Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

Can anyone tell me the properties of an Ultra? Can it be comboed into or can you only juggle/Focus Attack/Plain attack into it because every time I try to combo into an ultra with my regular combo, I end up pulling the EX move.

Ya I know what you mean. I've never been interested in a fighting game till now, and I'm not even looking forward to blazblue or tekken...the art styles just don't interest me. Something about this game is fun, even if you can't do any pro combos xD
This game is sure to be a blast with friends on weekends

LOL i havent played this game in like 3 or 4 days and i go online to fight. Lose 2 matches. Then i fight this guy named SerpicoX and he picked Blanka and i picked Sagat. I won the first round and he quits, sends me a message saying "sry but too boring :)". Yes i guess the game is boring if you lose.

[quote name='strdr4']Can anyone tell me the properties of an Ultra? Can it be comboed into or can you only juggle/Focus Attack/Plain attack into it because every time I try to combo into an ultra with my regular combo, I end up pulling the EX move.[/quote]

depends on the ultra, use training mode, all the fancy combos for every character are in there. If you can't get the timing, just search for it on youtube, I think there's videos of ppl doing all of the training modes.

[quote name='The 7th Number']LOL i havent played this game in like 3 or 4 days and i go online to fight. Lose 2 matches. Then i fight this guy named SerpicoX and he picked Blanka and i picked Sagat. I won the first round and he quits, sends me a message saying "sry but too boring :)". Yes i guess the game is boring if you lose.[/QUOTE]ahahaha, I get bored if I win.

that's why my win count is like 65%... coz I like to play as characters I suck at and keep playing them until I stop losing.

I went from 2500 BP to 800 BP and then now I'm at like 1400 BP lol... all from playing Chun Li

Man its really annoying when im going for a focus attack and its broken with 1 hit. WTF? Plus when i block and moves still hit me. It doesnt happen all the time but damn!

The Fightpad i bought is well worth the 40 dollars i paid. after using it for quite some time i think its a must own unless you get one of the joysticks. But im not going to say its perfect. There are times when i do the input for a fireball and it doesnt work, or even another special move. Ive even tried pulling off an ultra for it not to work. Its not frequently, but its annoying when it does happen.

Oh and im really getting sick of the 2nd player waiting for me to pick. So i assume he is going to take Ken, Ryu, Akuma. Then i pick sagat and they pick sagat. If i knew they were going to pick sagat i would pick someone different.

This game is SOOOO hard its kinda funny :p. I spent an hour with Abel doing some trials and I'm definitely getting (well hopefully) a bit better. For those who have fightpads or use the control pad, how do you pull off some of the ultras and stuff? Isn't it easier with the joystick? So far I find it easier, but if the control pad is actually better, I guess I should start using it more often...

[quote name='The 7th Number']Man its really annoying when im going for a focus attack and its broken with 1 hit. WTF?
[/QUOTE]

Certain moves have a Focus Crush effect in addition to it. You can tell these moves because it makes a special crashing sound and has a sort of mirror breaking effect.

An example of a move that breaks Focus is Blanka's Horizontal Ball (Charge B for 2 seconds then F + punch)

[quote name='The 7th Number']Plus when i block and moves still hit me. It doesnt happen all the time but damn![/QUOTE]

The only moves that will hit if you are blocking are throws (and Akuma's Raging Demon / Ultra Demon)

There are overhead attacks (for example: Any jumping attack, or Crimson Vipers one elbow move) that will hit you if you are duck blocking, and low attacks that will hit you if you are stand blocking (for example, almost any characters crouching roundhouse).

There are no moves that are straight up unblockable, except for a fully charged Focus Attack.

[quote name='Spades22']
Another thing - for those using controllers, what is your button layout?[/quote]
I use controller type B for my 360 controller. I got used to it playing HD Remix. Having heavy punch and heavy kick mapped to LB and RB makes more sense to me than having it mapped to RB and RT.

[quote name='strdr4']Can anyone tell me the properties of an Ultra? Can it be comboed into or can you only juggle/Focus Attack/Plain attack into it because every time I try to combo into an ultra with my regular combo, I end up pulling the EX move.[/quote]
There are very few moves that can cancel or link into an ultra. Ultras are the great equalizer and you only earn ultra meter by getting beat up so it wouldn't make sense to make it too easy to combo it. For most characters you'll have to find a way to launch them into the air and follow up with the ultra as they're coming down. Some examples uhmmm, if you finish a combo with Kens shoryuken and focus cancel dash forward before your feet leave the ground you can then hit them with the ultra as they're coming down. If you finish a combo with Sakuras EX hurricane kick you can finish up with her ultra when they're falling down as well.

