Street Fighter IV fightpads....rare?

Pck21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
So I just found the last SF IV fightpad (chun li) at my local GS and I went to look at the prices online for it before I opened it up. I'm speechless. Amazon marketplace is selling them at about $150 a piece and eBay prices are creeping up into the $100's. All of my local GS's are also sold out as I've been calling around. Should I open my fightpad since I really do want to use it, or should I sell it? Will MadCatz be making more of these fightpads?

[quote name='Pck21']So I just found the last SF IV fightpad (chun li) at my local GS and I went to look at the prices online for it before I opened it up. I'm speechless. Amazon marketplace is selling them at about $150 a piece and eBay prices are creeping up into the $100's. All of my local GS's are also sold out as I've been calling around. Should I open my fightpad since I really do want to use it, or should I sell it? Will MadCatz be making more of these fightpads?[/quote]

I'm sure supply will eventually catch up with demand. What do you need more? The money or a pad to enjoy the game? If you sell it right now, you will likely not find a pad for a few weeks. But, if you are in need of cash, then sell it wherever your profit would be maximized.

[quote name='dragonjud']I'm sure supply will eventually catch up with demand. What do you need more? The money or a pad to enjoy the game? If you sell it right now, you will likely not find a pad for a few weeks. But, if you are in need of cash, then sell it wherever your profit would be maximized.[/quote]

Hmm that's a great point. I actually bought it to play with it because my DS3 just doesn't cut it. I'll just keep it and enjoy! Thanks!

I don't even know about demand... all I know is that both of my local GameStops each got 2 360 pads around Friday of last week, and haven't been restocked yet. That's it.

So it may not really be demand, but lack of a large volume shipping. In fact didn't most people say that their Best Buys seemed to only get one of each character?

My guess is that people will pay too much now, and then there'll be a flood in a few weeks.

[quote name='007']I don't even know about demand... all I know is that both of my local GameStops each got 2 360 pads around Friday of last week, and haven't been restocked yet. That's it.

So it may not really be demand, but lack of a large volume shipping. In fact didn't most people say that their Best Buys seemed to only get one of each character?

My guess is that people will pay too much now, and then there'll be a flood in a few weeks.[/quote]

I guess that could also be related to supply here. Not many stores got many units and demand for them is pretty high, especially among the hardcore players. All of my GS's are completely wiped out from people buying them, not from lack of units, according to a lot of the stores I called. One guy even said he's hoping someone trades one in soon so he can finally pick one up lol.

Good news though! I found the one I really wanted (Ken) at another obscure store. My dad's work is actually over there and he picked it up for me lol. I guess I have two now in case one breaks...very cool!

I'm all for playing how you want to play, but if they are going for upwards of $100, sell the extra one and cover the costs of the first + some profit.

[quote name='lolwut?']I'm all for playing how you want to play, but if they are going for upwards of $100, sell the extra one and cover the costs of the first + some profit.[/quote]

Meh I might but if I sell it, it will just be above cost to be honest. Unless they keep going up, and people keep buying at that price, then I will certainly sell for a profit.

I'm just surprised at the limited quantity and huge demand for these things. Does anyone think they will make more?

[quote name='Arakias']I think I read Ryu is harder to find cause everyone wants him.[/quote]

Ah that makes sense. That's a classic case of supply and demand. I will probably sell my Chun Li since I wanted the Ken one anyways. I'm guessing Chun Li is not in high demand? lol :).

I also noticed that I could only find PS3 controllers (which are wireless by the way, 360 ones are not) and not 360 ones anywhere. That says a lot too...

[quote name='Pck21']Ah that makes sense. That's a classic case of supply and demand. I will probably sell my Chun Li since I wanted the Ken one anyways. I'm guessing Chun Li is not in high demand? lol :).

