Feedback
180 (100%)
header.jpg

spotlight_NEW_friday.jpg
spotlight_NEW_thursday.jpg
spotlight_NEW_wednesday.jpg
spotlight_home_NEW_tuesday.jpg
spotlight_home_NEW_3.jpg

Through the 14th, Steam & Square-Enix/Eidos will be offering sales on some of their catalog of great games.

Weekend Deals:
Batman:Arkham Asylum $24.99 (50% off)
Just Cause $7.49 (50% off)
Batman/Just Cause Bundle $22.09 (66% off)
Final Fantasy XI Online: Ultimate Collection $7.49 (50% off)

Metacritic:
Batman: Arkham Asylum (91)
Just Cause (75)
Final Fantasy XI Online (85)
Final Fantasy XI Online: Chains of Promathia (77)
Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess (XX)
Final Fantasy XI Online: Treasures of Art Urhgan (83)
Final Fantasy XI Online: A Crystalline Prophecy (XX)

Demos:
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Just Cause

Thursday the 11th:
Mini Ninjas $14.99 (50% off)
Gyromancer $7.99 (50% off)
Bundle Pack $15.29 (66% off)

Metacritic:
Mini Ninjas (74)
Gyromancer (71)

Demos:
Mini Ninjas
Gyromancer

Wednesday the 10th:

Tuesday the 9th:
Monday the 8th -
Hitman/Deus Ex Series 50%, or buy them all for 66% off
Deus Ex $4.99 (50% off)
Deus Ex: Invisible War $4.99 (50% off)
Hitman: Codename 47 $4.99 (50% off)
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin $4.99 (50% off)
Hitman: Blood Money $4.99 (50% off)

Hitman/Deus Ex Bundle $16.98 (66% off)
The Hitman Collection $7.99 (60% total savings)
The Deus Ex Collection [currently no savings]

Metacritic:
Deus Ex (90)
Deus Ex: Invisible War (80)
Hitman: Codename 47 (73)
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (87)
Hitman: Blood Money (82)

Demos:
Deus Ex & Demo addon mission
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Hitman: Codename 47
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin & Demo 2
Hitman: Blood Money

Last edited by a moderator:
Anniversary is tempting, but I can get it on PS2 for around that same price I'm sure.

Blarg.actualy, I'm happy, because Steam is staying out of my wallet again XD

At one point I believe Underworld was on sale for $5. Nothing for me today.

I guess there isn't going to be a separate Midweek Madness this week?

Underworld was 75% off last december for $7.50, Legend has never been on sale before exluding the 40% off of everything Eidos during the holiday sale.

Last Remnant at $10 would be great, but no way at $20. Bah, that was one of the ones I was waiting for. Now just hoping on Gyromancer and maybe Batman.

Very disappointed today. Wish I had got the Deus Ex games instead of just the Hitman ones now. There doesn't seem to be anything else this week worth getting.

[quote name='mokmoof']I'm just plain surprised that Last Remnant is double what it was before. Also, what that game has to do with Tomb Raider, I have no idea.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]
Its the Square-Enix/Eidos sale, the Square-Enix side has to pop up SOMETIME!

Then again, Square-Enix only has, what, 2 non-Eidos games on Steam?

[quote name='KillerRamen']The Last Remnant (PC) on steam is twice what I paid for the 360 version at K-Mart.[/QUOTE]

The PC version apparently runs much better. Nonetheless, I won't be buying since they priced it too high.

[quote name='Decker']Very disappointed today. Wish I had got the Deus Ex games instead of just the Hitman ones now. There doesn't seem to be anything else this week worth getting.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised to see the last day be a "revisit" of the entire week of sales. Just a guess.

[quote name='KillerRamen']The Last Remnant (PC) on steam is twice what I paid for the 360 version at K-Mart.[/QUOTE]

I would have thought that by now $19.99 would be the list price for The Last Remnant and not the sale price! :cry:

What they should really do for the last day is surprise everyone and pop the PC port of Final Fantasy 7 up on Steam :D (which was ironically done by Eidos and is actually a better version of the game than the PSX version)

The Last Remnant for $20? Meh, that was the only thing I was looking forward to in this sale and was really hoping it would be at $10 again. No way I'm biting at that price.

