Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='Soodmeg']About the challenges and Trials...I will most likely never do them unless I am really bored. They are pretty much boring tacked on fluff in my opinion. You really get nothing out of beating the CPU for 7-19 rounds...or "surviving" which is just beating the CPU for 7-19 rounds. [/QUOTE]

Other then alternate colors?

Ehhh, colors dont really float my boat I guess. I would love to get the cheesemints but will most likely write them off as "to much effort for to little gain."

But hey, opinions, opinions, you guys have fun with them.

Thanks Pylis, I will try to just fake going in and then duck out at the last second and see how that works.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']how the hell are you supposed to do the hard trials when the attacks in the combo make you slide away from the opponent.[/QUOTE]what are you having problems with??

got my play 100 match cheesemint. blanka is a beast. I spent another 90minutes or so playing just to improve my battlepoints. Everytime i lose i drop from 1300 to 1200ish then each win is about 29-35bp since it never wants to match me against someone higher then 200bp still >< I tried the arcade mode thing and it still was being crap for me.

Overall 84-37 w/ 0-3 vs blanka. I have no clue what the hell to do against him. I really wish they split the player matches and the ranked. Its so annoying having to subtract to find out how im doing in ranked win/loss.

I'm happy to say that I've graduated from my Ryu/Ken exclusivity to become a terrible cammy/bison player. With the danger twins, I had a winning overall record (above .500), but felt bad about playing so many mirror matches. Also, my meager skill level (and the skill of my opponents) turned every match into a dragon punch/fireball fest.

As Cammy/Bison - I'm far worse (I'm about 4 and 16 with these characters), but it has definitely breathed new life into the game for me. It is extremely fulfilling doing a spinning knuckle through a fireball against a ryu/ken player!

Please feel free to add me if you are looking for a few easy victories!

I've got an unusual controller problem - I recently bought a stick (an ex 2 to test the waters to see if I a TE stick would be a good investment when they are re-released) and I can not for the life of me do a forward quarter circle motion!!! Fireballs/supers/ultras are gone from my combat because I can't pop the motion off reliably.

I wish it was a controller issue, but its a me issue. How can I be so sure? I can do a backwards quarter circle without an issue - regardless of whether I am facing left or right! I can do a half circle without much difficulty, but something about the quarter circle forward gives me trouble like no other. Anyone else have a weird issue like that using a stick? Or some advice to nailing quarter circles forward easier?

P.S. The stick has really opened me up to using charge based characters. I could never hit the charge moves on a pad as I usually ended up jumping, but I can nail the hell out of psycho crushers and scissor kicks now - even the supers! (hitting all three buttons at once is still tricky for me though)

I'm kicking ass with Guile now. Got my achievement for 10 straight online wins a little while ago.

Stupid question though, where do you find your win-loss records? I see where you can check battle points and wins, but I haven't seen anything where I can check my online losses.

I am so, so, so sucky at this game :(

Despite gaming for two decades, I've never played a 2d fighter seriously.... getting my ass handed to me online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sick of the cheesy Ryu/Ken players online. I've played mostly Ryu/Ken... Can someone pick someone else.

I think I'm going to stick to Arcade and Challange mood to have some fun.

Anyone else fight Abel ( did it during Guiles story) and just have him spam the shit out the throw where he spins you around his head and slams you. ( havent used him yet so idk the name) he seemed to get it off every damn time!!!

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm kicking ass with Guile now. Got my achievement for 10 straight online wins a little while ago.

Stupid question though, where do you find your win-loss records? I see where you can check battle points and wins, but I haven't seen anything where I can check my online losses.[/QUOTE]

player data>player record

number of fights - wins = losses

they also should've made it so that we couldn't see who our opponent is choosing

[quote name='greyzieoriental']player data>player record

number of fights - wins = losses

they also should've made it so that we couldn't see who our opponent is choosing[/quote]

Cool.

So far I am 21-12.

I'm starting to get the hang the of Boxer and Dhalsim in this game but I still finding myself losing matches because my patience wears thin lol. Seems like mind games play a bigger role now than they ever did, especially if you make good use of the focus and dash cancelling.

Seriously. fuck Rufus.

Been stuck on Seth for an hour now. I'll occasionally get him down to a sliver of health and suddenly everything is blocked and countered. Haven't had problems playing as any other characters so far. This is 90's Midway level bullshit.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']

I wish it was a controller issue, but its a me issue. How can I be so sure?