I also noticed that I could only find PS3 controllers (which are wireless by the way, 360 ones are not) and not 360 ones anywhere. That says a lot too...[/QUOTE]

well one of my friendly employees at gamestop tells me that the ps3 CE is pretty much sold out company-wide which was interesting.

she also said they weren't stocked with that many anyway :p

[quote name='MarkMan']Akuma is actually the harder one to find in retail stores.[/quote]

That one actually exists? Damn, it really is hard to find, I thought he was cancelled.

[quote name='Pck21']Meh I might but if I sell it, it will just be above cost to be honest. Unless they keep going up, and people keep buying at that price, then I will certainly sell for a profit.

I'm just surprised at the limited quantity and huge demand for these things. Does anyone think they will make more?[/quote]

If anything, I'm surprised people are buying these up since they're from Madcatz, which has almost always equated to being one of the worst third party accessory manufacturers.

But if it's a choice between a quick, easy buck or having two controllers, I'd definitely sell.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, but I also noticed that the GameStop.com listing for them was completely taken down 2-3 days ago. It's not hidden, and the url takes you to a 'can't find it' page. It sucks, because that means no store locator function.

So, again, I don't think it's really a demand issue, but a supply issue. Maybe when MadCatz stalled the sticks because of issues, they stalled the pads as well. Weird, but I have to echo most of what's been said... if people are willing to pay that much, selling seems like a great option. They'll pop up again at some point.

Well I actually managed to find another one last night at another GS about 15 miles from my house...and it was the Ryu one! Of course I bought it so the Chun Li pad is up for sale now. I'm hoping that I can sell it for the price of all 3 so we'll see how that goes. I just want to get all of money back from these things.

By the way, the controller actually works pretty well. I was very surprised at the quality and the aesthetic appeal of the product. All I really wanted was the button layout but now I just might go out and buy some other fighting games because of this controller. Since Ken and Ryu are my favorite characters, I'll keep them both. I only bought the Chun Li out of necessity because I just wanted a controller. Good stuff. Thanks for all the replies and help though! Honestly, I had no idea that these things were so hard to find.

I had no idea either. I saw all of them available at Best Buy here in town, and I was looking at the Akuma one the other day thinking that it looked pretty cool, but I wasn't spending $40 on a controller I would use for 2-3 games.

So, funny story time. After reading this thread, my friend and I went back today out of curiousity and only saw Ryu, Chun Li and Blanka. I bought the Ryu one, while my friend bought the Chun Li one. An older couple came up to us while we were looking at the controllers and asked us if we were buying them. We were like, well, of course... and the lady grabbed the Blanka one and looked kind of pissy with our answers. I assume we just beat an eBay hoarder to the punch. Hehe. :)

I don't think it's worth bothering w/GS for me, I live in a pretty "tech-savvy" city.

Anyone know if these will be sold at Target, Wal-mart, Sears, etc, - any other places that may fall under the radar????

From this thread, it looks like they're ONLY at GS/Best Buy.....

[quote name='pfp']I don't think it's worth bothering w/GS for me, I live in a pretty "tech-savvy" city.

Anyone know if these will be sold at Target, Wal-mart, Sears, etc, - any other places that may fall under the radar????

From this thread, it looks like they're ONLY at GS/Best Buy.....[/quote]

If you have a Game Crazy you can look there, but otherwise it's only those two at retail.

looks like my best buy is dry on 'em.

Got another one around here to check tomorrow morning.

Oh, and for people really wanting 'em, best buy employee said he expects more early next week, very possibly Sunday for the weekly sale cycle.

[quote name='CaoPi']rare? I think it's just hype, the quality is not worth the price[/quote]

I agree, just like when MGS4 came out. The hype will die down and they'll be regular price once again.

[quote name='Pck21']So I just found the last SF IV fightpad (chun li) at my local GS and I went to look at the prices online for it before I opened it up. I'm speechless. Amazon marketplace is selling them at about $150 a piece and eBay prices are creeping up into the $100's. All of my local GS's are also sold out as I've been calling around. Should I open my fightpad since I really do want to use it, or should I sell it? Will MadCatz be making more of these fightpads?[/quote]

RARE? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! In one month, these will be worthless. Now, if they were the Chun Li KNEEpads, then that would be something...