Ken can link his jumping heavy kick into his ultra pretty easily but it's impossible to cancel or link anything into a jumping HK lol. So it has to be jumping HK to ultra which will more than likely get blocked on the jump in. Annnd joke character Dan can finish a combo up with his super taunt and cancel into his ultra without having to launch his opponent into the air. He's the only one in the game that can do this. But picking Dan won't help you win many matches. :p

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Certain moves have a Focus Crush effect in addition to it. You can tell these moves because it makes a special crashing sound and has a sort of mirror breaking effect.
[/quote]
Just to add to this: All armor breaking moves are listed in every characters moves list. They're the ones with a red star next to it.

I finally started winning some matches! Yesterday once I started winning I think I went like 6-8 or 6-9. My internet connection isn't great so I probably DC from 1/5 matches...but anyway, it was really sweet winning with Abel. His wheel kick always caught them off guard, and the kens never expected the roll :p. The best one was with a Guile. He won the first round by quite a bit, then in the 2nd round had about 1/6 HP and I had just a tiny sliver. He was spamming this range attack, then started being a jerk by taunting in the corner. I jumped in and sweep kicked him then did the change of direction and won...then owned him the next round. Probably his worst beat ever lol
Right now I'm actually managing fine. I'm using a madcatz controller (not a fightpad) and I've found myself really liking the heavy kick on LT. Also with this controller, the buttons are closer together so with the default button mapping it's easier to hit x and y at the same time.

I dont understand something. Why did they make certain characters moves where you have to hold back or down for 2 seconds. I was thinking about it, for someone like ken or ryu, you can do there moves within a second, on the spot. Where as someone like Bison or Balrog you have to wait to do them. If you mess up, you have to hold back or down for another 2 seconds. Which is really a disadvantage. Unless these characters are generally stronger, or these moves do more damage, i dont get it. Why didnt they just make these moves back forward punch or down up kick?

Well ive been doing some stats while playing online. I write down each character i fight. Here is a wrap up of who i fought in the last 50 matches.

10 Ken
10 Ryu
6 Akuma
4 Sagat
3 Zangief
3 Blanka
2 Cammy
2 Balrog
2 Dan
2 Sakura
1 Guile
1 Chun Li
1 Viper
1 Bison
1 Honda
1 Dhalsim

Ohh and during this period i was using Balrog, with alt attire ;) and i won 16 of 46 matches, 34% of my matches. Yeah i didnt start listing if i won or lost till a couple matches past. I have been playing 3 rounds now, instead of one. There were a few matches where i lost the first round, but won the next two rounds. Not sure how many matches i won the first round and lost the next two though.

Oh and i had a match vs this guy named SmokeyDaBear4ZO. It went 3 rounds and it was really close. I had like 1% life left and did my ultra to finish him off in round 3. He sent me a message, i assumed it was Good Game, cos it was a good match. But all he said was "fuck U". LOL

And one more thing, i really hate playing guys that do one move over and over. Its not that i win or lose that bothers me, cos i win sometimes and lose sometimes. But its just not fun to play against people like that. I hate when the player just runs and spams fireballs, or constantly jumps. I fought against this guy who kept doing the Electric move with Blanka and i almost beat him, but with Balrog i had trouble hitting him. I dont know if any of his moves actually beat the Electic move. I also hate playing against people who pick the same character as me. I dunno why, but its just not fun playing sagat vs sagat. I have no intrest in even playing a match like that.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I dont understand something. Why did they make certain characters moves where you have to hold back or down for 2 seconds. I was thinking about it, for someone like ken or ryu, you can do there moves within a second, on the spot. Where as someone like Bison or Balrog you have to wait to do them. If you mess up, you have to hold back or down for another 2 seconds. Which is really a disadvantage. Unless these characters are generally stronger, or these moves do more damage, i dont get it. Why didnt they just make these moves back forward punch or down up kick?[/quote]

Charging characters are only effective once you master how to buffer your charging attacks (that means charging the move while doing other moves) If you constantly train yourself to charge down/back when you have the chance then you can pull off moves in an instant. In Guile's case you simply have to press forward+P or up+K. In that sense it's alot easier to pull of than a shoryuken.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'll pick Balrog & Guile over Ken & Ryu anyday.[/quote]

I do like Gouken, but definitely Balrog > Ken & Ryu. I've lost a few matches to shotos, but thats generally someone who can play them pretty well.

