Steam weekend deal - Everything Half-Life 66% ($17) off or Valve complete for 10% off

I missed out on Opposing Force.. how well does a game like that run on new systems? It seems like they keep updating them so maybe it will be ok.

Wait, since when did you have to pay for CS, DoD, et cetera if you already have HL? Oh I get it, they're trying to make it look like you're saving money on games that are normally free with HL, when they can also be bought as stand-alone games. Connivery at its best. . .

I find it odd that "everything half-life" excludes The Orange Box...

I'm still as happy as a clam from getting ToB for $9.99 on Steam back in April.

Was looking at the Valve complete pack for $89.99 and it doesn't look bad. I don't own any of the games (except for Ricochet, and Left 4 Dead on Xbox 360), so it might be a good buy. The only thing is that Left 4 Dead is a game where you really want everyone to have mic's and most PC games I play have no talkers. That's usually the reason I get co-op games on Xbox as opposed to PC. Like, I can play Call of Duty and GTA IV without a mic, but gametypes like Nazi Zombies and Free Mode in GTA IV suck without mics. I have one, but no one else usually does...so I'll probably think about that pack. If I decide not to get it maybe I'll go with Half Life.

HL2 episode pack is only 6.79, and HL2 complete is down to 11.89 just incase you are the one person who hasn't had a chance to play the sequel.

I'm not convinced the "Valve complete" deal is that good of a deal, unless you really want to go back and reply all of HL1 and some of the original mods. But you can get all of the "new" games by just buying the Orange Box + L4D for thirty bucks cheaper (both are $27 on amazon right now).

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']It's got some mildly better lighting and water effects.[/QUOTE]

there are free HD mods availible for Half Life: Source with higher resolution textures and less jaggy character models

[quote name='ferrari91169'] The only thing is that Left 4 Dead is a game where you really want everyone to have mic's and most PC games I play have no talkers.[/QUOTE]

In my experience (playing co-op almost exclusively with randoms on public servers) L4D has a pretty good number of people with with mics. Not great mind you, but in most games there's usually been at least one person with a mic -- and hey, if that's you, then people generally listen and you get to be the leader. :) The game does a good job, IMO, of encouraging teamplay even without voice chat. I'm talking entirely about co-op campaign and survival mode here, I don't really play versus, where I understand voice chat (especially if only one team is using it) is more important. Anyway, its a great game, and really fun on the PC.

---

Also, I'm getting HL:Source now, because that sounds pretty cool.

[quote name='Jodou']Wait, since when did you have to pay for CS, DoD, et cetera if you already have HL? Oh I get it, they're trying to make it look like you're saving money on games that are normally free with HL, when they can also be bought as stand-alone games. Connivery at its best. . .[/QUOTE]

CS, DoD, OpFor, and Blue Shift come free with a Half-Life retail key. If you don't have one, HL1 is sold solo on Steam.

I'm only missing HL:S/DM:S from Valve (and Condition Zero), so I'm grabbing that pack, and phragit's post got me searching:
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24008
This forum post includes links to a HD pack for HL:S and one that's 'in-progress'.

They need to stop putting deals out on Half-Life stuff. I feel like every time they have a deal on Half-Life stuff they're saying 'sorry, we couldn't get a publisher/developer to have a deal this weekend'.

[quote name='KingBroly']They need to stop putting deals out on Half-Life stuff. I feel like every time they have a deal on Half-Life stuff they're saying 'sorry, we couldn't get a publisher/developer to have a deal this weekend'.[/QUOTE]

So would you rather them not a put a deal up on those weekends then?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']A little off topic but I went to Best Buy and found TF2 for 10 dollars. Got my brother a copy![/QUOTE]

Pretty bad deal if you ask me, considering best buy had The Orange Box on sale for $10, as well as Steam...that, and TF2 is a terrible shooter...but thats just me. :p

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Pretty bad deal if you ask me, considering best buy had The Orange Box on sale for $10, as well as Steam...that, and TF2 is a terrible shooter...but thats just me. :p[/QUOTE]

Promptly jump off your nearest bridge. Thank you.

Yeah, those were great but I don't see them coming back again any time soon.

The Complete Valve pack doesn't seem like that great of a deal, but no matter which way you look at the Complete Half-life pack, it's damn stellar.