[quote name='CaoPi']rare? I think it's just hype, the quality is not worth the price[/QUOTE]

For ps3 users the difference isn't as drastic but this game is almost unplayable on the crap 360 dpad, so anything that is a good alternative to it will sell well. And then there's other xbla games that gets good use out of it.

Honestly I'm surprised it took so long for a company to make a fighting controller with a good dpad, they all focused on arcade sticks, leaving people that want to play with a dpad out cold.

[quote name='karkyco']RARE? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! In one month, these will be worthless. Now, if they were the Chun Li KNEEpads, then that would be something...[/QUOTE]

Worthless? Really? I guess you really underestimate the fan base for this game. If Madcatz decides to release one more wave or not at all, you can watch these things sky rocket. No offense, but it also doesn't seem you understand supply and demand...

[quote name='Pck21']Worthless? Really? I guess you really underestimate the fan base for this game. If Madcatz decides to release one more wave or not at all, you can watch these things sky rocket. No offense, but it also doesn't seem you understand supply and demand...[/QUOTE]

the 15th Anniversary pad arent worth that much. The demand will be lower once the hype for the game dies down.

[quote name='62t']the 15th Anniversary pad arent worth that much. The demand will be lower once the hype for the game dies down.[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt about that. Right now though, demand is greater than supply, resulting a temporary shortage, making it "rare." I didn't mean to say that this controller is actually rare itself, just the initial production run. My question is, does it last? Will Madcatz be making another run or are they going to stand firm for a while. Prices have already dropped so I pulled my pad off. That way, there is less supply and hopefully demand sky rockets.

The controllers aren't "rare", there is just a lot of hype around them currently. Apparently too much hype, which is causing people to pay over reatail for them. The problem is anyone who finds one is buying them to put on ebay or amazon. If you look on ebay there are over 100+ listing for them. Once they hype dies down on the sticks and people stop buying from ebay for over retail you will see them come down to retail price. The people trying to flip them will want to get their money back to move on to the next hot trend. This happens with any "collectable" or "limited" item.

I am interested in getting one, since the 360 controller sucks for this game. I hope the hype dies down soon as I do not think paying double retail is worth it at this point.

If anyone has a Ken, Ryu, or Akuma for 360 and would like to sell for a reasonable price let me know.

I'd say, at this point.

They are pretty damn rare.

Especially going by the # of fightpads there are vs actual copies of the game that are out there.

[quote name='MarkMan']I'd say, at this point.

They are pretty damn rare.

Especially going by the # of fightpads there are vs actual copies of the game that are out there.[/QUOTE]

That's a great point. There are more actual copies of SF IV then there are fightpads. Now, not everyone is going to want a fightpad, but the people who do aren't finding them right now. Hence, demand is great than supply, and thus creates a "scarcity" or "rare" item.

[quote name='karkyco']RARE? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! In one month, these will be worthless. Now, if they were the Chun Li KNEEpads, then that would be something...[/quote]

You obviously never used one as I can say this is one of the best Dpads I've ever used, and I've used TONS of Dpads from the NES dpad, to the turbotouch, sega genesis six button and saturn pads all the way to current days. I've used tons of dpads and this is one of the best. It's not as good as the saturn pad, but it's very very close.

[quote name='Paco']You obviously never used one as I can say this is one of the best Dpads I've ever used, and I've used TONS of Dpads from the NES dpad, to the turbotouch, sega genesis six button and saturn pads all the way to current days. I've used tons of dpads and this is one of the best. It's not as good as the saturn pad, but it's very very close.[/QUOTE]

I can attest to that. These pads are one of the best controllers I have ever used, period. I have put mine through hell by mashing buttons, throwing it to the ground, and simply crushing the thing in my hands during an intense battle and it has not broken, squeaked, cracked, or had stuck buttons. It works just as well as the day I took it out of the package. Great controller Madcatz put out...finally.

