Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

Just put this back in and have to say i'm not sure if I still like it or not. I hated playing nothing but Ken, Ryu and Sagats when it first came out. However now when I played it some one got pissed because I used blanka. I still lost and from the start of the match to the end of the last match all I was trying to do was his ball roll or the electric when the other player went in the air. I just wanted to remember how to do his moves as I really liked playing him when I started out. However now I take it he is cheap and I should enjoy my game as the other player put it. I think I will take their advice and try to enjoy it.

So I started another game only seeing how blanka is now cheap I picked Dhalsim after I went back to the training part of the game. After I remembered how to do his moves I went to live and a ranked match. Well I got my ass handed to me by Balrog. The player was to fast. In the second round I was able to get a few hits. I might have got at most 4. I was just in shock at how fast it was. I then picked Dhalsim again and fought Akuma and the same damn thing happend. It was like they were 3 times as fast and the last Akuma I played against was.

Before I changed to Dhalsim I went to the new championship mode. I played a free round and picked Blanka and fought someone playing Akuma. All they did was his projectile moves. I was able to beat him and get my 10th win online. Yes I have had the game from about the 2nd or 3rd day it was out and now only have 10 wins online. This player was no where near as fast as the second Akuma I fought. So that brings me to two things to wonder; have people goten that good that they are so quick that you can not even get a hit on them or are some people some how using a bot.

[quote name='sendme']Just put this back in and have to say i'm not sure if I still like it or not. I hated playing nothing but Ken, Ryu and Sagats when it first came out. However now when I played it some one got pissed because I used blanka. I still lost and from the start of the match to the end of the last match all I was trying to do was his ball roll or the electric when the other player went in the air. I just wanted to remember how to do his moves as I really liked playing him when I started out. However now I take it he is cheap and I should enjoy my game as the other player put it. I think I will take their advice and try to enjoy it.

So I started another game only seeing how blanka is now cheap I picked Dhalsim after I went back to the training part of the game. After I remembered how to do his moves I went to live and a ranked match. Well I got my ass handed to me by Balrog. The player was to fast. In the second round I was able to get a few hits. I might have got at most 4. I was just in shock at how fast it was. I then picked Dhalsim again and fought Akuma and the same damn thing happend. It was like they were 3 times as fast and the last Akuma I played against was.

Before I changed to Dhalsim I went to the new championship mode. I played a free round and picked Blanka and fought someone playing Akuma. All they did was his projectile moves. I was able to beat him and get my 10th win online. Yes I have had the game from about the 2nd or 3rd day it was out and now only have 10 wins online. This player was no where near as fast as the second Akuma I fought. So that brings me to two things to wonder; have people goten that good that they are so quick that you can not even get a hit on them or are some people some how using a bot.[/QUOTE]

I can beat scrubs with Balrog in 10 secs with a perfect. If you're using a weak character and aren't good with said character against a good Balrog user, you'll get squashed.

[quote name='mike.m']I can beat scrubs with Balrog in 10 secs with a perfect. If you're using a weak character and aren't good with said character against a good Balrog user, you'll get squashed.[/QUOTE]

I just find it a little odd that both of them were like that. It was only my 3rd and 4th match online in months but damn I didn't think I was that bad.

I can't dive kick Balrog cause of the way he stands D:. Headbutt to ultra is also ridiculous. Can I play too? Send me a msggg even if I'm not playing SF4 at the time. Cause usually I'm not playing because I have no one to play with D:. Or send me a FR. Do it do it

Remember, Rufus can hit Ultra off of a Galactic Tornado anywhere on screen against Balrog -- Use this to your advantage.

Dive Kicks trade with Headbutts as well, just don't trade too often because it is slightly in Balrogs favor damage wise.

So I started playing this again and I remember why I stopped. Losing makes you soo angry. It's like, you can't help it. Whether you're good or bad or whether you lose to a good or bad person. RAGE

That hacked video is that the pc version, ps3 or 360? I'm thinking about getting a pad for this game and other fighters. Some times I just want to sit back and play. The stick SFIV LE stick is hard to use like that. I was trying to do Blankas ball roll and was not able to do it till I sat up.