[/quote]

In training mode hit start and go down to training options, turn the INPUT DISPLAY option on and unpause. It'll show you all the button inputs you do on the left side of the screen. Do the quarter circle motion (should look like down arrow, down-right arrow, right arrow) and determine if it's the controller or if you just suck. ;)

[quote name='Mako1215']

Anyone else fight Abel ( did it during Guiles story) and just have him spam the shit out the throw where he spins you around his head and slams you. ( havent used him yet so idk the name) he seemed to get it off every damn time!!![/quote]

I don't know if this works for special grabs but if you try to grab him at the same time he tries to grab you it'll block the grab and you'll both be pushed backwards.

[quote name='Mako1215']Anyone else fight Abel ( did it during Guiles story) and just have him spam the shit out the throw where he spins you around his head and slams you. ( havent used him yet so idk the name) he seemed to get it off every damn time!!![/QUOTE]

Yes, and since it's a special move, you can't counter the grab (I don't think). I had a shit ton of trouble when I first started playing because I was using C. Viper to unlock Cammy, and I fucking suck with C. Viper. You'll get used to playing against Abel, but the first couple times you see him he's probably going to catch you off guard.

[quote name='Pylis']Yes, and since it's a special move, you can't counter the grab (I don't think). I had a shit ton of trouble when I first started playing because I was using C. Viper to unlock Cammy, and I fucking suck with C. Viper. You'll get used to playing against Abel, but the first couple times you see him he's probably going to catch you off guard.[/quote]

Yea I need to run through it with C.Vip so I can get Cammy. I love playin with her.

I will say Akumas Ultra is pretty bad ass.
While speaking on Akuma I was playing against someone when I was Sagat. I had them down to the point where one more hit and they were done. Wellll he got gay on me and keep running and fliping away from me. While flipping away he'd always use the downwards hadoken. Pissed me off. He got me in the end, but I hate tactics like that. I mean its not a tournament so just fight and have fun.

[quote name='Mako1215']Yea I need to run through it with C.Vip so I can get Cammy. I love playin with her.

I will say Akumas Ultra is pretty bad ass.
While speaking on Akuma I was playing against someone when I was Sagat. I had them down to the point where one more hit and they were done. Wellll he got gay on me and keep running and fliping away from me. While flipping away he'd always use the downwards hadoken. Pissed me off. He got me in the end, but I hate tactics like that. I mean its not a tournament so just fight and have fun.[/quote]

so... u wanted him to stand there and die to u?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm kicking ass with Guile now. Got my achievement for 10 straight online wins a little while ago.

Stupid question though, where do you find your win-loss records? I see where you can check battle points and wins, but I haven't seen anything where I can check my online losses.[/quote]

I received my TE stick yesterday and I started kicking some major ass with Guile online, but I always seem to find an Abel player at around my 7-8th win that just shuts me down.

TE stick is complete ownage FYI.

Did some player matches with friends last night and found out I love El Fuerte. I wanted to get good with one of the new characters and I attempted to learn Rufus but ended up enjoying Fuerte much more. I never really enjoyed playing as running characters in previous games like Guy & Maki so I was surprised that I found him to my liking.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']

I wish it was a controller issue, but its a me issue. How can I be so sure? I can do a backwards quarter circle without an issue - regardless of whether I am facing left or right! I can do a half circle without much difficulty, but something about the quarter circle forward gives me trouble like no other. Anyone else have a weird issue like that using a stick? Or some advice to nailing quarter circles forward easier?
[/quote]

On the stick I had issues w/ QCF and DP when i started playing. QCF was more of an issue then QCB. Normally I would just Flick QCF and then hit punch. My issue was only getting the input to work once in awhile. Go into training w/ Sagat and stand there and learn to spam/ mix up his fireballs.

My trick that I needed to learn was to do QCF and hold the forward input more and press kick or punch. Dont hold it to walk forward or anything just make a mental note to be sure to get all the way forward and hold it until u see ure fireball is released.
w/ QCB most of the time ure holding back to block low or high so i think its easier to pull those moves off since ure normally holding back or want to be in that position.

Also Mindzeye82 since u said u were learning Bison abuse his standing Roundhouse. Bad shotos get punished hard. They jump in s.RH. They wiff a DP, Throw or standing Roundhouse. Scissor Kicks are OP. if ure poking someone just do c.MK > EX SK. Does 200ish damage and really easy to pull off. Devil Reverse and Headstop mix up is really good for mind games. The easiest jump in combo for bison is j.HP>HP>SK. Does good damage and the timing on the sk is very easy to pick up.
Bison is all i know. i really need to pick someone up different. >

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Soodmeg, do you enjoy playing video games anymore?[/quote]

Yeah, I love me some video games.