[quote name='MarkMan']Glad you guys like em.[/quote]

A lot more aesthetically pleasing than the garbage for the 15th Anniversary, I'll say that. I'm sure mine will retire to just being a shiny trophy on the shelf once the next game comes along, I won't lie. It's a lot better on my hand than the sixaxis dpad though. Definitely don't feel the need to scald my hands in boiling water to get feeling in them after using this.

I almost bought a Ken 360 pad @ BB, but I already have a stick, so I passed.

Now I'm kind of regretting it. :/

I wonder... do you guys know whether or not the pads were meant to click down? sometimes I press it too hard and it gets stuck. :oops: Only happened once but I was just wondering if the click's there for the L3 input.

[quote name='distgfx']I wonder... do you guys know whether or not the pads were meant to click down? sometimes I press it too hard and it gets stuck. :oops: Only happened once but I was just wondering if the click's there for the L3 input.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the pad or the stick? I don't think there's an L3 input on the pad unless you flip the switch on the bottom. Even at that point, it's just the dpad emulating an L3 or R3 input so I don't think there's pressing down on the dpad or anything. I could be wrong though. My buttons have yet to get stuck and that's after mashing them down a few times during some intense online battles and frustrating battles against Seth and Bison (who have become my mortal enemies now haha).

As far as the quality of the pad, both usability and aesthetic artwork, it is better than I could have imagined. My mom saw one of the pads I have and remarked on how "cool" it looked compared to all my other accessories. She's usually not one to care or even look at my game stuff so yea. I had some more intense online battles last night and the controller performed beautifully again. I also figured out how to use the turbo button feature and that's actually pretty handy for combos and stuff. Instead of mashing the buttons, you just hold them down and it acts as though you're pressing them repeatedly. I was ticking off a someone online using this feature because he kept jumping at me and I just continually punched and kicked in the corner. He beat me in the end but I fucked up his initial strategy.

I spotted these two listings on Amazon when I was checking out prices yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/SFIV-FightPad...3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1235580608&sr=8-13

http://www.amazon.com/SFIV-FightPad...2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1235580608&sr=8-12

They were priced at slightly less than retail ($39.84, I think) and both sold out extremely quickly. The UPCs match those of the other Fightpads, but they're simply listed as "assorted" instead of giving buyers the option to choose which character.

The only weird part about the listings is that they're listed as manufactured by MadCatz/Saitek instead of simply MadCatz, so I'm wondering if they were actually the same Fightpads we're all talking about here or some cheap knockoff using the same name.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']I spotted these two listings on Amazon when I was checking out prices yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/SFIV-FightPad...3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1235580608&sr=8-13

http://www.amazon.com/SFIV-FightPad...2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1235580608&sr=8-12

They were priced at slightly less than retail ($39.84, I think) and both sold out extremely quickly. The UPCs match those of the other Fightpads, but they're simply listed as "assorted" instead of giving buyers the option to choose which character.

The only weird part about the listings is that they're listed as manufactured by MadCatz/Saitek instead of simply MadCatz, so I'm wondering if they were actually the same Fightpads we're all talking about here or some cheap knockoff using the same name.[/QUOTE]

I saw those too and the Saitek name threw me off. I don't think Madcatz or Saitek are the same company so I'm going to guess that they are knock offs. However, it still shows that there's a demand for them if they are going quickly at the normal retail price. I guess with the economy the way it is, people are now less likely to splurge on stuff like controllers.

[quote name='biuevenom']Madcatz owns saitek.[/QUOTE]

Well, I ordered one at the $39 price. Worst comes to worse, I'll A-to-Z the seller's ass, but they appear to have been around for a while.

Who knows? I may have actually gotten lucky.

bread's done
Back