The hacks are for the PC version like this awesome Gothic Chun-Li Mod which looks great in game. I have not tried playing online yet with the PC version but now I see why so many people hated Seth as he is a pretty cheap boss fight. I do know people that have used hacks are at the top of the PC Leaderboard so hopefully they get banned as they have 9999999 wins so its pretty obvious who used the hacks so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMB52vjX6-M

Here are some better pics of the Chun-Li mod as the Youtube video is not the best quality.

Chun-Li 1

Chun-Li 2

Here are a couple of pics of a Cammy Mod I am using as well.

Cammy 1

Cammy 2

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shinryuu']So I started playing this again and I remember why I stopped. Losing makes you soo angry. It's like, you can't help it. Whether you're good or bad or whether you lose to a good or bad person. RAGE[/QUOTE]

I just hate how unsafe and slow everything is, plus the stupid hit detection.

Is there an issue with this game on a 64-bit OS? I thought I read somewhere that it isn't playable or something... I'd like to know before I buy it. I'll be annoyed too because I've been dying to install it in an arcade cab and I don't want to swap out computers for one game...

[quote name='javeryh']Is there an issue with this game on a 64-bit OS? I thought I read somewhere that it isn't playable or something... I'd like to know before I buy it. I'll be annoyed too because I've been dying to install it in an arcade cab and I don't want to swap out computers for one game...[/QUOTE]

I'm playing on Vista 64 bit. Installed and plays perfectly. No problems at all.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I had an EX Hori 2. It was fine for a while but like you, the buttons started to give way so I bought a TE stick.[/QUOTE]

yeah mines an ex2.

it was a hand-me-down from my friend who upgraded to a TE stick, so it was already used, and then it got sticky. Mostly the bottom left one.

I am interested in the TE stick even more since it is easily modded, so if a button gets sticky I can replace it easily.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Can someone recommend a stick? I don't want to pay $150 for a TE[/QUOTE]

The TE's are $130 on buy.com right now, and I have one for sale on EBay as well.

I never was much good with Arcade sticks, but am considering picking up a pad for this and MvC2. Are the pads pretty stout? I don't want to break the thing after just a few plays.

If anyone wants some good mid level competition feel free to add me on XBL.

Usually rotate Boxer/Rufus/Dictator, so if you need practice let me know

Just picked this up at gamestop today, first fighting game I've played in a while, having fun, though it's frustrating as heck. Seems the computer loves knocking me down, then just knocking me down again as soon as I get up, any way to avoid that. Also trying to go through arcade as Sakura, and I swear this must be some kind of a joke, since the fight doesn't seem fair, and I'm decent with Sakura, and got through the first several opponents with ease.

Practice more.

SFIV is pretty deep if you get into learning how to use the focus attacks and dash cancels. A tip would be to do a quick get up. You press LP+LK to get up faster. I'm sure there is another way(MK+MP or HK+HP) but that's what I usually use.

I don't see why you should have any problems with the computer since they get fooled by the same moves over and over. I do see why you would have a problem with Seth. Most female characters have lower life but compensate for it with their speed.

SFIV is the only fighting game I've played for more than 100 hours. I hope you get a stick one day and enjoy it as much as me and my friends. This is a wonderful fighting game. You made a great choice.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Practice more.

SFIV is pretty deep if you get into learning how to use the focus attacks and dash cancels. A tip would be to do a quick get up. You press LP+LK to get up faster. I'm sure there is another way(MK+MP or HK+HP) but that's what I usually use.

I don't see why you should have any problems with the computer since they get fooled by the same moves over and over. I do see why you would have a problem with Seth. Most female characters have lower life but compensate for it with their speed.

SFIV is the only fighting game I've played for more than 100 hours. I hope you get a stick one day and enjoy it as much as me and my friends. This is a wonderful fighting game. You made a great choice.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know you could press LP+LK to get up faster, might have to test it out, but yea, I usually just press down on the d-pad or joystick as you are about to hit the ground to get up quicker. Remember though, sometimes, it is not always better to get up faster when you are knocked down.

I'm close to 100 hours also :bouncy:

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I'm close to 100 hours also :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I'm actually 300+ hours mostly from my friends and online play, I love this game, I can't say that about any other fighting game to date, but blazblue is getting there and I can't wait til my KOFXII comes in.