I dont know why this is such a hard concept for people to understand about me. Its simple...I praise the good things but I will rip the bad things and I take both into account when I form an opinion of said game. I know everyone thinks I hate everything...not only here but in friends in real life but thats not the case.

I like this game a lot (hell I already have the 100 wins cheesemint!) but just because I like a game doesnt mean I will ignore/excuse the flaws. I am a very big advocate of, "taking the good and the bad."

The one thing I hate about gamers is the constant love/hate for everything and the inability for even professional reviews to like a game without glossing over the problems with it.

For example.
I have seen a ton of 5/5, perfect game reviews for this game yet all of them fail to mention the seemingly broken online aspect. The fact that it takes so long to get into a game should be mentioned and should be taken as a flaw that lowers ones grade.

I think the biggest thing about me is I rate things on a true 0-10 scale instead of a 7-10 scale that most reviews use. So a game can have a couple flaws and loose a couple points in my mind and still be fantastic where as most scales loosing 2 points = shit.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yeah, I love me some video games.

I dont know why this is such a hard concept for people to understand about me. Its simple...I praise the good things but I will rip the bad things and I take both into account when I form an opinion of said game. I know everyone thinks I hate everything...not only here but in friends in real life but thats not the case.

I like this game a lot (hell I already have the 100 wins cheesemint!) but just because I like a game doesnt mean I will ignore/excuse the flaws. I am a very big advocate of, "taking the good and the bad."

The one thing I hate about gamers is the constant love/hate for everything and the inability for even professional reviews to like a game without glossing over the problems with it.

For example.
I have seen a ton of 5/5, perfect game reviews for this game yet all of them fail to mention the seemingly broken online aspect. The fact that it takes so long to get into a game should be mentioned and should be taken as a flaw that lowers ones grade.

I think the biggest thing about me is I rate things on a true 0-10 scale instead of a 7-10 scale that most reviews use. So a game can have a couple flaws and loose a couple points in my mind and still be fantastic where as most scales loosing 2 points = shit.[/quote]

a true subjective arbitrary 0-10 scale?

[quote name='Mako1215']
While speaking on Akuma I was playing against someone when I was Sagat. I had them down to the point where one more hit and they were done. Wellll he got gay on me and keep running and fliping away from me. While flipping away he'd always use the downwards hadoken. Pissed me off. He got me in the end, but I hate tactics like that. I mean its not a tournament so just fight and have fun.[/quote]

Oh, come on... Every other post in here is someone whining about how other people play the game. I've ignored most of them but I can't take it anymore! If you're the one falling into all their traps then it's your own fault and not because someone is being cheap or whatever. Learn how to counter. If something is working and you keep falling for it then they're going to keep doing it until you stop sticking your finger in the light socket and you realize what you're doing is getting yourself hurt.

The moment you start worrying about what's "cheap" and "honorable" is the moment you start to lose and stop having fun.

[quote name='bs000']

The moment you start worrying about what's "cheap" and "honorable" is the moment you start to lose and stop having fun.[/quote]

so true. the first day I was having a hard time blocking j.HK>cr.HK or grab. I didn't complain thats all they did. I just felt really stupid for not figuring out how to get around it. (practice mode, record, playback $$$ learned how to block the new animations)

Its like a lot like a puzzle. You have to figure out how to beat what they are showing. Getting around a good defense is a lot of fun and challenging. In this case since you were playing sagat and he was running with Akuma. You can't block in the air. All you do is spam your high fireball until it catchs him running away. dont walk into his fireballs and expect him to stop running.

Well that depends on if you think winning = fun.

A lot of people dont my friend. A lot of people would rather have a good game.

The biggest problem is that game developer for some reason always ignore this aspect and group everyone in together. There needs to be better ways to sort people who want to win and people who just want to play. Player Matches have never seemed to actually work.

Over the long haul its does wear on your nerves to play against the same person with the same tactics. I have played over 120 games so far and I would say 80-95 were all against Ken with Ryu being a close 2nd. Regardless of whatever they tell themselves it does become a complete chore to play against 20-30 kens a day. And that goes far and above simply winning a online match. Its fucking absurd how many kens I have faced....I could care less that I beat most of them. The game is now less about playing and more about...guessing what type of Ken player I am going to go up against..spammer, jumper, shiruken waiter. Hell you can even change the name from Street Fighter to, "Ken and Ryu's Big Adventure."

