stolen xbox... anything i can do?

GeneralJenkins

CAGiversary!
last night my roommates 360 was stolen. anything we can do to track down the guy that took it? should we call microsoft and cancel the live service? thanks for ur help.

make friends with the old gamertag. con them out of personal info and get medieval on their asses.

other than that there's not a whole lot you can do. I had an xbox stolen, I gave the cops some info and I never heard anything again.

My original xbox was stolen at a party I had a while back, there's really not much you can do unless the guy signs on xbox live on your account

Gahhhh... did they take anything else?

I heard stories like the above, if they log into the account MS can figure out where it is or something. If you can't get it back, I wish a red ring on them.

Also, check the local pawn shops over the next week or so. If you have the console serial number, you are able to identify your console.

[quote name='mvp828']If the guy signs on the IP is traceable..[/QUOTE]

No, it's not.

Microsoft will not hand over any info unless you get a court order saying they have to.

walrus.jpg

CALL THE POLICE

cool... looks like we'll try the police. and if that kid signs on we'll try to get info as well as checking craigslist and what not. thanks guys i want exactly sure if we could trace their ip thru microsoft but i guess not.

i feel sorry for you man. hope that system gets the red ring of death as soon as the culprit starts it up...
how did you guys put your gamercards on the sigs? Theres no sig option tho.

[quote name='Sporadic']No, it's not.

Microsoft will not hand over any info unless you get a court order saying they have to.[/quote]

Just depends.... I work security at my University, and we had a huge theft problem at the end of last year during the Spring term. We had 3 360s and 10 laptops stolen. The 360s were all recovered after Microsoft was contacted and the three respective Gamertags were put in a "Watch" type mode. A few of the laptops were also found at local pawnshops.

Best of luck to you OP, and like everyone else said, keep checking pawn shops/craigslist. I don't know if you are at a college, but if you are usually there are cameras in the hallways and IT or Security should be able to pull the tapes.

[quote name='mvp828']Just depends.... I work security at my University, and we had a huge theft problem at the end of last year during the Spring term. We had 3 360s and 10 laptops stolen. The 360s were all recovered after Microsoft was contacted and the three respective Gamertags were put in a "Watch" type mode. A few of the laptops were also found at local pawnshops.

Best of luck to you OP, and like everyone else said, keep checking pawn shops/craigslist. I don't know if you are at a college, but if you are usually there are cameras in the hallways and IT or Security should be able to pull the tapes.[/quote]

I am at school but i live off campus. i'll look into watch mode. thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your friends lost, hope everything works for you and hopefully the police can help you out and not be lazy.

I'm wondering if you can get a credit card company on your side. If they purchase anything with your 360 loaded credit card, it would be treated as fraud.

Visa/American Express/Etc. can be wonderful friends, and don't take kindly to that sort of BS.

[quote name='mvp828']Just depends.... I work security at my University, and we had a huge theft problem at the end of last year during the Spring term. We had 3 360s and 10 laptops stolen. The 360s were all recovered after Microsoft was contacted and the three respective Gamertags were put in a "Watch" type mode. A few of the laptops were also found at local pawnshops.

Best of luck to you OP, and like everyone else said, keep checking pawn shops/craigslist. I don't know if you are at a college, but if you are usually there are cameras in the hallways and IT or Security should be able to pull the tapes.[/quote]

I would imagine the watch mode would have to be requested by someone of authority, ie police or campus security, as that would have to go up to corporate/police relations or whatever Microsoft calls the group that works with law enforcement. I can almost guarantee 8004myxbox couldn't start the "watch mode."

bread's done
Back