[quote name='ferrari91169']Was looking at the Valve complete pack for $89.99 and it doesn't look bad. I don't own any of the games (except for Ricochet, and Left 4 Dead on Xbox 360), so it might be a good buy. The only thing is that Left 4 Dead is a game where you really want everyone to have mic's and most PC games I play have no talkers. That's usually the reason I get co-op games on Xbox as opposed to PC. Like, I can play Call of Duty and GTA IV without a mic, but gametypes like Nazi Zombies and Free Mode in GTA IV suck without mics. I have one, but no one else usually does...so I'll probably think about that pack. If I decide not to get it maybe I'll go with Half Life.[/QUOTE]
The thing is though, is that on L4D if someone doesn't have a mic. I can almost guarantee they use the keyboard alot.

[quote name='phragit']there are free HD mods availible for Half Life: Source with higher resolution textures and less jaggy character models[/QUOTE]

Half-Life: Source uses the original character models, the ones before the high-definition pack that was included in Half-Life: Blue Shift.

[quote name='Vegan']The Complete Valve pack doesn't seem like that great of a deal, but no matter which way you look at the Complete Half-life pack, it's damn stellar.[/QUOTE]

you really don't think all of this for $90 is a great deal? :lol:

Counter-Strike
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
Counter-Strike: Source
Day of Defeat
Day of Defeat: Source
Deathmatch Classic
Half-Life
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Source
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Half-Life Deathmatch: Source
Left 4 Dead
Portal
Ricochet
Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress Classic

[quote name='buckythekat']you really don't think all of this for $90 is a great deal? :lol:

[/QUOTE]

I think the issue is that unless you are looking for HL1 + mods, it really isn't that great of a deal. You can get all of the HL2 stuff, TF2, L4D, and Portal for ~thirty bucks cheaper. So really you are paying about $25 for original HL (great game, not trying to deny that) + expansions and mods. My guess is that a lot of people who haven't played the original HL by now are never going to play it, hence why this might not be a stellar deal.

[quote name='eastx']Wait, is it better to get Half Life 1 Anthology or Half Life 1: Source?[/QUOTE]

Get the Half Life 1 Anthology pack since it includes HL1, the two expansions (Opposing Force and Blue Shift) and Team Fortress 1.

Also keep a look out for the Black Mesa: Source mod, it is Half Life 1 but completely remade with the Source engine.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Slightly off topic: I remember one day in high school we had a substitute teacher who did not give a fuck about anything so we could do whatever we want. So a class mate and I downloaded the Opposing Force "demo" from a gaming site and rushed through to see who could beat the demo first.

It turned out that the demo was really the full game but a couple of sections were edited out and we almost beat the entire game in an hour and a half. About a year later I borrowed the Hal Life Platinum Collection (Second Edition) from my cousin and when I played Opposing Force I found out that the demo was really the full game minus about ten minutes.

Those were the days...

This deal isn't that great. The following were on Steam at some point:

Half-Life - $0.98
Blue Shift - $0.99
Opposing Force - $0.99
The Orange Box (HL2, E1, E2) - $9.99

I might get HL:S...
[quote name='cheapo72']CS, DoD, OpFor, and Blue Shift come free with a Half-Life retail key. If you don't have one, HL1 is sold solo on Steam.[/QUOTE]
That's not available if you just have the Steam version, righti?

[quote name='hypertek']im waiting for left 4 dead to go on sale..[/QUOTE]

You missed a couple of times. It was $37 during the holiday sale and it was $25 not too long after that. It probably won't be on sale for a while. Check retail stores. You can register a retail copy on steam.

[quote name='buckythekat']you really don't think all of this for $90 is a great deal? :lol:

Counter-Strike
Day of Defeat
Deathmatch Classic
Half-Life
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Source
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Left 4 Dead
Portal
Ricochet
Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress Classic
[/QUOTE]

Not when you consider that the Half-life Complete pack is $17. So let's delete those items from the list and see what we're left with:

Counter-Strike
Day of Defeat
Deathmatch Classic
Left 4 Dead
Portal
Ricochet
Team Fortress 2

Subtrack 17 dollars, leaves us with 73 for the above, a lot of it miscellaneous and redundant (like getting OG and Source versions of the same games). No, that doesn't get me all that excited.

find an old copy of Half Life, or Blue shift. Input the cd key into steam and you'll get all the old games, as back then they all had the same kind of pattern, so steam doesnt know which one it is. When GS started getting rid of used pc games i got blue shift for a couple bucks, and got all the games. I have since found another copy at goodwill... Put it under my sons account. Keep your eyes open.

