Steam weekend deal: Hawx $30

Hmm. Tempting, I really want that game, but I'm not sure $30 is my butter point for a non-disc copy of a game.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Ah, so I was right. L4D was not the actual weekend deal.

Thanks, OP. I'll pass, though.[/quote]

They've had multiple weekend deals going on at the same time before. I remember getting Audiosurf and Beyond Good & Evil for $5 each one weekend on Steam.

Torn between PC, and PS3....it's the same price at BB this weekend too. Taxes at the local store obv...but still. Guess I may wait until it's even cheaper.

[quote name='Jodou']Another week, another sad deal.[/QUOTE]

"Another" sad deal? The hell you talkin' about, son?

$10 Orange Box. Half-priced Peggle. $5 Tomb Raider. Kick-ass $10 Ubisoft pack. $3.75 Oddworld. $5 Red Orchestra. $5 Lost Planet. The incredible $10 Indie Pack. Half-priced Left 4 Dead, less than three months after it came out.

I dunno about you, dude, but I think that Steam has been on an epic roll with the Weekend Deals this year. This is the first week this year that I've been able to easily pass up on the deal, without strongly considering it first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']"Another" sad deal? The hell you talkin' about, son?

$10 Orange Box. Half-priced Peggle. $5 Tomb Raider. Kick-ass $10 Ubisoft pack. $3.75 Oddworld. $5 Red Orchestra. $5 Lost Planet. The incredible $10 Indie Pack. Half-priced Left 4 Dead, less than three months after it came out.

I dunno about you, dude, but I think that Steam has been on an epic roll with the Weekend Deals this year. This is the week this year that I've been able to easily pass up on the deal, without strongly considering it first.[/QUOTE]

Yep and that's not even counting the $5 Bioshock and $5 STALKER last year. Steam has been pretty consistent with the amazing deals.

I dunno about you, dude, but I think that Steam has been on an epic roll with the Weekend Deals this year. This is the week this year that I've been able to easily pass up on the deal, without strongly considering it first.[/QUOTE]

He only says stupid things about the weekend deals. I'm pretty sure he's a stealth troll.

After reading a few reviews of Hawx, I'm surprised that I want to play it. Names aren't everything.

I love steam, but 1) its Ubi, 2) its the same price for the console version Sunday at BB. You'll have to do better than this, Valve.

I dunno about you, dude, but I think that Steam has been on an epic roll with the Weekend Deals this year. This is the first week this year that I've been able to easily pass up on the deal, without strongly considering it first.[/QUOTE]

so true. but damn last year there was a $5 bioshock?

[quote name='jp0213']Apparently this isn't a Steam only sale, Direct2Drive, GameStop, UbiDownloadStore and Steam all have it at this price. Maybe indicating a permanent price drop on the game coming. The good thing about getting the UbiDownload version is that they have the patches for their download version.[/quote]

More than likely correct. Ubi games plummet in price a few weeks after release for the most part. This is on sale nearly everywhere this week. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a cut to $39.99 or lower very soon.

[quote name='turls']I love steam, but 1) its Ubi, 2) its the same price for the console version Sunday at BB. You'll have to do better than this, Valve.[/QUOTE]
Assuming everyone has a video game console.

[quote name='Brak']Assuming everyone has a video game console.[/quote]

That's not the point. PC games are supposed to be cheaper than console games.

[quote name='turls']That's not the point. PC games are supposed to be cheaper than console games.[/QUOTE]

Not looking to start a fight or anything but that statement struck me with a high level of distaste and ignorance.

They aren't "Supposed" to be cheaper, it's just that more often than not games are more popular on the console than on the PC. However some games thrive more on the PC like the Orange Box which is still 30$ everywhere save a few sales.

Steam is the way to do digitial distribution. I'll gladly side with them and/or Microsoft's "steam" (u know they want a piece of it with the next sex box) when the time comes.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Not looking to start a fight or anything but that statement struck me with a high level of distaste and ignorance.

They aren't "Supposed" to be cheaper, it's just that more often than not games are more popular on the console than on the PC. However some games thrive more on the PC like the Orange Box which is still 30$ everywhere save a few sales.[/quote]

"distaste and ignorance"? Name me any cross-platform title that started out MSRP on PC less than on console? If it was $50 on PC and $60 on console when it came out, when its on sale, it shouldn't be the same price on both. That's all. Of course this may not apply to a PC port that came out months after a console version and has extra features or is just "newer", but eventually the same rule should apply.

One of the points of being a PC gamer is to not have to pay the licensing fees to MS/Sony/Nintendo by going that route--so where is that extra $5-$10 going if not to licensing fees (not to mention the fact this isn't even a physical copy). . .

Jeez, this should be a "golden rule" of CAG--if a PC port price is the same as the console version, wait for a better deal . . .

[quote name='turls']"distaste and ignorance"? Name me any cross-platform title that started out MSRP on PC less than on console? If it was $50 on PC and $60 on console when it came out, when its on sale, it shouldn't be the same price on both. That's all. Of course this may not apply to a PC port that came out months after a console version and has extra features or is just "newer", but eventually the same rule should apply.

One of the points of being a PC gamer is to not have to pay the licensing fees to MS/Sony/Nintendo by going that route--so where is that extra $5-$10 going if not to licensing fees (not to mention the fact this isn't even a physical copy). . .

Jeez, this should be a "golden rule" of CAG--if a PC port price is the same as the console version, wait for a better deal . . .[/QUOTE]

Dark Sector? Sure it came out a few months later but with actually less features than the console (no online multiplayer) Or Lost Planet (Original, not Colonies so again a lesser version) costs more. The fact of the matter is the statement that "PC games should be less than console versions" is just a stupid idea. I use the word 'distaste' because I am a PC gamer and I don't like the idea of people thinking it's a lesser platform for whatever reason.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Dark Sector? Sure it came out a few months later but with actually less features than the console (no online multiplayer) Or Lost Planet (Original, not Colonies so again a lesser version) costs more. The fact of the matter is the statement that "PC games should be less than console versions" is just a stupid idea. I use the word 'distaste' because I am a PC gamer and I don't like the idea of people thinking it's a lesser platform for whatever reason.[/quote]

Obviously I meant to say name me a cross-platform title that came out on console cheaper than on PC. I had that backwards. Of course if the PC game comes out later it is going to be more expensive initially, I covered that in my post too--that's just standard pricing patterns. If you read my posts here or on the many GoGamer threads you'd know I'm a CAG first, PC Gamer second, console gamer third. All things being equal I want PC games, but crappy ports are hurting that (which sorry to say does in many cases make it a "lesser" platform). What is distasteful is not getting the discount compared to consoles at any point in time--which I've seen more and more of lately (look at Dead Space for another example, all kinds of console sales but PC doesn't change in price much).

bread's done
Back