[quote name='Warlock82']What they should really do for the last day is surprise everyone and pop the PC port of Final Fantasy 7 up on Steam :D (which was ironically done by Eidos and is actually a better version of the game than the PSX version)[/QUOTE]
After you patch it to work reliably on XP and use the PSX version's music, of course.

[quote name='BitLooter']After you patch it to work reliably on XP and use the PSX version's music, of course.[/QUOTE]

Right :) I was trying to find a list of the differences which is proving to be strangely difficult. As I recall though, the translation is vastly improved, and I think it adds a new boss along with a few other minor things.

Whoa, today's deals are pretty bad. I recall Last Remnant being $9.99 or lower during a Midweek Deal, and $7.49 or lower for the Tomb Raider's. (Although, I don't think Legend was ever a Midweek/Weekend deal. Nevertheless.)

This is clearly the weakest sale of the week.

I guess I'm a bit spoiled; In earlier Steam sales, I got Tomb Raider: Anniversary for $4.99 and Underworld for $7.49. Seeing these games available for higher prices during another promotion brings out the extreme CAGer in me.

[quote name='trogoldito']The Last Remnant for $20? Meh, that was the only thing I was looking forward to in this sale and was really hoping it would be at $10 again. No way I'm biting at that price.[/QUOTE]

Same here, was hoping it'd be < $10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleh, these prices are pretty terrible. As someone mentioned, Newegg has Tomb Raider Anniversary for $6.99. Amazon has Underworld for $9.41. And, The Last Remanent is $19.99 everywhere. And, I'm not even talking about past deals.

LOL wow I dont these are real deals but more of a profile on how much SquareEnix needs to improve there PC software lineup.

I'd be all over some FF deals - but Last Remnant I just wasn't impressed with on the PC...of course, I wasn't using a controller, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Square-Enix has never supported the PC much over the last 20 years.

On a related subject, I had forgotten that Final Fantasy VII and VIII PC ports exist. (Humorously enough, published by EIDOS.) I'm sure that, since they're not regarded as good ports, they're no longer mentioned.

I remember when some PC games, like Final Fantasy VII and Tomb Raider, came in triangular boxes. Why was that?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Square-Enix has never supported the PC much over the last 20 years.

On a related subject, I had forgotten that Final Fantasy VII and VIII PC ports exist. (Humorously enough, published by EIDOS.) I'm sure that, since they're not regarded as good ports, they're no longer mentioned.

I remember when some PC games, like Final Fantasy VII and Tomb Raider, came in triangular boxes. Why was that?[/QUOTE]

All Eidos PC games came in triangular boxes for the longest time. It was just some weird thing they did - most likely an attention grabber (you see a bunch of game boxes on the store shelf, the triangle one is going to stand out).

Also, aside from lower quality audio, the PC port of FFVII is fantastic. They cleaned up the translation and fixed a lot of issues with the PSX version. It also ran at a higher resolution, for what that's worth :p (the graphics were pretty awful and the higher resolution sadly makes this even more evident, especially against the low-res pre-rendered backdrops)

I've only played the demo of the FFVIII PC port, but that one was indeed terrible from what I played. I don't know if they fixed it by retail, but the demo was so bad it even asked you to insert a memory card when you went to save. I seem to recall the menus and everything just taking forever to load too. It was pretty clear it was a low-quality port. Again though, never played the retail version so maybe that was only an issue with the demo.

[quote name='Warlock82']All Eidos PC games came in triangular boxes for the longest time. It was just some weird thing they did - most likely an attention grabber (you see a bunch of game boxes on the store shelf, the triangle one is going to stand out).
[/QUOTE]
Weren't they trapizoidal boxes or am I remembering incorrectly?

