Stranglehold for $9.99 Best Buy YMMV!!

I'd say it's not worth it. I picked it up from GameFly when it was on sale for $10 shipped. I traded in after playing an hour or two of it. Really flimsy controls and it feels like I've already played it (ehem... Enter the Matrix)

[quote name='Hybrid5006']I'd say it's not worth it. I picked it up from GameFly when it was on sale for $10 shipped. I traded in after playing an hour or two of it. Really flimsy controls and it feels like I've already played it (ehem... Enter the Matrix)[/QUOTE]

I gotta disagree with that. If you can find this for under 10 bucks that's a great buy, provided you like straight up action games. It has a slick presentation and some really fast paced action. Even at 19.99 it's a fun one.

I may need to check my BB. For $9.99 I may pick it up, I'm a huge Hard Boiled fan, but couldn't see myself spending $60 on this game, or $30 for the regular edition for that matter.

I'd say this is definitely worth it if you a looking for a fun, but mindless, action game to play for a weekend.

I got the Collector's Edition at Gamestop for around $12 bucks after using coupon + edge. I have to agree with other posters here and say this is a fun game.

[quote name='pacemakerguy']nice! is it for wii?[/quote]

Nah, only PS3 and 360 console wise. It's also a YMMV deal.

I really liked the demo for this and thought it would be a fun game to pick up sometime cheap and just have some mindless action. $10 would be sweet if they had it for PS3.

[quote name='pablo9000']I've not played the game, but this is probably worth it for the hd transfer of hardboiled that's on the disc[/QUOTE]

It's not the transfer is pretty bad

Stranglehold is the perfect rental. It plays well enough to make it fun, and it is short enough so that it never becomes too tedious. I had it out from GameFly and got all the main achievements for it in less than 2 weeks.

Hopefully now that it's cheap they'll finally adjust the price of those downloadable maps...

The games deffinatley worth 10 bucks. Try and look to see if you can find the collectors edition though because it comes with hard boiled.

I think it's a YMMV deal, but many Best Buy stores in general seem to be clearing them out. One BB I went to had them marked $14.00 with Clearance Stickers and another had them for $14.99. I'm guessing they're overstocked with piles of these.

Oh, I hope not... I bought a copy of Stranglehold for someone, but they didn't want it. So now I have an extra copy, but no receipt for the place I bought it from. Hopefully I can get rid of it because it's valueless.

The game is fine for 10 bucks. Nothing amazing, but definitely satisfying action. Controls are fine. If anything, the game's biggest flaw is how short and shallow it is. Levels get repetitive, enemies come in waves often. But it's polished and the action very over-the-top, in true John Woo style.

Again, if you like action games, this is a good buy at 10 bucks. I got it at 15 clearanced at target and don't regret it.

Checked one of my BB's and no Stranglehold deals still at $19.99. Pretty much BB didn't have anything at all resembling a deal other then I picked up a copy of Octomania for $9.XX

I missed out on this at TRU but my local Best Buy had it for $11.99 out the door in Portland, Oregon. There were several copies on the rack.

At my BB it first appeared near the register with other 50% off games, so it came to a whopping $10. However, a few weeks later they switched things around and moved the rack near the CDs and added some new titles. They also dropped the list price to $12...but left on all of the 50% off stickers.

Extreme YMMV, of course, but some locations on Long Island has had Stranglehold for as low as $5.99. I think all of those copies are long gone by now, though. Also, it was only for the 360 version, so if you're looking for the LE one for PS3...sorry.

I know the price tag that printed out for the printer on the PS3 standard edition copies has 'Clearance!' underlined and a $9.99 price tag.

That usually means corporate, I think.

It was in the clearence bin for $9.99 at my best buy, I might bite on it at this price, they had at least 20 copies. Thats the madison, wi east location.

If anyone has a copy of the PS3 version they would like to sell, that is what I am looking for. My BB's don't have it in stock at any price. I would pay $11 plus shipping for a PS3 version. Or I have an unopened copy for the 360 I could swap. Got it then changed my mind but too late to return it. So, anyone game?

I've updated the title because it had no relevant information (store) and I've added YMMV because this is one of those In-store clearances, not a Chain-wide clearance.

OP, please tell us what state/town this BB is in, to help out your fellow CAGs.

Edit: If any of you see a game cheaper at one store than another, give the location of the store, or that information isn't terribly helpful.

yeah i picked it up back on monday. that and nascar 08 for $10 as well. other highlights were def jam icon and doax2 at $10 each.

I picked it up at my local BBuy (27858 zip) last night for 9.99 also. They had about 20 copies as well. some in the racks, most on the shelf above.

Wow that's lucky. definitely YMMV, though, like you said (depending on the manager's decision). Actually, this might be better off in the regional deals subforum.

So, because of this thread, I totally went to Best Buy with the intention of getting a copy of Stranglehold. I totally went there, and I totally had the last copy in my hands. It was marked as a Manager's Special for 11.99, and I totally didn't want it anymore. So I put it back, and left.

So I come home, right? And I totally went and reviewed the shit outta this game online. Everyone likes it. So, of course, I'm liek, shaq-fu it, I'm going back there, totally expecting that the lone copy will be snagged, and a single heart shall be broken.

But, check this -- it was TOTALLY sitting there, just like waiting for me. Holy Shaq, right?

So I bring it up to the counter, and this is where it gets interesting -- it wasn't 11.99, oh no -- it was TOTALLY 9.99! I know!

But the savings don't just end there, my friends -- Mr. Luckychunk had 5 SHAQQIN' DOLLARS of BB Reward Certs, burning a dang ole hole in yonder pocket.

I used the HELL outta that cert, mang.

BANG

$4.99.

Holy Shaq.

How does he do it? I know, right? It's like, karma.

So fer liek 5 bucks and some crappy tax, I gots me a Hold of some Strangle.

(I see whut you did there)

So yeah, dumbass thread is now over.
[/over]

p.s. Thanks OP!

Have three, count THREE, Best Buys here in Tulsa and not a single copy of the friggin game in any of them. Figures.

Went to my local best buy, and they had a whole bunch of copies for $9.99 as well as one collector's edition for $20, which I snagged.

At my local BB, the price tag on the shelf said 12.99, but there was a sign above the rack that said 50% off all games on that particular end cap. Naturally, when it rang up at 9.99, I mentioned that it should've been $6.50. My neck still hurts from the whiplash I experienced when the clerk said "ok, no problem," rang it up at $6.50, and didn't involve a manager.

bread's done
Back