Don't forget if you leave the game on it adds to your time also, I often leave the game on waiting for my friends to come on while I'm surfing CAG

Wow do I suck at this game. Even on Medium the computer is killing me. I went online and lost like 50 matches in a row too. I did have some friends over the other night and since we all equally suck we had a blast playing until about 1AM. I am trying to learn Chun Li but it isn't easy. I can pretty much do her Super now but the Ultra still gives me trouble (probably because I'm using a controller and pressing all 3 kick buttons at once isn't easy nevermind timing it right). I just figured out putting it on Very Easy to unlock characters otherwise I never would get them all.

[quote name='javeryh']Wow do I suck at this game. Even on Medium the computer is killing me. I went online and lost like 50 matches in a row too. I did have some friends over the other night and since we all equally suck we had a blast playing until about 1AM. I am trying to learn Chun Li but it isn't easy. I can pretty much do her Super now but the Ultra still gives me trouble (probably because I'm using a controller and pressing all 3 kick buttons at once isn't easy nevermind timing it right). I just figured out putting it on Very Easy to unlock characters otherwise I never would get them all.[/QUOTE]

Here is a tip that might make supers/ultras a little easier to pull off if you are playing on a controller. Map all 3x Punches/ 3x Kicks to one of the bumpers/triggers. I think by default they might be mapped to the left bumper/trigger? That way you don't have to pull a contortionists routine to try to hit all 3 punches/kicks but instead just hit the left bumper.

This might be a stupid question, but I spent about twenty minutes tonight trying to get Ryu's Ultra Combo to work in training. Quarter circle forward, quarter circle forward, left trigger (where I remapped the three punches to), and...either a Hadoken, or nothing.

I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong, or where to begin to try fixing it. Anyone have any suggestions on the ultra combos? :whistle2:(

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']This might be a stupid question, but I spent about twenty minutes tonight trying to get Ryu's Ultra Combo to work in training. Quarter circle forward, quarter circle forward, left trigger (where I remapped the three punches to), and...either a Hadoken, or nothing.

I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong, or where to begin to try fixing it. Anyone have any suggestions on the ultra combos? :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Hate to say it but, practice.

Are you using a stick or controller?

Turn on the option where it displays the buttons that you input and see if they match the ultra combo move set. If you can do a super (QCF, QCF, P), you should be able to pull off an ultra.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Hate to say it but, practice.

Are you using a stick or controller?

Turn on the option where it displays the buttons that you input and see if they match the ultra combo move set. If you can do a super (QCF, QCF, P), you should be able to pull off an ultra.[/QUOTE]

A controller. I'm too broke for a stick or pad, especially for a $20 game. :whistle2:(

I haven't had a problem doing the super, but I haven't pulled off an ultra once yet. I'm beginning to think that it might be in the timing of the QCF motions.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']A controller. I'm too broke for a stick or pad, especially for a $20 game. :whistle2:(

I haven't had a problem doing the super, but I haven't pulled off an ultra once yet. I'm beginning to think that it might be in the timing of the QCF motions.[/QUOTE]

maybe, when I was attempting to do ultras before, I somehow press the up button which led to my character jumping and no ultra. Just takes some practice, or you could use your analog. Before, I would use my right finger and thumb to do the motions of one the analog with my left hand on the left button and 80% of the time, a ultra popped out. Hope this helps

[quote name='greyzieoriental']I'm actually 300+ hours mostly from my friends and online play, I love this game, I can't say that about any other fighting game to date, but blazblue is getting there and I can't wait til my KOFXII comes in.

Don't forget if you leave the game on it adds to your time also, I often leave the game on waiting for my friends to come on while I'm surfing CAG[/QUOTE]

The timer for me glitched. It says i've played the game for 9999 hours and 99 minutes.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']A controller. I'm too broke for a stick or pad, especially for a $20 game. :whistle2:(

I haven't had a problem doing the super, but I haven't pulled off an ultra once yet. I'm beginning to think that it might be in the timing of the QCF motions.[/QUOTE]

Do you have Ultra Meter? (the thing next to your super meter will have a flame effect.)

If you can do the Super, then the timing of your QCF's is fine.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Do you have Ultra Meter? (the thing next to your super meter will have a flame effect.)

