STEAM Weekend Deal: Rainbow Six Vegas 2 $9.99 (also EA price drops!)

Hm, Steam posted this deal earlier than usual.

I loved the first RB6:V and purchased the second on PC when it was on sale. However, i never got around to playing it. Buying it on Steam is worth the $10 for me. Thanks OP!

EDIT: oh snap, mass effect is $20 with less DRM? and i thought the holiday sale cleaned me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL I just posted a few hours ago that I was going to wait for Red Alert 3 to go on sale on Steam instead of jumping on the 360 version deal.

Sweet!

Anyone know how Red Alert 3 runs? I have a HP laptop with integrated Radeon 3200 graphics. It's not the fastest but I can play Company of Heroes at 1280x800, medium settings at a smooth framerate for example. Should I be OK with RA3? I'll download the demo later but demos aren't always as optimized as the full game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='StarKnightX']Mass Effect seems really tempting at that price.[/quote]

If you and an 8800GT or better, Mass Effect is absolutely gorgeous on the PC, not to mention that all the DLC is free AND the loading times are much shorter than the 360.

:eek: RA3 is so tempting that price, but idk. I have the weekend to sleep on it :D

Aleman, I bet the 3200 can handle RA3, You most likely won't be able to play on all high with AA, but Im sure it's a good bit higher than the min. card they recommend.

C&C3 and Dead Space both look like deals now. Bought Mass Effect PC for 19.99 during the Christmas season (yes, it still has DRM, you just have a few more "free"installs now than before).

Steam removed most of the DRM with mass effect, if I recall correctly. You aren't limited to a certain number of installs, anyways.

And Aleman, you should be fine at medium/low settings with that labtop.

Also, I don't understand why some people prefer controller over mouse and keyboard....but that's just me

A couple of questions about Rainbow Six:

>I haven't played a Rainbow Six game since 1999, when it was a convoluted strategy game. I couldn't even figure the damn thing out, with the plotting out teammate actions on a map prior to playing the level, etc.
I understand it's more of a traditional shooter now? I haven't kept up on it, so if anyone can clarify that would be great. I don't even know if it's 1st person or 3rd.

>Is this one of those shooters that was really designed to playing best on a console?

>How's the single-player campaign? IS there a single-player campaign? I don't have any interest in MP at all.

SOE is on Steam now aswell.

EverQuest 1 & 2, Vanguard and Pirates (YARR HARR FIDDLE DEE DEE) are $15 each.

http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/Sony Online Entertainment/

[quote name='coleipoo']Also, I don't understand why some people prefer controller over mouse and keyboard....but that's just me[/QUOTE]I wouldn't use one with the games here, but the next time I dust off Prince of Persia I'll want to use a controller. They really botched that up...

[quote name='hal']C&C3 and Dead Space both look like deals now. Bought Mass Effect PC for 19.99 during the Christmas season (yes, it still has DRM, you just have a few more "free"installs now than before).[/quote]

Could you go into more detail on the DRM? I notice Crysis specifically mentions it, but Mass Effect and RA3 do not. I assumed that meant there was no extra DRM...

[quote name='Phokis']Could you go into more detail on the DRM? I notice Crysis specifically mentions it, but Mass Effect and RA3 do not. I assumed that meant there was no extra DRM...[/quote]

It's been confirmed by Bioware employees that Mass Effect only uses Steam's DRM.

Steam lists third-party DRM on the game's page. Crytek -- not EA -- insisted that SecuROM remain with the Crysis games.

Mouse and Keyboard just feel a bit wonky on it.

Apparently you can change a .ini file to get better mouse sensitivity. High DPI mice also work better. More info here.

[quote name='Vegan']A couple of questions about Rainbow Six:

>I haven't played a Rainbow Six game since 1999, when it was a convoluted strategy game. I couldn't even figure the damn thing out, with the plotting out teammate actions on a map prior to playing the level, etc.
I understand it's more of a traditional shooter now? I haven't kept up on it, so if anyone can clarify that would be great. I don't even know if it's 1st person or 3rd.[/quote]
They cut the planning elements since RB63 on the Xbox 1. So - no planning. Also: it goes to third person when you get into cover but is otherwise 1st person.

[quote name='Vegan']>Is this one of those shooters that was really designed to playing best on a console?[/quote]
Haven't played a PC one yet. I still have RB6V shrinkwrapped though :\

[quote name='Vegan']>How's the single-player campaign? IS there a single-player campaign? I don't have any interest in MP at all.[/quote]
Yes. I liked it, definitely some good set piece battles. Also they have offline T-hunt missions (at least on the x360 version) that I had lots of fun with.

The story is R6V2 is good but not great. I really loved the story in R6V1, and it's very good, but 2 tries to shoehorn in another team around the events of the first one, and it doesn't always work, nor is it really clear always how it fits into the first game's story. It's not a bad story, and it's got some good twists and turns, but it's not great either.