[quote name='Warlock82']I've only played the demo of the FFVIII PC port, but that one was indeed terrible from what I played. I don't know if they fixed it by retail, but the demo was so bad it even asked you to insert a memory card when you went to save. I seem to recall the menus and everything just taking forever to load too. It was pretty clear it was a low-quality port. Again though, never played the retail version so maybe that was only an issue with the demo.[/QUOTE]
Whoa, I had completely forgotten this, but I owned the PC port of Final Fantasy VIII. It was during my pre-PS2 days, when I was still young and thought Nintendo could do no wrong after the NES and SNES.

The PC port of VIII was terrible - Slow, unexciting battle transition, poor audio (Missing channels, specifically.), and nothing was cleaned up graphically. (No anti-aliasing, stretched out backgrounds, and clipping all over the place.) Extra slow load times made Anthology and Chronicles cringe. After I bought a PS2, I grabbed the PSOne version of VIII and sold the PC one on eBay.

Thanks for the flashback, Mr. Warlock.

People, be thankful those ports are no longer in circulation! Do yourselves a favor and grab the PSN versions. (I believe VII exists on the PSN, but I don't know about VIII. VII is the better choice anyway.)

[quote name='EliotAndrews'] Seeing these games available for higher prices during another promotion brings out the extreme CAGer in me.[/QUOTE]
Haha well put.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Whoa, I had completely forgotten this, but I owned the PC port of Final Fantasy VIII. It was during my pre-PS2 days, when I was still young and thought Nintendo could do no wrong after the NES and SNES.

The PC port of VIII was terrible - Slow, unexciting battle transition, poor audio (Missing channels, specifically.), and nothing was cleaned up graphically. (No anti-aliasing, stretched out backgrounds, and clipping all over the place.) Extra slow load times made Anthology and Chronicles cringe. After I bought a PS2, I grabbed the PSOne version of VIII and sold the PC one on eBay.

Thanks for the flashback, Mr. Warlock.

People, be thankful those ports are no longer in circulation! Do yourselves a favor and grab the PSN versions. (I believe VII exists on the PSN, but I don't know about VIII. VII is the better choice anyway.)[/QUOTE]Both 7 ad 8 are up on PSN

And yes, the PC Port of FF8 is horrible. the PC Port of FF7, however, with the appropriate mods, is very very great.

[quote name='trogoldito']The Last Remnant for $20? Meh, that was the only thing I was looking forward to in this sale and was really hoping it would be at $10 again. No way I'm biting at that price.[/QUOTE]

ditto. i was really hoping theyd do this for $10 or less, but for $20... i have plenty of games in my backlog already.

I cannot believe this, but VIII for the PC is going for $50-100 on eBay! Even if it is rare, why go after such an inferior version? To me, this is like a PC version of E.T. going for $100+. Why waste one's hard-earned money so aggressively?

Could someone explain this phenomenon of absolute idiocy?

[quote name='gospelman']The PC version of The Last Remnant apparently runs much better. Nonetheless, I won't be buying since they priced it too high.[/QUOTE]
Correct, they fixed a lot of things to make the PC version better, and even so $20 should be the list price, not the sale price.

[quote name='Decker']Weren't they trapizoidal boxes or am I remembering incorrectly?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was generalizing :p It's *basically* a triangle, only with the top cut off :)

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I cannot believe this, but VIII for the PC is going for $50-100 on eBay! Even if it is rare, why go after such an inferior version? To me, this is like a PC version of E.T. going for $100+. Why waste one's hard-earned money so aggressively?

Could someone explain this phenomenon of absolute idiocy?[/QUOTE]

Yeah people are weird. Stuff that was terrible sells high to collectors because no one bought it.

Eh, I was tempted to try Geomancer, but that is still way too expensive for me.

So far this sale has been pretty terrible. We'll finally get to Batman only to have it be on sale for like, $30.

Wow, Monday's deal is still proving to be the best. Gyromancer is pretty cool but not sure about Mini Ninjas. I was still hoping for a $5 price point on Gyromancer though. I'm feeling another day of pass.

I've been actually looking for Mini Ninjas to hit the $10-15 point and getting Gyromancer for an extra little bit, why not.

I played the Mini Ninjas demo on PC, it's pretty fun. If you enjoyed any adventure games from the n64 days this feels alot like one of those.

bread's done
Back