STEAM Weekend Deal: X-COM Complete Pack $4.99

[quote name='chrisnsally']X-Com is still regarded by many as one of the best games of all time - it's been at the top of several lists (no, I don't recall which).[/quote]

IGN's Top 25 PC Games of All Time

Synopsis: It may be old as hell and you may have to actually disable DirectDraw to get it to run these days but there's still no PC game that can compete with the mighty X-COM. Conceptually it's one of the finest strategy games to ever appear on any system. Putting the player in charge of a worldwide defense against an alien invasion, the original X-COM combined elements of sophisticated base management, high-tech research, engaging roleplaying, thrilling tactical combat and a tense, terrifying story to create an experience that has yet to be duplicated by any other game. Leading your squads on missions to reclaim crashed UFOs or fighting house to house in an effort to repel alien terror attacks on major cities throughout the world were the highlights of the game but X-COM has plenty of other pleasures in store, from juggling personnel and equipment to keeping the nations of the world happy enough to sustain your budget. Simply put, there's no excuse for strategy fans not to break this one out and play through it again.

How the hell did I know that? :)

(I now have four of their top 10 on Steam. Cool.)

Steam has rejected my credit card 3 times in a row... The same one that I use for all my Steam purchases and which definitely has available funds. Anyone else having problems?

EDIT: Resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']Steam has rejected my credit card 3 times in a row... The same one that I use for all my Steam purchases and which definitely has available funds. Anyone else having problems?[/quote]

The only times I'm ever rejected are either because I typed in the wrong confirmation code near my signature on the card, or because I entered the Apt # on Line 1 when it's on Line 2 in the creditor's records.

[quote name='eastx']Steam has rejected my credit card 3 times in a row... The same one that I use for all my Steam purchases and which definitely has available funds. Anyone else having problems?[/QUOTE]

I had some issues during the holiday sale that sometimes some of the drop down menus (for state, country, etc) weren't "unlocking" correctly (for lack of a better word) and appearing to be things you had to type in-- so I'd type in my state, instead of selecting it from a drop down, and it refused the card.

I had to close Steam and restart it and try again... it finally started taking it.

FANTASTIC deal! I still break out XCOM from time to time-it's as good as everyone says! I haven't played the last two, which are supposed to be utter crap, but 1, 2, and 3 are worth WAY more than $5 people!! Hell, 1 or 2 alone is easily worth $40 if you go by gameplay. I love renaming my squad with friends/family names and seeing who survives. ;) I rank them 1, 2, and 3 in that order, although I never really got into Apocalypse, despite having started it several times. Something about it didn't feel as good as the first two.

And I think I got my copies at Egghead too.

Either that, or at Software, Etc. Anyone remember THEM? :D

[quote name='lordwow']I'm not sure my Mac would agree.[/QUOTE]

Use DOSBOX for Mac.

I repeat: it will run on whatever PC you're typing that from.

Awesome. This is one of those series I missed back in the early to mid 90s. Thanks a lot for the link OP, even if I'm only interested in the first two games. Running great on Vista so far.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Use DOSBOX for Mac.

I repeat: it will run on whatever PC you're typing that from.[/quote]

It isn't that it can't run, but that it can't install Steam. PPC Macs have no crossover software, and I don't think Wine will run in OSX on a PPC machine either. The games will run, but Steam won't.

[quote name='keithp']Either that, or at Software, Etc. Anyone remember THEM? :D[/quote]

Too much 90s nostalgia in this thread! I still have a bunch of strategy guides I bought from them...Transport Tycoon, Outpost, SimTower.

How about Incredible Universe? Fry's Electronics bought them out I think.

[quote name='kogged']It isn't that it can't run, but that it can't install Steam. PPC Macs have no crossover software, and I don't think Wine will run in OSX on a PPC machine either. The games will run, but Steam won't.[/QUOTE]

I never said anything about Steam.

As others have said, this is an absolute must-by for anyone interested in turn-based gaming (X-COM 1 and 2). You will get many, many hours out of the first game alone. Also, the steam forums are the best resource for compatibility questions and such. I had some minor glitches (sound, speed of the game) and found easy fixes in minutes. Runs great now.

Other than a cumbersome troop management system (or NO troop management system) and an annoying bug that throws away all ammo clips that aren't completely full at the end of a mission, the controls for X-COM 1 are wonderful. There is zero twitch involved, and tons of tactical thinking (without the need for memorizing complex commands or data). The essence of the game is moving your squad through an urban or a rural area and sweeping for baddies. You have to be extremely aware of sight-lines and about planning where an enemy might pop up.

To the guy who said he was getting killed by aliens he couldn't see--he wasn't using his head. If you run your guys out singly or in pairs, without covering each other, they will quickly die. If you tackle early missions at night, where aliens have a clear vision advantage, you will quickly die. If you use up all your action points to move, without leaving anything in reserve for reflex firing, you will die. Avoid those 3 simple mistakes, and you will dig this game.

Getting these games again has been like a trip in the Way-Back Machine. :applause:

Well, decided to pick this up. I already have at least the first 3 X-Com games in the original boxes, but have never had a chance to play them. This makes it more convenient (as I think the original X-Com is actually on floppy) and gets me 1 or 2 of the games I have not yet gotten.

[quote name='flix1']Well, decided to pick this up. I already have at least the first 3 X-Com games in the original boxes, but have never had a chance to play them. This makes it more convenient (as I think the original X-Com is actually on floppy) and gets me 1 or 2 of the games I have not yet gotten.[/QUOTE]

Wow, and I thought that I sat on unopened games for a long time. I bow to your superior backlog-procrastination skills, good sir.

bread's done
Back