[quote name='eswat']SOE is on Steam now aswell.

EverQuest 1 & 2, Vanguard and Pirates (YARR HARR FIDDLE DEE DEE) are $15 each.[/quote]

Odd addition unless they were simply just seeking exposure. SOE has had its own effective download system for a long time. One of the first companies i know that allowed you to completely download gigabytes worth of game files (understand this was 6-7 years ago when broadband was still very much a luxury). I wouldnt think the prices would be any cheaper than on the sony store either.

RA3 is tempting but i think i'll let it drop to $20.

[quote name='Vegan']How's the single-player campaign? IS there a single-player campaign? I don't have any interest in MP at all.[/quote]

Most reviews reported that the singleplayer was a bit shallow and exceptionally short. You'll also probably have no idea whats going on if you havent played the previous games. MP was actually where most of the value was. Of course this was back at full price. At 20 bucks, YMMV.

Well with the drop in price for C&C I'm thinking about biting, but now that this is it's new price I'm just curious if Steam will have a sale or something later on or soon like 5 dollars off. If not than I'm glad I didn't bite and get it at Best Buy when I saw it for that price earlier this month; much rather prefer to have it on Steam.

[quote name='dabebop']Well with the drop in price for C&C I'm thinking about biting, but now that this is it's new price I'm just curious if Steam will have a sale or something later on or soon like 5 dollars off[/quote]

Or how about waiting for the inevitable EA complete pack on sale after christmas next year? Thats probably what i'll end up doing.

[quote name='SL4IN']I would recommend using a controller with Dead Space. Mouse and Keyboard just feel a bit wonky on it.[/quote]
It's actually a Vsync related issue, if you turn off the Vsync in game and then put it on through the drivers is bypasses the 30FPS limit of the ingame and there isn't a weird floaty or laggy feeling to it.

[quote name='redline']Does RS Vegas 2 work with the 360 controller?[/quote]
Yeah, it has integrated support for it.

I know with the Mass Effect retail version there was some mention of a 1.02 patch that may come out that has a deauthorization tool. The one patch they did release last year barely fixed anything so it was kind of random that one of the devs hinted at a 1.02 patch on the forums last month. For me, the game ran worse with the 1.01 patch but if you wanted to play Bring Down The Sky, you had to be patched to use it. One of the most glaring problems that they never fixed is for Garrus. They swapped his high res face textures for the low res distance ones so for all the close ups and movies, you get a nice blurry no detail face on Garrus.

Bought R6V2, gonna buy Mass Effect now that I see that it's $19.99
I just sold my retail copy on ebay for about $22 in the hopes of rebuying it on steam for $30
Kick ass for me eh? :p

Mass Effect has all the same Awards as the Xbox 360 version but they only unlock stuff ingame and do not count toward your Xbox Live gamerscore.

Awesome deal this weekend. Just bought it. To all of you asking if it feels like a console game, no it doesn't. I have part 1 on both 360 and PC, and the PC version played alot better with k&m over the controller.

I played the first RS:V on my PC and it was an enjoyable experience. I prefer the tactical Rainbox Six games, though.

The game didn't suffer from poor control schemes as far as I remember. Just don't expect a hardcore tactical shooter. (note: using the Desert Eagle + riot shield combo makes you practically invincible)

I read about RSV2 having a lot of graphical problems, however I picked it up and have yet to have any. I have only played it for about 10 minutes so far, but damn, the controls for this game are confusing. I keep switching weapons when I want to open doors and sending my teammates away when I am trying to jump.

[quote name='Cheadyp']I read about RSV2 having a lot of graphical problems, however I picked it up and have yet to have any. I have only played it for about 10 minutes so far, but damn, the controls for this game are confusing. I keep switching weapons when I want to open doors and sending my teammates away when I am trying to jump.[/quote]

i believe there is no jump in the RS:V series. as far as i know.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']i believe there is no jump in the RS:V series. as far as i know.[/quote]

Yeah I know, but its just instinct for me to press spacebar to jump. When it doesn't make me jump I just get confused. I am sure I'll get used to the controls eventually though.

Anyone else have problems with the Red Alert 3 demo on Steam? It crashes at launch for me, even after Steam verified the game's cache integrity. Redownloading now...

*Edit: still doesn't work after redownloading :( Going to try downloading it from somewhere else but now I'm not sure about buying it on Steam if I like it.

[quote name='Cheadyp']Yeah I know, but its just instinct for me to press spacebar to jump. When it doesn't make me jump I just get confused. I am sure I'll get used to the controls eventually though.[/quote]

Have you ever seen dudes like that in real life jumping while engaging the enemy? I sure haven't.

[quote name='Animefalcon']i didnt pick RS:V pc version cause it poor port. is RS:V2 better?[/quote]It's a good game but unfortunately it's still a poor port,

bread's done
Back