Maybe capcom should make it so you could filter out players of some sort.

[quote name='bs000']Oh, come on... Every other post in here is someone whining about how other people play the game. I've ignored most of them but I can't take it anymore! If you're the one falling into all their traps then it's your own fault and not because someone is being cheap or whatever. Learn how to counter. If something is working and you keep falling for it then they're going to keep doing it until you stop sticking your finger in the light socket and you realize what you're doing is getting yourself hurt.

The moment you start worrying about what's "cheap" and "honorable" is the moment you start to lose and stop having fun.[/quote]

This is too true. Do you know how silly it is that I have to listen to the rare Zangief players curse me out, because I played a solid Keep away game with Goken, C.Viper, and Dhalsim? Really, his Weak punch SPD punishes EVERYTHING close up on REACTION, can't be teched out of, and also is hard to back dash from, when landing from bad jump-ins.

Yet people act like I'm SUPPOSE to fight them at throw range, and keep on jumping into their CONSTANT Spin Lariat spam. It's so ridiculous.

NO, I'M NOT JUMPING INTO A RANGE WHERE YOU'VE GOT SUPERIOR CONTROL!

How do you complain about Dhalsim playing a range game, really? What do they think, the man has stretchy limbs because it's funny to look at? I even told one guy, who said I was a "wimpy homosexual", to put it mildly "YOU HAVE GREEN HAND, which allows you to close range. If you wanted to close distance, use THAT, it's faster than your dash, and it cuts through fireballs, how can you complain about me NOT fighting toe-to-toe with you?!?"

This game has 25 Characters, yet I fight ROWS of Kens, sightly less Ryu's and Sagat's, and then the rare Akuma's who think doing any form of "Raging Demon" from full screen is an effective strategy... between that, and the whining over strategic play, people try very hard to test one's nerves so far... ^_^;;;

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I received my TE stick yesterday and I started kicking some major ass with Guile online, but I always seem to find an Abel player at around my 7-8th win that just shuts me down.

TE stick is complete ownage FYI.[/quote]

I'm pad only for all fighting games. I'm so used to using a pad now that I doubt I could use a stick well.

[quote name='bs000']Oh, come on... Every other post in here is someone whining about how other people play the game. I've ignored most of them but I can't take it anymore! If you're the one falling into all their traps then it's your own fault and not because someone is being cheap or whatever. Learn how to counter. If something is working and you keep falling for it then they're going to keep doing it until you stop sticking your finger in the light socket and you realize what you're doing is getting yourself hurt.

Oh, wait I think I misunderstood your point. Sorry for that.

I actually agree with this then. I am maining blanka right now and he seems to cause hell for most players because I use him as a counter attacker instead of a attacker.

I have come up with a pretty solid counter shoto game plan that does seem to piss everyone off because they cant do their precious fireball fireball shiruken jump kick thing.

:applause:

Now, back to kicking ass. :cool:

[quote name='bs000']The moment you start worrying about what's "cheap" and "honorable" is the moment you start to lose and stop having fun.[/quote]

You know what's cheap? 3 shoryukens in midair... Seth is cheap.

[quote name='TruVisionary']You know what's cheap? 3 shoryukens in midair... Seth is cheap.[/quote]

If he makes it an EX attack, it's 5.

[quote name='KingBroly']If he makes it an EX attack, it's 5.[/quote]

...God I hate him so much. On an unrelated note: IT'S SLIGHTLY UNDER 9000!!

So when is the sf4 cag tourny gonna start? I am sick of playing ranked now that im getting 18points per win. I dont get this "match by skill or greater" bullshit it doesn't work. I saw 2-3 people over 1k battle points when I was at 50bp, since then I have seen no one over 200bp in 70 some matches w/ me trying different ass settings. Ugh.

Is there any rumors going around for sf4 and maybe putting in some damn quarter rooms? (people have more then 1 friend w/ the game and might wanna play with them...)
Any hope they will split the player matches and ranked matches in your player data?

There is supposed to be some DLC coming out with new matchmaking modes and "championship" and "tournament" modes with a new ranking system. Last I heard anyways.

Also 1k isn't hard to get. The people who have 1k are able to play the game, nothing special.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I hate when you kick a guy, or even do a special move to a guy, but he grabs you right before you hit him and he takes no damage.[/quote]

Same, happens to me most often when I do focus attacks.