I'm rather sick of losing 100+ points in ranked matches when I do lose and not getting anyone worth more than 38 points when I win.

[quote name='mike.m']I'm rather sick of losing 100+ points in ranked matches when I do lose and not getting anyone worth more than 38 points when I win.[/quote]

Amen to that. It shouldn't be as devastating to lose as it is. I've ended up starting to play more player matches because of this.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Amen to that. It shouldn't be as devastating to lose as it is. I've ended up starting to play more player matches because of this.[/quote]

Same, I just wanted to get myself up to 200 ranked wins.

[quote name='mike.m']Charge characters > Shoto.

That is all.[/quote]

Yeah personally i love using the LP+MP+HP punch with balrog to spin past fireballs and slamming them in their face with a big right hand. LOL. I just have a hard time getting balrogs ultra to work sometimes.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah personally i love using the LP+MP+HP punch with balrog to spin past fireballs and slamming them in their face with a big right hand. LOL. I just have a hard time getting balrogs ultra to work sometimes.[/QUOTE]

The best way to get it to work is either with a focus stun or immediately after a normal charging dash.

I don't know why I have such good luck using my Ultra online. Probably 65% of the time I use it it's landing, a lot of it has to do with unpredictability.

If they use a super and you block it, have it waiting for them. Do a jumping jab > Ducking jab+jab > Ultra combo also.

I also do it when THEY do a focus attack, because each punch is two hits so it eats their focus and tags them into it.

Balrog is strong not because of the ultra though. What he's strong for is charge buffering. Headbutt to a charging low straight to another headbutt or jabbing into a charging uppercut. Jabbing into a headbutt is a great way to chip too because if they counter with a rising move, like Shoryuken or Tiger Uppercut (which they usually counter a jab combo with), you headbutt past it and can duck into another jab combo to keep them guessing.

The charging overhand is good too for ducking blockers.

When you're facing Akuma, do a jab headbut to get past his ground fireballs, and as soon as Akuma jumps, do a dashing straight. If he throws a fireball, even a jab, you'll be past the range and tagging him on the way down.

I lost a ton in a row...people kept picking sagat! Man that guy is tough to beat...projectiles and powerful kicks and whatever else. Any tips on beating him?
Fought this person playing sakura who looked like fun. Will have to try and unlock her eventually lol

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah personally i love using the LP+MP+HP punch with balrog to spin past fireballs and slamming them in their face with a big right hand. LOL. I just have a hard time getting balrogs ultra to work sometimes.[/quote]

I rarely use the spin punch because I jab a lot so I can't dedicate myself to holding down buttons. I did realize something new with Balrog that I'm very surprised I didn't realize sooner. As if my Balrog wasn't solid enough, I'm using his overhead dash attack more now so I confuse people with the low and overhead dashes.

[quote name='Spades22']I lost a ton in a row...people kept picking sagat! Man that guy is tough to beat...projectiles and powerful kicks and whatever else. Any tips on beating him?
Fought this person playing sakura who looked like fun. Will have to try and unlock her eventually lol[/quote]

Sagat is susceptible to throws after the knees and uppercuts unless you have a character that you're quick to counterattack with. His weak knee has quick recovery so I just throw them after that. Otherwise I have no issues in getting close with Balrog because I can jump over fireballs or use EX dashes to move in close.

[quote name='NamelessMC']The best way to get it to work is either with a focus stun or immediately after a normal charging dash.

I don't know why I have such good luck using my Ultra online. Probably 65% of the time I use it it's landing, a lot of it has to do with unpredictability.

If they use a super and you block it, have it waiting for them. Do a jumping jab > Ducking jab+jab > Ultra combo also.

I also do it when THEY do a focus attack, because each punch is two hits so it eats their focus and tags them into it.

Balrog is strong not because of the ultra though. What he's strong for is charge buffering. Headbutt to a charging low straight to another headbutt or jabbing into a charging uppercut. Jabbing into a headbutt is a great way to chip too because if they counter with a rising move, like Shoryuken or Tiger Uppercut (which they usually counter a jab combo with), you headbutt past it and can duck into another jab combo to keep them guessing.

The charging overhand is good too for ducking blockers.

