Stranglehold for PS3 9.99 at Best Buy

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Was this a clearance or the normal price?[/quote]
Most likely regular /clearance. The collector's edition is reg price $19.99 there online. I;m not sure about in-store.

Also the search function is an amazing tool. Old thread
You may wish to close this thread before the flamers get here!

Last edited by a moderator:
The price for the regular edition is still at $19.99 on Best Buy's website, meaning this was most likely a clearance deal.

I picked up the collectors edition for $19.99 at my best buy a few days ago. The audio on Hardboiled was out of sync for the entire movie, and the transfer wasn't the best. It's watchable I guess, but I was a bit disappointed. Considering $19.99 is the regular price for the standard edition though, I figured why not?

I stopped into the East side Best Buy in Madison, Wi today and they also had Stranglehold for the 360 for $19.99 + 50% off.. rang up as $13.xx so i had to show the guy the sign.

But it was in a clearance bin in the front that had some other games like All Pro 2k8 for $5 and Pimp My Ride

I would snag it if it was the Collector's Edition, but will pass since I already have it on 360. It is a great game for 10 bucks though. :D

I believe this is the regular in-store price.

Although the douglasville, ga store has the game for 7.99. So if you want to save $2, take a flight out to atlanta, take a $70 cab ride to Douglasville, back to cab, then flight home.

[quote name='guinaevere']Although the douglasville, ga store has the game for 7.99. So if you want to save $2, take a flight out to atlanta, take a $70 cab ride to Douglasville, back to cab, then flight home.[/quote]

LOL
:rofl:
Great idea!

[quote name='Firmkillernate']It was for the PS3, and it wasn't a clearance price. Normal edition -and it was the Best Buy in the Inland Empire, California.[/quote]

Which store in the IE did you get it from? I live in the IE also. :D

The PS3 regular version is on clearance for $17.99 at Reston, VA. I got mine for $12.99 (no tax weekend) since one of the boxes had $12.99 sticker price. They had to manually override it though.

[quote name='guinaevere']I believe this is the regular in-store price.

Although the douglasville, ga store has the game for 7.99. So if you want to save $2, take a flight out to atlanta, take a $70 cab ride to Douglasville, back to cab, then flight home.[/quote]

lol well good it's only a 20 min drive for me then.

I got the CE, and the movie is pretty awesome even though the voice acting blows
:(

I never managed to beat the game. I'm stuck at the part where you have to keep the musicians from dying.....but all they do is die.....

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Youd think someone whos been here over a year would know better.

What store, was it marked 9.99, what system, etc etc.[/quote]

Why, so you can go run over to Slickdeals and post it there?

Pfft.

[quote name='the_punisher']I got the CE, and the movie is pretty awesome even though the voice acting blows
:(

I never managed to beat the game. I'm stuck at the part where you have to keep the musicians from dying.....but all they do is die.....[/QUOTE]

Yea that part was a bitch. The musicians never died for me - I just kept getting killed. The guys in gas masks or whatever would completely destroy me. The key is that you have to keep using your special attacks and stay semi-close to your enemies so that they're not shooting across the room and hitting the musicians.

I might have to go check BB to see if it is 9.99. How are the framerate issues on the full game compared to the demo?

[quote name='morphineseason']Yea that part was a bitch. The musicians never died for me - I just kept getting killed. The guys in gas masks or whatever would completely destroy me. The key is that you have to keep using your special attacks and stay semi-close to your enemies so that they're not shooting across the room and hitting the musicians.[/QUOTE]

I stayed behind a pillar in the corner of the room and peeked out to shoot. It worked rather well in killing enemies and keeping the musicians alive.

But the PS3 version sucks. There's all sorts of hiccups, in cutscenes even, and the special edition's Hard Boiled sucks. The audio is out of sync in parts. I also think the PS3 version of Stranglehold has bad sound programming. It causes my PS3's sound to freak out at times. I would not recommend getting the PS3 version.

[quote name='Chuplayer']But the PS3 version sucks. There's all sorts of hiccups, in cutscenes even, and the special edition's Hard Boiled sucks. The audio is out of sync in parts. I also think the PS3 version of Stranglehold has bad sound programming. It causes my PS3's sound to freak out at times. I would not recommend getting the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any problems with the cutscenes, but then again this game wasn't supposed to feel realistic in any way. Its like the Matrix games, you just try to pull off the most absurd combos you can think of. As for the audio, its spoken in the wrong language just like any other kung fu movie so of course its going to be out of sync.

[quote name='missingno81']I haven't had any problems with the cutscenes, but then again this game wasn't supposed to feel realistic in any way. Its like the Matrix games, you just try to pull off the most absurd combos you can think of. As for the audio, its spoken in the wrong language just like any other kung fu movie so of course its going to be out of sync.[/QUOTE]

Edit: Sorry, I guess you were right. I do remember trying to watch it with it's Cantonese track and English subtitles and it didn't seem to match up, but upon further inspection, it does match up a lot better. I still notice that some parts are off a bit (mainly action sequences). Midway's response to the issue, according to a post at the official Stranglehold forum, is:

"After discussing your issue with the other departments we found out that the remastered version we received did not
include a remastered audio track plus the original audio was only available in mono. Because the audio was not
remastered some of the audio will be out of synch with the action on the screen. We apologize for any inconvenience
this may have caused.

Regards,
Midway Tech/Customer Support"

Another words: "We sold you a defective product. Hope you're not too angry."

As far as the game (PS3 version), I have also noticed several instances where the audio would all of a sudden get really static sounding, so it's definitely the game's fault in this case. There were a few times where the game actually froze my PS3. Once was during a cutscene, another time during gameplay, and another time when I was trying to connect to an online game. I noticed a corrupt game data file though, and I deleted that and the game data for Stranglehold, and then reinstalled the game patch and I didn't really notice any hiccups out of the ordinary aside from the audio issue.

The game in general is flawed and I'm sure the 360 version has its own share of bugs, so I wouldn't really recommend against either version. The PS3 version is more than playable and I've had a good time with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back