for $17.49

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4348/

Includes:

Space Siege - $5.00
Stormrise - $7.50
Universe At War : Earth Assault $5.00

They are also on sale seperately. I played the demo of Universe At War and liked it so I might bite at that price. I'm not sure about the others though.

Universe at War has some crashing issues and they are not being addressed by the developer. You should read the Steam forums - buyer beware. It popped up on me after the first level. I know all games have threads about crashing, but this one seems more bug-plagued than most.

Stormrise got a rather embarassing 2/10 review from Gamespot and has a 42 average score at Metacritic.

I'm somewhat tempted by Space Seige for $5.00 despite the lackluster reviews. I'd love to hear some opinions on that one.

[quote name='hal']
I'm somewhat tempted by Space Seige for $5.00 despite the lackluster reviews. I'd love to hear some opinions on that one.[/QUOTE]

Not worth it. It is as generic, bland, and boring as the reviews describe it.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Sega Sci Fi pack is now on sale for $17.49

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4348/

Includes:

Space Siege - $5.00
Stormrise - $7.50
Universe At War : Earth Assault $5.00

They are also on sale seperately. I played the demo of Universe At War and liked it so I might bite at that price. I'm not sure about the others though.[/QUOTE]

Just get Universe at War. They're the same price separately as they are together so you might as well skip the the other two since they're shit.

So I'm getting that Universe at War is a good (but not great) game, marred by several serious bugs. Is that a fair assessment?

[quote name='mokmoof']So I'm getting that Universe at War is a good (but not great) game, marred by several serious bugs. Is that a fair assessment?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It is nothing to rave about, but it is fairly decent. And it is even better than decent if you have an Xbox Live account and want achievements. Of course if you can't stand Games for Windows Live then that could make the game considerably worse.

[quote name='Kaltic']Yeah. It is nothing to rave about, but it is fairly decent. And it is even better than decent if you have an Xbox Live account and want achievements. Of course if you can't stand Games for Windows Live then that could make the game considerably worse.[/QUOTE]
I feel about GFWL the same way that I feel about I Can't Believe It's Not Butter: I don't entirely see the point, but I can live with it if there's no other option.

Looking like I'll take a pass on Universe at War, then. Thanks for the input.

Universe at War was a lot of fun for me.
Storyline was garbage but the walkers and the teleporting faction were great fun.
Third faction is boooooring though. Skip that.

For $5 I'd say it is well worth it.

Oddly, the one other Sega game on Steam that I want (I already have OutRun), Sega Rally Revo, isn't in the so-called "Sega Complete Pack." I hope it gets the 75%-off treatment, individually.

Also, as I mentioned in the Steam thread, I'm wondering if this sale isn't going to lead into the release of the "Sega Classics" games on Steam, which I've detailed in the other thread. Would be an opportune time, I think.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']

Not even that. Sega's been releasing titles on the PC for years; I remember getting ports of the Sonic games that were released well over a decade ago. Sega has a huge back catalog of stuff that could conceivably be on Steam, and while the demand may not be huge for all of it, they could be offering a much more diverse set of titles.[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_PC

Wow, you're right that is a large catalog of games available to them. as a matter of fact, some of the games are actually avaiable through other DD channels. I bought Condemned from Gamers Gate not that long ago. Putting these games up on steam seems like a no-brainer, especially during sales like these. Even old games can sell a ton during steam sales if they're priced right. Seems like they're missing out on easy money here.

[quote name='doodofdoods']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_PC[/QUOTE]
Don't forget that many of SEGA's PC ports from the 90's were unfinished and, in most cases, barely unplayable. Sonic CD, for example, didn't work with Windows at all, crashing when going to Full Screen and requiring the color level to be dropped to 256. SEGA did not put much of its money into its PC porting team back in the day.

Those older SEGA games are best left forgotten, I assure you.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Sonic CD, for example, didn't work with Windows at all, crashing when going to Full Screen and requiring the color level to be dropped to 256.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the color depth thing is not really a completely unheard-of problem with early Win32 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I played a fair number of computer games back in the day, and Sonic CD was the only one I ever encountered with that requirement. Whatever the case may have been, the lesson is still the same: Avoid SEGA's PC ports from the 90's.

On a somewhat related note, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is now available for $14.99.

I'd really like to get Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing but I think getting spoiled by all of these 75% sales on Steam has ruined me. Anyone recommend jumping on it at that price?

Well, I already told myself that I wouldn't buy unless it was 75% off. I know that is pretty cheap ass of me, but I guess that's the exact reason I'm here.

AMIRIGHT!?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']On a somewhat related note, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is now available for $14.99.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mike UFC']I'd really like to get Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing but I think getting spoiled by all of these 75% sales on Steam has ruined me. Anyone recommend jumping on it at that price?[/QUOTE]

Just a reminder.

[quote name='Sega explaining why there is no online mode for the PC version']Truth us we did look at online support, be it GFW or some other method.

When we looked into the cost vs the projected sales, the two didn't add up. So as a result the feature wasn't added to the game.

One of the main reasons is that on PC people will steal it rather than buy it.[/QUOTE]

fuck Sega. Don't buy that game and give them money for being lazy.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Well, I already told myself that I wouldn't buy unless it was 75% off. I know that is pretty cheap ass of me, but I guess that's the exact reason I'm here.