When you're facing Akuma, do a jab headbut to get past his ground fireballs, and as soon as Akuma jumps, do a dashing straight. If he throws a fireball, even a jab, you'll be past the range and tagging him on the way down.[/quote]

I use the dash with kick to knock Akuma out of the air when they try to throw an air fireball, which is usually at the start of the match. By then you've got them confused because they have no clue what to do so I can pounce them or jump in and let them miss with uppercuts and punish them.

[quote name='Spades22']I lost a ton in a row...people kept picking sagat! Man that guy is tough to beat...projectiles and powerful kicks and whatever else. Any tips on beating him?
Fought this person playing sakura who looked like fun. Will have to try and unlock her eventually lol[/quote]

Guile is my classic main, but I've found myself playing Sagat a lot. After getting dominated by a few Sagat's and being a fan of Sagat for a long time - I used to do a 2pt Guile, 1pt Sagat and 1pt Iori in CVS2 - I figured I'd use him more often.

Sagat is stupid powerful in IV. He has an offensive defense against just about anything. But I've beat plenty of Sagat's with my Guile too. If anything I think Ken is a bit overpowered, he still has a bit more speed than Ryu, but he's not as weak as he's been in the past - and his dragon punch is just out of hand if it hits you.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Guile is my classic main, but I've found myself playing Sagat a lot. After getting dominated by a few Sagat's and being a fan of Sagat for a long time - I used to do a 2pt Guile, 1pt Sagat and 1pt Iori in CVS2 - I figured I'd use him more often.

Sagat is stupid powerful in IV. He has an offensive defense against just about anything. But I've beat plenty of Sagat's with my Guile too. If anything I think Ken is a bit overpowered, he still has a bit more speed than Ryu, but he's not as weak as he's been in the past - and his dragon punch is just out of hand if it hits you.[/quote]

I dunno, I don't have a ton of trouble with Sagat. He can be powerful, but I guess I"ve played my friend so many times that I just know how to be very patient with Sagat.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah personally i love using the LP+MP+HP punch with balrog to spin past fireballs and slamming them in their face with a big right hand. LOL. I just have a hard time getting balrogs ultra to work sometimes.[/QUOTE]

The invulnerability of the TAP on startup in this game makes it a lot more useful. Personally I prefer using LK+MK+HK for charging the TAP. I just would rather have the punch buttons available to use the buffalo headbutt AND the TAP to get through fireball traps.

Also, I've been using Buffalo Headbutt -> Super/Ultra and it makes a nice little juggle combo. Just about every hit of the combo connects except the last one. The only limitation is you can't do it in the corner. It's tricky to get it down, but once you've got it it's relatively easy to connect. Just be sure to hold a kick button down or he'll do straight punches instead of the uppercuts.

Another thing that gets me often particularily with ryus and kens is that they are really aggressive, and the sequence of events goes --> get knocked down -->come up, get grabbed --> come up, get hit by a focus attack -->come up try to jump away get an uppercut --> rinse and repeat = KO!
When you're knocked down, how do you prevent this? I did it to one guy also where I'd jump over him back and forth as he got up and keep knocking him down >_>

I normally play a Crimson Viper, Abel, Guile and sometimes Ken. I was playing against a Seth player last night and the guy just quit on me when I was about the win the match. I was using Ken by the way. I play Guile a lot as well and found it kinda easy to defeat some of the Shotos. :)

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Guile is my classic main, but I've found myself playing Sagat a lot. After getting dominated by a few Sagat's and being a fan of Sagat for a long time - I used to do a 2pt Guile, 1pt Sagat and 1pt Iori in CVS2 - I figured I'd use him more often.

Sagat is stupid powerful in IV. He has an offensive defense against just about anything. But I've beat plenty of Sagat's with my Guile too. If anything I think Ken is a bit overpowered, he still has a bit more speed than Ryu, but he's not as weak as he's been in the past - and his dragon punch is just out of hand if it hits you.[/QUOTE]

I disagree on Ken. Ryu has way more flex than Ken does when it comes to set ups punishments. The one thing i find Ken to be better is Kara Throwing and poking. They really downgraded his target combo from third strike. again that close MP had priorty on wake ups. now he just eats it. He hasn't been weak. Ken is a beast in third strike. He was just as strong as ryu and still even kept his speed. They quite nerfed him in IV compared to the other 2 er 3 er 4 lol.
[quote name='raizanillusion']I normally play a Crimson Viper, Abel, Guile and sometimes Ken. I was playing against a Seth player last night and the guy just quit on me when I was about the win the match. I was using Ken by the way. I play Guile a lot as well and found it kinda easy to defeat some of the Shotos. :)[/QUOTE]

Shotos just rinse and repeat their play style. most do classic SF II combo Jump HK to Down HK. and then sit on their uppercut. Ive only met 3 Ryu players online that actually played him well. Everyone else was mostly the same.