I can't figure out something. I finally unlocked Akuma, and then I fought Gouken, and beat him with a perfect I might add,but can't select him. I am able to play as Akuma after I beat him,but I'm not Gouken after I beat him. =/

Well I was able to get Akuma but Gouken is being a pain in the ass. I have every one but him and Seth unlocked and played it with Akuma and beat it. Now to get Gouken do I need to beat it with everyone and get 2 perfect and 3 ultras with no continues? I was using Zangief and first try I was able to do what I thought was 3 ultras and 2 perfect wins and had to fight Akuma again. By the way Zangief's ultras are a pain to do. I tried to do it again 5 more times and was only able to do them once or twice by the time I had to fight Seth. I would end up doing his special or would not be close enough. I know I could do Blanka's ultra no problem but his gets blocked to much, does not hit or does not do enough damage. I'm thinking about trying Akuma because I know as long as I can win each match and get the 2 perfects the 3 ultras should be no problem. Is their a cheap move with Akuma that you can spam and not get hit?

[quote name='will52']

Also 1k isn't hard to get. The people who have 1k are able to play the game, nothing special.[/quote]

I know 1k isn't hard...just im sitting at 1600bp and i keep fighting people w/ 0-200 so i only gain 18bp its annoying because if i fought someone around 1k i would get twice that amount.

Hopefully tourny mode is a straight rip from HDR which was a lot of fun.

[quote name='sendme']Well I was able to get Akuma but Gouken is being a pain in the ass. I have every one but him and Seth unlocked and played it with Akuma and beat it. Now to get Gouken do I need to beat it with everyone and get 2 perfect and 3 ultras with no continues? I was using Zangief and first try I was able to do what I thought was 3 ultras and 2 perfect wins and had to fight Akuma again. By the way Zangief's ultras are a pain to do. I tried to do it again 5 more times and was only able to do them once or twice by the time I had to fight Seth. I would end up doing his special or would not be close enough. I know I could do Blanka's ultra no problem but his gets blocked to much, does not hit or does not do enough damage. I'm thinking about trying Akuma because I know as long as I can win each match and get the 2 perfects the 3 ultras should be no problem. Is their a cheap move with Akuma that you can spam and not get hit?[/quote]

I heard to unlock Gouken you need to

- Unlock everyone but Gouken and Seth
- Beat the game with any character you beat the game with previously with one perfect Match and three Ultra Combo Finish matches. Also without using a continue.

I beat it last night on my first try, easiest with Bison. Got 2 perfects and 3 ultra winning moves and i faced him and unlocked him.

So - quick community poll about controllers

Right now I have an EX2 and fightpad, but would like to get another stick. A gamestop near me has a standard edition fight stick. Do I

A. Buy the Standard Edition Stick and hope that it isn't defective or use Madcatz support to repair it
B. Wait until the re-issue of tournament sticks and buy one of those

What would you do?

[quote name='Mindzeye82']So - quick community poll about controllers

Right now I have an EX2 and fightpad, but would like to get another stick. A gamestop near me has a standard edition fight stick. Do I

A. Buy the Standard Edition Stick and hope that it isn't defective or use Madcatz support to repair it
B. Wait until the re-issue of tournament sticks and buy one of those

What would you do?[/QUOTE]

re-issue or you could order sanwa parts and mod the hori ex 2 stick. You should actually ask this question in the Arcade stick thread. Markman can really help you out with that. i think he works for Namco.

How do you do akumas ultra and super. I dont get it. Is it LP,LP, Forward, LK, HP ? Seems more like a mortal kombat fatality.

Plus for some not so good players like me, who would be a good character to use and find good combos? So far most of the characters i can only get to level 3-4 of training moves before they get difficult.

[quote name='naiku']I know 1k isn't hard...just im sitting at 1600bp and i keep fighting people w/ 0-200 so i only gain 18bp its annoying because if i fought someone around 1k i would get twice that amount.

Hopefully tourny mode is a straight rip from HDR which was a lot of fun.[/quote]

I thought I read somewhere there was a setting to match with people who are greater than or equal to you BP wise. I thought...

Right now the points don't mean anything as far as I know. I could completely see the arguement if there was an achievement or something to unlock (as far as I know there isn't). But at this point they don't really do anything for you, other than working as a half assed ranking system.

Last I checked (2 or 3 days back), an Asian dude was pushin 500k:drool:... thats dedication.

bread's done
Back