AMIRIGHT!?[/QUOTE]

We're boat buddies!

[quote name='Sporadic']Just a reminder.

fuck Sega. Don't buy that game and give them money for being lazy.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'll be passing on it until it hits that 75% sweet spot then.

When we looked into the cost vs the projected sales, the two didn't add up. So as a result the feature wasn't added to the game.

[quote name='Sporadic']fuck Sega. Don't buy that game and give them money for being lazy.[/QUOTE]

IT'S LIKE TEN THOUSAND SPOONS.

Irony aside, I'm not sure how "this doesn't make business sense" translates into "Sega is lazy." PC ports almost never put up the number that the console versions do for titles like this, and there's no point in throwing money into a pit for a feature that a tiny fraction of the userbase is going to use for a short period of time. This isn't exactly a game that's going to have an online community, let alone one that's going to be big, enthusiastic, or last for more than a few months after release.

http://forums.sega.com/showpost.php?p=5581439&postcount=50

Pretty amazing, really, that they say it'll have bad sales.

So they take out a major feature that'll cost sales.

Then they'll blame piracy for why it doesn't sell well.

I've asked before and will continue to ask-- how does it work for publishers for us to "vote with our wallets" when the ONLY reason they accept for lost sales is piracy??

I would've jumped on it had they bundled the game with Outrun 2006. I mean, you cant buy the game on Steam normally without getting the $90 complete pack, and supposedly Sega All Stars runs on a similar engine or...something. Anyway, missed opportunity on multiple fronts.

I find Sega's statement moronic and ironic, considering one of the few reasons habitual pirates buy games is if they want to play multiplayer.

[quote name='Justin42']...when the ONLY reason they accept for lost sales is piracy??[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly! I mean it's like a self fulfilled prophecy.

[quote name='Bartman3010']I would've jumped on it had they bundled the game with Outrun 2006. I mean, you cant buy the game on Steam normally without getting the $90 complete pack, and supposedly Sega All Stars runs on a similar engine or...something.[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Really? I played a fair number of computer games back in the day, and Sonic CD was the only one I ever encountered with that requirement. Whatever the case may have been, the lesson is still the same: Avoid SEGA's PC ports from the 90's.

On a somewhat related note, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is now available for $14.99.[/QUOTE]

There was a fairly good fanmade Sonic CD XP patch. A good emulator runs circles around it these days, though.

Daytona USA Deluxe is also really good once you find the rare Direct3D patch. It's not bad without it, but it's great with it. It's too bad they didn't future-proof the game and add in options to extend the draw distance further and make the resolution higher.

I'm on the fence about the All Stars racing. On one hand, I really want it. On the other hand, it's plagued by Micro$oft's proprietary Xinput 360 controller only bullshit. I haven't had luck getting the controller emulator to work with other games either. It doesn't want to work under 7 x64 for me for some reason.

Thanks for the heads up; no buy from me. Sega just lost a customer for that shit.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Thanks for the heads up; no buy from me. Sega just lost a customer for that shit.[/QUOTE]
In a word: Word.

The Mega Pack sounds alright I guess. Empire is rock-bottom at $10.50 on D2D right now, but the Steam Total War Mega Pack adds two more games and three expansions for 10 more bucks. Either way, the DLC is going to kill you because E: TW has $22.50 worth of extra DLC if you want the entire experience.

I'd much rather have seen a package price for E: TW and all the DLC. Maybe in the neighborhood of $20.00.

[quote name='hal']The Mega Pack sounds alright I guess. Empire is rock-bottom at $10.50 on D2D right now, but the Steam Total War Mega Pack adds two more games and three expansions for 10 more bucks. Either way, the DLC is going to kill you because E: TW has $22.50 worth of extra DLC if you want the entire experience.

I'd much rather have seen a package price for E: TW and all the DLC. Maybe in the neighborhood of $20.00.[/QUOTE]

Yeah,

I too, would much rather see Empire TW pack separate from the legacy games. $20 would be probably too much to ask but for $50 (including Napoleon and all DLCs, of course), this would be a nice way for Creative Assembly to pick up quite a few new fans.

Bumped up your thread rating for you, since I like the format. :p

I'm hoping for a deal on the Vancouver 2010 game since it's the only Games for Windows Live title that I can't buy in a store. >..

[quote name='dabamus']Bumped up your thread rating for you, since I like the format. :p[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, thanks - I know the deals are abysmal, but I've at least made the effort to keep the topic properly updated. (Thinking about it, though, the amount of effort should have coincided with the value of the sale.)

I hope the next Publisher Week is something worthwhile, like Ubisoft. What Publisher Week would you like to see in the coming weeks/months?

[quote name='EliotAndrews'] What Publisher Week would you like to see in the coming weeks/months?[/QUOTE]

In my short tenure with Steam, I have yet to see the
Valve complete pack take a nice discount hit.
I hope to see that every time I visit the site.

[quote name='eastx']I want to see Capcom or Konami weeks, myself. Very few Steam sales on titles from those companies so far.[/QUOTE]
A CAPCOM week would be insane, but only if they offer games at actual deal prices. (Unlike SEGA.)

Konami week might be a bit lacking; They're not even listed among the known Publishers. Konami isn't much known for their PC releases, but, certainly, Rocket Knight for $5 would be awesome.

bread's done
Back