If you can do the Super, then the timing of your QCF's is fine.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts too when I read his post.

Go to training mode options and change the Ultra meter to infinite. You most likely have no meter because Ultra meter builds when the opponent damages you. You can also turn the super meter to infinite as well.

Curious to those with arcade sticks , what layout do you use. I've been messigna roudn with some layouts and could use some suggestions.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Curious to those with arcade sticks , what layout do you use. I've been messigna roudn with some layouts and could use some suggestions.[/QUOTE]

What kind of stick do you have? I have a TE stick and because when I initially got it, the A button didn't work, I use all 6 buttons on the outside leaving the inside column as nothing so I don't accidentally do anything stupid.

yeah, thanks. I'm using the LPMPHP set up as well. Played around with MPHPLP.

But I feel like the 8 button layout gives some players an advantage since they can have LP+MP+HP on one button. Or have like a grab for one too.

I'm using a TE stick also.

I love this damn game. Finally got my TE stick and retired my EX2 stick for now. I can't imagine how anyone uses a controller for this game. Think I might buy a SE stick and put Seimitsu parts in it. I don't think I need that many sticks but I want them anyway. I blame Markman.

My main: Ryu > Ken > Sakura

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']yeah, thanks. I'm using the LPMPHP set up as well. Played around with MPHPLP.

But I feel like the 8 button layout gives some players an advantage since they can have LP+MP+HP on one button. Or have like a grab for one too.

I'm using a TE stick also.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty standard to use Light/Medium/Hard or for us old school heads

Jab/Strong/Fierce
Short/Forward/Roundhouse

haha.

On the TE stick, the inner 6 buttons closest to the stick itself are in the japanese style "splayed" configuration. The outer 6 are the american style straight config. Yes, some people opt to map the "extra" buttons to 3xPunch/3xKicks but it's more natural for me just to ignore the outer 2 buttons, and play the game like it's setup at the arcade.

If anyone is having problems with the execution, it's probably cuz the dpad on the Xbox controller is pretty bad. I can't stress how much smoother execution is on a stick. I know it's an expensive investment, but if you're a fan of fighting games in general, it'll pay off. If, on the other hand, you just play SF4 from time to time, I guess it might not be worth it to some people.

I used to play with a controller until I switched to the SE stick. Made a huge difference for me. You can easily mod the stick and buttons with Sanwa parts if you have a Phillips screwdriver and a flathead screwdriver (to poke out the buttons). Or...you can just get the TE stick which already has full Sanwa parts.

The 360 D-pad is pretty bad but neither me or any of my friends have had any problems executing supers/ultras. The only problem I may have had was doing 720's, the button layouts, and maybe FADC. I've actually played some very good people that still use a 360 controller, sad but true.

It's all up to what you're comfortable with. It takes time to transition from controller to sticks. I went from 360 D-pad > Madcatz Fightpad > Hori EX2 > SE fightstick > TE Fightstick over a 2 month period. At first I couldn't perform fireballs well from the right side, I had to get use to it over hundreds of matches of my friends throwing me onto that side because they knew my weakness lol.

I actually put all Seimitsus in my TE sticks. I prefer Seimitsu buttons over Sanwa buttons. The sensitivity of Sanwas sometimes make me perform EX moves by accident. And I just got KOFXII today, time to put BlazBlue, SFIV, MvC2 aside. From all the bad reviews I'll probably be coming back soon.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']yeah, thanks. I'm using the LPMPHP set up as well. Played around with MPHPLP.

I'm using a TE stick also.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure some do, but I've been playing SF for so long that I don't feel I need to do that. Its all second nature to me, even getting used to throwing with two buttons instead of just one.

[quote name='R1V3R5']I love this damn game. Finally got my TE stick and retired my EX2 stick for now. I can't imagine how anyone uses a controller for this game. Think I might buy a SE stick and put Seimitsu parts in it. I don't think I need that many sticks but I want them anyway. I blame Markman.

My main: Ryu > Ken > Sakura[/QUOTE]

I blame myself too :)

Tell me about it, i'm contemplating buying a second stick to customize "just in case" someone comes over and wants to play. Don't know when the last time someone was over to play on an arcade stick either!

bread's done
Back