[quote name='thepik241']Get the Half Life 1 Anthology pack since it includes HL1, the two expansions (Opposing Force and Blue Shift) and Team Fortress 1.

Also keep a look out for the Black Mesa: Source mod, it is Half Life 1 but completely remade with the Source engine.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about getting HL1 and the expansions but then I remembered the Black Mesa mod. Says you don't need the original Half-Life to play.... I'd much rather play that than the original graphics, so I'm slightly torn here. Doesn't seem like you need the original game to play the expansions either.

[quote name='thepik241']Get the Half Life 1 Anthology pack since it includes HL1, the two expansions (Opposing Force and Blue Shift) and Team Fortress 1.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about getting HL1 and the expansions but then I remembered the Black Mesa mod. Says you don't need the original Half-Life to play.... I'd much rather play that then the original graphics, so I'm slightly torn here. Doesn't seem like you need the original game to play the expansions either.

Edit: Then again there hasn't been any news on Black Mesa source for almost a year now so who knows when it will be out, if ever.

[quote name='TestType']I was thinking about getting HL1 and the expansions but then I remembered the Black Mesa mod. Says you don't need the original Half-Life to play.... I'd much rather play that then the original graphics, so I'm slightly torn here. Doesn't seem like you need the original game to play the expansions either.

Edit: Then again there hasn't been any news on Black Mesa source for almost a year now so who knows when it will be out, if ever.[/QUOTE]

If you check the Black Mesa Source forums the developers have mentioned many times that the mod is still being worked on and there is a good chance it is coming out later this year (perhaps around November).

Also they are not just updating the graphics but they are redoing the music, voices, they are remaking everything so that is why it is taking so long.

But like the other poster said above if you can try and find a Half Life/Blue Shift CD key and type that into Steam, it works fabulously.

Dang nice deals, i'll have to check these out.
151l1259.jpg

Bought Half Life at Goodwill (surprised the game was in an unsealed case and no one stole the disc) for $2.99. Played the game for a bit on an old laptop, then LOST the disc. Half a year later, the disc was found in the old laptop disc tray (lol). Just recently this year, I was messing around with Steam to see which butttons do what, etc and decided to try activating the HL cd key on Steam for fun. Turns out that the key went through and got HL ANTHOLOGY for FREE.

Not that I'd ever bother to play the old HL games and mods anytime soon.:lol:

*BTW: Get L4D on Amazon for $28 with free shipping OR wait for a L4D2 pre-order deal.

[quote name='123pop']
Not that I'd ever bother to play the old HL games and mods anytime soon.:lol:[/QUOTE]

How does it feel to be devoid of a soul?

I have HL and the expansions, but no CS/DoD, etc. Will getting a CD Key give me every game based on the HL1 engine? (CS, DoD, TFC, more?)

[quote name='Doomed']That's not available if you just have the Steam version, righti?[/QUOTE]
Right, you need to activate a retail key.
[quote name='Doomed']I have HL and the expansions, but no CS/DoD, etc. Will getting a CD Key give me every game based on the HL1 engine? (CS, DoD, TFC, more?)[/QUOTE]
I activated my HL retail key and got:
HL1, OpFor, Blue Shift
CS, DoD, Deathmatch Classic, TFC, and Ricochet
I have read that retail keys for Blue Shift and CS will also give you this pack, but Opposing Force keys will not work

[quote name='Arcturiang']Hm, is HL: Source worth the $4 to someone who already owns the original? And the PS2 port?[/QUOTE]

No. It's not worth playing even if you own it. It adds more realistic looking water from Source, and I think ragdoll... but certain scripted events are broken because the new AI now notices you earlier.

Is it worth getting HL2: EP1 and EP2? I played *most* of the original HL2 as part of the orange box, but never got around to later episodes. Is the PC version better looking / better controls than the 360 version?

^yes to all your questions lol.

i bought hl2 when it came out, then i bought orange box when it came out. was worth it.

Already have the orange box for 360 so I picked up the HL anthology for $5, pretty awesome deal.
Also picked up last weeks indy game deal. Really not a PC gamer at all but all these deals are starting to change my mind, I really love Steam and I usually hate internet distribution/drm.

I had to bite. I played HL2 the day it came out, but had never played a half life before it. I picked up HL, HL:S, HL:BS, HL:OF, and HL2:E2 all for only $13. Great deal if you ask me.

bread's done
Back