Atleast i like how they took away Seth's defense. I still think he is hella cheap to use since he can SRK you 5 time in EX and that machine gun kick he has i think can combo right? mad cheesy.

I have never played against a Seth online and I doubt I'll have any problems with him. Now if it was Arcade Seth, that's a different story.

And Ken's SRK is ridiculous. I've seen it break through about every move in the game. 4 of Ken's SRK will literally kill you.

They need to make an update for the blind character selection, so we can't see them pick Ken, but don't have to wait til we pick first.

Man sometimes i hate these survival/timed challenges. Im on level 4 hard timed challenge. I got to round 14 and lost to Honda. Now i have to do it all over again. I beat level 3 hard the 2nd time through. First time i got to level 10 and lost to cammy. I hate cammy vs zangief, but i think i found a good solution against her.

50 more matches later i faced off against...

12 Ken
6 Sagat
6 Sakura (All Same Gamertag)
4 Akuma
3 Chun Li
3 Ryu
3 Fei Long
3 Blanka
2 Honda
2 Rose
1 Gen
1 Gouken
1 Guile
1 Cammy
1 Balrog
1 Dhalsim

100 matches total ....

22 Ken
13 Ryu
10 Akuma
10 Sagat
8 Sakura
6 Blanka
4 Chun Li
3 Zangief
3 Cammy
3 Balrog
3 Honda
3 Fei Long
2 Dan
2 Guile
2 Dalsim
2 Rose
1 Viper
1 Bison
1 Gen
1 Gouken

22% of the time it was against a Ken character.
45% of the time it was against the AkumaKenRyu three headed monster.

Yeah i played 20 more matches and 11 were Kens. *sigh*

So i decided to do some time attack challenge. Im on level 5 hard, and i always get to Bison and then lose. Ive done this 4 times now. Any tips? Im doing it with Zangief with the LP+MP+HP move. Time isnt an issue at all, its winning thats the problem. :(

EDIT: 5th time is the charm. ;) beat it. Got a ton of Japanese sign icons....too bad i dont know what they mean. I dont want to pick one that means "dumbass american" LOL

Still wouldnt mind knowing if Bisons head stomp is blockable, and how?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The 7th Number']

EDIT: 5th time is the charm. ;) beat it. Got a ton of Japanese sign icons....too bad i dont know what they mean. I dont want to pick one that means "dumbass american" LOL

Still wouldnt mind knowing if Bisons head stomp is blockable, and how?[/quote]

Ooooh that's how you get those. Sweet, time to finish up those hard trials!

And you just hold back to block it don't you? I'm pretty sure it can be used as a cross up as well so you'd have to block the other direction when that happens.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I want the animal icons. I only need Hard Survival trials 4 and 5. But 4 seems really hard. I only got to akuma and died. :([/quote]

I have them all except the last one, whichever that is. I use a squirrel for my icon because I'm just a squirrel trying to find a nut in this world.

[quote name='bs000']Ooooh that's how you get those. Sweet, time to finish up those hard trials!

And you just hold back to block it don't you? I'm pretty sure it can be used as a cross up as well so you'd have to block the other direction when that happens.[/quote]

You block high.

What is up with Abel's 3 hit combo with the grab at the end? That move always gets me and I have no idea how to counter it even if I block the first 2 hits. It looks deceptively slow but I can't figure it out.

[quote name='strdr4']What is up with Abel's 3 hit combo with the grab at the end? That move always gets me and I have no idea how to counter it even if I block the first 2 hits. It looks deceptively slow but I can't figure it out.[/quote]

The grab at the end can be blocked. Just keep holding back until it's over.

Are you serious? Omg. 10-15 times that move has been pulled on me and I have never blocked it for some reason.

Alright, time for payback on you Abels!

[quote name='strdr4']What is up with Abel's 3 hit combo with the grab at the end? That move always gets me and I have no idea how to counter it even if I block the first 2 hits. It looks deceptively slow but I can't figure it out.[/QUOTE]well if he follows up the first hit with punch, the move is an overhead.

if he follows it up with kick, it hits low.

your problem may be that you're blocking low and getting hit by the overhead, which is very common as it's very easy for Abel to link his rekka from a crouching strong.

bread's done
Back